Playstation Network Summer Sale. (Expires 8-9-2010)

Rouzhokuu

CAGiversary!
Feedback
34 (100%)
-PS3

Fat Princess – $7.49 sale; $14.99 reg.
PixelJunk Shooter – $4.99 sale; $9.99 reg.
Groovin’ Blocks – $4.99 sale; $9.99 reg.
Madden NFL Arcade – $7.49 sale; $14.99 reg.
Wakeboarding HD – $7.49 sale; $14.99 reg.

-PSP

The Eye of Judgment Legends – $14.99 sale; $29.99 reg.
echoshift – $7.49 sale; $14.99 reg.
Patchwork Heroes – $4.99 sale; $9.99 reg.
Grand Theft Auto Chinatown Wars – $14.99 sale; $29.99 reg.
Lunar Silver Star Harmony – $14.99 sale; $29.99 reg.

-minis

Tetris – $4.99 sale; $9.99 reg.
Dracula Undead Awakenings – $2.49 sale; $4.99 reg.
Monsters Probably Stole My Princess – $2.49 sale; $4.99 reg.
Zombie Tycoon – $2.49 sale; $4.99 reg.
Bloons – $1.49 sale; $2.99 reg.

Expires Monday, August 9, 2010.

Put those discounted PSN cards to work!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010...t-princess-pixeljunk-chinatown-wars-and-more/

[quote name='cheko']um...k..whatever...all those games suck in comparison to xbla exclusive games and i would buy third party games that are ,released on both consoles, on the ps3 except..o yea thats right, xbla gets them a month first ahead of time .... you ps3 fanboys can save it ...tell Sony to stop the "wii wannabe" crap and get on board with hardcore gamers.[/QUOTE]

I rarely see this level of retardation on CAG, just wow.

[quote name='cheko']hey man i was just stating that i want more to buy and if u look at my first post i thanked the op for his post ...im just responding to people coming at me with nonsense ... i am a ps3 fan im just pissed there isnt more to offer .... and im sure im not the only ,people should get on board so there can be a change done instead of complain about me stating the obvious. your right, it is a waste of time so im ending this.[/QUOTE]

i apreciate that man. i can understand being furstrated that theres not more you want hell i go crazy over how sony is stingy with ps1 titles but who knows in enough time maybe we'll all find more that we can enjoy. damn i want to get pixle junk shooter already.

[quote name='Rollobobo']What is this MAKATO thing people have been mentioning in this thread? Isn't that a Street Fighter character?!? Just wanted to know if I was missing something here?[/QUOTE]

Makoto's a DLC character for BlazBlue CS. That's the only thing I can think of.

[quote name='NamPaehc']This is only the 1st week right? Or am I behind lol.[/QUOTE]
This is only the first week ;)

[quote name='NamPaehc']This is only the 1st week right? Or am I behind lol.[/QUOTE]
Unless I missed something in the blog post, this is the only week for this special sale.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='lokizz']i have to say im curious too a few people have mentioned wanting it so now i have to check it out on youtube. did the same or the tetris mini and that game where youre cutting apart ships. looks like im gonna need another psn card lol.[/QUOTE]
Which one is the game where you're cutting apart ships? I may as well buy that too lol.

[quote name='PublikDefender']Which one is the game where you're cutting apart ships? I may as well buy that too lol.[/QUOTE]

patchwork heroes from the video i saw of it on youtube it looks fun its a psp game.

[quote name='kdoublec']pixeljunk shooter is still 9.99 for me.[/QUOTE]
The sale doesn't begin until the update happens tomorrow afternoon/evening.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Hmm that is weird. I thought it was a few different waves of sales over a couple weeks.[/QUOTE]

It's never been like that for a Sony sponsored PSN sale. They've always been 1 week.

[quote name='sotc1988']Is Pixeljunk shooter worth it? I was disappointed by Eden.[/QUOTE]

Shooter would be worth it for $10, a must buy at $5!

[quote name='PublikDefender']Which one is the game where you're cutting apart ships? I may as well buy that too lol.[/QUOTE]
Patchwork Heroes, fun for short sessions. A bit monotonous after awhile, but worth playing just for its sense of style.

Also, PixelJunk Shooter is awesome. Not a fan of Racers or Eden, but Monsters and Shooter are good. There is a sequel to Shooter in the works, too.

