Playstation Deals, PS Plus games, and Discussion

psunami

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Thanks to Frisky for all of the hard work that he put in for the previous deals threads!

Feel free to post here about the newest Playstation deals, PS Plus games, and discussions about the previously mentioned items.

Official PlayStation™Store US

March 2024 games (available on March 5th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog

March 2024 games (available on March 19th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog
PlayStation Premium | Classics

Last edited:
Dirt 5 isn't part of the BF sale. It's part of the November Savings sale which ends tomorrow 11/20. The BF sale is disappointing. The discounts aren't that high. I'm seeing physical prices at Walmart for much cheaper. I'll hold out for the Christmas Holiday sales.

Last edited by a moderator:
How many years can you stack PlayStation Plus? I heard that it was 3 years, but I Googled it and they said there was no limit. I'm not sure what the answer is.

The PS blog lists "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition" as part of the bf sale but the psn store shows the game for $39.99 with no discount. What gives? 

To answer for the PS5 exclusives I know of it's mainly Demon's Souls, Kena: Bridge of Spirits, Returnal, and Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart. There are PS console exclusives like Bugsnax, Deathloop, Final Fantasy 7 Intergrade, Ghost of Tsushima, Lost Judgement and Judgement, and Spider-Man and Miles Morales. It's not a lot, and I'm sure I'm forgetting more indie games, but I think I got the bigger AAA releases. The next big PS console exclusive is Horizon Forbidden West 02-18-2022 followed by Gran Turismo 7 on 03-04-2022. Note these are releasing for PS4 as well. They likely will not run as well, but you know how it is early in a console's lifetime. Just looking at this list, if you can't get a PS5, don't fret too much with this pretty barren landscape IMHO. Hopefully next year will bring more good exclusives.

I own Ghost of Tsushima on PS4, and the DIRECTOR’S CUT is currently still showing $29.99 for me.

Hm. Wondering if the price will update later, or if us early adopters are just out of luck this sale.

The prices updated and Skyrim SE for PS4 is $13. The anniversary edition update is $20 so I was able to get everything for $36. I'm so glad I didn't use my $50 amazon gift card on it last week! 

Oh, is it looking like those upgrades (Death Stranding, FFVIIR, this, whatever else) are going to be fixed price? I follow the logic, but I didn't realize.
Yeah, I don't think the upgrades will go on sale, unless they do a permadrop of the MSRP.

The FFVIIR upgrade is free, but the Intergrade DLC should be on sale if that was on the list. I'm not at home to check.

How many years can you stack PlayStation Plus? I heard that it was 3 years, but I Googled it and they said there was no limit. I'm not sure what the answer is.
Do you see Plus for less than $39.99? Or will it be less than $39.99 on or around Black Friday? Mine runs out in May 2022, so I'm not in any particular hurry.

Yeah, I don't think the upgrades will go on sale, unless they do a permadrop of the MSRP.

The FFVIIR upgrade is free, but the Intergrade DLC should be on sale if that was on the list. I'm not at home to check.
Yuffie DLC is not on sale and is still $20. Doesn't seem like that or any PS5 upgrades will ever go on sale.

OK... So I figured I need to get one big game for the PS5 I just had delivered today from Sony.  My choices are down to FF VII Remake Intergrade and Tales of Arise.  It looks like BF pricing is $45 and $40 for these, so equivalent cost.  Demon's Souls is tempting but I have played all the Souls games and I'd rather just wait for Elden Ring.  I'd like to play Ratchet & Clank but I can wait for a much deeper discount on that.

I'll just come right out and say it: I've never played FF VII, though I have played some of the others (X, XII, XIII, a few of the DS remakes).  I skipped all of the late 80's and 90's console generations (was strictly PC then) after growing up with an Atari and Colecovision. Got back into consoles with the Gamecube in 2003.  I have also played a lot of Tales games, including just completing Vesperia on Game Pass several months ago.

Both are 88 or 89 on Metacritic so I'd be fine with either in general.

But which do you guys think is the better deal and/or a better showcase for the PS5?  I have a really old 4K TV that only has one 4K input (and it is being used by the Xbox but I could switch that temporarily).  But I'd be up for the 1080p/60 FPS and it looks like both games can deliver on that. Another minor factor: which is less likely to be on Game Pass eventually? I know that's hard to say as both FF and Tales games have been on there.  For FF7, I figure even if the base game eventually comes out on Game Pass, the DLC probably won't be included.

Edit: Just realized the FF7 Remake is a PS exclusive (for now), so that might tip the balance.

