Playstation Deals, PS Plus games, and Discussion

psunami

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Thanks to Frisky for all of the hard work that he put in for the previous deals threads!

Feel free to post here about the newest Playstation deals, PS Plus games, and discussions about the previously mentioned items.

Official PlayStation™Store US

March 2024 games (available on March 5th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog

March 2024 games (available on March 19th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog
PlayStation Premium | Classics

Last edited:
I finally got a PS5 from Amazon, it arrives on Sunday. This is my first Playstation console ever. I never had a PS3 or PS4, but I’ve had Switch, PC and Xbox. What are my must plays? I have Gamepass on Xbox so I probably won’t get the PS+ equivalent one, I’m mostly looking to play first party stuff like Spider Man and Horizon.

I finally got a PS5 from Amazon, it arrives on Sunday. This is my first Playstation console ever. I never had a PS3 or PS4, but I’ve had Switch, PC and Xbox. What are my must plays? I have Gamepass on Xbox so I probably won’t get the PS+ equivalent one, I’m mostly looking to play first party stuff like Spider Man and Horizon.
Play Astros playroom first. It's included with the console. PS+ premium has first party games like Horizon, Spiderman and Miles morales and more. It's awesome and even more awesome since you've never owned any Playstation consoles so likely have missed many of the best games ever made.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/ps-plus/games/

Last edited by a moderator:
Depending on the speed at which you play games, at least PS+ Extra might be worth your time tbh. If you are actually someone who skipped PS3 and PS4, pretty much all the notable exclusives are available through that for the price of a single game or two. I've always said PS Now wasn't worth it unless you completely skipped PS3, so honestly you stand to gain the most by using it, unless you're someone who refuses to "not actually own a game"

Returnal, Ratchet & Clank the newer one, and GoW Ragnarock when it releases in November should be there too. Last of us coming in September is perfect too, if you've never touched the old one or the remastered.

Buy the Miles Morales Ultimate Edition, grab Horizon FW, then just play through the instant game collection and this month’s plus games. That should keep you busy for quite a while.

Miles Morales is in the Catalog though, as is Returnal. The only PS5 first-party holdouts are Sackboy, Ratchet, Spidey Remastered (which you can buy through the Miles Morales game for $20 iirc), Horizon 2 and GT7.

The PS5 I got was the bundle with Horizon 2 Forbidden West, so I will have that, I also have been claiming the free games they were giving away in the past, so I have the Uncharted Nathan Drake Collection, Ratchet and Clank, and Horizon Zero Dawn.

Hell persona 5 alone could keep them busy for months.

Let alone the yakuza series. 7 like a dragon is this months plus title. And iirc the other ones are coming to plus and essential or whatever.

Besides those Ys celceta, tales of vesperia would be recs rpg wise.

Play Astro's Playroom to get a feel for the Dualsense controller's features. It is probably not going to resonate as much for you though if you have no nostalgia for previous Playstation devices as a lot of the collecibles are old Playstation devices (PS1,PS2,PS3,PS4,VITA,PSP,etc). It is a good platformer/puzzler in the vein of a Nintendo Mario game though.

After that, just look through the Playstation Collection and figure out what genre of exclusives interests you. I personally enjoyed Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted series, God of War series, Last of Us games, Spiderman, Detroit Become Human and Until Dawn. Some of those are also now on PC though. There are other exclusives I intend to play but haven't yet like Bloodborne, Days Gone, Death Stranding, and Ghost of Tsushima.

By purchasing the ps4 hard copy of FF7 and getting the free ps5 upgrade, is the only thing I’m missing out on that dlc that is sold separately as well?

By purchasing the ps4 hard copy of FF7 and getting the free ps5 upgrade, is the only thing I’m missing out on that dlc that is sold separately as well?
I believe so. But this also just reminded me I was never able to redeem the upgrade in July due to the previous ps plus issue. Now gotta decide if it's worth the frustration of calling support.

The PS5 I got was the bundle with Horizon 2 Forbidden West, so I will have that, I also have been claiming the free games they were giving away in the past, so I have the Uncharted Nathan Drake Collection, Ratchet and Clank, and Horizon Zero Dawn.
That’s the bundle I got too. Play through Horizon before you start Forbidden West. If you have PS+ Essential, then play through the instant game catalog that shows up once you log into the store through your PS5. There’s a bunch of games from PS4 that are free to you. Give God of War, Days Gone, Ratchet and Clank (ps4 version), and Monster Hunter a whirl. Between all that you have available, you don’t necessarily need to buy a game for quite a while, especially if you’ve been stocking PS+ games too. Unfortunately, you can’t really install all that much with the ps5 hd. I’ve just been dumping a lot of time into Astros Playroom with my kids.

