Playstation Deals, PS Plus games, and Discussion

psunami

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Thanks to Frisky for all of the hard work that he put in for the previous deals threads!

Feel free to post here about the newest Playstation deals, PS Plus games, and discussions about the previously mentioned items.

Official PlayStation™Store US

March 2024 games (available on March 5th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog

March 2024 games (available on March 19th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog
PlayStation Premium | Classics

Last edited:
Target Circle has a targeted promo for $15 back on $100. These typically work with Xbox / PSN / eshop credit.

Some folks also have a 15% off a single purchase which might stack, according to people on slickdeals.

New PS5 owner that wants Spiderman. Anyone happen to know if the PS4 disc upgrade to PS5 is still available and how much it would cost? I see the remaster is currently $30 on the PS Store but I'd rather get the PS4 disc and upgrade if the cost is about the same - thanks!
FYI - bought Spider-Man for PS4 on disc for $11, used my GameStop pro monthly five dollar coupon toward $10 in PSN credit. Used the $10 PSN to upgrade to the PS five remastered version of Spider-Man. Needed $.60 to pay for tax so I applied a virtual credit card number to my PSN account and then locked the virtual credit card after the transaction.

Last edited by a moderator:
HYYYYYYYYYYPPPPPPPPE

One thing that bothers me: I've accepted the whole Pete face change thing (I don't give a damn if he looks like Tom Holland), but I just don't think that voice matches that face now, so it's still pretty distracting to me. But, maybe he'll be wearing the mask a lot more for story reasons, so whatever. Nothing will get me less excited for this game!

Man that trailer is bonkers in the best way. Can't wait.

FYI - bought Spider-Man for PS4 on disc for $11, used my GameStop pro monthly five dollar coupon toward $10 in PSN credit. Used the $10 PSN to upgrade to the PS five remastered version of Spider-Man. Needed $.60 to pay for tax so I applied a virtual credit card number to my PSN account and then locked the virtual credit card after the transaction.
Also, the $10 upgrade includes all the DLC with the PS5 version, which is nice for folks that don't already have it.

And for anyone who cares, trophies stack / are separate but saves only transfer from PS4 to PS5.

So it no longer is a villain from star wars?
Nope, confirming it is indeed pronounced Kate + Star Wars villain

And now a bunch of Gaelic language purists, who not once seemed to care about the preservation of the language before today, are up in arms about it on social media

And now a bunch of Gaelic language purists, who not once seemed to care about the preservation of the language before today, are up in arms about it on social media
Eh, I think they should have gone with the Gaelic pronunciation. I always tried to pronounce the name properly when I played FFVII (once I got internet and looked up how to pronounce it), so I'm going to have a hard time hearing it pronounced wrong. I agree that the social media outrage is stupid, as most social media outrages are, but it is the name of an actual Celtic fairy, so they should pronounce it correctly.

To be perfectly honest though, I was kind of hoping Cait Sith would be made unplayable, because he was kind of useless. I'd greatly prefer Vincent being playable and not a guest character.

Wasn’t there another big brouhaha about some word that everyone was pronouncing wrong for years when the first FF7 Remake came out? I forget what it was but I remember it being important to the story.

Stuff like this is funny. Just what happens when a game doesn’t have voice acting and people are forced to pronounce strange words that are unfamiliar.

I always renamed Cait Sith after one of my pets anyway.

To be perfectly honest though, I was kind of hoping Cait Sith would be made unplayable, because he was kind of useless. I'd greatly prefer Vincent being playable and not a guest character.
It makes more sense for them to do it the way they are. Think about it, with each new game in the "Remake" trilogy, they have to give you new party members to control and use. If they let people play as Vincent and Cid in this game, then there will be no characters left to join your party as a playable character in the third game of the series.

Childhood officially ruined.
My...well, I hate to use the word childhood since I was 20 when FF7 came out, but my young-adult-hood is preserved as I always called him "Kate Sith". I never even knew it was pronounced differently until recently when all the reactors started saying it different while watching the latest trailer.

https://twitter.com/finalfantasyvii/status/1709259777325543892
What was the preferred pronunciation? Isn't the way they wrote it how it was supposed to be said? Or did people say "cat" before?