OK... So I figured I need to get one big game for the PS5 I just had delivered today from Sony. My choices are down to FF VII Remake Intergrade and Tales of Arise. It looks like BF pricing is $45 and $40 for these, so equivalent cost. Demon's Souls is tempting but I have played all the Souls games and I'd rather just wait for Elden Ring. I'd like to play Ratchet & Clank but I can wait for a much deeper discount on that.

I'll just come right out and say it: I've never played FF VII, though I have played some of the others (X, XII, XIII, a few of the DS remakes). I skipped all of the late 80's and 90's console generations (was strictly PC then) after growing up with an Atari and Colecovision. Got back into consoles with the Gamecube in 2003. I have also played a lot of Tales games, including just completing Vesperia on Game Pass several months ago.

But which do you guys think is the better deal and/or a better showcase for the PS5? I have a really old 4K TV that only has one 4K input (and it is being used by the Xbox but I could switch that temporarily). But I'd be up for the 1080p/60 FPS and it looks like both games can deliver on that. Another minor factor: which is less likely to be on Game Pass eventually? I know that's hard to say as both FF and Tales games have been on there. For FF7, I figure even if the base game eventually comes out on Game Pass, the DLC probably won't be included.

Edit: Just realized the FF7 Remake is a PS exclusive (for now), so that might tip the balance.
I've only played FFVII Remake, which looks really nice on PS5. Tales of Arise has a demo that'll let you see it for yourself:

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0700-PPSA03211_00-TOARISEPS5DEMO01

But which do you guys think is the better deal and/or a better showcase for the PS5? I have a really old 4K TV that only has one 4K input (and it is being used by the Xbox but I could switch that temporarily). But I'd be up for the 1080p/60 FPS and it looks like both games can deliver on that. Another minor factor: which is less likely to be on Game Pass eventually? I know that's hard to say as both FF and Tales games have been on there. For FF7, I figure even if the base game eventually comes out on Game Pass, the DLC probably won't be included.

I have both games, fan of both series, FF7R is the easy winner for me.

FF7R looked good on the PS4 even. Tales of Arise is likely the best looking Tales game. I recommend trying out the demo to see how it looks. I'd probably vote FF7R PS5 especially it got a lot of praise. I've only played about 3 hours maybe, but it was solid enough. 

OK... So I figured I need to get one big game for the PS5 I just had delivered today from Sony. My choices are down to FF VII Remake Intergrade and Tales of Arise. It looks like BF pricing is $45 and $40 for these, so equivalent cost. Demon's Souls is tempting but I have played all the Souls games and I'd rather just wait for Elden Ring. I'd like to play Ratchet & Clank but I can wait for a much deeper discount on that.

I'll just come right out and say it: I've never played FF VII, though I have played some of the others (X, XII, XIII, a few of the DS remakes). I skipped all of the late 80's and 90's console generations (was strictly PC then) after growing up with an Atari and Colecovision. Got back into consoles with the Gamecube in 2003. I have also played a lot of Tales games, including just completing Vesperia on Game Pass several months ago.

I just finished tales of arise a few days ago and I preferred FF7 remake personally. But if you're really into tales games, Arise is certainly one of the best.

As a big Tales fan, Arise was a huge disappointment for me. It did away with the grade system, turned a lot of what in the past would have been grade upgrades into paid DLC, made the majority of the skits into boring plot exposition instead of fun party interaction, and just had possibly the worst story and characters of any Tales game I've played (and I played Dawn of the New World!)

FF7R is so much better it's not even funny.

However, if you've never played the original FF7, that's a gamer crime, and you should remedy that. You won't get the same enjoyment out of R if you never played the original.

However, if you've never played the original FF7, that's a gamer crime, and you should remedy that. You won't get the same enjoyment out of R if you never played the original.
I'd say the exact opposite. Many who have played it can't help but compare it to the original and are let down. A fresh mind would be best in this scenario.

And as everyone has said, FF7R is the better game however it's a SE game so it'll be constantly on sale in the future. It also went to PS+ really quick so it could even launch on xbox with gamepass.

For a better game go with FF7R; for the value I lean slightly towards Tales.

Noticed that the Jeff Minter games are on sale for 60% off (70% off for PS+):

Polybius:

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP4461-CUSA08328_00-LLAMASOFTPLB0002

Minotaur Arcade Volume 1:

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP4461-CUSA15875_00-LLAMASOFTMARCADE

Moose Life:

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP4461-CUSA26622_00-7260398846424284

All support PSVR and are playable without it.

