Playstation Deals, PS Plus games, and Discussion

psunami

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Thanks to Frisky for all of the hard work that he put in for the previous deals threads!

Feel free to post here about the newest Playstation deals, PS Plus games, and discussions about the previously mentioned items.

Official PlayStation™Store US

March 2024 games (available on March 5th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog

March 2024 games (available on March 19th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog
PlayStation Premium | Classics

Last edited:
I think EA might feel these online multiplayer fees going up the most. Those Madden and FIFA players don’t have a free to play option.
Doesn't Sony also make a cut off of the microtransactions? Sounds like they'll be shooting themselves in the foot with that move.

Also wait until Sony charges Playstation gamers to play all of their upcoming live service games like Factions and it'll be free on PC.

"bootlickers" and "anti-consumer" you're full of funny buzzwords today.
Just call it like I see it.

You're really defending a billion dollar company raising the price of a subscription service by 33% while adding no additional value to it. You think they see you as anything more than a dollar sign?

While I agree the price hike is bullshit, there has to be a reason for it, and that upcoming State of Play will probably explain why.
the reason for it is shareholder value. same reason why companies lay off people while making profits, raise prices well above inflation levels, etc. It is also the same reason why every other week somebody is going on strike, corporate greed.

Paid peer to peer multiplier is a scam, it's literally just a toll. There's more data and back end needed to serve you ads and video content then game telemetry data.

The fact someone in 2023 doesn't yet know that is ridiculous. It's just like when we were charged extra for text messaging; the signal we used to use to sync phones to cell towers had an extra 140bits or so on it... That's why original text messages had a 140 character limit (or was it 120? Twitter pollutes that memory).

So it was literally free for the company but marketed as a premium feature to customers to pay for (and a lot!).

Same is with multiplayer. You think companies are just eating the cost on PC out of the goodness of their hearts? No, it's that they tried and got their asses kicked by the market. And it's dirt cheap to operate (and let's no also forget that juicy player personal data they collect!)

Walled gardens charging fees for access. Not a controversial statement. Paid multiplayer is a rip off, 100%. All three console companies got you paying for the right to have your data collected and to use the Internet, hardware, and software your already paid for in its intended manner. Just taking a little off the top!

Last edited by a moderator:
the reason for it is shareholder value. same reason why companies lay off people while making profits, raise prices well above inflation levels, etc. It is also the same reason why every other week somebody is going on strike, corporate greed.
I bet you just blew The Questyen's mind.

While I agree the price hike is bullshit, there has to be a reason for it, and that upcoming State of Play will probably explain why.
Is not making more profit so that Jim Ryan can buy a bigger yacht not reason enough? Jim Ryan is the Tim Cook of Apple. They are money guys who work for the shareholders, riding off the coattails of their predecessors. Just like it was Steve Jobs the creative genius behind Apple, it was the greats Jack Tretton, Andrew House, Kaz Hirai, Shaw Layden that really built the Playstation brand. What value has Jim Ryan added other than nomalize paid upgrades for backwards compatible games and $70 games this generation forcing Xbox and PC games to follow suit. When one corporation gets away with greed, the other will follow. Another generation of Jim Ryan will see price of games raise to $80. Games are already $100 here in Canada and other parts of the world.

Paid peer to peer multiplier is a scam, it's literally just a toll. There's more data and back end needed to serve you ads and video content then game telemetry data.
Amazing how quickly Sony went from consumer friendly free online multiplayer to $80 and putting cloud saves behind a paywall. They definitely got my money because of that.

Sony stock went up after the price increase announcement.
Because of the shareholders. More profits for shareholders means less for gamers. Both cannot exist in parallel, they exist in an inverse function.. More for one, means less for the other.

Amazing how quickly Sony went from consumer friendly free online multiplayer to $80 and putting cloud saves behind a paywall. They definitely got my money because of that.
Eff me running, but if Steam can over massive cloud save storage to everyone for free, then Sony sure as crap can.

The real burn is the inability to backup saves on USB storage. Ride or die, baby.

I don't pay the shake down money and I try to buy my PS4/5 titles used or on deep discount only because of that.

Jim Ryan is a chucklefuck, Can't stand the dude. Still gonna give Sony the benefit of the doubt UNTIL I can say otherwise for now lol
Do you think Sony is going to announce that they will be adding more to the PS+? That is wishful thinking, but if they DID copy Game Pass and add all first party games day one to it I would probably end up rejoining.

The only reason I can think of a price increase BEFORE an announcement of an addition is the announcement is just that damn costly and they "learned their lesson" from people getting years and years of Premium in advance for cheap.

Personally, I don't think there's anything particularly mindblowing coming but my theory would be that PS is officially adding all of its back catalog to Extra, maybe a pared down version for Essential (like the previous PS Plus Collection on PS5) and PS5 streaming to Premium, hence "justifying" the price hike of all three tiers.