[quote name='mtxbass1']It's never been like that for a Sony sponsored PSN sale. They've always been 1 week.[/QUOTE]

No, most people are getting confused because the Spring Fever sale was over a period of 8 weeks I think.

It's only happened once but it happened during the last sale PSN had sooo that's why everyone's confused.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']No, most people are getting confused because the Spring Fever sale was over a period of 8 weeks I think.

It's only happened once but it happened during the last sale PSN had sooo that's why everyone's confused.[/QUOTE]
That spring fever "sale" was different than the standard quarterly sales they've had for the past 2 years...

[quote name='cheko']um...k..whatever...all those games suck in comparison to xbla exclusive games and i would buy third party games that are ,released on both consoles, on the ps3 except..o yea thats right, xbla gets them a month first ahead of time .... you ps3 fanboys can save it ...tell Sony to stop the "wii wannabe" crap and get on board with hardcore gamers.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Cheko...I finally see the light. As soon as I get home I am going to get rid of my PS3 and go buy a 360. After that, I will get started on that letter to Sony about ignoring hardcore gamers. This injustice must be stopped!!! I cant believe I have been blind for so long. I am going to have to rememeber your name for the CAG Awards. BEST COMMENTER EVER.

Anyways, thanks for the post OP, although my wallet and girlfriend officially hate you. Im in for LSSH and maybe EoJ or GTA. I think it all depends on whether I want to pick up Valkyria II later this month. At least I have a week to think it over.

Thanks for the post OP =). Definitely going to pick up Fat Princess and PixelJunk Shooter. Due to limited funding this will actually be my first PixelJunk game so I'm pretty excited for it.

As for everyone hating on cheko, it seems like despite his somewhat defensive phrasing in replies he's just really asking for PSN to get more games sooner.

Besides that though, remember that Microsoft pays for these games to gain exclusive rights to stuff first, but in exchange you're paying Microsoft. They take YOUR money to provide their service after which they exchange some of it to get these games sooner - also making their console a bit more attractive to some gamers.

I'm not saying it's bad or good either way, but just know that although Microsoft does bring you some games sooner, you're also the one paying for it. I know it's a negligible fee to some, but it's not to others. Whether it's worth it to you or not is your own decision but to some of us we appreciate the fact that Sony's offering a free online service, and waiting a month to grab a game isn't that big a deal in light of that fact. It's just a tradeoff and I understand you'd rather have Sony offer these games first/faster and it's a big deal to you, but to some of us we'd rather just take free online play with a somewhat longer wait for some games.

[quote name='eyun23']Thanks for the post OP =). Definitely going to pick up Fat Princess and PixelJunk Shooter. Due to limited funding this will actually be my first PixelJunk game so I'm pretty excited for it.

As for everyone hating on cheko, it seems like despite his somewhat defensive phrasing in replies he's just really asking for PSN to get more games sooner.

Besides that though, remember that Microsoft pays for these games to gain exclusive rights to stuff first, but in exchange you're paying Microsoft. They take YOUR money to provide their service after which they exchange some of it to get these games sooner - also making their console a bit more attractive to some gamers.

I'm not saying it's bad or good either way, but just know that although Microsoft does bring you some games sooner, you're also the one paying for it. I know it's a negligible fee to some, but it's not to others. Whether it's worth it to you or not is your own decision but to some of us we appreciate the fact that Sony's offering a free online service, and waiting a month to grab a game isn't that big a deal in light of that fact. It's just a tradeoff and I understand you'd rather have Sony offer these games first/faster and it's a big deal to you, but to some of us we'd rather just take free online play with a somewhat longer wait for some games.[/QUOTE]

O I C, that's fair & Makes sense as well. Personally I would pay 50 bucks to bring it up to speed with XBLA, that is what i was hoping what "PLUS" was going to be but sadly disappointed again.Well, good thing i own all consoles so, ill just get stuff as i can for each. Again Thanx for the post OP.

[quote name='eyun23']
[/QUOTE]

You do realize you can buy XBLA games without a Gold membership. :roll:

Anyone know if Amazon usually pricematches these official sales? I mean the game-specific codes they sell. e.g. They sell Fat Princess and PixelJunk shooter codes -- are these going to drop on their site? I think I recall Flower dropping on their site during the Spring sale, but I might be wrong. Anyone recall?

