Playstation Deals, PS Plus games, and Discussion

psunami

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Thanks to Frisky for all of the hard work that he put in for the previous deals threads!

Feel free to post here about the newest Playstation deals, PS Plus games, and discussions about the previously mentioned items.

Official PlayStation™Store US

March 2024 games (available on March 5th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog

March 2024 games (available on March 19th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog
PlayStation Premium | Classics

Last edited:
I understand the Gamestop thing was a great deal and all but I am too cheap to live in a world where I still have to pay over $200 for a 2 TB internal SSD. Same thing with the 1TB MicroSD cards just now hitting the $140s. 

Are we hitting a technological wall here or are these things just that difficult to produce for cheaper? Can we not find cheaper alternative materials? Is it COVID? Is it a conspiracy to slowly trickle out the technology to milk more money from us? It feels like we have been waiting much longer for SSDs to get cheaper compared to HDD capacities.

I understand the Gamestop thing was a great deal and all but I am too cheap to live in a world where I still have to pay over $200 for a 2 TB internal SSD. Same thing with the 1TB MicroSD cards just now hitting the $140s.

Are we hitting a technological wall here or are these things just that difficult to produce for cheaper? Can we not find cheaper alternative materials? Is it COVID? Is it a conspiracy to slowly trickle out the technology to milk more money from us? It feels like we have been waiting much longer for SSDs to get cheaper compared to HDD capacities.
These SSDs are just that new and at a higher spec that they're more expensive to produce for the time being. The prices will drop over time, but they're not going to be dirt cheap out of the gate.

If you actually look at HDD and SSD prices graphed, like GB vs time, the SSD falls much faster.

People forget HDD tech hasn't really changed in the last 10+ years. Meanwhile, SSDs can saturate SATA, USB 3.1 rev 2, etc. and basically requires like PCIe x8 to hit it's current limit.

Like, literally SEVENTY times the speed of the "why is my 5 TB 5400 rpm drive cheaper" drives.

Also, COVID (surprisingly to me) barely affected SSD prices. Compared to when Thailand flooded and HDDs had a shortage, or when RAM had a shortage, it looks like a blip in comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:
These SSDs are just that new and at a higher spec that they're more expensive to produce for the time being. The prices will drop over time, but they're not going to be dirt cheap out of the gate.
The other thing being that if crypto continues to fascinate dudebros, the change from proof of work to proof of stake could end up having SSD's replace GPU's as the thing miners and scalpers create an artificial shortage of.

Quick tip, always deactivate your consoles before trading in to Gamestop. You can set up a dummy account for any system in about 5 minutes
On PS4 (and I assume PS5) that is true. Never had an issue bringing in a PlayStation 3 or 4 to trade after wiping it.

XBox on the other hand the guy was pretty much a dick to me on one of my trades. You didn't have to wipe it. You have to log in on our busted touchscreen monitor or I can't test your console. Was such a PIA. Not sure why they didn't have a test account.

I took the console and traded it at another GS where you could actually log in. Got the same nonsense about we will wipe it in 2 weeks (my home county has pawn laws). As soon as I got home I changed my MS password (already had 2FA) and removed the console from my account.

I think they know they can have their cake and eat it too. Get more interest for people to get on Xbox with all these games on GamePass, while raking in profits from sales on other platforms.

I really feel that any console exclusive has a chance at GoTY
FTFY in a way, as the HZD sequel will get people saying the same as well. I feel it could be, but racing games are a bit too niche especially GT. I am waiting to be surprised as I never play racing games other than Mario Kart, and this may be the game I jump into the series with. Note I played GT 1 and 2 back on the PSX, but that was ages ago and they've evolved a lot since then.

Yeah, Forza Horizon 5 was one of the highest rated games last year and it’s not as niche as GT or the mainline Forza games. If it couldn’t break through as GoTY, I really doubt GT will.

Call of Duty will remain multiplatform even after existing agreement. I think all these big multiplayer games or Gaas will be multiplatform. Too much money to be made.
https://blogs.microsoft.com/on-the-issues/2022/02/09/open-app-store-principles-activision-blizzard/
This doesn't say what people think it does. The exact quote:

And we have committed to Sony that we will also make them available on PlayStation beyond the existing agreement and into the future so that Sony fans can continue to enjoy the games they love.
This could mean any number of things, but it is not a promise that every Call of Duty game going forward will be released on Sony platforms. It can be read that way, but if they wanted to say that they probably would've said that!

