Playstation Deals, PS Plus games, and Discussion

psunami

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Thanks to Frisky for all of the hard work that he put in for the previous deals threads!

Feel free to post here about the newest Playstation deals, PS Plus games, and discussions about the previously mentioned items.

Official PlayStation™Store US

March 2024 games (available on March 5th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog

March 2024 games (available on March 19th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog
PlayStation Premium | Classics

Last edited:
Ehhh, from what I’ve heard, they’re a little less than ideal. Lots of little changes to gameplay, the graphical touch ups are a mixed bag (the FFVI character sprites in particular lost a lot of detail), excluding quite a bit of content that’s been added to these games in various releases over the years (to be fair, not all of it good), etc.

They sound like fine versions to pick up if you’ve never played these games before and/or really want to play them on modern consoles, but if you already own previous versions, these are probably at best a sidegrade, not an upgrade. The best experience you can have with these today is generally going to be with various fan-made romhacks applied to the original versions or earlier remakes.

You know... I was just thinking that Sony would do this. They clearly have to being seeing how the NS is killing it and the NS2 will likely keep killing it. And Portal was likely a nice surprise for them (though I'm sure the scalpers made it more beneficial than it prob actually was).

Oh snap, can't wait. I remember being insanely hyped for Remake and then playing the demo and still being blown away. I doubt Rebirth will be as impactful but I'm still crazy excited to see how it plays out.

You know... I was just thinking that Sony would do this. They clearly have to being seeing how the NS is killing it and the NS2 will likely keep killing it. And Portal was likely a nice surprise for them (though I'm sure the scalpers made it more beneficial than it prob actually was).

Oh snap, can't wait. I remember being insanely hyped for Remake and then playing the demo and still being blown away. I doubt Rebirth will be as impactful but I'm still crazy excited to see how it plays out.
I don't believe Sony would get back into handhelds given their disdain for them and Nintendo dropping out of the handheld market.

Granted if Sony didn't f it up like they love to do and priced them low they could do extremely well. Even more so if they made a partnership of sorts to get google play/ios. or steam/pc on it if they wanted to cross compete.

But yeah they could capitalize on the vacant market if nothing else. As while you can use switch as a portable it's no ds or anything.

Last edited:
If Sony’s legitimately thinking of getting back into the portable market, it’s due to the success of the Switch and handheld gaming PCs like the Steam Deck, so a future Sony portable is going to be a hybrid like them. Like 90% certain on that.

A current era Sony portable would need a few things for me to care:
Prioritize portability over power. Smaller form factor and longer battery life than something like the Switch is absolutely necessary for me to care. If that means it’s less powerful than the Switch 2, so be it, you’ll already have a more powerful home console for people who want that.
Non-proprietary storage: You lost the storage format wars, Sony, just give in and let us use SD cards. Proprietary memory formats decrease accessibility, increase consumer cost, don’t stop piracy, and significantly hamper longterm use.
Don’t try to make it a phone or tablet. It doesn’t need to be a “mobile device,” and you will lose if you try to compete in that market. It happened with the Vita, it’ll happen again.
PS2 Classics. No subscriptions, just let us buy and play PS2 games on the go like the PSP and Vita could play PS1 games. You can already emulate PS2 on the Steam Deck, so don’t think you can charge tons of money or subscription fees for this kind of service, but you’ll build up interest and good will if you have something like that at budget pricing available.

Note: This isn’t a list of what I expect, just what would make me give a crap,

If Sony’s legitimately thinking of getting back into the portable market, it’s due to the success of the Switch and handheld gaming PCs like the Steam Deck, so a future Sony portable is going to be a hybrid like them. Like 90% certain on that.

A current era Sony portable would need a few things for me to care:
Prioritize portability over power. Smaller form factor and longer battery life than something like the Switch is absolutely necessary for me to care. If that means it’s less powerful than the Switch 2, so be it, you’ll already have a more powerful home console for people who want that.
Non-proprietary storage: You lost the storage format wars, Sony, just give in and let us use SD cards. Proprietary memory formats decrease accessibility, increase consumer cost, don’t stop piracy, and significantly hamper longterm use.
Don’t try to make it a phone or tablet. It doesn’t need to be a “mobile device,” and you will lose if you try to compete in that market. It happened with the Vita, it’ll happen again.
PS2 Classics. No subscriptions, just let us buy and play PS2 games on the go like the PSP and Vita could play PS1 games. You can already emulate PS2 on the Steam Deck, so don’t think you can charge tons of money or subscription fees for this kind of service, but you’ll build up interest and good will if you have something like that at budget pricing available.

Note: This isn’t a list of what I expect, just what would make me give a crap,

There is a next to 0% chance Sony releases a handheld with it's own exclusive games. Sony has failed to support the Vita and PSVR I just can't see them going down that road again. I imagine it will be more of a digital only handheld PS4/PS5.

Sony isn't going to release another independent handheld console any time soon, if ever again. They abandoned the Vita the second it began to flounder and never looked back, and I don't think they want to compete with Nintendo, Steam Deck, and mobile. I'd love a Vita 2, but it's never going to happen.