Edit - Alright I bother to look on reddit about this controversy. Guess I was ignorant to this issue. The more you know!

In real life I've literally never heard anyone pronounce it anyway other than how it looks "Cait Sith". The outrage is just an online vocal minority as usual.

In real life I've literally never heard anyone pronounce it anyway other than how it looks "Cait Sith". The outrage is just an online vocal minority as usual.
No one in real life ever pronounced it any differently when I was younger. How are these angry internet people saying it is pronounced?

I was more shocked playing FFXVI when I heard someone say chocobo. They pronounced it chawk-a-bow when all these years I would say cho-ka-bo.

No one in real life ever pronounced it any differently when I was younger. How are these angry internet people saying it is pronounced?

I was more shocked playing FFXVI when I heard someone say chocobo. They pronounced it chawk-a-bow when all these years I would say cho-ka-bo.
They pronounce it Ket Shee.

Understandable. Most people I know say Choke-a-bow. I was thrown off in FF15 when they say Chawk-a bow. I'm fine with either.

eb027749b41b18e8b05caec8e0165a80.jpg

😁

Since the very beginning, I've always pronounced it Chaw-ko-bow. No different really than pronouncing Chocolate. Except -bo instead of -late.

It makes more sense for them to do it the way they are. Think about it, with each new game in the "Remake" trilogy, they have to give you new party members to control and use. If they let people play as Vincent and Cid in this game, then there will be no characters left to join your party as a playable character in the third game of the series.
The games are going to sell like gangbusters regardless of if they have new characters to play as or not. People will buy the third entry just to see how the story ends (plus the third entry needs to cover 2 more discs, so there will be plenty to do). Plus, Rebirth is introducing combo attacks to keep the combat fresh, so they can easily revamp the combat once more for Remake 3. I think it's extremely irritating to state the game ends at the Forgotten Capital, a place you go to well after receiving Vincent and a little while after receiving Cid, and yet those two will be controlled by the AI for the rest of the game (we think with Cid, we don't even know if he's actually in the game yet). Remake, on the other hand, ended with the escape from Midgar, meaning that in the original, you had Red for like 10 minutes, so it makes sense he was AI-controlled. There are dozens more selling points for Remake 3 than just a couple of new characters (and with the direction they could be taking with the story, we may be getting at least one Remake-only playable character for the third entry). People didn't throw out discs 2 and 3 of the original FFVII because they got all their characters on the first disc. They kept playing because the game was fun and the story was intriguing.

I guess I'm just still not really on board with Squeenix insisting on padding the crap out of the Remake trilogy to drag the story out. I don't hate the Remake project, I'm just not as impressed by a lot of the plot choices. And I'm not a story purist, by any means; I like seeing different takes on the events of the games. I just think using those stupid Whispers as a plot device is a complete waste (just commit to your changes, tell a new story) and a lot of the additional story segments felt like padding. So I'm interested in Rebirth, but when Squeenix says it'll be 100 hours, I have to wonder how much of that is needless padding. But I'm still really curious to see how they retell this story, hence why I pre-ordered the Deluxe Edition. Oh, and for that beautiful steelbook. I pop for anything Zack.

Most people I know say Choke-a-bow. I was thrown off in FF15 when they say Chawk-a bow. I'm fine with either.
I say choke-a-bow, and I also say gy-shawl greens for some reason, even though I know it's pronounced gy-sal. This reminds me of the Nopon from Xenoblade. If it's a British voice actor, they pronounce it nah-pawn, but if it's an American actor, they say no-pon, like how it looks. I always say the latter, so the Brits confuse me lol

They pronounce it Ket Shee.

Understandable. Most people I know say Choke-a-bow. I was thrown off in FF15 when they say Chawk-a bow. I'm fine with either.
I knew a guy who always said "chuh-CO-BO" with a very strange emphasis on the middle syllable. He pronounced Taco Bell the same way (Tah-COBELL).