They could mean that they aren't removing the back catalogue from Sony's platforms or any other number of things. This is company speak, not a promise that they aren't going to take content away from Sony and generally speaking first party studios don't buy developers only to have them keep releasing titles on their competitors. Could Microsoft buck the trend? Yes. Will they? Maybe, maybe not. But this is not a promise that they're going to.

From the splash page at the end of this trailer, the Chrono Cross remaster (Radical Dreamers Edition) announced during the Nintendo Direct is also heading to PS4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GRxp72A3r8

Klonoa Phantasy Reverie Series is heading to PS4/5 also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fsvwAXqTFA

From the Chrono Cross release:

• 3D models converted to HD*
  • Brand new artwork and character redesign by Nobuteru Yuuki*
  • Refined background music by Yasunori Mitsuda
  • Switch enemy encounters on or off
  • Background filter feature*
  • Battle enhancement features
  • Auto-battle function
  • French, Italian, German and Spanish localization now added
  • Switch between imitation pixel font and HD font*
  • The inclusion of Radical Dreamers, never before released in the West.
  • Players can choose between playing with original or updated graphics*
*The 3D models, illustrations, font and background filter cannot be toggled separately. They will all be switched together.

This is also heading to PS4/5, with the Switch version being out today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HlB1sKKxEs
I'm always interested in flashy combat based heavily in folklore and legend, but this really looks like the team just did not have the budget, the experience, or maybe both to pull off the visual style or flashy action they were aiming for. At least we'll always have Muramasa.

Square Enix stealth announced a Japanese FMV mystery adventure game called The Centennial Case: A Shijima Story for PS5 & PS4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwGU4d9USIM

Out 5/12. Has some talent behind MGSV, PT, 428, and Nier Automata leading on this game.

This doesn't say what people think it does. The exact quote:

This could mean any number of things, but it is not a promise that every Call of Duty game going forward will be released on Sony platforms. It can be read that way, but if they wanted to say that they probably would've said that!

They could mean that they aren't removing the back catalogue from Sony's platforms or any other number of things. This is company speak, not a promise that they aren't going to take content away from Sony and generally speaking first party studios don't buy developers only to have them keep releasing titles on their competitors. Could Microsoft buck the trend? Yes. Will they? Maybe, maybe not. But this is not a promise that they're going to.
I get the same feeling from this. May be wording it like this or saying this while awaiting completion of the sale for FTC reasons.

I dunno. I can’t see the most popular COD games being on PlayStation. Even if they are they may not be day and date.

Doing the Chrono Cross remaster before Chrono Trigger on consoles is an amazing troll job to the part of the Chrono fanbase that prefers Chrono Trigger over Cross.

The Wolf Among Us 2 is looking really good. Throwing Protomen music in there was also a big plus.

And really glad to see Klonoa Phantasy Reverie. I loved Klonoa 1 and 2 back on the PS1 and PS2 respectfully. The Klonoa series never really went anywhere which was a shame but I am going to love playing them again on my PS5 when they release.

I think this is going to be the norm going forward. Hopefully first party titles from all platforms will one day be on other platforms so anyone can play
So two things with that. The first is why Sony has been resistant to cross-platform play to begin with: first-party games have historically been how a hardware manufacturer locks people into their ecosystem. That goes back to the earliest Nintendo hardware days when third parties weren't allowed to put their games on other systems. If you were a competitor and didn't have good first-party games, you weren't gonna be a competitor for long.

Tempus fugit. Times change. Noted.

But the second half of the issue is that with times changing, development costs are greater. Putting your games on every console means 3x the development costs.

"What about third party companies who do that already?"

Noted! Those companies, however, don't stand to lose licensing fees if a hardware competitor takes market share from them. That makes, say, Horizon: Deadly Waters costly not just from an added costs perspective, but also opportunity cost from lost third party licensing fees.

Microsoft has a revenue stream in Game Pass that enables them to take that sort of risk, if they want to, and yet the studios they've purchased are largely going "yeah we'll abide by contractual stuff for THIS release but everything after is Xbox-exclusive, now."

If a $250 million/month revenue stream doesn't give them the confidence to go full platform agnostic, Sony and Nintendo without that stream sure aren't gonna.

Sony releases on PC? Sure. On competing consoles? Outside of the Show, where the contract with MLB requires it, ain't happening.

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1491598131276005383

It has been stated that Bungie's new IP will be multiplatform too. We already have seen Minecraft and MLB the Show on multiplatform. 

"development costs are greater. Putting your games on every console means 3x the development costs."

