Playstation Deals, PS Plus games, and Discussion

psunami

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Thanks to Frisky for all of the hard work that he put in for the previous deals threads!

Feel free to post here about the newest Playstation deals, PS Plus games, and discussions about the previously mentioned items.

Official PlayStation™Store US

March 2024 games (available on March 5th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog

March 2024 games (available on March 19th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog
PlayStation Premium | Classics

Last edited:
Everyone remember, one of the greatest wrasslin' games ever... SATURDAY NIGHT SLAM MASTERS ...drops tomorrow via Capcom Arcade Stadium 2 for only FOUR DOLLARS!!

saturday-night-slam-masters-jessica.gif
Hell yea. Still confused why not put more into Capcom Arcade Stadium 1 over making a second hub for retro Capcom games.

OG Star Wars is boring and Mario 64 is not a legitimately great game? This is clearly wrong. It is fine if you personally dislike them but you are out of step with the general consensus.

The Sony thread can be a bit harsh sometimes.   :)

I just installed a 2TB SSD in my new PS5 so I can finally install more than a few games!

I mean it's a testament you can move around quite well in Mario 64 all these years later and still play it. Has anyone tried stuff like Glover, Blasto, Croc, other generic 3D platformers of the time and loved that experience still? Plus of course junk like Bubsy 3D is just garbage. I still think the early Spyro games were fine though.

OG Star Wars is boring and Mario 64 is not a legitimately great game? This is clearly wrong. It is fine if you personally dislike them but you are out of step with the general consensus.
Not wrong; just opinion. Perhaps I am out of step, but that is because I travel to the beat of my own drum instead of blindly following "General Consensus." You see, "General Consensus" is also just an opinion and not fact, no matter what percentage of people may agree. This should help you understand the difference in the future.

Not really sure why people keep saying Stray is "on rails" when it is most certainly not. Just because a game doesn't let you jump continuously and only to certain ledges doesn't make it "on rails".

The only part that even remotely is like that is the first 15 minutes tutorial area. Otherwise you spend the majority of your time in a city where you can explore wherever you want.

I think the original criticism was that the platforming was on rails (which it is afaik) and people were just saying "on rails" for shorthand because they were under the impression it was going to have platforming elements.

I think the original criticism was that the platforming was on rails (which it is afaik) and people were just saying "on rails" for shorthand because they were under the impression it was going to have platforming elements.
The platforming isn't on rails either though. Not allowing you to jump to your death doesn't make it "on rails".

Yeah the on rails criticism is odd. There are a ton of other things to dislike about the game but that wouldn't be one of mine.
It may be "on rails" is a weird way of wording it. It's just that jumping is basically scripted as far as I saw? You can only jump when they let you press X and they only let you press X in some circumstances as opposed to it being a thing where you press X and the cat tries to jump. You're only allowed to do it when they let you and it always succeeds; there's no analysis required. The prompt is more meaningful than your read of the situation. It really changes the mechanical complexity and freedom of the experience, which is why "on rails" is how I would describe it.

Either way, I don't really like Stray. It's a pretty simple game and I like mechanical meat in the experiences I enjoy, but I'm not saying it's a bad game. I just don't personally think it's good. I like skillful games with a lot of mechanics and systems, Stray is not that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to stream some Stray to see what's really going in with this game.

Edit: Here's the archive. Having played about 90 minutes, this is an adventure game through and through. I don't know where the platformer talk is coming from, as it's trying to have a more realistic controlling cat instead of something very ridiculous that jumps like a typical platformer character. The animations are done like a cat really jumps with a more considerate style rather than what Mario does, so the world is built like that where you're jumping up onto shelves, AC units, and such that is more like a climb than any sort of jump.

The game itself is an adventure game with some moments of running from these headcrab-like creatures that want to eat you between areas, but once you get to the robot city, you're collecting stuff to show to robots and figuring out who to give them to in order to progress in the main or side quests. There's nothing complicated about it. It's a very cute cyberpunk cat adventure game, which is what I was expecting from the first reveal.

So now that miles morales is a PS plus premium game, is it safe to say there will be a slim chance of the ultimate edition going on sale again? Last time it was on sale was back in March. I’m debating on using some gift cards on the ultimate edition.