[quote name='madcatz1999']Anyone know if Amazon usually pricematches these official sales? I mean the game-specific codes they sell. e.g. They sell Fat Princess and PixelJunk shooter codes -- are these going to drop on their site? I think I recall Flower dropping on their site during the Spring sale, but I might be wrong. Anyone recall?[/QUOTE]

Yes, Amazon usually matches PSN sales.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']:lol: XBLA and PSN have both gotten a ton of great games in the past two years, so I don't see the need for either side to complain unless you're a picky gamer. Just looking at the games I own, I've got 28 PSN exclusives and 22 XBLA exclusives since July 30, which I'd also add that I bought less on XBLA due to the odd amounts of points MS offered for adding points to my account on the dashboard. And still, these are platforms that are full of multiplatform games and I could still average a good exclusive game a month on both services over the past two years.

Your second point confuses quantity for quality and that is hurting the marketplace as developers have a much harder time getting decent sales because there's little marketing for each game unless you're in a huge promotion like Summer of Arcade, have some or are attached to a big IP. I'm not saying that the PSN release schedule is better, but a regular schedule with two or three games a week doesn't mean anything other than there are more games of varying qualities that isn't proof of anything.

Unless I missed something in the blog post, this is the only week for this special sale.[/QUOTE]

I have both systems as well (as I know you understand but just clarifying for others) but I just think PSN gets the short end of the stick. The last big exclusive PSN got was what Joe Danger and the Ludia game show ports? Whereas all the at least semi-exclusives on 360 this year alone would make me upset if I was a PS3 only owner.

The promotion thing is an issue that Microsoft tried to fix with that app (and screwed up) but is it really that much better promotion on PS3? I would call Major Nelson's blog/podcast and the PlayStation blog a push, but Microsoft has ads all over the interface for different downloadable items/games, but you have to actually click the Playstation Store to see anything going on there.

I think everyone is struggling with how to sell digital games because there are a lot of barriers to get past.

While we on boards/blogs are the minority of gamers on the consoles, the majority don't download this stuff because they either don't have broadband, don't understand how to do it, don't know about downloadable games, or refuse to download games.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Why am I not seeing these sale prices on the PS Store on my PS3? Sorry to be a dunce, but where is this deal located exactly?[/QUOTE]

just wait for the official playstation blog to post up an article, usually late evening, detailing the PSN store update..sale should be live then. No point really in checking before b/c they never let it slip thru the cracks..

[quote name='madcatz1999']Anyone know if Amazon usually pricematches these official sales? I mean the game-specific codes they sell. e.g. They sell Fat Princess and PixelJunk shooter codes -- are these going to drop on their site? I think I recall Flower dropping on their site during the Spring sale, but I might be wrong. Anyone recall?[/QUOTE]

When they did their last sale (the one with Ratchet and Clank, not sure if that was the Spring Sale or not), Amazon did not price match. So it happens only sometimes I guess...

[quote name='MSUHitman']? Whereas all the at least semi-exclusives on 360 this year alone would make me upset if I was a PS3 only owner..[/QUOTE]

Can you elaborate on what titles you're referring to. I personally feel PSN exclusives are better than what's on XBLA, but both have great libraries. I'm not seeing how PSN is lacking this year though compared to XBLA, there's been a lot of solid releases: Tales of Monkey Island, Sam and Max The Devil's Playhouse, Lead and Gold, Joe Danger, Blue Toad Murder Files, etc...

Limbo and Castlevania would probably be high on the list MSU was referencing.

EDIT: Removed the rest of my comments because it simply adds to the thread going further off-topic.

[quote name='Izod517']Limbo and Castlevania would probably be high on the list MSU was referencing.

EDIT: Removed the rest of my comments because it simply adds to the thread going further off-topic.[/QUOTE]

Yes, Limbo is probably the most stand out title so far for XBLA this year I'd say. Castlevania hasn't been released yet from what I can see (August 4th) but has a 67 so far on metacritic.. I'm looking at the list of 2010 XBLA titles, and while there are certainly more, roughly half of them have a score below 70 on metacritic. I personally don't feel like I'm getting the short stick of anything on the PS3 as I value quality over quantity. That's all I'll say on the matter too.

[quote name='MSUHitman']I have both systems as well (as I know you understand but just clarifying for others) but I just think PSN gets the short end of the stick. The last big exclusive PSN got was what Joe Danger and the Ludia game show ports? Whereas all the at least semi-exclusives on 360 this year alone would make me upset if I was a PS3 only owner.

