Playstation Deals, PS Plus games, and Discussion

psunami

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Thanks to Frisky for all of the hard work that he put in for the previous deals threads!

Feel free to post here about the newest Playstation deals, PS Plus games, and discussions about the previously mentioned items.

Official PlayStation™Store US

March 2024 games (available on March 5th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog

March 2024 games (available on March 19th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog
PlayStation Premium | Classics

Last edited:
So what's the deal with Dreams?  I don't want to make stuff.  Is there stuff on there worth playing, or will I just wish I could play content made by professionals instead the way I do with the Mario Maker games?  I was never into any of the Little Big Planet games either.

Spiderman 1 is essential. The next game will heavily focus on the continuation of that game. Miles morales is more like Uncharted Lost Legacy where the side characters shine, but will not carry the plot forward that much.
I haven't played any of the uncharted games. I own the ps3 ones but never played them. I should have added the nathan drake collection to my library when it was free but I didn't think I was ever going to get a ps4.

I haven't played any of the uncharted games. I own the ps3 ones but never played them. I should have added the nathan drake collection to my library when it was free but I didn't think I was ever going to get a ps4.
Lost Legacy was a spin-off starring a couple of the smaller characters from the main game series. Same gameplay format, but also a shorter campaign. I’m not even sure the Uncharted series has aged that well … keep ignoring it and play the remaster of Spider-man if you have a PS5, but even the regular game on PS4 is pretty impressive. The sequel to the main game will probably include story references to Miles Morales, but I think it’s setting up a bigger showdown with certain well-known Spider-man characters that don’t appear in the first game, that may or may not have sinister intent, be father’s of close friends, or disgruntled former coworkers.

The memory card thing is cool for sure. I think I have 3 PS1 memory cards and 3 PS2 memory cards. PS1 ones are easily know for painful memory management. PS2 wasn't as bad, but could be bad with a big collection. Too expensive for my blood though and I really don't play the PS1 anymore.

Good thing I wasn’t interested in squadrons lol and what is virtual fighter showdown? Complete with dlc or somethin?

I was confused as to why jump force character pass 2 was cheaper than pass 1 then I realized pass 1 has more characters. Still lame how they don’t even include JF medals. Ain’t nobody got time waiting for login bonuses and events

I've been playing Squadrons on Series S. Good game, but I always struggle with the controls on space/air combat games.

Curious to see how it looks in 4k instead of 1080p.

Good thing I wasn’t interested in squadrons lol and what is virtual fighter showdown? Complete with dlc or somethin?
I was confused as to why jump force character pass 2 was cheaper than pass 1 then I realized pass 1 has more characters. Still lame how they don’t even include JF medals. Ain’t nobody got time waiting for login bonuses and events
VF5 is a PS4 exclusive and I believe it’s been remastered completely using the Yakuza engine.

The memory card thing is cool for sure. I think I have 3 PS1 memory cards and 3 PS2 memory cards. PS1 ones are easily know for painful memory management. PS2 wasn't as bad, but could be bad with a big collection. Too expensive for my blood though and I really don't play the PS1 anymore.
My PS1's CD drive was replaced with an XStation, which makes the MemCard Pro a must have. Definitely overkill for the typical PS1 user, but I love that new devices are being made for old hardware.

I wonder if Sony has taken a page from the Nintendo playbook and decided to hold the line on first party prices for as long as possible.
I think this is spot on. Not sure they will be successful, but I think that’s what they are going to try and do this gen and not devalue first party titles.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if Sony has taken a page from the Nintendo playbook and decided to hold the line on first party prices for as long as possible.
I thinks this is spot on. Not sure they will be successful, but I think that’s what they are going to try and do this gen and not devalue first party titles.

I think all of these platforms care more about subscription services then individual game sales. They all want to be the Netflix of games.

But - the previous team has a proven way to move product through decent deals and incredible flash sales. Why are they killing one of their cash cows? Crazy.
Microsoft yes. Don’t see how you could think this is Sony’s strategy. They’ve left psnow or whatever the hell it’s called to die.

I think currently they are more interested in giant 3rd person single player action games that they can keep at a high value.

Sony hasn't had a good sale in at least 2 years now, not sure why anyone is surprised by how lousy this sale is. I've had $100 in my PS wallet for that time and have bought only a couple things in that span. The days of flash sales and 80% off sales seem to have left with Kaz, House and Layden.
Bro I spent more than $100 just in Silver in the past week. Expand your horizons

I thinks this is spot on. Not sure they will be successful, but I think that’s what they are going to try and do this gen and not devalue first party titles.