As someone who studied Japanese, it becomes pretty easy to understand once you realize how they translate to English. Cho-ko-bo being one of the easier ones, however some don't always translate 1:1 which is why some people still prefer Aeris vs Aerith. Earisu can be translated either way, so it's up to interpretation/preference much like English words are full of oddities.

I guess I'm just still not really on board with Squeenix insisting on padding the crap out of the Remake trilogy to drag the story out. I don't hate the Remake project, I'm just not as impressed by a lot of the plot choices. And I'm not a story purist, by any means; I like seeing different takes on the events of the games. I just think using those stupid Whispers as a plot device is a complete waste (just commit to your changes, tell a new story) and a lot of the additional story segments felt like padding. So I'm interested in Rebirth, but when Squeenix says it'll be 100 hours, I have to wonder how much of that is needless padding. But I'm still really curious to see how they retell this story, hence why I pre-ordered the Deluxe Edition. Oh, and for that beautiful steelbook. I pop for anything Zack.
While I do agree there was a lot of padding in Remake, I feel that was because they wanted the first game to take place entirely in Midgar and there wasn't enough content in the source material to make the Midgar experience a full-price title.

The thing is, they are telling a new story. This new trilogy was never intended to be a straight remake; it's a stealth sequel. The "Remake" in the title refers to Sephiroth's actions in traveling back in time and trying to remake the history during the events of the first game. The Whispers were important because they were trying hard to keep the timeline intact.

The remake trilogy is the FF7 equivalent to Back to the Future II or Avengers: Engame. Going back in time to the events of a previous installment and adding-to and/or changing things.

I get that, I just don't like that being the plot and would have seriously just preferred a retelling of the story. All of the Whisper nonsense, with Aerith and Sephiroth talking in riddles constantly, just reeks of that mystery box storytelling that's so in vogue right now in movies, TV, and video games. I keep using that term on here, but it's because that's become such a prevalent way to tell a story now and I can't freaking stand it. Go ahead and hide things, tease and bait and intrigue, but you have to eventually pay it off and more often than not, the pay off is either more questions or just a huge letdown. I am so over that type of storytelling. Back to the Future 2 was at least pretty cut and dry with its developments and payoffs. Hell, the entire Back to the Future trilogy is a multi-layered story that's super easy to follow because it isn't 5 hours of MYSTERY that leads to 10 minutes of a confusing ending. I'd be really happy if FFVII Remake was like Back to the Future!

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to argue and I may not even be making a lot of sense, but I'm just so sick of the JJ Abrams crap in stories now. It's like when I watched that giant turd of a mystery box, Star Trek Picard. I'm a massive Star Trek fan and I wanted to hunt down and kill everyone involved in that horrific show.

As someone who studied Japanese, it becomes pretty easy to understand once you realize how they translate to English. Cho-ko-bo being one of the easier ones, however some don't always translate 1:1 which is why some people still prefer Aeris vs Aerith. Earisu can be translated either way, so it's up to interpretation/preference much like English words are full of oddities.
Additionally they tend to also change names to sound more exotic in the older games in different regions. Thus why Tina is Terra as one weird change irrc.

I get that, I just don't like that being the plot and would have seriously just preferred a retelling of the story. All of the Whisper nonsense, with Aerith and Sephiroth talking in riddles constantly, just reeks of that mystery box storytelling that's so in vogue right now in movies, TV, and video games. I keep using that term on here, but it's because that's become such a prevalent way to tell a story now and I can't freaking stand it. Go ahead and hide things, tease and bait and intrigue, but you have to eventually pay it off and more often than not, the pay off is either more questions or just a huge letdown. I am so over that type of storytelling. Back to the Future 2 was at least pretty cut and dry with its developments and payoffs. Hell, the entire Back to the Future trilogy is a multi-layered story that's super easy to follow because it isn't 5 hours of MYSTERY that leads to 10 minutes of a confusing ending. I'd be really happy if FFVII Remake was like Back to the Future!

