Playstation Deals, PS Plus games, and Discussion

psunami

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Thanks to Frisky for all of the hard work that he put in for the previous deals threads!

Feel free to post here about the newest Playstation deals, PS Plus games, and discussions about the previously mentioned items.

Official PlayStation™Store US

March 2024 games (available on March 5th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog

March 2024 games (available on March 19th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog
PlayStation Premium | Classics

Last edited:
Sony is adding a collection of movies for Premium members to watch at no additional cost. They also plan to add some Crunchyroll content.
https://blog.playstation.com/2023/10/05/sony-pictures-core-formerly-bravia-core-launches-on-ps5-and-ps4-consoles-exclusive-benefits-including-early-access-to-select-sony-pictures-films/
THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!! So glad that Sony added more value after the price hike. From the article: "There will also be additional benefits for all PlayStation Plus members, so stay tuned for more details."

What else do you think we are getting?

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, Working Designs was definitely one of the greats. I was genuinely sad when I heard they'd closed up shop. I still have my original PS1 Arc the Lad Collection as well as the Lunar & Lunar 2 CEs. Great stuff there!
The Lunar CE was what finally got me to get a PS1 since there was nothing close to it on Nintendo 64. Working Designs was something special at that time, and while it's easy to bash them when viewed through the lens of the present, what they were doing at that time was far beyond what anyone else did. Their localisations, dubs, packaging, extras and guides put much bigger companies like Sony and Square to shame.

I’m not going to say that there wasn’t some merit in what they were doing—back in the 90s, there were few companies willing to take a chance on more obscure Japanese properties, and of course the physical add-ons went well above and beyond expectations. At the same time, let’s not forget how often they messed with the gameplay—sometimes even breaking the games—in the name of combatting rentals, the sometimes massive liberties they took with their localized scripts, and how often they promoted their own company over the original developer in the credits as if the game were their creation.
I've heard of their translations being questioned and have heard they made some games harder, but never heard of any game breaking gameplay changes... though I believe it, I could not beat the final boss in Lunar 2 PS1 back in the day (always got it down sub-10% health, then it would just kill my party off easily in a round or two). But changes and self-promotion aside, they brought over some really solid games to the states. SE, for what was merger of the two biggest RPG houses, seemed like misfired a lot (FFX-2, the whole FF Crystal Novela BS, KH after part 2, etc.)

The notable movies I see on the Sony Pictures Core app:

Attack the Block

Black Dynamite

Can't Hardly Wait

Driven

The Fifth Element

Final Fantasy VII Advent Children

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance

Go

Godzilla 1998, 2000, Mothra and King Ghidorah, Final Wars

Hancock

Idle Hands

Iron Man: Rise of the Technovore

Johnny Mnemonic

Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV

Labyrinth

Looper

Lords of Dogtown

Multiplicity

My Girl

Resident Evil Degeneration & Vendetta

Run Lola Run

Also features sequels for The Boondock Saints and Starship Troopers that everybody obviously knew existed before this.

All this Working Designs talk and no mention of... ???... huge pic to match the shame...

alundra-1660946408367.jpg

The notable movies I see on the Sony Pictures Core app:

Attack the Block
Black Dynamite
Can't Hardly Wait
Driven
The Fifth Element
Final Fantasy VII Advent Children
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
Go
Godzilla 1998, 2000, Mothra and King Ghidorah, Final Wars
Hancock
Idle Hands
Iron Man: Rise of the Technovore
Johnny Mnemonic
Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV
Labyrinth
Looper
Lords of Dogtown
Multiplicity
My Girl
Resident Evil Degeneration & Vendetta
Run Lola Run

Also features sequels for The Boondock Saints and Starship Troopers that everybody obviously knew existed before this.
Ok, I don’t watch movies or TV, but this is a really shitty selection of films right? I mean, are we supposed to be ok with the PS+ price increase because now it includes such 30 year old gems like Multiplicity and Can’t Hardly Wait?

