Playstation Move - Worth It At This Point?

Luriden

CAGiversary!
Feedback
694 (100%)
We were having a game trade-in special where I work, so I traded in a few old 360 games I had for store credit and picked up a Playstation Move bundle with the motion wand, camera, and Sports Champions for $35 total. I needed a new webcam for my desktop PC, which is connected to the same TV as my game consoles, so it's convenient having a webcam right there to just swap out and plug into my PC. I also wanted to try out the Move.

First impressions: Loaded up Auditorium. "How do I get this to work?" After fiddling with it for 15 minutes, I gave up. Came back an hour later, sill no luck. It can't track my hand for crap. Even after calibrating it, I have to raise my hand all the way up in the air just for it to go halfway up my screen, even though I'm properly centered.

I loaded up Resistance 3 and it tracks my hand movement pretty well. I was able to have my hand down at my side and barely move my wrist to play it, which is nice. It was pretty cool, I had fun. Then I went back to the controller in order to actually succeed in the game.

I have yet to try anything else. I could have sworn the old PS Store had a special section dedicated to Move games, but now I'm trying to hunt them all down and it's a pain. I haven't tried Sports Champions. I'm downloading Sackboy's Prehistoric Moves now. Is there a "Move seller" game that I'm missing out on besides Killzone 3 and Resistance 3? Are there any decent games coming out for it still or has everyone sold theirs by now and moved on, and I'm just too late on the bandwagon?

If I decide I don't want it, I can return it any time for a full store credit refund, it's another benefit of working where I work. There's just really no other big titles out that I want right now, nor coming out any time soon, that I would want to use the store credit for.

[quote name='Luriden']We were having a game trade-in special where I work, so I traded in a few old 360 games I had for store credit and picked up a Playstation Move bundle with the motion wand, camera, and Sports Champions for $35 total. I needed a new webcam for my desktop PC, which is connected to the same TV as my game consoles, so it's convenient having a webcam right there to just swap out and plug into my PC. I also wanted to try out the Move.

First impressions: Loaded up Auditorium. "How do I get this to work?" After fiddling with it for 15 minutes, I gave up. Came back an hour later, sill no luck. It can't track my hand for crap. Even after calibrating it, I have to raise my hand all the way up in the air just for it to go halfway up my screen, even though I'm properly centered.

I loaded up Resistance 3 and it tracks my hand movement pretty well. I was able to have my hand down at my side and barely move my wrist to play it, which is nice. It was pretty cool, I had fun. Then I went back to the controller in order to actually succeed in the game.

I have yet to try anything else. I could have sworn the old PS Store had a special section dedicated to Move games, but now I'm trying to hunt them all down and it's a pain. I haven't tried Sports Champions. I'm downloading Sackboy's Prehistoric Moves now. Is there a "Move seller" game that I'm missing out on besides Killzone 3 and Resistance 3? Are there any decent games coming out for it still or has everyone sold theirs by now and moved on, and I'm just too late on the bandwagon?

If I decide I don't want it, I can return it any time for a full store credit refund, it's another benefit of working where I work. There's just really no other big titles out that I want right now, nor coming out any time soon, that I would want to use the store credit for.[/QUOTE]

I'm a big Sony supporter but the move just isn't practical. I had a lot of fun playing through RE5 Gold Edition (Co-Op with my girlfriend) using the motion and navigation controllers but their just aren't enough solid titles out or support from Sony for me to recommend anyone purchase the hardware unless they get it for dirty cheap

Overall, I'd say no, especially if you mainly play single player games.

On the other hand, it's great if you have non-gamer friends or family members who you'd want to play it with-- people who would enjoy casual games. My ex-girlfriend-- who refused to play pretty much any multiplayer game with me-- loved Carnival Island, and her mom even joined us in a few games when I would bring it over. It's great for that "gather the family around the TV for a night of Wii Sports" type of entertainment (and I'd say it's a big step up from the Wii in that regard), but not much else.

Disclaimer: I haven't tried any of the light gun games (Time Crisis, etc.), so maybe that genre would actually be a good fit for the Move, but I dunno. Oh, and keep an eye out for deals on the controllers if you decide to keep it: Gamestop has sold the Move and navigation controllers, new, for 50% off a couple of times in the past. The controllers are otherwise very expensive on their own.

I have only used it on a handful of games:

-Sports Champions: Works well because it was made specifically for the Move

-Heavy Rain: It works, I started using it after I went through the game with a controller. I preferred the controller but the game is easily playable with the Move

-High Velocity Bowling: It works in the sense you move your arm back then forward to throw the ball. Adding any type of spin to the ball is hard and usually doesn't work right.

-Tumble: Only played the demo, but since it was designed for the move it works like it's supposed to.

Basically it comes down to this:

-If the game was made to utilize the Move, more often than not it will work fine and you'll have no problems

-If the game supports the Move or normal controls, and/or Move functionality was patched in later you're better off just using the dualshock.

House of the dead series especially Overkill is great fun with the move, also if u can hunt down a copy of time crisis. There is also a move DLC pack for little big planet 2 that is worth your wild if u like lbp .

[quote name='vic_x51']House of the dead series especially Overkill is great fun with the move, also if u can hunt down a copy of time crisis. There is also a move DLC pack for little big planet 2 that is worth your wild if u like lbp .[/QUOTE]

This. House of the Dead Overkill, Time Crisis Razing Storm, and my personal favorite Dead Space Extraction are all excellent games to use the move with.

Once the RE Darkside and Umbrella Chronicles games go on sale on PSN I'm planning on picking those up as well since like Dead Space Extraction and HOTD Overkill, I liked those on the Wii.

Sport Champions 1 and 2 are ok, basically Wii Sports with better graphics and tighter motion controls.

Tiger Woods is alright with the move, but much easier with a regular dual shock.

The problem is I already have the House of the Dead games and Dead Space Extraction on the Wii. I play local multiplayer every once in awhile, but not enough to keep the Move AND buy more controllers. And even though there's so many Move-compatible single player games already, I feel handicapped when I try to play those with Move rather than the Dual Shock, especially when I play online. I'll be taking it back, and leaving motion control to the Wii. The technology isn't much better, if any, than the Wii from what I noticed anyway. I expected it to be leaps and bounds more advanced since it came out long afterward, but it's exactly what it looks like, a Wii controller for PS3.

bread's done
Back