FYI, Dollar General has a PSN credit deal this week. Save $6 instantly when purchasing two $25 gift cards. Granted, the discount only amounts to 12% off, but probably about the best you’ll find this point in the season (at least until the 15-20% off around Black Friday, which has happened at DG the last few years). The ad mentions one discount per customer, but I’m guessing those wanting to capitalize on the deal multiple times can simply run separate transactions without issue.

Might come in handy for some with day one digital purchases as we get to the September/October release window. PSN wallet can now hold up to $250 at one time. Pic included for reference.

[attachment=37157:5DF5A93C-5FDA-46DE-9CB4-DB1A75FD83C6.jpeg]

Haven't played a ton of Sony-exclusive stuff but I would absolutely recommend playing Persona 5 Royal when it hits Game Pass.

My PS5 arrived, I have zero friends on PlayStation so far, DonkenRG if anyone wants to add me. We have been playing Astros Playground, my kids are loving it. I’m installing both Horizons and Ratchet and Clank.

I saw a pic of a bunch of PS4 Pros stacked on pallets with some PS3's on top for EVO.  Imagine them trying to do that with the current PS5 design.

giphy.gif

I love PlayStation exclusives, but when I didn’t get a PS5 at launch I simply decided I’d either wait for a design refresh or for a killer title that I just couldn’t wait for. I put in for invitations at multiple places a while back, and got nothing. With GoW coming shortly I was actually feeling a bit bummed out that I was out of luck. I got an Amazon invitation today, and the console should be here tomorrow. I can still sell my OG PS4 for nearly $200 in the current market, and I’m satisfied even though I think there will likely be some amazing redesign or bundle around the corner. Excited to play PlayStation again for the first time in basically 2 years. A decent amount to catch up on.

I love PlayStation exclusives, but when I didn’t get a PS5 at launch I simply decided I’d either wait for a design refresh or for a killer title that I just couldn’t wait for. I put in for invitations at multiple places a while back, and got nothing. With GoW coming shortly I was actually feeling a bit bummed out that I was out of luck. I got an Amazon invitation today, and the console should be here tomorrow. I can still sell my OG PS4 for nearly $200 in the current market, and I’m satisfied even though I think there will likely be some amazing redesign or bundle around the corner. Excited to play PlayStation again for the first time in basically 2 years. A decent amount to catch up on.
Nice! That Amazon invite thing is great once you get the email.

Marvel's Midnight Suns was also releasing at a terrible time IMHO, with direct competition from Diofield Chronicles in a somewhat similar genre, though who knows how good it will be. I will purchase Midnight Suns whenever it releases.

Marvel's Midnight Suns was also releasing at a terrible time IMHO, with direct competition from Diofield Chronicles in a somewhat similar genre, though who knows how good it will be. I will purchase Midnight Suns whenever it releases.
I lost a ton of interest when I heard it was card based. Cause you know what that means, microtransactions! Oh well, I'm actually replaying XCOM 2 on WOTC mode right now. Don't really need a new game.

Do PlayStation digital sales reset at a certain day/time each week? Like on Xbox it’s Mondays at 5pm/4pm PST depending on daylight savings. Just wondering if there is a certain time to check for sales on PlayStation.

Do PlayStation digital sales reset at a certain day/time each week? Like on Xbox it’s Mondays at 5pm/4pm PST depending on daylight savings. Just wondering if there is a certain time to check for sales on PlayStation.
3am EST / 12am PST on Wednesdays.

I lost a ton of interest when I heard it was card based. Cause you know what that means, microtransactions! Oh well, I'm actually replaying XCOM 2 on WOTC mode right now. Don't really need a new game.
Actually the costumes are where the microtransactions are it. Seem like a bit of money to get them.