I’m not going to say that there wasn’t some merit in what they were doing—back in the 90s, there were few companies willing to take a chance on more obscure Japanese properties, and of course the physical add-ons went well above and beyond expectations. At the same time, let’s not forget how often they messed with the gameplay—sometimes even breaking the games—in the name of combatting rentals, the sometimes massive liberties they took with their localized scripts, and how often they promoted their own company over the original developer in the credits as if the game were their creation.
square soft and enix are both guilty of messing with the gameplay and script and aren't the only ones to do so during localizations. So I don't really see the point of bringing it up to cite one single company when multiple companies all did it. It makes you out to be a fanatic for square enix/soft and specifically only against working designs. And it kills any standing your opinion/argument had as extremely bias.

Now the promoting thing I never heard about so I won't touch on that.

All this Working Designs talk and no mention of... ???... huge pic to match the shame...
Y'know, I've heard nothing but great things about this one, but sadly it was never one I got around to buying or playing. Of course nowadays I don't think I've seen a copy less than $100.

Ok, I don’t watch movies or TV, but this is a really shitty selection of films right? I mean, are we supposed to be ok with the PS+ price increase because now it includes such 30 year old gems like Multiplicity and Can’t Hardly Wait?
The entitlement in this post is off the charts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Working Designs kind of started the Collector's Edition release.  While yeah there were a few prior, the whole concept really took off post Working Designs and at least they did it right at no extra cost.  It was just there standards release for the title at the time and the quality was top notch of them.  I still say til this day that the pendant that came with the psx Lunar 2 could knock someone out if you chucked it at their head.  Now that's quality dam it!  :lol:

I'm still disappointed that we never got any re-release of any of their titles though

Working Designs kind of started the Collector's Edition release. While yeah there were a few prior, the whole concept really took off post Working Designs and at least they did it right at no extra cost. It was just there standards release for the title at the time and the quality was top notch of them. I still say til this day that the pendant that came with the psx Lunar 2 could knock someone out if you chucked it at their head. Now that's quality dam it! :lol:

I'm still disappointed that we never got any re-release of any of their titles though
OMG yes! Lucia's pendant is a lot heavier than I would have ever anticipated, but I love it! Easily one of the best CE items I've seen imo. Amazing quality!

square soft and enix are both guilty of messing with the gameplay and script and aren't the only ones to do so during localizations. So I don't really see the point of bringing it up to cite one single company when multiple companies all did it. It makes you out to be a fanatic for square enix/soft and specifically only against working designs. And it kills any standing your opinion/argument had as extremely bias.

what timeline was that in? because it certainly wasn't this one.
oh my goodness! Shadowysea bringin the fire this morn. :hot:

:bomb: :bomb: :bomb:

Localization is an art and some do it better than others. You get everything from pop culture references (Vic Ireland in many Working Designs games and even today when I see visual novels have corny stuff like old memes like me gustas tu or something haha), censorship, different choice of words, flow of dialogue and a million other things.

I do hope we get those games on modern consoles again like the Lunar or Arc the Lad games, but I'm sure they're in licensing hell right now. If they do come back the scripts likely need to be tweaked as well, unless it's just a port.

Frankly back in the SNES and PS1 days many translations were funky. There is a reason there is so much material for laughter like Dracula and his infamous speech in SOTN to the Zero scene with what am I fighting forrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

PS1 seriously has the most satisfying box collections with those jeweled cases and their contents.  I just wish I had gotten a few of those early longbox games which I missed out on like King's Field. 

That, and Sega Saturn longbox jewel case collection which I missed out on are the only retro things I find truly appealing.  A lot of that nostalgic stuff is lost to time. 

I don't feel the same way about Nintendo (complete N64 and SNES box editions).  They don't keep well.  They'd bend and get creased upon your very first unboxing of the game in the 90's.  They were also paper boxes and they were meant to be discarded. Nintendo games have been updated and re-released so many times.  There's eshop and Play-Asia physical versions and HD re-masters of most Nintendo stuff which makes the absurd valuations, and poor QoL, from retro carts seem insanely outdated to me.  They have been obsoleted.