Microsoft yes. Don’t see how you could think this is Sony’s strategy. They’ve left psnow or whatever the hell it’s called to die.

I think currently they are more interested in giant 3rd person single player action games that they can keep at a high value.
Today was Sony Investor day, PS+ and PS Now generate a lot of revenue and they are seeing growth in both services. PS Now is seeing a massive increase in paid subscription from year to year.

Some other interesting stuff from the presentation, includes information that they will break even on the wholesale cost of the PS5 next June and the PS5 packaging material was designed to reduce plastic waste. Sony as a company has set aside 18 billion for strategic investment.

I only have PS+ and have no interest in getting PS Now in its current state, but I guess there are people who see value in it.

I have enough PSN credit for either Nioh Collection or Spiderman Ultimate Edition.  Is the Nioh collection worth the upgrade if I have the PS4 versions on disc (w/o DLC)? 

I have enough PSN credit for either Nioh Collection or Spiderman Ultimate Edition. Is the Nioh collection worth the upgrade if I have the PS4 versions on disc (w/o DLC)?
Well, maybe not for Nioh. You get the Nioh 2 PS5 upgrade for free with the PS4 version (but not the Nioh 1 upgrade). If you are already playing the PS4 version on your PS5 the upgrade isn't THAT big, it already ran great on the PS4 Pro (which is essentially what you get if you play the PS4 version on the PS5). If you are the Digital Foundry type that really get into the nuts and bolts, it might appeal to you. You can get a 120 hz mode on the PS5 Collection, but you have the TV to do it and as I understand it isn't super stable at that framerate.

Spider-man however, is worth the upgrade. 60hz rocks on that game on PS5, it plays like butter. And with the 60hz raytrace mode you get that silky smooth framerate with some of that next gen look.

Some good deals from the Days of Play sale:

Dragon Quest XI S - $25.99 - Square never goes below 50% on this series, so there's not much more of a drop for this if you're interested.

Lone Survivor: The Director's Cut - $0.99

NBA 2K21 - $29.39 - Cheapest deal on PS5 version so far

Rogue Aces - $2.59 - PS4/Vita

Stealth Inc 2: A Game of Clones - $0.99 - PS4/PS3/Vita

Titanfall 2 - $3.99

Torchlight II - $5.99

Two Tribes Pack: Rive & Toki Tori 2+ - $2.69 - $1.34

Ultratron - $0.99 - PS4/PS3/Vita

Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair - $8.99

Sonic Forces, Sonic Mania, and Team Sonic Racing are coming to PlayStation Now. Announced on the Sonic Central stream, though there are no dates yet.

Lost Judgment - Sonic the Fighters arcade cabinet in-game

Minecraft Sonic thing teased

Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 with Sonic suit character - 6/22

Two Point Hospital getting Sonic Pack - 7/30

Sonic Colors: Ultimate - 9/7 release

Sonic Origins collection with Sonic/2/3/Sonic & Knuckles/CD - 2022

Teased the next big Sonic game for 2022

I have enough PSN credit for either Nioh Collection or Spiderman Ultimate Edition. Is the Nioh collection worth the upgrade if I have the PS4 versions on disc (w/o DLC)?
I know you didn’t ask about Spider-Man, but I’m gonna throw my three cents in anyway, since most of the opinions I’ve been reading in this thread lately have been positive.

I spent $10 on the DLC-included PS4 version a couple years ago. I don’t regret paying that price or the time I spent on it, but it left me with no desire to play it again or seek out any sequels. The things that set the game apart most from similar Ubisoft-style open world games are the traversal system, which is probably the best thing about the game, and the combat, which is fun with caveats.

The traversal system, while mostly great when you’re just swinging from place to place in the city, isn’t quite accurate enough (in terms of getting to precise spots quickly) to make speedily following a relatively tight path simple, though this is what you have to do in a few mandatory chase sections, as well as several optional map activities. I failed most of those at least a couple times before managing to eke my way through—and many of them I failed several times, which was, as you might imagine, quite frustrating. It doesn’t seem to be a matter of a learning curve, either—I did every single optional activity in the game and DLC, and I never felt like a gained a sufficient level of control over quick and precise movement to do well at those sorts of challenges. I want to stress that getting around outside of these speed challenges feels great—you don’t have to be super precise super quickly for that—there just isn’t a whole lot you can do with it. Some more map activities that made use of it and that weren’t precision speed challenges would have gone a long way to making the game more fun for me.