Ehhh while development costs increase every console generation or so I don't think they have gone up again lately. And since the ps4\5 is cross gen still it'll probably be a while. But besides that they have a much easier time making games multiplat these days as outside the switch they all are similar enough to do so unlike the ps3 Wii 360 generation. And the switch usually just ended up with the game running on lower settings than other versions depending on the game.

84421_11_activision-made-record-5-1-billion-in-microtransactions-2021_full-640x360.png

Those numbers are in billions of dollars. It's where the majority of revenue for Activision's games comes from. It's why you want GAAS stuff everywhere you can get it, and it's why Bungie's stuff will be everywhere and why I think Activision's will most likely be everywhere as well.

Yeah, GAAS stuff like CoD will be everywhere.
It's everything else that will be exclusive (at least once the merger clears, companies always spew comforting bs pre-merger).

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1491785381506793477

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/02/10/creating-the-connected-world-of-moss-book-ii/

More details on Moss: Book II.

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/02/10/the-secrets-of-animal-well-coming-to-ps5/

Animal Well is coming to PS5.

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/02/10/master-splinter-is-coming-to-tmnt-shredders-revenge/

TMNT: Shredder's Revenge is coming to PS4. Splinter is joining the roster of playable characters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co7Ee5x3g44

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/02/10/post-void-blasts-to-ps5-and-ps4-this-spring/

Post Void is coming to the PS5 and PS4 this Spring.

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/02/10/exploring-the-upgraded-pvp-of-salt-and-sacrifice-launching-may-10/

Salt & Sacrifice will be out for PS5 & PS4 on May 10.

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/02/10/samurai-gunn-2-is-coming-to-ps5/

Samurai Gunn 2 is coming to the PS5.

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/02/10/hello-neighbor-2-announced-for-ps4-and-ps5/

Hello Neighbor 2 is coming to PS5 & PS4.

Traditionally companies have sought exclusives to lock you into their platforms because once locked in most consumers buy everything on one platform. They secure great titles in the hopes that you'll only buy a playstation or an xbox then continue to drip-feed them money for doing absolutely nothing other than publishing other people's software. In that universe, it makes no sense to put Call of Duty or Starfield on Sony platforms, but the world has been getting more complex.

Gamepass is a bizarre gambit that right now is an amazing value proposition, but will not survive in that state. It's the tech business cycle: acquire customers through incredible deals > raise prices > recoup your losses and then some as people become reliant on the service.

I don't know how or if this changes the thinking about exclusives, but right now things are majorly in flux. Microsoft is either going to succeed in massively growing the audience of gaming and win big with their subscription service, or it's going to be mostly dead in 10 years and Call of Duty will be locked to Xbox.

One thing I do know is that changes in the industry don't always stick around even when they appear to be picking up steam or are just plainly a good idea. There was a time when almost every new game came with a leaflet that held a code you had to have in order to even play entire game modes. And if you bought it used you'd have to buy that separately. Everyone hated it, but somehow it went away. This was back when "used games are killing the industry" was a common refrain, which somehow died an unceremonious death.

Shit doesn't always make sense.

Traditionally companies have sought exclusives to lock you into their platforms because once locked in most consumers buy everything on one platform. They secure great titles in the hopes that you'll only buy a playstation or an xbox then continue to drip-feed them money for doing absolutely nothing other than publishing other people's software. In that universe, it makes no sense to put Call of Duty or Starfield on Sony platforms, but the world has been getting more complex.

Gamepass is a bizarre gambit that right now is an amazing value proposition, but will not survive in that state. It's the tech business cycle: acquire customers through incredible deals > raise prices > recoup your losses and then some as people become reliant on the service.

I don't know how or if this changes the thinking about exclusives, but right now things are majorly in flux. Microsoft is either going to succeed in massively growing the audience of gaming and win big with their subscription service, or it's going to be mostly dead in 10 years and Call of Duty will be locked to Xbox.

One thing I do know is that changes in the industry don't always stick around even when they appear to be picking up steam or are just plainly a good idea. There was a time when almost every new game came with a leaflet that held a code you had to have in order to even play entire game modes. And if you bought it used you'd have to buy that separately. Everyone hated it, but somehow it went away. This was back when "used games are killing the industry" was a common refrain, which somehow died an unceremonious death.

Shit doesn't always make sense.
It really upsets me that Starfield last I was aware is not coming to Playstation yet COD is. I personally could care less about COD but I know a lot of people it. Your comments ont he "leaflet" I remember EA doing this with their sports games to play online. Not sure how many actually did this but yeah universally gamers were not happy lol.

If you bought the Uncharted Legacy of Thieves collection or the upgrade, you should be getting an email about getting a free ticket for the movie today. Just got my email.

bread's done
Back