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to argue and I may not even be making a lot of sense, but I'm just so sick of the JJ Abrams crap in stories now. It's like when I watched that giant turd of a mystery box, Star Trek Picard. I'm a massive Star Trek fan and I wanted to hunt down and kill everyone involved in that horrific show.
I don't see any arguement; just discussion. It sounds like we are on opposite sides of the coin. As much as I do like simple stories sometimes, I love media with some head-scratching, mind-bending mystery. Part of what makes the Scream series so fun is trying to figure out who Ghostface is; guessing the killer in the Happy Death Day films; or the reveal of the twist in each Saw film. Then there are the movies that actively try to screw with your brain like Donnie Darko, mother!, Predestination and Coherence. Love them all.

I can't speak for Star Trek Picard; other than Firefly or Red Dwarf, I could never get very far into the space genre like Star Trek or Star Wars without losing interest quick. But when it comes to JJ Abrams, I did love Lost and all the mysteries that came with it.

As much as you seem to think the Mystery Box trope is overused, for me it has to be the Downer Ending trope. It used to be in the movies of yesteryear, you'd at least have a Final Girl who defeats the villain and gets a semi-happy ending. Nowadays, the villains always wins and nothing goes right for the protagonists. The steaming turd of a movie that best illustrates what I don't like in movies today would be Hereditary. And even if it actually did end on a good note, it still couldn't save it from the rest of it's runtime. That's 127 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

I mean, I’m a little pissed off about it since I started off calling him Kate Sith in high school but then actually bothered learning how those words were supposed to be pronounced in college, but there’s very little Square Enix does that isn’t a disappointment, so I can’t say I’m surprised enough to do much more than write this post.

Seriously, though, why do this and also bother correcting Aeris?

When in doubt, do the Japanese (hiragana syllable) pronunciations. 

ghee-saul greens.  choh-ko-boh.  No one can tell me otherwise.  That's about all I can remember from high school Japanese class anyways. 

I don't see any arguement; just discussion. It sounds like we are on opposite sides of the coin. As much as I do like simple stories sometimes, I love media with some head-scratching, mind-bending mystery. Part of what makes the Scream series so fun is trying to figure out who Ghostface is; guessing the killer in the Happy Death Day films; or the reveal of the twist in each Saw film. Then there are the movies that actively try to screw with your brain like Donnie Darko, mother!, Predestination and Coherence. Love them all.

I can't speak for Star Trek Picard; other than Firefly or Red Dwarf, I could never get very far into the space genre like Star Trek or Star Wars without losing interest quick. But when it comes to JJ Abrams, I did love Lost and all the mysteries that came with it.

As much as you seem to think the Mystery Box trope is overused, for me it has to be the Downer Ending trope. It used to be in the movies of yesteryear, you'd at least have a Final Girl who defeats the villain and gets a semi-happy ending. Nowadays, the villains always wins and nothing goes right for the protagonists. The steaming turd of a movie that best illustrates what I don't like in movies today would be Hereditary. And even if it actually did end on a good note, it still couldn't save it from the rest of it's runtime. That's 127 minutes of my life I'll never get back.
It's difficult to convey emotion in text, so I just wanted to say I mean no ill will.

I'm always on board for a good mystery, I just feel a lot of shows and video games drag their mysteries on for way too long without a payoff. I used to love watching The Blacklist (90% of the reason being James Spader lol), but after I think 6 seasons, it was becoming clear to me that the showrunners had very little interest in actually answering questions and preferred to introduce more mysteries. Now people like you dig that, and that's great, but I just got tired of waiting and lost interest. I just don't feel that every story needs to be Lost, but because JJ Abrams has become so popular, many people have copied him, and it's become a trope. I'd just like some answers to the first dozen questions before you introduce two dozen more.