If you want some cheap games from the Summer Sale:

10 Second Ninja X - $0.99 - One of those leaderboard-chasing platformers

Atari Recharged games - $4.99 each - Asteroids, Black Widow, Breakout, and Centipede remakes for widescreen TVs, co-op, and more

Cat Quest - $2.59 - Great action RPG

Crypt of the NecroDancer - $2.99 - Rhythm dungeon crawling roguelite

Emerald Shores - $2.49 - $0.99 - Platformer from a fellow CAG

Gonner 2 - $3.24 - Great roguelite platformer shooter

Inferno 2 - $2.49 - $1.99 - Dual-stick shooter with an easy platinum

Ironcast - $2.99 - Puzzle Quest meets Turn-based mech combat

Kingdom: New Lands - $2.99 - PS+ Extra - Good survival base-building game

Lone Survivor: The Director's Cut - $0.99 - 2D Survival horror game

MouseCraft - $0.99 - Classic Lemmings-style of puzzle game

Ninjin: Clash of Carrots - $0.99 - Rabbit-themed beat-em-up

Nova-111 - $0.99 - Neat turn-based adventure game

Panzer Dragoon: Remake - $2.49

Peggle 2 - $2.39 - Great peggle game

Race the Sun - $2.99 - Great endless runner

Serial Cleaner - $2.99 - Great stealth game

Stealth Inc 2: A Game of Clones - $0.99 - Great puzzle platformer

Stick it to the Man - $1.59 - Platformer adventure game

The Swapper - $1.49 - Great Portal meets Metroid puzzle game

The Swindle - $1.49 - Neat hacking stealth crime game

Timberman Vs - $0.19 - One of those simple tree-chopping minigames turned into a game

Titan Attacks! - $0.99 - Space Invaders-style arcade game

Ultratron - $0.99 - Robotron-style arcade game

Volgarr The Viking - $2.49 - $1.99 - Tough action platformer

Yoku's Island Express - $3.99 - Pinball Metroid-like

I mean it's a testament you can move around quite well in Mario 64 all these years later and still play it. Has anyone tried stuff like Glover, Blasto, Croc, other generic 3D platformers of the time and loved that experience still? Plus of course junk like Bubsy 3D is just garbage. I still think the early Spyro games were fine though.
'Loved' might be a stretch but I still enjoy the Croc games.

I google this but couldn't find anything about it. A question about Returnal:

I'm on the run where I need to ascend the spire. I found both keys and opened the door and on the way to doing that, I bought an Astronaut figure. Well, I died and DID NOT come back to life. I started at my ship with nothing. I thought it was a glitch so did another run and bought the figure again and died and STILL went right back to the ship. What the hell is going on? I have used it twice in past runs and it worked fine. That thing that costs 6 ether that puts you back with all your stuff works fine but the Astro figure is not working. Am I picking up a parasite or something that negates it? I thought the first time was just a glitch but 2 times in a row now it hasn't worked. HELP!

*EDIT* I am most likely picking up stuff that erases it or something like that. Because this game is so random, that's the reason it has working before and not these last 2 times. I just just try to be a lot more careful.

I google this but couldn't find anything about it. A question about Returnal:
I'm on the run where I need to ascend the spire. I found both keys and opened the door and on the way to doing that, I bought an Astronaut figure. Well, I died and DID NOT come back to life. I started at my ship with nothing. I thought it was a glitch so did another run and bought the figure again and died and STILL went right back to the ship. What the hell is going on? I have used it twice in past runs and it worked fine. That thing that costs 6 ether that puts you back with all your stuff works fine but the Astro figure is not working. Am I picking up a parasite or something that negates it? I thought the first time was just a glitch but 2 times in a row now it hasn't worked. HELP!

*EDIT* I am most likely picking up stuff that erases it or something like that. Because this game is so random, that's the reason it has working before and not these last 2 times. I just just try to be a lot more careful.
Bro just Google it. fucking hell with these wall of texts posts. This shit ain’t a tips and tricks thread.

Have you ever almost put somebody on your ignore list, but mostly because you think they’re likely an idiot and not a troll? However, then you read that one thing that you know isn’t trolling and is in fact the final confirmation that they are actually an idiot? No, just me? Carry on.
Freeze Time seems like he's trying post less stupid stuff as of late. Lol!

So we're discouraging game talk in this thread now? Maybe it's time to change the thread title?
People go off topic and everyone is like "oh this is fine we are a community bla bla bla". Freeze Time posts something video game related, but since it has been deemed okay to hate on him, we get people telling him to go elsewhere. CAG 2022 for you...

People go off topic and everyone is like "oh this is fine we are a community bla bla bla". Freeze Time posts something video game related, but since it has been deemed okay to hate on him, we get people telling him to go elsewhere. CAG 2022 for you...
Well, no, not exactly. They have pretty specific questions about a game they seem to be struggling with. So, instead of hiding it behind a spoiler possibly ruining the game for someone or just being polite, they write up a long message. They also seem to be having a real hard time with the game, and keep asking questions about it…I merely suggested a more specific forum for their topic.