But I still get great satisfaction from my PS1 jewel case collection, and break one out to play every now and then. 

Every dude who duded was listening to Meteora when I was in high school.
Linkin Park was my gateway to rock when I was in junior high. Before that it was all pop, boy bands, eurodance, and my mom's A Tribe Called Quest and Jamiroquai albums (those albums remain amazing today, though). I still love their music (well, all the stuff before they started soundtracking Transformers movies).

I've been watching a lot of Baldur's Gate 3 videos lately, because I love medieval style RPGs. It looks like a fantastic game, but I have never played DnD, nor could I ever really get into Divinity Original Sin. As I said, it looks amazing, but overwhelming.

I'm wondering if BG3 would be different, or if it would just be a waste of money in the end. 

I've been watching a lot of Baldur's Gate 3 videos lately, because I love medieval style RPGs. It looks like a fantastic game, but I have never played DnD, nor could I ever really get into Divinity Original Sin. As I said, it looks amazing, but overwhelming.

I'm wondering if BG3 would be different, or if it would just be a waste of money in the end.
Baldur's Gate III is basically Divinity, and what we know as previous Bioware games. It is just like Mass Effect or Dragon Age but with much more robust detail and refinement. A perfect hybrid between those titles and the original Baldur's Gates, but with Divinity combat.

It is a true Bioware game. Of which we haven't had in over a decade. It is also just like Divinity. It is a Dungeons & Dragons game as well but I would say it is moreso those previous two things. If you didn't play them, or aren't fond of either, then I'd say 'pass'. But to those of us whom loved Bioware games, this is a godsend. The graphics and the character models, the voice acting, and the decision making trees are all top notch. It is a D&D campaign perfectly implemented into a crpg.

It's going to steal most Game of the Year awards away from Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom.

Baldur's Gate III is basically Divinity, and what we know as previous Bioware games. It is just like Mass Effect or Dragon Age but with much more robust detail and refinement. A perfect hybrid between those titles and the original Baldur's Gates, but with Divinity combat.

It is a true Bioware game. Of which we haven't had in a decade. It is also just like Divinity. It is a Dungeons & Dragons game as well but I would say it is moreso those previous two things. If you didn't play them, or aren't fond of either, then I'd say 'pass'. But to those of us whom loved Bioware games, this is a godsend. The graphics and the character models, the voice acting, and the decision making trees are all top notch. It is a D&D campaign perfectly implemented into a crpg game.

It's going to steal most Game of the Year awards away from Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom.
I loved the Mass Effect and Dragon Age games, so much. I'm not even really sure what it was about Divinity that didn't grip me, but I didn't hate it. Perhaps this one is worth a try if/when it goes on sale.

I loved the Mass Effect and Dragon Age games, so much. I'm not even really sure what it was about Divinity that didn't grip me, but I didn't hate it. Perhaps this one is worth a try if/when it goes on sale.
Divinity has a really slow start. Combat and exploration move at a snail's pace. Plus combat can be unforgiving until it all clicks for you. Defeat will occur.

I totally get it.

You gotta put yourself in a different mindset when you play these types of games. It's more about immersion and role-playing, picking a playstyle, stopping to smell the roses and enjoying the storybook tale.

I’m a long time amateur translator (I do stuff mostly for fun and practice, but I’ve done my share of manga scanlations), and I’m not saying that other companies at the time didn’t have their share of translation issues, but Working Designs’s localizations are so far beyond something like what Woolsey was doing in changing the tone and script of the games that it’s embarrassing. Generally translators try to either be accurate to the original text or faithful to the author’s intentions. WD often did neither. There can be some merit to this practice if it makes the script more engaging (I enjoy the Digimon Adventure and 02 dubs, in spite of them taking similarly massive liberties with the script), but WD translations often seriously alter the tone of the script—inserting condom jokes into Magic Knight Rayearth? Renaming a character in Alundra “boner”? Sex jokes pretty much everywhere? I’m not a prude, I don’t care if an author wants to do this, but you have to see how a translator doing this would significantly alter the way someone playing in English would experience a game compared to in the original Japanese. To me, as a translator myself, this is a problem.