Sony announced they were discontinuing support for the Vita like a few months after its mainstream release or something. The PS4 came out, and they were like "alright, forget Vita." I think it was because they could only charge $40 for games so there wasn't enough profit, and consumers were hesitating to buy them. Then the big publishers started dropping out. But it all happened just months after the thing became more readily available at retail. It was the weirdest thing ever.

Last time I was this excited for a demo was when the MGS2 demo disc was released with Zone of the Enders.

Sony announced they were discontinuing support for the Vita like a few months after its mainstream release or something. The PS4 came out, and they were like "alright, forget Vita." I think it was because they could only charge $40 for games so there wasn't enough profit, and consumers were hesitating to buy them. Then the big publishers started dropping out. But it all happened just months after the thing became more readily available at retail. It was the weirdest thing ever.
Proprietary expensive storage was also a huge problem for the vita

Proprietary expensive storage was also a huge problem for the vita
That plus them not even releasing the larger cards outside jpn and its high failure rate for said cards. Plus they were just paltry. If it used ps1 sized games then it would be fine. Even a few ps2 sized ones not named .hack or jak and Daxter would be doable presumably. But the games on it took too much space.

The fact that thry still provide updates to the vita and TV specifically because of people finding work arounds to that problem is just idiotic.

The Vita is unanimously considered to have failed due to Sony's proprietary bullcrap. The charger/cables, the memory cards, and just overall funkiness in getting stuff to work was annoying. I hated the UI, wish it had XMB like the PSP.

But it had Bluetooth audio. The Switch just barely has it now and I hear it's crappy.

A new Vita that fixes all the old things would be great. I highly suspect it might be digital only, though. I wonder if it would be proprietary OS or use Android?

The Vita is unanimously considered to have failed due to Sony's proprietary bullcrap. The charger/cables, the memory cards, and just overall funkiness in getting stuff to work was annoying. I hated the UI, wish it had XMB like the PSP.

But it had Bluetooth audio. The Switch just barely has it now and I hear it's crappy.

A new Vita that fixes all the old things would be great. I highly suspect it might be digital only, though. I wonder if it would be proprietary OS or use Android?
They almost had it right with the PS Portal. If only they made it capable of storing games and playing your digital library instead of being tethered to the console to stream only. Maybe the success (based on the difficulty for normal people to buy it online) of the PS Portal will encourage Sony to make a Vita 2. I don't think anyone is expecting the Vita 2 to play discs/cartridges so this device is going to give people more incentive to purchase games digitally on PSN similar to how the SteamDeck provides more incentive to purchase on Steam.

They almost had it right with the PS Portal. If only they made it capable of storing games and playing your digital library instead of being tethered to the console to stream only. Maybe the success (based on the difficulty for normal people to buy it online) of the PS Portal will encourage Sony to make a Vita 2. I don't think anyone is expecting the Vita 2 to play discs/cartridges so this device is going to give people more incentive to purchase games digitally on PSN similar to how the SteamDeck provides more incentive to purchase on Steam.
In order to do that the Portal would have cost 2-3x as much. Getting it at $199 was a pretty calculated move.

I didn't like the randomly generated planets and reused assets. Thought they should have focused on making 6-8 unique memorable planets. The game also has a lot of load time and even with SSD it was a pain and noticeable.

Last edited:
When games like Spider-Man 2 cost over $315m to make & market and most consoles pretty much got the same PC-style x86/x64 type of architectures (from AMD) - yeah, companies need to hit as many markets as possible in the AAA to AAAA space, if need be.

It's why you see Sony porting their "Timed-exclusive" stuff to PC later and also why Microsoft will be porting stuff to PS5 & who knows where-else (Switch maybe?). Microsoft finally got back to porting their once "Exclusive" stuff (from their Microsoft Xbox App PC Store) to Steam on PC - and been rolling in even more $ since.

When one well dries up, try another to make $ from.

Companies can't have games like Redfall bombing & flopping, you know?

Next wars probably won't be consoles entirely - but actually services, like we see on PC (Epic, Steam, Microsoft Xbox Store, etc). Wouldn't surprise me to see PSN on PC too - b/c gotta make $, you know?

Valve with Steam knows - as they got the Steam-Deck, to keep players on their on Steam service and to attack Switch hand-held market.

Last edited:
Honestly I doubt there's anything that can be done at this point to compete with steam.
I agree with you, and if Xbox formally confirms the leaks, I think it’ll push even more people to PC in general. There’s Steam, handhelds, better performance, not paying for multiplayer monthly, etc. My Surface Pro died last year so I replaced it with a gaming laptop, and I find myself moving more in that direction.

I also wonder how many Xbox console gamers bought digital editions of Microsoft-published 1st-party games - IIRC, some of those bought digitally, for buying that digital edition, you get them on both Xbox console AND for Xbox for PC (i.e. Xbox Play Anywhere). I could see some hardcore Xbox-console gamers just taking that library and transferring over to PC, basically.

I'd glad I'll get to give Starfield a shot without having to get another system. I was put off by some of the negatives after the game came out, but I think I'd still try it at some point. I'm more excited for Hi-Fi Rush coming at some point but better access for more games is a plus.