Pretty easy solution, no hate.

Well, no, not exactly. They have pretty specific questions about a game they seem to be struggling with. So, instead of hiding it behind a spoiler possibly ruining the game for someone or just being polite, they write up a long message. They also seem to be having a real hard time with the game, and keep asking questions about it…I merely suggested a more specific forum for their topic.

Pretty easy solution, no hate.
Yeah, it's not your messages that are the problem...

Square Enix output for this year and next year is really impressive.
I'm biased; most of my favorite games are Square-Enix published. Typically have been except during the dark days around 13. But yeah, loved Strangers of Paradise. It's got a "so good it's bad" vibe and the combat is really impressive. I'd say it's closer to Sekiro than Elden Ring, which really sold it for me. Parrying mechanics in Soulslike really do it for me and the job system is so satisfying.

I can't wait for the Crisis Core Remake and Tactics Ogre Reborn. I'm still playing through Live A Live atm.

Dragon Quest 8 is probably my favorite game of all time...but I've put more hours in FF11 and FF14. DQ11 was pretty great though, not quite on par storywise with DQ8 in my view though. Octopath Traveler was great, I really liked Triangle Strategy. I think there's been a lot of great Square Enix stuff in the past few years, but to each their own.

I do wish more of those games would come out on Sony systems.

FFVII and Xenogears are my favorites. FFVII Remake has brought back the excitement to the Final Fantasy franchise for me and JRPGs in general. Need to find time to play FFXIV, Triangle Strategy, and Live A Live.

Final Fantasy XIV's expansions are some of my favorite stories in the series, especially Shadowbringers and Endwalker. A shame that a lot of FF fans won't get to experience it due to being a massive time sink and the base game's story being subpar. 

It is actually kind fascinating that the same company that puplishes absolute dreck like Chocobo GP, Balan Wonderworld, Left Alive, and countless mobile trash and underwhelming "remasters" can also put out genuine rpg gems like Bravely Default, Octopath Traveler and Triangle Strategy. And the stuff this year looks genuinely interesting. I'm not a big fan of the Valkyrie or Star Ocean games, but the new ones actually look like solid, substantial jrpgs that are worth playing. And don't sleep on DioField Chronicle. It's made by the same developers that made the early Etrian Odyssey games, as well as criminally underappreciated, meaty rpgs like SMT: Strange Journey and Monark. It will be fascinating to see what they're capable of with a slightly bigger budget.

Square Enix has had a lot of highs and lows. FF15 is literally the worst gaming experience I've ever had tbh. Just awfully designed, especially in that 2nd half and during that obnoxiously linear train segment, or that deranged survival horror chapter. Blame Nomura though- the biggest hack in the industry.
But FF12 and FF5 are my two favorite games of all time. And they still release at least a couple really good games per year. That's more than can be said of former greats like Konami.

Yeah the survival horror section was terrible.  Not sure why games think they can just throw in other genres like it's nothing. I feel like as soon as it went to the water city which was a disaster to navigate that's when it went down hill. 

I did like just aimlessly exploring and doing the mark hunts. but that's about it.  Oh and the frog lady can go  fuck  :censored:  :censored:  :censored:   Woman you're asking for people to do you a favor and acting like a karen. 

Final Fantasy XIV's expansions are some of my favorite stories in the series, especially Shadowbringers and Endwalker. A shame that a lot of FF fans won't get to experience it due to being a massive time sink and the base game's story being subpar.
Do the expansions' stories build off the base story, or are they good to play without knowing the base story? I tried to play the base story years ago and eventually wound up just skipping through all the dialogue lol

I'm an old school FF fan and I loved FF15 besides I want to say chapter 13? FF13 and it's saga was terrible but I can admit the graphics and music was good.

7,x,1,2,9,5,15,6,3,12,8,4,13. I know that's a hotly contested list right there. It'd get even crazier if I included all the spinoffs

I even liked the survival horror chapter of 15, but I understand that's an unpopular opinion. My wife and brothers all liked 15 too. I think it was the americana bits, the soundtrack, etc.

I finished Left Alive. It's a weird ass game. Definitely bad. Very old school and counterintuitive. I think it was fun to play for how weird and interesting certain aspects were. I did like the survival aspects, how restricted weight was, the heavy emphasis on stealth.

I was unable to play the most recent Star Ocean game though. It's SUPER janky. Integrity and Faithlessness, I think it's called? I really hope Divine Force is better.

bread's done
Back