The promotion thing is an issue that Microsoft tried to fix with that app (and screwed up) but is it really that much better promotion on PS3? I would call Major Nelson's blog/podcast and the PlayStation blog a push, but Microsoft has ads all over the interface for different downloadable items/games, but you have to actually click the Playstation Store to see anything going on there.

I think everyone is struggling with how to sell digital games because there are a lot of barriers to get past.

While we on boards/blogs are the minority of gamers on the consoles, the majority don't download this stuff because they either don't have broadband, don't understand how to do it, don't know about downloadable games, or refuse to download games.[/QUOTE]
That's right, keep changing the goal posts until you can find a way to skew the numbers in your favor. Looking at what I've purchased, it's four for PSN and five for XBLA this year. So it's still pretty much the same. Lately there has been Joe Danger, Gundemonium Collection, Catan (not a port of the XBLA version), Lead and Gold, Soldner-X 2, and Tales of Monkey Island for notable exclusives.

Destination Arcade is a non-attempt because it's not available to download after Summer of Arcade is over, so anybody that's getting the system for the first time later this year can't use the app that could've been the best thing to help them find the best games. The bigger issue is the lack of price drops on XBLA, as a number of these games could have gotten a second wind by being dropped to $5 or $10 and it would help them in the long run. For example, to get the first and second episodes of the Penny Arcade Adventures series, it's $10 on Steam, $15 on PSN, and $35 on XBLA.

Major Nelson's blog doesn't really have any blog posts, it's just podcast links and formal press releases for stuff that is released on XBL. He rarely interacts with the community on the blog nor can any of the developers or publishers get on and interact with the audience they're hoping will buy their games, which is what the PS Blog offers. Capcom's community guy even caused the PS Blog to crash with his comment contests.

Those ads don't mean anything when there's no consistency to where they're at and if there's even an ad for the newest game or deal. If you could find Destination Arcade without being told where it was first, you deserved the free avatar gear because they buried it in the same place that was the reason for its creation. The lack of broadband penetration doesn't mean that much for PSN and XBLA, as there's a big enough audience that buys games to help developers make their money back during the first week with as little as 50k to 100k sales, though that's not a guarantee either.
[quote name='cheko']O I C, that's fair & Makes sense as well. Personally I would pay 50 bucks to bring it up to speed with XBLA, that is what i was hoping what "PLUS" was going to be but sadly disappointed again.Well, good thing i own all consoles so, ill just get stuff as i can for each. Again Thanx for the post OP.[/QUOTE] You do know that Gold isn't required to buy XBLA games, right? Silvers get the same access to buying XBLA games, but don't get to play online multiplayer if the game has it.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']That's right, keep changing the goal posts until you can find a way to skew the numbers in your favor. Looking at what I've purchased, it's four for PSN and five for XBLA this year. So it's still pretty much the same. Lately there has been Joe Danger, Gundemonium Collection, Catan (not a port of the XBLA version), Lead and Gold, Soldner-X 2, and Tales of Monkey Island for notable exclusives.
[/QUOTE]
I am glad for you. I have purchased 0 titles this year for PSN and about 15 XBLA titles. The only PSN titles I am even interested in are Joe Danger and Fat Princess (which still debating on purchasing during this sale).

Destination Arcade is a non-attempt because it's not available to download after Summer of Arcade is over, so anybody that's getting the system for the first time later this year can't use the app that could've been the best thing to help them find the best games. The bigger issue is the lack of price drops on XBLA, as a number of these games could have gotten a second wind by being dropped to $5 or $10 and it would help them in the long run. For example, to get the first and second episodes of the Penny Arcade Adventures series, it's $10 on Steam, $15 on PSN, and $35 on XBLA.
Destination Arcade is actually quite poor. The interface is partly broken due to it being rushed out for Summer of Arcade. I don't think it helps or hurts marketplace.

As for second comment, there has been plenty of game price drops. I would say 10+ of my 15 games this year were from a sale where they were around 50% off on XBLA; it doesn't also include the countless other "sale" games I passed on. I guess you don't watch XBLA Deals of the Week dashboard/threads/etc.

