Playstation Deals, PS Plus games, and Discussion

psunami

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Thanks to Frisky for all of the hard work that he put in for the previous deals threads!

Feel free to post here about the newest Playstation deals, PS Plus games, and discussions about the previously mentioned items.

Official PlayStation™Store US

March 2024 games (available on March 5th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog

March 2024 games (available on March 19th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog
PlayStation Premium | Classics

Last edited:
I used to feel that way with always preferring the Xbox controllers. But the Dual Sense feels like it has the weight like those so I like it more than I did with the Dual Shocks. Still not quite as comfy as an Xbox but close.

Backwards compatibility cruft:

I bet you everybody thought that there was zero chance that Sony would remove BC from PS2 and PS3 as well. Just saying...
That's not actually true. The PS2 chip adds $30 to BOM, which is a big chunk of money in a system they were losing $200 a unit on. And a significant chunk of early buyers bought it for Beowulf clusters and other distributed processing systems for research, because it was extremely cheap compared to other methods, due to Sony subsidizing 1/4 the cost. Of course, those units never saw attachment rates for Sony to recoup. So they were going to cut costs no matter what.

What's was surprising is that they took it away permanently, without some models having them.

They even did a very similar thing when an update removed Linux support from PS3.

I don't think they will remove backwards compatibility but I know they will find a way to do so if it suits their needs.
Yea, and they lost a class action because of that. They will get one if they remove PS4 support.

PS4 can run PS2 games via emulation. I've bought a few but it only works from PSN.
Why didn't they make it so we can play our PS2 discs? Why can't I play PS2 games other than the 54 listed on Wikipedia?
Why couldn't I play PS1 games? Why can't I play PS2 or PS1 games on PS5?
The emulated ones were reworked with trophies.

The PS1/PS2/PSP/Vita have roughly the same architecture. That's why it's easy for PS1 to work on all of those.

It was surprising for the PS3 to play PS1 games, but it would have been a lot more work to allow it on PS4. If they had PS1 on PS4, the PS5 would have had it to, because the PS4 and PS5 have the same architecture.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is absolutely no way Sony will remove the ONE generation of BC they have when their Xbox competitor is highlighting such a full-featured version of it with their platform. Only if they somehow bury them again this generation as badly as last, and quickly, does that not become a huge liability.

There is also no potential cost benefit to doing so. It's baked right into the architecture of the chip.. that's why it's PS4 only. This was one of the main reasons for switching to x86 architecture last gen..

Still waiting on Tenchu Return from Darkness and SVC Chaos to be BC. Will buy an xbox the days this happens.

There definitely is a cost benefit. We aren't in the 6502 era, videogames don't just call to the underlying ISA, they have to go through all sorts of OS services. There are services that PS4 games use that PS5 games don't, and supporting those costs money, more than just supporting the PS5 services (and spending the money introducing new services future PS5 games can take advantage of).

Ever fiddle with hardware that's come out after several hardware and software revisions and look at a table of which is the earliest firmware you can load on your particular SKU? That's because someone has to put in the work and effort of making the software compatible with the new hardware. 

Indeed, we may even see something where "PS5 Next-gen UI 2.0" doesn't support PS4 BC and is installed on all the new revision consoles. "PS5 Next-gen UI 2.0 adds a bunch of great new features but removes support for PS4 backwards compatibility" etc. All they have to do is present it as a trade-off for "new features" and most consumers will gladly go along weighing the cost/benefit of upgrading. I already know what the defensive posts will say: "they aren't taking away anything from you, you can choose to upgrade to the new OS or keep the old one with BC support, you're so entitled". Then a year or so later when most people have upgraded they can quietly drop support for the old software entirely. 

Everything costs money. Microsoft obsessively makes sure things are backwards compatible because that's their company culture, but other companies don't. There are plenty of old iOS apps you can't install on a new iPhone, despite those phone's chips still supporting the entire ISA of the earlier phones. And in addition to the expense of obsession with BC, it comes with its flaws: like Windows 10 having at least four contradictory design languages among its applications.