Tempest 4000 isn't on sale, but that's controlled by Atari. It is $9.99 for a physical copy at Best Buy:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tempest-4000-playstation-4-playstation-5/6248903.p?skuId=6248903

As a big Tales fan, Arise was a huge disappointment for me. It did away with the grade system, turned a lot of what in the past would have been grade upgrades into paid DLC, made the majority of the skits into boring plot exposition instead of fun party interaction, and just had possibly the worst story and characters of any Tales game I've played (and I played Dawn of the New World!)

FF7R is so much better it's not even funny.

To add onto this, the second half of Arise is basically walk into a new area and get hit with three skits, walk forward, info dump, keep walking forward, another info dump, walk forward a little more, have another character in your party repeat the same thing that was said to you either in a dump or a skit. Everyone also has to have their "I don't know why I am fighting" monolog with everyone repeating what was already said to them the last time one of these dramas rolled into camp. Someone likened the second half of Arise to Xenogears and they were not far off the mark.

I really enjoy Tales games but this one was a big disappointment, especially since it had such a strong first half. I'd say if you had to pick one, I'd get FF7.

I definitely didn't care for arises cast or mainly just rinwell and to a lesser extent shionne and law. Rinwell is insufferable. Her verbal and physical abuse and racial obscenities is I guess supposed to be played off as funny but it isn't nor is it well deserved like say vesperia where everyone punched raven or fire emblem path of radiance where it was used to show friend and foe.

Kisara was ok but her obsession with her brother is as usual very Japan.

Do is sorta just there despite unlike the other 2 girls being the most important plot wise. Law somewhat but his plot relevance is specific to the light (ice or lightning if we go by boss moves obviously) kingdom. Rinwell is similar but not as important or connected. And they never explained how she got there or where she was specifically from.

I also feel like they for a change front loaded the cast which is nice. Since gaining party members late isn't always a good thing. But the wind and water realms, lennegis and Rena having none join kinda made those portions dull. Especially the resistance group since you had a character in most of them.

Much like zesty and to a lesser extent berseria they felt really shallow.

To add onto this, the second half of Arise is basically walk into a new area and get hit with three skits, walk forward, info dump, keep walking forward, another info dump, walk forward a little more, have another character in your party repeat the same thing that was said to you either in a dump or a skit.
OMG, the "take three steps forward and get a cutscene, take another two steps and get another cutscene" crap was KILLING me. And the talking over and over again about the same part of the story to make sure we got it. Yup, we got it!

OMG, the "take three steps forward and get a cutscene, take another two steps and get another cutscene" crap was KILLING me. And the talking over and over again about the same part of the story to make sure we got it. Yup, we got it!
Haha, that reminds me of my experience with the Yakuza games. More movie than game. People eat it up though.

The difference with the Yakuza games is that while they had really long cut scenes they kept the plot moving and did not often repeat themselves. In the second half of Arise they would often over explain things and then another character would repeat pretty much exactly what was just said moments prior. Toss on a few skits to recap what was just covered and boom, plot point sufficiently beat into your head. There were numerous times where I started skipping dialog, audibly saying "I get it already, we just covered this" and fast forwarding through skits. Problem was they started wedging important plot points into the skits. Oh yeah forgot the one location where every mission was walk across the map, talk/do something, walk all the way back buuuuuut to mix it up we're going to disable fast travel. Why? Because we decided to, that's why.

Arise had such a good premise and started out strong but it needed some serious time in the editing room to clean up the plot and dialog. I am sure COVID didn't help things along either. Despite my criticism, I at least finished it. Can't say the same about Xilla 2 and that stupid debt gating. 

The difference with the Yakuza games is that while they had really long cut scenes they kept the plot moving and did not often repeat themselves. In the second half of Arise they would often over explain things and then another character would repeat pretty much exactly what was just said moments prior.
Yea, that does sound worse. I do not remember Yakuza repeating themself but I was not paying attention either way. I do remember them being real long and maybe if I played further in that would have decreased? My perfect gamer world every game that has cut scenes would have an option to auto skip them all. And un-skippable cut scenes should not be allowed. That is just me though. I know I am the minority.

I'd say the exact opposite. Many who have played it can't help but compare it to the original and are let down. A fresh mind would be best in this scenario.
I disagree with this. I love the original FF7 and loved playing through FF7R. I can't wait to see what the next game does with the story.

The difference with the Yakuza games is that while they had really long cut scenes they kept the plot moving and did not often repeat themselves. In the second half of Arise they would often over explain things and then another character would repeat pretty much exactly what was just said moments prior. Toss on a few skits to recap what was just covered and boom, plot point sufficiently beat into your head. There were numerous times where I started skipping dialog, audibly saying "I get it already, we just covered this" and fast forwarding through skits.
That would an issue for me from the very beginning honestly. No subtlety, they overexplain everything. It's something I notice often in JRPGs. I'm guessing it's a localization thing, but I don't know.