Ppl really forget Xbox tried to double gold’s price from $60 to $120 in January 2021 and walked it back becuase they didn’t have the market that would accept it. It sucks sony is doing it but this is a bigger problem with consumers allowing corporations to get away with everything. Netflix took away a consumer right that we had password sharing for a decade, a feature they openly marketed, and they GAINED 5M users. Corrupt capitalism knows no limits whether it’s Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, Apple, etc

To be fair, most game reviewers seem to score on the scale of the American grading system, where anything below 60% is a straight up failure. By that metric, where C is average, a 70% is a slightly below average C-/D+.

Destructoid is the only mainstream game reviewer I know of that uses 50% as an average score.
Destructoid is one of the few mainstream gaming review sites I still trust, not only because of their review scale, but also because they are very fair to niche Japanese games, not giving them terrible reviews just for having fanservice.

Back in the day, EB Games used to offer a subscription to their magazine GMR, which I absolutely adored and was heartbroken when it was canceled, and they made it clear in their review section what each number out of 10 meant. They stated 5 was average and 7 was good. Since I was a young teenager back then, it pretty much shaped my idea of what review numbers should mean, and I wholeheartedly believe it's the most fair system. I don't believe games that score a 6 or 7 are bad, they're just not great. That'd be an 8, because 8 is gr8! :razz:

I have no idea what happened. I could have swore I read in your post that your husband waited years for Starfield but now I see that I didn't quote anything like that from what you posted. Maybe I mixed you up with someone else. Or maybe I am just going crazy.
giphy.gif

Because it's what/how they want to be. What's not to understand? Doesn't make it right, any less single-minded, or even twisted in certain cases, but it's pretty clear to see.

Ppl really forget Xbox tried to double gold’s price from $60 to $120 in January 2021 and walked it back becuase they didn’t have the market that would accept it. It sucks sony is doing it but this is a bigger problem with consumers allowing corporations to get away with everything. Netflix took away a consumer right that we had password sharing for a decade, a feature they openly marketed, and they GAINED 5M users. Corrupt capitalism knows no limits whether it’s Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, Apple, etc
I don't know why there hasn't been more pushback over this price hike. There was some anger the first day it was announced but maybe the timing of announcing it right before Starfield reviews hit was strategic by Sony.

Okay but how is it corrupt tho? They are charging what they think people will pay, and they’re probably right. They would be stupid not to. The problem is there are a whole bunch of marks in the world whose sole reason for existing is to “consume content.” They will pay literally anything to play whatever virtual Skinner box is currently trending, or to watch whatever disposable show or movie is plopped out every week. You don’t have to keep subbing to PS+ if the price increase is so bad. I certainly won’t. Your quality of life won’t take a hit. Use the money you saved to buy some stock or get an annual state park pass or take the significant other out to a nice dinner. It’s really not that serious. But if subs remain constant, and I think for the most part they will, well I guess that proves Sony was right. Then there will be another price increase down the line soon too.

PC gaming is comin back baby.  You should see how well-stocked the Microcenter store is these days. 

People aren't going to pay $100/year to connect just ONE of their consoles.  That's like leasing the full cost of a Gaming PC build over 10 years. 

Nintendo is stuck in Disney+ land.   They can't even charge more, and if they did, that would be a big mistake.  You'd lose tons of subs.  It only works cause it's $19.99.  Remember?  It had to be that low in order to even get anyone to sign up?

Every time one of these companies raises prices it's because they are hemorrhaging customers already.  It means things aren't going well.  They are no longer experiencing growth.  So they gotta gouge the folks who are too lazy to halt service, and their committed customer base.  But we only have half of our current digital subscriptions because they are cheap and affordable.  Very few of them are necessary. 

It's also going to make people think twice about buying a Playstation again, and that's putting it lightly.  Dumbass move.  By the hubristic market leader once again, like always. 

I literally just bought a PS5 due to PSN throttling PS4 users, after a couple of days getting used to it & being very underwhelm by it's overall construction, Sony goes and pulls the PS+ hike fiasco.  I've been a console dominate player all my life & I think this was my last console purchase.  I'm not paying $80 a year just to play online & I've only played one..ONE PS+ game across years that I didn't already owned.  I'm tired all the BS across the board.  Microsoft/Xbox was already on my fuck it list & now so is Playstation.  Unless Nintendo next system really perks my interest, yeah I'm done. 

So I guess it's PC only from here on out or I have to learn to go touch grass, cause I've had it.

I can play Returnal co-op for free on PC. It's about to cost $80 per year on PS5. That's a Sony first party game. How can any consumer justify that in their mind?

I can play Returnal co-op for free on PC. It's about to cost $80 per year on PS5. That's a Sony first party game. How can any consumer justify that in their mind?
The average consumer is completely unaware of their options, barely comprehends basic math, and/or views the PS5 as an aspirational status symbol, that’s how.