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/08/10/playstation-plus-game-catalog-lineup-for-august-yakuza-0-trials-of-mana-dead-by-daylight-bugsnax/

Game Catalog lineup for PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium members

Yakuza 0

The glitz, glamour, and unbridled decadence of the 80s are back in Yakuza 0. Fight like hell through Tokyo and Osaka with protagonist Kazuma Kiryu and series regular Goro Majima. Play as the former to discover how he finds himself in a world of trouble when a simple debt collection goes wrong. Then, step into the silver-toed shoes of Goro Majima and explore his “normal” life as the proprietor of a cabaret club.

Yakuza Kiwami

The first Yakuza title debuted in 2005 on PS2. This PS4 remake rebuilds that experience from scratch. Follow the early days of Kazuma Kiryu as he returns to the streets of Japan after serving a decade-long prison sentence for a crime he didn’t commit to save his best friend.

Yakuza Kiwami 2

Yakuza’s sequel receives the remake treatment, not only updating the original but expanding it with a playable adventure starring Goro Majima set before the events of the main game. A year after the events of the first Yakuza, an assassination pulls Kazuma Kiryu out of a peaceful life to broker peace between rival clans and face off against Ryuji Goda, known as the Dragon of Kansai.

Dead by Daylight

Dead by Daylight is a 1v4 multiplayer game that draws from all corners of the horror world from a powerful slasher to a terrifying paranormal entity. Choose between playing an unstoppable Killer and one of 4 Survivors trying to evade a gruesome death. Each character has their own deep progression system and plenty of unlockables that can be customized to fit your personal strategy. Work together to escape, or stalk and sacrifice every Survivor.

Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Wildlands

Create a team with up to 3 friends and enjoy the ultimate military shooter experience set in a massive, dangerous, and responsive open world. Create and fully customize your Ghost, weapons, and gear. Enjoy a total freedom of playstyle and discover stunning diverse landscapes both on and off road, in the air, on land, and at sea with over 60 different vehicles.

Bugsnax

Play an investigative journalist who has set out to explore Snaktooth Island, home to legendary half-bug half-snack creatures, Bugsnax. Discover, hunt and capture all 100 critters while also tracking down and reuniting the island’s inhabitants.

Also available on August 16 are:

• Metro Exodus
  • Trials of Mana
  • UNO
  • Monopoly Madness
  • Monopoly Plus

The first three Yakuza games are great but have regularly been $5 (so I bought them of course) or in Kiwami's case, PS+, so it's hard to get that excited about them. They are also SP games with lengthy playtimes so owning them outright is a good idea.
DBD has also been a Plus game (that became a permanent freebie for those who claimed) but given the MP focus and it generally refusing to go below $12, it's a good addition. The Ubisoft additions are disappointing outside of Wildlands, they have much better lower prices titles they could add.
Bugsnax was a Plus game but at least this time the PS4 version is included. Metro Exodus was on PSNow but is still a good add, though the real highlight for me this month is Trials of Mana.

All in all, an alright month.
Edit: For the Extra-tier anyway. Premium getting 0 new BC games is lame.

Gamefly is having another used game sale. I'm starting to think I should go ahead and buy Miles Morales PS4 for $25, since I have never before seen it go for less than $30 (even though I know the PS5 version has been cheaper before).

Gamefly is having another used game sale. I'm starting to think I should go ahead and buy Miles Morales PS4 for $25, since I have never before seen it go for less than $30 (even though I know the PS5 version has been cheaper before).
Unless you're planning on reselling it or keeping it long-term, I would just sub to PS+ Extra/Premium. The game is not particularly long even if you're 100%ing it, nor does it have a ton of replay value imo (there's different difficulties you can tackle in combination with being OP in New Game+ and maybe you'll want to play it on PS5 whenever you get one, but that's about it).

What order should the yakuza games be played?
Numerical, probably. Y0 will probably be better for most than the Kiwamis that follow it, but it shouldn't be too bad.

That said, you can play Yakuza: Like a Dragon whenever since it's a separate game with a new protagonist and story, so it's newbie friendly.

What order should the yakuza games be played?
Chronological: 0, Kiwami, Kiwami 2, 3 - 6, Like A Dragon
or
Release: 1 or Kiwami, 2 or Kiwami 2, 3, 4, 5, 0, 6, Like A Dragon.
If you go in release order, you can either play the original 1&2 or the Kiwami remakes. 0 and the Kiwami remakes flow together better due to changes made to the original games in the remakes, but some purists prefer the original entries so if you're playing in release order, it doesn't make much difference.

bread's done
Back