FFXIV does it too.

Yeah, I think Jodou just hadn't downloaded the PS5 upgrade yet. Before you do that, you can't get the DLC.

It actually makes a weird kind of sense since the DLC doesn't work with the PS4 version, and this ensures you can actually play it before you buy it.
Yeah, it's exactly this which is super confusing if you're looking to get the DLC. Guess I need to pop in the disc at some point, although if the DLC isn't on sale for original owners then fuck'em. I don't care that much about it and was only mildly interested if there was going to be a good BF sale on it.

I plugged in one of my PS3s today for the first time in a long time, and the games that I tried were still pretty fresh (F1 Race All-Stars, Frogger, Tony Hawk HD, and UNO).  And the store is still up on the console although I'll have to use PSN credit if I purchase anything else.

FFVII Remake is fantastic; some of the nostalgia, especially music remixes, just hit so hard it's a feels-trip. Even without it, the combat system is slick and had me playing until plat because the challenge modes were super fun, especially Tifa because her combo-cancels are fun to mess around with.

No idea about Tales, but heard it's excellent as well. Tough choice mate.

Thanks for all the input.  I'm surprised to see all the negatives here on Arise since most reviews are glowing.  I'll probably play it eventually but I can wait for Game Pass or something.  I do get a little annoyed with the cutscenes and skits in those games already, and if this one is worse... Ugh.

And yeah, I could see FF VII Remake launching for Xbox on Game Pass.  That is a guarantee if I buy it for PS5 ;).  But I will probably do that for now - at least buy it from Best Buy and I can always think about it for a few weeks.  I should have a few PS+ games to play at first.  And aren't a lot of PS4 games enhanced for PS5 too, like with Xbox One/Series X?  So maybe I'll go back to a few of those.  Like Uncharted 4 which I never played.  Any others that have had noticeable improvements (besides Destiny 2)?  What about No Man's Sky?  I own it for PS4 but was gonna play on Xbox (Game Pass). I could just start back up on PS5 though.

As much as I'd like to play the original FF VII, I just don't have the time (though I am off work for the whole next week!).  Thanks to Game Pass I'm juggling several games there and want to open this PS5 and start playing that.  And then there's always Animal Crossing on the Switch which just ramped back up again.  I did start playing FF VII for about 30 minutes when it was on Game Pass and I found it clunky and outdated, but that's to be expected. I thought it was going to be the remake for some reason.  I Wasn't paying that much attention to all this.  Also, somehow I missed out when FF7 was available from PS+ for PS4, though I am usually pretty good about getting the games each month.

The difference with the Yakuza games is that while they had really long cut scenes they kept the plot moving and did not often repeat themselves. In the second half of Arise they would often over explain things and then another character would repeat pretty much exactly what was just said moments prior. Toss on a few skits to recap what was just covered and boom, plot point sufficiently beat into your head. There were numerous times where I started skipping dialog, audibly saying "I get it already, we just covered this" and fast forwarding through skits. Problem was they started wedging important plot points into the skits. Oh yeah forgot the one location where every mission was walk across the map, talk/do something, walk all the way back buuuuuut to mix it up we're going to disable fast travel. Why? Because we decided to, that's why.

Arise had such a good premise and started out strong but it needed some serious time in the editing room to clean up the plot and dialog. I am sure COVID didn't help things along either. Despite my criticism, I at least finished it. Can't say the same about Xilla 2 and that stupid debt gating.
I finished both and you aren't missing much besides what they did to poor alt milla, the added in summons like aska (I was shocked he was in there given that aska hasn't been a summon since symphonia) and some interesting what ifs. I don't think a game has treated a character that bad since luke. Makes the player feel like crap.

But yeah I would say arise and xillia 2 are pretty mediocre but have decent gameplay at least. But arise is 3x as long as it really needed to be due to the padding especially the after water city portion which was ugh D: while rushing some of the kingdoms portions and having only 1 city in wind for whatever reason and not letting us explore the castle.

Thanks for all the input. I'm surprised to see all the negatives here on Arise since most reviews are glowing. I'll probably play it eventually but I can wait for Game Pass or something. I do get a little annoyed with the cutscenes and skits in those games already, and if this one is worse... Ugh.