Okay but how is it corrupt tho? They are charging what they think people will pay, and they’re probably right. They would be stupid not to. The problem is there are a whole bunch of marks in the world whose sole reason for existing is to “consume content.” They will pay literally anything to play whatever virtual Skinner box is currently trending, or to watch whatever disposable show or movie is plopped out every week. You don’t have to keep subbing to PS+ if the price increase is so bad. I certainly won’t. Your quality of life won’t take a hit. Use the money you saved to buy some stock or get an annual state park pass or take the significant other out to a nice dinner. It’s really not that serious. But if subs remain constant, and I think for the most part they will, well I guess that proves Sony was right. Then there will be another price increase down the line soon too.
So if Sony would be stupid not to raise prices by 35 percent just because they can, they'd be stupid not to increase prices to $200 next year just because they could right? Sony increased prices of PS+ back in March of 2022 and they are already doing it again? Guaranteed they will try to increase prices again next year.

Saying take that money from cancelling PS+ and put it somewhere else is stupid. This is a gaming forum and we are gamers. We want to play our games. People broke as fuck out here. Between rent, food and all these subsription services (music, tv, games) evnetually something's gotta give. I've almost exclusively given up watching tv and movies. There's just simply not enough time to keep up with everything. And like somebody else said recently, these consoles feel like half a console without the subscription service.

This reminds me of the approach with freemium pay2win mobile games which are mostly funded by a handful of whales with many of them spending upwards of thousands of dollars. Yes some people have that much money but wouldn't it be better if they lowered the price of card packs to $5 so more people could afford it instead of $20 where only handful of people buy it? The same way that wouldn't it be better for Playstation if they had 40 million PS+ users paying $100 instead of 20 million users paying $135? Wouldn't it be better for the brand to have more users invested in the PS ecosystem? It's not a coincidence that they just stopped reporting monthly active users. They know they're going to take a hit.

Some asshole suit is looking at his balance sheet somewhere and deciding that this is how he is going to pay for their pointless and unnecessary $3.6bil Bungie acquisition that does nothing but attempt 'paid exclusivity' in the same way they are crying at Microsoft over Call of Duty. 

Maybe this will raise an eyebrow with peasants the next time their console maker makes a major studio acquisition. But who are we kidding, I doubt it. 

These major acquisitions and mergers are almost never a good thing. Especially not for consumers.

Nothing has changed. PSN has not improved in any fashion whatsoever. 

I bet other people miss the bare bones PS4 menu screen too.  None of this crap benefits us. 

"I can play Returnal for free on PS+. It costs $60 on Steam. How can PC users justify the premium when it releases years after the console version?"

I don't know why there hasn't been more pushback over this price hike. There was some anger the first day it was announced but maybe the timing of announcing it right before Starfield reviews hit was strategic by Sony.
It's a holiday weekend.
It's a long running tactic to drop unpopular new late afternoon on Friday before a Holiday weekend as most people won't see it until Tuesday so the initial furor will have passed a bit.

Netflix did the same thing earlier in the year with it's price increase.

"I can play Returnal for free on PS+. It costs $60 on Steam. How can PC users justify the premium when it releases years after the console version?"
Technically not "free" since you have to pay for plus but from a bystander it sounds like both routes suck. But this is cag so I doubt anyone paid full price for either.

I extended my Plus Essential subscription to 7/1/2025.  I don't own a PS5, and I hardly ever download the monthly Plus games to try them out, so I didn't feel the need to buy into a higher tier.  However, I do play several games that have daily leaderboard contests, so I figured that it was worth renewing before the price hike just for that.

Just finished FFXVI last night and loved the entire journey.

I can't remember much of anything about FFXV except that I drove around in a car. This game had me invested in almost every character throughout.

Will be happy to pick up the DLC when it is available.

You finished 14, the MMO? Or 16, the latest installment? I'm playing 15 now, and to enjoy the story, you have to consume the other media, particularly the CG movie Kingsglaive, which sets up events in the game. The movie is pretty good, and stars Lena Headey and Sean Bean from Game of Thrones. It's funny that to improve FF games, the developers just looked to Game of Thrones.

You finished 14, the MMO? Or 16, the latest installment? I'm playing 15 now, and to enjoy the story, you have to consume the other media, particularly the CG movie Kingsglaive, which sets up events in the game. The movie is pretty good, and stars Lena Headey and Sean Bean from Game of Thrones. It's funny that to improve FF games, the developers just looked to Game of Thrones.
I meant 16. Phone autocorrected it to 14.

Everybody should watch Kingsglaive regardless if they intend to play FFXV or not. It is really well done!

Just finished FFXVI last night and loved the entire journey.

I can't remember much of anything about FFXV except that I drove around in a car. This game had me invested in almost every character throughout.

Will be happy to pick up the DLC when it is available.
Really hoping for a Jill DLC. What a great character she is.

bread's done
Back