I am about 95% done with my first playthrough of Starfield. It has typical Bethesda jank (save often in multiple slots in case you encounter game/quest-breaking bugs) but gets better once you find good weapons/ships. I did about a quarter of the main quest then did all the faction quests and most of the sidequests before returning to the main quest line. They do have some repetitive tasks tied to some important abilities but I think all AAA games have these nowadays.

I would rate it similarly to Fallout 4 from my experience.

Word is Indiana Jones is as well. Expect every big MS title to be on PS5. Makes sense. If you can’t beat them, join them. Let the money roll in.
More like an exit from the hardware side is likely coming. MS is still a software company and has never liked having the console around, only revenue from subs. While sad, I can't disagree with the logic as they push HARD into digital and GamePass. However, this only works if Sony were to play ball because MS would be looking to piggyback off the PS console for userbase. I could see Sony becoming too greedy and fucking it up for themselves down the line, but a mutual partnership would be insanely lucrative for both sides. All speculative but I think it's something MS has been wanting to do for years now and Sony has been the holdup.

But now there's leverage with COD being beyond their under the table deals and on a 10 year ticking clock. Well played.

There's a new trailer on the PS5 dashboard for the FF7 Reunion demo. It says it's available now, but I wasn't able to find it after searching, so this video probably went up a little too early and was meant for the State of Play tomorrow. The description says "Play the beginning of the game as Cloud or Sephiroth in the Nibelheim episode."

New PS5 firmware beta with a few new features:

Let’s jump in to the newly added features:

DualSense wireless controller built-in mic and speaker audio enhancements

We’ve updated the device software of the DualSense and DualSense Edge wireless controllers to improve their sound features.
  • Controller speaker enhancements. The controller speakers can now produce higher volume sound, allowing you to hear in-game sounds and voice chat audio more clearly.
  • Improved noise cancellation. The mic input quality on these controllers has been improved, courtesy of a new AI machine learning model. Background noise from button presses and game audio are suppressed, resulting in a better voice chat experience. Install the system software beta and update the controller device software to enjoy enhanced clarity of your voice chat audio when using the controller mic.
  • With this update, you may feel that the sounds coming from your controller speaker may sound louder. You can adjust the controller speaker volume from the control center.

Share Screen Interactions

Players watching Share Screen in full screen mode can now use pointers and emoji reactions to interact with the host’s gameplay.
  • Viewers can move a pointer around, send a ping or draw a line on the shared screen, allowing them to highlight certain objects or areas to guide the host player more accurately.
  • Viewers can send emoji-based reactions to the host’s screen to visually encourage and celebrate gameplay actions.
  • Note: this feature is available by default but can be turned off by the host in the Share Screen settings. Both the host and the viewer must be participating in the beta to use this feature during the beta period.

Adjust Brightness of PS5 Power Indicator

You can now adjust the brightness of your PS5 console’s power indicator.
  • Go to [Settings] > [System] > [Beep and Light], and then select [Brightness].

With this update, you may feel that the sounds coming from your controller speaker may sound louder. You can adjust the controller speaker volume from the control center.
I'm glad you can adjust it. Usually, I find it too loud as it is, but I wonder if there are certain games where that isn't the case.

I have no idea what kind of game Rollerdrome is or whether it's any good.
But I always think about buying it because of how great the artwork is on the PSN webpage.

But I always think about buying it because of how great the artwork is on the PSN webpage.
Rollerdrome is excellent. I bought it at launch. Very fun combination of skating and shooting. Doesn’t seem like it would work as well as it does, but it really is fun. Takes some getting used to the mechanics but I loved it.

It's a third-person arena shooter where you're on rollerblades to grind, jump, or wallride around almost like a Jet Set Radio. It's a great game.

The FFVII Rebirth State of Play will start in a few minutes:

Edit: The demo will be out tonight. Link Here.

Probably a lot of spoilers for areas and such that are in the game, but they have a ton of side stuff to do that shouldn't get locked out for progressing the main quest. Lots of dialog choices that can affect party members' view of Cloud that can affect some of the side stuff, like going on dates at the Golden Saucer. There are over 400 music tracks in the game.

Last edited:
The demo will get a second part in an update on 2/21:

After players complete the “Fall of a Hero in Nibelheim” content, the demo will receive an update on February 21, opening another playable section entitled “Dawn of a New Era in Junon.” In this special preview made specifically for the demo, explore a small piece of the massive in-game world around the harbor town of Junon. The Junon area featured in this demo has been altered to make the content more compact, so progress cannot be carried over to the full game. However, fans and newcomers will get a chance to experience new forms of exploration, new synergy attacks and the powerful character bonds expressed through thrilling combat.

Players with save data from the demo will receive the Kupo Charm and Survival Set in the full game. These players will also be able to skip past sections covered in the “Fall of a Hero in Nibelheim” demo. Players must ensure their game is fully updated to take advantage of these benefits.

Since I had just gone back to finish up the Intergrade content to FF7 Remake, I found the FF7 Rebirth demo to be quite enjoyable.

Just wishing I hadn't missed the steelbook pre-order at Best Buy now. Oh, well.

bread's done
Back