Bunch of vita games showing up at 99cents on psprices today. Looks to be permanent price drops and not just a temporary discount or sale. I'm going to dust off my vita and pick up Grass Cutters, Steam Tactics and Awesome Pea 1&2 later tonight. Lots of games with easy platinum trophies among the selection, if that's your thing.

It is a sale; the company Sometimes You is advertising it as their last sale for the system, on account of the news that no new games will be released digitally after July.

Also, Resogun and Entwined are showing up as FREE on the Vita storefront.

I have them already but it actually says FREE and not a price.  Other games I own have a price next to the download button.

I guess, YMMV

I’m looking to upgrade my hdd on a super slim ps3 (16gb model). Is 2tb the max? I’ve been looking at a 1tb Toshiba HDWL110UZSVA (L200), 1tb WD 10SPZX, or 2tb WD 20SPZX. They’re all 2.5 Sata drives… Any suggestions?
From what I remember, you can install any capacity 2.5” SATA drive into the PS3, but it won’t properly recognize anything greater than 2TB. Not only that, there were reports that even if you could successfully install a 2TB drive, the system would only ever recognize 1.5TB of that, so you’re essentially wasting 500GB of space for no reason. There were also rumors that larger capacity drives were prone to corruption and force you to completely reformat and wipe the drive consistently. If you’re looking for a nice balance of price, speed upgrade and capacity, I’d probably go with a 1TB Firecuda SSHD: it’s faster than a normal hard drive, much more space than the built-in 16GB and it’s usually on sale for under $100, depending on whether you get it from Amazon or Newegg or somewhere else. Check it out: Seagate FireCuda 1TB Solid State Hybrid Drive Performance SSHD – 2.5 Inch SATA 6GB/s Flash Accelerated for Gaming PC Laptop - Frustration Free Packaging (ST1000LX015) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07H2549QS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_J0FF5MPSVW1VD2VBZ501

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have them already but it actually says FREE and not a price. Other games I own have a price next to the download button.

I guess, YMMV
Those are crossbuy games. I think both were on PS+, so if you claimed them, you get the Vita versions. I believe they're even permanent licenses, but I might be wrong.

I have them already but it actually says FREE and not a price. Other games I own have a price next to the download button.

I guess, YMMV
If you got Resogun via PS+, they made the PS3 and Vita ports later Cross Buy, so they're free and they remove the PS+ requirement for the PS4 version. Entwined also had PS3/Vita versions release later that are free via Cross Buy.

From what I remember, you can install any capacity 2.5” SATA drive into the PS3, but it won’t properly recognize anything greater than 2TB. Not only that, there were reports that even if you could successfully install a 2TB drive, the system would only ever recognize 1.5TB of that, so you’re essentially wasting 500GB of space for no reason. There were also rumors that larger capacity drives were prone to corruption and force you to completely reformat and wipe the drive consistently. If you’re looking for a nice balance of price, speed upgrade and capacity, I’d probably go with a 1TB Firecuda SSHD: it’s faster than a normal hard drive, much more space than the built-in 16GB and it’s usually on sale for under $100, depending on whether you get it from Amazon or Newegg or somewhere else. Check it out: Seagate FireCuda 1TB Solid State Hybrid Drive Performance SSHD – 2.5 Inch SATA 6GB/s Flash Accelerated for Gaming PC Laptop - Frustration Free Packaging (ST1000LX015) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07H2549QS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_J0FF5MPSVW1VD2VBZ501

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for this. I'll have to keep it in mind. Any recommendations on an external?