And yeah, I could see FF VII Remake launching for Xbox on Game Pass. That is a guarantee if I buy it for PS5 ;). But I will probably do that for now - at least buy it from Best Buy and I can always think about it for a few weeks. I should have a few PS+ games to play at first. And aren't a lot of PS4 games enhanced for PS5 too, like with Xbox One/Series X? So maybe I'll go back to a few of those. Like Uncharted 4 which I never played. Any others that have had noticeable improvements (besides Destiny 2)? What about No Man's Sky? I own it for PS4 but was gonna play on Xbox (Game Pass). I could just start back up on PS5 though.

As much as I'd like to play the original FF VII, I just don't have the time (though I am off work for the whole next week!). Thanks to Game Pass I'm juggling several games there and want to open this PS5 and start playing that. And then there's always Animal Crossing on the Switch which just ramped back up again. I did start playing FF VII for about 30 minutes when it was on Game Pass and I found it clunky and outdated, but that's to be expected. I thought it was going to be the remake for some reason. I Wasn't paying that much attention to all this. Also, somehow I missed out when FF7 was available from PS+ for PS4, though I am usually pretty good about getting the games each month.
That isn't to say arise is a bad game. It's just not a strong tales of title as some of the others. The spell list was a big step in the right direction minus what they did to tidal wave but the gameplay took a lot of backsteps to issues that were in zesty. All the burst artes in arise are more for gimmicks and less useful than the ones in berseria. Unison artes/link artes are basically fused with fatal strikes so they get spammed alot but are mostly useful for refilling your gauge and less for damage. And damage output is poor while enemy stats are bloated so fights take longer even on the lowest difficulty settings than they should.

But rinwell your mage for example can store spells and them insta cast the higher tier spells. spread into freeze lancer into tidal wave (garbage small aoe worst version of the spell in series) , air thrust into tornado (which makes like 3 tornados so its the best version of the spell imo) at tier 3. light got fused with lightning so its thunder blade holy lance indignation. Thunderblade is horrible. Weirdly she never learned a fire spell line unless meteor storm counts. She also has aerial artes and they do pretty good dps so she's actually semi functional though not anywhere near berseria mages eleanor or eizen, or beryl's broke hybrid artes.

I also thought it was a cute reference that she switched between blah blah blah (rita's trademark) and lous magikazam for insta casting.

It's just a shame that they didn't put more content like that in. Also the weird old guy instead of wonderchef was a disappointment and I didn't really get the point of wonderbard.

Here's a decent list of the enhanced games (and what's enhanced):

https://www.pushsquare.com/guides/ps4-to-ps5-all-games-with-confirmed-free-upgrades

No Man's Sky for sure, and maybe I'll get back into Witcher 3 which I never finished. It looks like that just might have PS4 Pro enhancements, but I never had a Pro so that would be an improvement. Sadly no Uncharted 4.
The Witcher 3 was delayed to 2022 along with Cyberpunk 2077.

This page has a bunch of the upgrades:

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/category/4389ffb0-1269-44f6-88fc-602afe1d77f7/

Yea, that does sound worse. I do not remember Yakuza repeating themself but I was not paying attention either way. I do remember them being real long and maybe if I played further in that would have decreased? My perfect gamer world every game that has cut scenes would have an option to auto skip them all. And un-skippable cut scenes should not be allowed. That is just me though. I know I am the minority.
Well unless you are someone that can understand Japanese fluently then you will literally miss a lot in translation if they had a auto skip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Free stuff for the various games in the Black Friday sale:

Ace Combat 7

Apex Legends

Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout

Black Desert

Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War

Dying Light: The Following Enhanced Edition

Farming Simulator 19

Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4)

Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade (PS5)

Fortnite

Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut (PS4)

Grand Theft Auto V

Marvel's Avengers

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Middle-earth: Shadow of War

MLB The Show 21

NBA 2K22 (PS4)

Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom

Paladins

Persona 5 Royal

Realm Royale

Resident Evil 2

Resident Evil 0

Ride 3

Rocket League

Rogue Company

Sackboy: A Big Adventure

Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne HD Remaster

Sid Meier's Civilization VI

Smite

SnowRunner

Street Fighter V

The Surge 2

Tales of Arise

Warframe

The Witcher III Wild Hunt Complete Edition

Awesome Frisky, thanks for the list.  I grabbed a bunch of stuff.

Another question for you PS pros.  I will be giving my PS4 to my son who is away at college.  How does PS+ game sharing currently work?  I thought before I could have 2 consoles active for my account and the kids could play my PS+ games and other purchases on that second one without me needing to log in on it.  Does it still work that way?  Do I have to make one of them a "home" console like with Xbox in order for me not to have to be logged in at the same time?

bread's done
Back