Playstation Deals, PS Plus games, and Discussion

psunami

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Thanks to Frisky for all of the hard work that he put in for the previous deals threads!

Feel free to post here about the newest Playstation deals, PS Plus games, and discussions about the previously mentioned items.

Official PlayStation™Store US

March 2024 games (available on March 5th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog

March 2024 games (available on March 19th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog
PlayStation Premium | Classics

Last edited:
I'm an old school FF fan and I loved FF15 besides I want to say chapter 13? FF13 and it's saga was terrible but I can admit the graphics and music was good.

7,x,1,2,9,5,15,6,3,12,8,4,13. I know that's a hotly contested list right there. It'd get even crazier if I included all the spinoffs
Final Fantasy xv over 6 is legit offensive

Do the expansions' stories build off the base story, or are they good to play without knowing the base story? I tried to play the base story years ago and eventually wound up just skipping through all the dialogue lol
Yeah, a lot of characters and events of the base story are extremely important for every expansion. The base game's story kind of picks up starting in the second half after the first credit roll but it's still a slog. Even I know this sounds crazy and it's not exactly a ringing endorsement to hear that a game gets good/great after 100+ hours.

Nothing in FF14 can be completely safely skipped. There are callbacks, explanations, and lore chunks from LV 1 all the way to 90. But if you're pressed for time...

FF14's A Realm Reborn arc (1-50) introduces you to factions, lore, and characters that will be relevant throughout the entire game, but for the most part it sets up problems that will play out later with more examples. You'll miss some payoffs later if you skip this.

Heavensward (50-60) is highly rated by fans because it has a very self-contained story that quickly sets up and fulfills its premise excellently. The characters in it are beloved, but in terms of big themes it's more of the same as 1-50. You can probably skip it, but most people would say don't.

Meanwhile Stormblood (60-70) and Shadowbringers (70-80) are vital to enjoy Endwalker. They function as a kind of trilogy that is constantly building with several parallel plot arcs that don't pay off fully until basically the very end of the game(80-90).

My personal opinion? A Realm Reborn's story is basic and largely unsatisfying. Things get a lot better from there, but it's really hard to tell people "play this 20-30 hour slog just so you can appreciate everything that follows more" when you don't know whether or not you're going to love what follows. It's asking someone to write a blank check for like, 25 hours of free time and that's kinda difficult. And 25 is only a good estimate if you critical path things fervently.

What makes FFXIV hard to recommend is that to get to Endwalker, you're probably looking at at least 80 hours of gameplay I'd guess, and the gameplay isn't that satisfying for a long time. The battle system gets more engaging with every expansion pack, but never really fully sings until you're at endgame where your progress feels much more substantial since it slows down and you can really sink your teeth into the rewards more.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm an old school FF fan and I loved FF15 besides I want to say chapter 13? FF13 and it's saga was terrible but I can admit the graphics and music was good.

7,x,1,2,9,5,15,6,3,12,8,4,13. I know that's a hotly contested list right there. It'd get even crazier if I included all the spinoffs
You think that's hotly contested? My top 5 are 12, 5, X-2, XIII-2 and 6. Although I guess the last one proves I'm not a *complete* degenerate weirdo.

Heads-up but Sony is yanking the servers on Killzone Mercenary, RIGS: Mechanized Combat League, and Killzone: Shadow Fall/Intercept on August 12th (less than a month's notice).

I get the other games, especially Mercenary since it's a Vita game but shutting down Shadow Fall and Intercept after just adding them to Plus is a dirty move. Sure, the game is 10 years old, but it's still a PS4 game and the most recent entry in that franchise. How expensive can it be to keep up? Sony doesn't exactly have a lot of MP modes for their first-party titles (that are still up anyway).

What didn't you like about Final Fantasy 4? :shock:
I wasn't a fan of the characters and the music which I value highly when i rank games. 15 had a great soundtrack by taking the other games music.

It's not a bad game I don't think any final fantasy mainline title is a bad game.

quick edit: I said 13 and the saga was terrible. Good games but terrible for final fantasy standards. Even 13 has moments that other games wish they had.

You think that's hotly contested? My top 5 are 12, 5, X-2, XIII-2 and 6. Although I guess the last one proves I'm not a *complete* degenerate weirdo.
besides 13-2 and maybe 10-2 your list is definitely not very out there. 5 is pretty well liked for it's job system and just suffered from being skipped over for localization along with 2 and 3 originally so fewer people played them compared to 1 4 6 and 7 being the first 4 entries released outside japan and all.

what I'd probably consider weird would be ff2 ff3 being in anyones top 5.

x-2 budget and charlies angels stuff aside was a really solid game. I felt the same about ff13-3. 13-2 has a crappy encounter rate, drop rates and such that I found it unplayable. Which is sad since it's demo was what sold me on the game in the first place and that had far superior encounter rates and drop rates.

Essentials is worth price of admission just for the PS+ games each month imo. Great lineup here if you don’t have them (and if this is legit…has been the last few months).

https://twitter.com/nibellion/status/1552234957199876096?s=21&t=yvmrOaSLp4NAQoJnTzanbQ

Of course right after I bought the entire Yakuza series to play through for the first time. Only ones I hadn’t bought were 7 and Lost Judgment.
Beat 0 and Kiwami, currently at the end of Kiwami 2.