Thank you for this. I'll have to keep it in mind. Any recommendations on an external?
I think this thread explains upgrading the drive in a PS3 much better than I can:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS3/comments/mlanv1/chucking_an_ssd_in_the_ps3/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

As far as external drives are concerned, it’s a lot like cars, computers and musical instruments: they all perform the same function, so it’s just a matter of what brand you personally prefer. For example, Seagate had a huge scandal on their hands back in 2012-13 because a not-small number of their hard drives had the unfortunate tendency to fail in Apple’s 27-inch iMac line, so the tech world was wary of them for a long time afterwards. Personally, though, I’ve had a 2TB portable Seagate external hard drive as the primary backup source for my Apple laptops since 2012 and have never had a problem with it. On the flip side, Samsung and Crucial have two of the most lauded SSDs currently on the market, but I’ve seen more than my fair share of them fail, some with as little as 60 power-on hours. Drives fail: it’s a simple fact of technology. The best way to protect yourself from that inevitable outcome is to have at least two current backups on two different storage devices (an external HD and the cloud, for example).

Getting back to the point (sorry, the Apple tech who’s seen way too much came out for a moment there), if you’re looking for pure storage, one of Western Digital, Seagate, LaCie, Hitachi and/or Samsung will make an excellent quality drive your personality fits with. Just be cautious as PS3s don’t always recognize externals larger than 3TB if it’s not formatted correctly: I believe it has to be setup as FAT32. If you’re looking to play games off the external and want it to be as spiffy as possible, look for one of the above companies’ external SSDs to use (though they’re a bit more expensive than a normal external HD) or consider buying an internal SSD (either SATA or M2) along with an appropriate, cheap external enclosure to serve as a makeshift game drive. The PS3’s USB parts are only 2.0 speed, but load times, rendering and other aspects of downloaded games should show marked improvement over even a 7200rpm hard drive. Hope this helps! If I screwed up or overlooked something somewhere, please feel free to chime in and correct me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think this thread explains upgrading the drive in a PS3 much better than I can:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS3/comments/mlanv1/chucking_an_ssd_in_the_ps3/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

As far as external drives are concerned, it’s a lot like cars, computers and musical instruments: they all perform the same function, so it’s just a matter of what brand you personally prefer. For example, Seagate had a huge scandal on their hands back in 2012-13 because a not-small number of their hard drives had the unfortunate tendency to fail in Apple’s 27-inch iMac line, so the tech world was wary of them for a long time afterwards. Personally, though, I’ve had a 2TB portable Seagate external hard drive as the primary backup source for my Apple laptops since 2012 and have never had a problem with it. On the flip side, Samsung and Crucial have two of the most lauded SSDs currently on the market, but I’ve seen more than my fair share of them fail, some with as little as 60 power-on hours. Drives fail: it’s a simple fact of technology. The best way to protect yourself from that inevitable outcome is to have at least two current backups on two different storage devices (an external HD and the cloud, for example).

Getting back to the point (sorry, the Apple tech who’s seen way too much came out for a moment there), if you’re looking for pure storage, one of Western Digital, Seagate, LaCie, Hitachi and/or Samsung will make an excellent quality drive your personality fits with. Just be cautious as PS3s don’t always recognize externals larger than 3TB if it’s not formatted correctly: I believe it has to be setup as FAT32. If you’re looking to play games off the external and want it to be as spiffy as possible, look for one of the above companies’ external SSDs to use (though they’re a bit more expensive than a normal external HD) or consider buying an internal SSD (either SATA or M2) along with an appropriate, cheap external enclosure to serve as a makeshift game drive. The PS3’s USB parts are only 2.0 speed, but load times, rendering and other aspects of downloaded games should show marked improvement over even a 7200rpm hard drive. Hope this helps! If I screwed up or overlooked something somewhere, please feel free to chime in and correct me!

I back up all my data on cassette.

Thank you for your insights! Can you use an external with PS3 like with PS4? I thought that wasn’t possible.
Either way, replacing the hdd in the 16gb model needs to happen!

I back up all my data on cassette.
And then when you rewind to a previous saved state you are using a #2 pencil

trchavez416 thanks for the info. I'll probably pick up a wd one since I've had good luck with those. I've already formatted one before when I replaced the harddrive in my phat 40gb with one from my old laptop so at least that much I am aware of.