And yes, 100% agree on the Downer Ending trope. I have no issue with stories having sad endings, but not every story needs to be that way. You play a 100 hour RPG, you want a triumphant ending, or at least one that can be wrapped up in a nice bow. If it needs to be a more bittersweet ending, at least give good reasons for it, like a necessary sacrifice for the greater good or a warm message about cherishing the people you love. It's the difference between Final Fantasy games like VII, IX, and X, that did have some sad parts of the ending but were overall positive, and XV and XVI, which I won't get into due to spoilers (and at least XV had an extremely emotional scene between the main 4 bros that softened the blow of the ending). It's one of the reasons why Xenoblade 3 really rubbed me the wrong way. Xenoblade 1 and 2 have such hopeful, beautiful endings, and 3 comes along and essentially invalidated all of that. It was depressing as all hell. And yes, I know the ending wasn't actually a downer, but it was 100 hours of a downer game and I was over it at the end.

I mean god, look at Rise of Skywalker. What a dour ending to the Skywalker saga that was. Oops, I brought up JJ Abrams again. I'm not trying to shit on him. He made Super 8! That movie was great (until the last 10 minutes lol). My mind just jumped to Star Wars.

I suppose both the Downer Ending and Mystery Box tropes are kind of commentaries on current society. Movies are escapes, yes, but they also reflect their era's concerns and problems. Writers write what they know, after all, and so many people are terrified of what tomorrow holds. They've lost hope and only see despair on the horizon. Nihilism and fear of the unknown have led to fiction leaning more toward these tropes in response. What should be guaranteed pick me up movies like the new Indiana Jones still have those notions of misery in them (Indy is a grumpy divorcee whose son is dead, how charming). Yes, people didn't like that movie, but you can't entirely fault the writers from misreading the room. Our society and political climate right now is teetering on extreme cynicism.

Jesus, I made that depressing. Sorry about that!

I mean, I’m a little pissed off about it since I started off calling him Kate Sith in high school but then actually bothered learning how those words were supposed to be pronounced in college, but there’s very little Square Enix does that isn’t a disappointment, so I can’t say I’m surprised enough to do much more than write this post.

Seriously, though, why do this and also bother correcting Aeris?
Same, I knew I was pronouncing it wrong and endeavored to learn the correct pronunciation. Now I'm expected to pronounce it wrong again. Thanks, Squeenix.

Baka gaijin...

A lot of spilt ink over nothing, IMO. We were big enough dorks in high school arguing if Working Designs was better than Squaresoft.

Baka gaijin...

A lot of spilt ink over nothing, IMO. We were big enough dorks in high school arguing if Working Designs was better than Squaresoft.
Man, Working Designs was definitely one of the greats. I was genuinely sad when I heard they'd closed up shop. I still have my original PS1 Arc the Lad Collection as well as the Lunar & Lunar 2 CEs. Great stuff there!

Working designs isn’t even better than Square Enix.
[attachment=38214:WDvsSE.png]

Man, Working Designs was definitely one of the greats. I was genuinely sad when I heard they'd closed up shop. I still have my original PS1 Arc the Lad Collection as well as the Lunar & Lunar 2 CEs. Great stuff there!
Me too. I got Lunar at release, it was my very first "collectors edition" and game. I remember not being able to afford Lunar 2 or Arc the Lad collection at release but eventually got both years later. I also remember that massively complex 6 disc case Arc the Lad Collection came in and how I dropped that case right after getting it and it cracked.

I’m not going to say that there wasn’t some merit in what they were doing—back in the 90s, there were few companies willing to take a chance on more obscure Japanese properties, and of course the physical add-ons went well above and beyond expectations. At the same time, let’s not forget how often they messed with the gameplay—sometimes even breaking the games—in the name of combatting rentals, the sometimes massive liberties they took with their localized scripts, and how often they promoted their own company over the original developer in the credits as if the game were their creation.

Now this is the nerd fights I enjoy.

Working Designs provided a ton of value to early gaming weebs in getting games we'd likely never see otherwise.

And divisive as their translations can be, the fact they weren't sterile or half assed during that time was also great.

A lot their love also comes from honoring the traditional JRPG of yesterday when square was either doing non-fantasy stuff, super serious aesthetics, or funding their future financial downfall...

bread's done
Back