Yakuza games are quite long and best played with breaks in between IMHO, so owning is better. Still a good get for that program for those that have it a few years or so.

Definitely glad I didn't buy the Tony Hawk game. Was going to buy the PS4 version on sale, but didn't, because they announced a PS5 version without a free upgrade. So I waited for the PS5 version to get cheaper, and now it's free1!

1: I don't care it requires a membership if I already have it.

Wasn't planning to get PS+ until I get a PS5, but I think I'll get a month of Extra for Tony Hawk and Yakuza 7 (I got the steelbook for $4 on Walmart clearance last fall but I may just sell that), and to play Stray.

Is Yakuza: Like A Dragon the one that added turn-based combat?  I remember playing a Yakuza game a while ago, maybe PS3 era and liking what I played, would Like A Dragon be a good one to jump into with limited knowledge of the series?

Is Yakuza: Like A Dragon the one that added turn-based combat? I remember playing a Yakuza game a while ago, maybe PS3 era and liking what I played, would Like A Dragon be a good one to jump into with limited knowledge of the series?
It has some callbacks, but stars a new character, so you'll be fine. They made it a jumping on point, which is why it likely isn't called Yakuza 7.

Is Yakuza: Like A Dragon the one that added turn-based combat?
For the first question, yes. After playing the game, I now think "Like a Dragon" is pretty much supposed to mean "Like Dragon Quest." The callbacks happen late in the game, but one somewhat spoils the ending of one of the previous protagonist's arcs. If this doesn't bother you then it's fine to start with 7.

Solid month, though I wish they had just thrown in the complete version of Little Nightmares since it's only $10 more.

There is a possibility of a cheap permanent claim for Tony Hawk, depending on how they do it since it's one of those $10 upgrades for the cross-gen bundle.
Yakuza games are quite long and best played with breaks in between IMHO, so owning is better. Still a good get for that program for those that have it a few years or so.
This, outside of 3, 4, 5 & 7 (with 7 being a moot point now), they regularly go on sale for $5 which is easily worth not having to deal with the worry that they'll come off the service. I'm sure 3 - 5 will eventually hit $5 each as well.

Worth noting is that 3 - 5 will be exclusive to the Premium tier when they come to Plus. 0 - 2 & 6 will only require Extra.

For the first question, yes. After playing the game, I now think "Like a Dragon" is pretty much supposed to mean "Like Dragon Quest." The callbacks happen late in the game, but one somewhat spoils the ending of one of the previous protagonist's arcs. If this doesn't bother you then it's fine to start with 7.
"Like a Dragon" is the literal translation of the Japanese name of the series "Ryu Ga Gotoku," which is why it's just Ryu Ga Gotoku 7 in Japan while the west gets it as a subtitle.

Is Yakuza: Like A Dragon the one that added turn-based combat? I remember playing a Yakuza game a while ago, maybe PS3 era and liking what I played, would Like A Dragon be a good one to jump into with limited knowledge of the series?
If you must play any of the older games after Like a Dragon, play Yakuza 0, Kiwami, and Kiwami 2. The Kiryu story has way too much baggage and the downgrade in gameplay isn't really worth putting up with over the next four games. Yeah, you're ruining a few big story beats if you play LaD first but it's nothing mindblowing, especially considering you'd have to suffer through Yakuza 6 to experience it.

If you must play any of the older games after Like a Dragon, play Yakuza 0, Kiwami, and Kiwami 2. The Kiryu story has way too much baggage and the downgrade in gameplay isn't really worth putting up with over the next four games. Yeah, you're ruining a few big story beats if you play LaD first but it's nothing mindblowing, especially considering you'd have to suffer through Yakuza 6 to experience it.
I strongly disagree especially with Yakuza 4 and 5 there is no downgrade in gameplay but instead an upgrade

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1552580101908439041

• Gamelists
    In your Game Library you can now create gamelists, which make organizing your games even easier.
  • To start, go to the [Your Collection] tab and select [Create Gamelist]. Choose games to add to your gamelist, then decide what to name it.
  • You can have up to 15 gamelists and 100 games per gamelist. All games under the “Your Collection” tab of your Game Library can be added to a gamelist, including disc, digital and streaming titles.*** You can also add the same game to multiple gamelists.
Seems like the same thing as the Groups on Switch, which was not the folders that people wanted.

Yakuza 4/5 are some of the strongest in the series protag/story/gameplay wise IMHO and you're doing yourself a disservice skipping them. I even like Yakuza 3 with Kiryu's kids. Not amazing, but still well worth playing even if the gameplay is just alright in that one. I still haven't played 6 yet, but will someday. Only one safe skipping is the zombie one Yakuza: Dead Souls, and even I don't find that one to be poop, just really repetitive with an alright story.

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but Yakuza 5 was very disappointing for me after enjoying 3 & 4. The story seemed to fall apart in the final act and some of the twists (including the "real" antagonist) didn't make sense in the full context of the story if you thought about them for a few minutes. The gameplay was pretty good and I did enjoy the character-exclusive activities (taxi-driving, hunting, rhythm game, baseball), but the lackluster plot was enough to sour me on the experience overall.

No idea what finally got them going but kudos to Sony for being on a hot streak addressing long-standing PS5 firmware complaints. I think lack of 1440p was the last big one.
The only thing on my firmware wishlist at the moment is Dualsense support for the PS4.

bread's done
Back