I just finally got around to putting a SSD into my PS3 slim last week, a Samsung Evo 870 500gb.  I never used the full 250gb that was originally in there so I figured a 500gb would do me.  The process was easy & plainless, decided to give a good cleaning as well.  Only booted it up to see if it was working correctly so haven't gotten around to actually use it yet to see a difference.  Now I also have another 500gb to put into the super slim model I still have sealed in box (though not for much longer I guess) in storage as a backup.

If you got Resogun via PS+, they made the PS3 and Vita ports later Cross Buy, so they're free and they remove the PS+ requirement for the PS4 version. Entwined also had PS3/Vita versions release later that are free via Cross Buy.
Yeah, I've had a handful of games like that.

Some of the arguments you guys get into, I tell ya.  Kudos to some of the really interesting and informational posts added to the discussion tho.  Other than that, it did seem like some folks were just picking a side and saying anything they could to support it.  Maybe it ain't always about logic.  But being an emotional lurker this time, I learned a thing or two.

Bunch of vita games showing up at 99cents on psprices today. Looks to be permanent price drops and not just a temporary discount or sale. I'm going to dust off my vita and pick up Grass Cutters, Steam Tactics and Awesome Pea 1&2 later tonight. Lots of games with easy platinum trophies among the selection, if that's your thing.
It is a sale; the company Sometimes You is advertising it as their last sale for the system, on account of the news that no new games will be released digitally after July.
I wish all of these games were cross-buy, but they aren't. And if you're looking for a fun game to add to the list, get Sigi. It's like Ghosts 'N Goblins meets Super Mario Bros with farts.

I played a little of Supermash today, but just when I was getting into it the game crashed. Is that gonna be relatively common?

Now I'm on the second story mission (a shmup/RPG mash), and every time I try, one of the random battles will fail to end after all the enemies stop spawning. I've been forced to restart about a dozen times already. I want to like this game, but it's off to a terrible start.

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1392091014056267780

Days of Play Celebration Sale

A Days of Play sale will kick off later this month, and the sale will feature PS4 and PS5 software titles, other select products, and more. Products on offer and prices will vary by region. We’ll have more details to share soon, so stay tuned!

Free Online Multiplayer Weekend

If you haven’t tried the online multiplayer benefit for PlayStation Plus yet, later this month, we’re hosting a free online multiplayer weekend where you’ll be able to access the online multiplayer modes in PS4 and PS5 games that you own. (Online multiplayer game sold separately. Requires internet connection and PlayStation Network account.)

Wildlands was a blast due to the amount of freedom it offered you. It gets rather repetitive the longer it goes on and the DLC is pointless. That aside if you can get it on a deep sale, then I'd say jump on it. 

Does anyone have an opinion on the ps5 upgrade for tony hawk? Do upgrades ever go on sale?
I'd be surprised if upgrades went on sale. I was looking at Life is Strange: Before the Storm and it has some "upgrades" which are full price while the base game or other versions of the game are on sale.

I picked up Tony Hawk on PS4 just yesterday via GameFly for $19.99 + shipping + 10% off code. Felt that and the $10 PS5 upgrade was worth the price of admission. I mean it's possible that it eventually becomes free, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Unrelated but has anyone recently had their PSN account locked? I haven't turned on my PS4 for a while nor logged into the PS store since last month to claim PS Plus games but I tried to log in just now and it said my account was locked. 

I don't have any emails or anything regarding my account being accessed or anything. 

I see the list of sales and at the top is:

• 1 Blue Orb
  • 100,000 Red Orbs
  • 2 Blue Orbs
  • 5 Blue Orbs
and my first thought was those are some weird names for games.
You should play 1 Blue Orb before 5 Blue Orbs, but 2 Blue Orbs is skippable IMO.

bread's done
Back