As for combat, it feels kind of weird at first—or it did to me, anyway—but that does have a good learning curve, and by the middle of the game it felt good. It does suffer a bit from the same precision issues as traversal, but it’s generally not as big of a deal. The main problem with combat is that by the end of the game there’s just way, way too much of it. There’s probably a couple groups of enemies in every city block, and by that point in the game they have sniper rifles and rocket launchers that can hit you from a significant distance and do a ton of damage, so it’s hard to avoid them and impossible to ignore them. And that’s not even including all the combat-based map activities at that stage of the game, and there are a ton. It goes from fun to tedious really quick. This is a bit more nitpicky, but the combat system actively encourages you to jump around a lot in a fight, which makes sense, this is a Spider-Man game—except roughly halfway through the game, it introduces a new regular enemy type that actively punishes you for trying to get airborne, and that enemy type gets relatively common after that point. It’s hardly a dealbreaker, but it’s pretty obnoxious.

As for the rest of the game... it’s fine. It’s a pretty typical, though competent, Ubisoft-style open world. Doesn’t do anything groundbreaking. The story is decent enough, though suffers a bit from being in a video game—there’s too many villains for it to be entirely cohesive; there are references to other superheroes in the city (as you’d expect in a Marvel New York), but even in the worst situations in the game you don’t see any trace of them; that kind of thing. It makes sense for the structure of a video game, it’s just a bit nonsense if you stop to think about it. Uh, graphics are fine, and I’m sure they’re better in the remaster. I know they redid Peter’s face in that, not sure if they did anything to any of the others, but all the faces in the PS4 version were pretty uncanny valley. I think it was the animations more than the 3D modeling, but regardless every character in that game just looked kinda yuck to me. The DLC story was pretty garbage. Seemed really thrown together, had some pretty inconsistent characterization, just overall bleh.

Uh, tl;dr:
Traversal is fun but the lack of precision makes the several speed challenges throughout the game annoying at best.
Combat is pretty fun but oh my god there is too frigging much by the end of the game.
Rest of the game is okay. Rate it as good if you’re into Ubisoft-style open world.
DLC sucks.

Sony hasn't had a good sale in at least 2 years now, not sure why anyone is surprised by how lousy this sale is. I've had $100 in my PS wallet for that time and have bought only a couple things in that span. The days of flash sales and 80% off sales seem to have left with Kaz, House and Layden.
I dropped nearly $300 between the past two Indie game sales they've had in the past 6-8 months and there's probably 20 or so games I have my eye on. But if the sales arent for you they just arent for you

Those three Sonic games are now up on PS Now along with The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Complete Edition, Slay the Spire, and Car Mechanic Simulator.

Edit: Looks like they've been removed from the PS Now app's New Additions section.

Would be a pretty good month for PS Now if not for all the PS Plus crossover..
Just leaves Witcher 3 Complete, Team Sonic Racing, Car Mechanic Sim and Slay the Spire which is only an okay month. Arguably better than last month though, which is how I feel about the Plus line-up too.

I’ll chime in and say that the PSN sales are not as generous as they once were. It seems like these mega sales with hundreds of games end up having the same games on sale at the same prices time and time again. For example, TLOU 2 & GOT have been $30 and $40 respectively, on and off for 6 months.

That being said, I have been able to save a lot of money on games that I probably would have otherwise bought but never played just because they were cheap.

As an aside, I wonder if Sony is looking towards going the Nintendo route this gen and keeping their first-party game prices high. It sure seems that way.

I’ll chime in and say that the PSN sales are not as generous as they once were. It seems like these mega sales with hundreds of games end up having the same games on sale at the same prices time and time again. For example, TLOU 2 & GOT have been $30 and $40 respectively, on and off for 6 months.

That being said, I have been able to save a lot of money on games that I probably would have otherwise bought but never played just because they were cheap.

As an aside, I wonder if Sony is looking towards going the Nintendo route this gen and keeping their first-party game prices high. It sure seems that way.
Sony is genius!

Raise games to $70

Offer 10% off during mega sales

Sell game for regular price of $60

Profit!

That's called price anchoring. See, now you'll want it because it is on sale for 10% off!!!! Never mind the old price point was the current sale price. 

There's another factor to consider in this recent psn "sale" pricing. For the first time, many people are stuck with digital-only consoles. (No, im not counting the pspgo.)

bread's done
Back