And this isn’t WD’s biggest problem—if it were, I honestly wouldn’t care that much about them. The fact that they almost always monkeyed around in the code to try to make their games harder is the biggest problem I have with them. No, that’s not even true, lots of companies in the 4th generation were doing that, theoretically to combat the rental industry. The biggest problem is how over the top WD went—many of their localized RPGs went from fairly typical experiences, in terms of the need for grinding at least, to massive grindfests. Silhouette Mirage was changed from an interesting, well-balanced action game offering some flexibility in how you play the game to a tedious slog forcing you to farm resources at every opportunity and removing most of that flexibility. Exile 2 is famously essentially broken due to heavy handed, poorly considered coding changes—read the Cutting Room Floor article on the game for some insight on that mess. These are just a couple of egregious examples, but until around 1997 or so, pretty nearly every Working Designs game featured significant alterations to game balance, very often along the lines of, if not always as extreme as, the examples above.

I’m not saying they’re the worst localization company ever, but they’re responsible for some grade A bullshit, and while I respect some of what they were doing, I don’t think there’s any reason to put them on a pedestal short of nostalgia blinders.

Wario64 going crazy on Twitter gamestop got bunch of games at $5 and $10, yesterday bestbuy was doing clearnace deals bruh. Put CAG and SD to shame

Linkin Park was my gateway to rock when I was in junior high. Before that it was all pop, boy bands, eurodance, and my mom's A Tribe Called Quest and Jamiroquai albums (those albums remain amazing today, though). I still love their music (well, all the stuff before they started soundtracking Transformers movies).
It's weird to read a sentence where A Tribe Called Quest and Jamiroquai are referred to as "mom music." :oldman:

86c39461-5180-4be3-9b8c-6061967f96f1_text.gif

It's weird to read a sentence where A Tribe Called Quest and Jamiroquai are referred to as "mom music." :oldman:
I know, time is flying by. That stuff still sounds fresh to me today!

I chuckled at that. When I was a kid my mom listened to Billy Ray Cyrus lol.
My mom listened to so much rap when I was little and got me into it. She'd drop me off at kindergarten blasting Tribe's song "Oh My God." She was unique lol

Hey, I was in junior high! And attending a Christian school! Options were limited lol

I know, time is flying by. That stuff still sounds fresh to me today!

My mom listened to so much rap when I was little and got me into it. She'd drop me off at kindergarten blasting Tribe's song "Oh My God." She was unique lol

Hey, I was in junior high! And attending a Christian school! Options were limited lol
I would love to hear Billy Ray Cyrus cover "Oh My God." :shock:

Looks like Sony may have restored the cap on upgrade fees for PS Plus tiers. After the price increase, it said it would cost $133 to upgrade from Extra to Premium through the end of my sub in May 2025. Right now, both mobile and the website say it's $39.

If that's accurate, I'll probably upgrade just to get All-of-the-Things before I totally cancel in two years.

No streaming on Android or the PS Portal for cloud games is very dumb, though.

Looks like Sony may have restored the cap on upgrade fees for PS Plus tiers. After the price increase, it said it would cost $133 to upgrade from Extra to Premium through the end of my sub in May 2025. Right now, both mobile and the website say it's $39.

If that's accurate, I'll probably upgrade just to get All-of-the-Things before I totally cancel in two years.

No streaming on Android or the PS Portal for cloud games is very dumb, though.
What is the cap when I look to upgrade it is like 256?

What is the cap when I look to upgrade it is like 256?
How many years are you booked for? It's prorated but it isn't capped, it seems (which it previously was).

PS Extra is $135 annually, Premium is $160. For me, $39 makes sense ($25 for a year and $14 for the partial year).

Essential is $80, so upgrading from Essential to Premium would be an extra $80 per year but prorated for whatever time is already passed.

Basically, if you have the Essential plan and are looking at the Premium upgrade, $256 / $80 is 3.2, which would make sense if you had 3 years of essential stacked on your account.

bread's done
Back