It works the other way as well.
Braid on Xbox = 800pts = $10
Braid on PSN = $15
;)

Those ads don't mean anything when there's no consistency to where they're at and if there's even an ad for the newest game or deal. If you could find Destination Arcade without being told where it was first, you deserved the free avatar gear because they buried it in the same place that was the reason for its creation. The lack of broadband penetration doesn't mean that much for PSN and XBLA, as there's a big enough audience that buys games to help developers make their money back during the first week with as little as 50k to 100k sales, though that's not a guarantee either.

You must of been blind because Destination Arcade was very easy for me to find on dashboard, let alone marketplace.

The newest game(s) of the week on XBLA always show up on the main dashboard. Though it isn't that hard to find out what's new in the past month or so. Just go into Marketplace->Arcade->New Releases. It shows you in the about 20 (so) titles in the order they came out. Major Nelson's blog also shows all upcoming releases to XBLA (games, add-ons, etc).

[quote name='lordopus99']Destination Arcade is actually quite poor. The interface is partly broken due to it being rushed out for Summer of Arcade. I don't think it helps or hurts marketplace.[/quote]
It hurts it because DA was supposed to help fix the problem and they put out a half-assed app that is extremely limited in availability. It lacked key features that they said it would have, it takes a while load up, and it's poorly designed all around. They would've done better to just announce that it was a beta for features that they would look into adding to revamp the marketplace in a future dashboard update.

[quote name='lordopus99']As for second comment, there has been plenty of game price drops. I would say 10+ of my 15 games this year were from a sale where they were around 50% off on XBLA; it doesn't also include the countless other "sale" games I passed on. I guess you don't watch XBLA Deals of the Week dashboard/threads/etc.

It works the other way as well.
Braid on Xbox = 800pts = $10
Braid on PSN = $15
;)[/quote]
Those aren't price drops, those are sales. Trine being $10 permanently now when it launched last year at $20 is a price drop. I follow the Deals of the Week all the time and have bought a number of games, but those still aren't permanent price drops that help $15 games that did poorly get a second wind at $10. Both PSN and XBLA have plenty of sales, so that is a moot point.

The difference betwen Braid and anything else on Live is that it had to sell well to deserve a price drop as a part of Arcade Hits, which is ignoring the problem. It would be like if MS required every retail game to stay at $60 or whatever full price is until they sell well enough to become a Platinum Hit to drop to $30.

[quote name='lordopus99']You must of been blind because Destination Arcade was very easy for me to find on dashboard, let alone marketplace.

The newest game(s) of the week on XBLA always show up on the main dashboard. Though it isn't that hard to find out what's new in the past month or so. Just go into Marketplace->Arcade->New Releases. It shows you in the about 20 (so) titles in the order they came out. Major Nelson's blog also shows all upcoming releases to XBLA (games, add-ons, etc).[/QUOTE]
I found it just fine, but that's because I knew where to go. Destination Arcade wasn't made for me but the people that have a hard time finding the good games on the marketplace, so the way they handled the DA launch was an obvious attempt to bury it because they knew there was something wrong with it from the start.

I told a CAG about its release and he came back to say that he had a hard time finding it because it wasn't advertised anywhere on the dashboard, as you had to go into the new arrivals portion of the XBLA marketplace to find it. I can get the Summer of Arcade titles right from the dashboard without having to go that far because they're advertised on the dashboard.

None of this Destination Arcade stuff really has to do with the quality of the games themselves anyway. It sucks that you haven't found anything you like, but that doesn't make them bad games.

How's the community on Fat Princess? I played the beta, but never purchased it.

Also interested in hearing about Catan's community.

I have a mexican credit card, so I can't buy directly from the PSN Store... I always have to buy PSN Cards...

But... I can buy from Amazon with my card. Is every game going to have the discount price through Amazon?

[quote name='ssjmichael']No more games will be added in future weeks, this is it. There's a lot of great prices here so I'm not complaining.[/QUOTE]

Well that's disappointing to me, so I'll complain. Absolutely nothing for me. Wish they'd had the same sale on Borderlands DLC as XBL. I would have bought General Knoxx for $5.

Sorry for such a n00b question, but is it possible to gift points to someone else like you can with the Wii? I haven't seen the option of transferring points to someone else.

I am interested in Fat Princess, Patchwork Heroes and Monsters Probably Stole my Princess.

Quick question: Does Fat Princess have local multiplayer? Thanks

The sale just went up.

[quote name='flybrione']I am interested in Fat Princess, Patchwork Heroes and Monsters Probably Stole my Princess.

Quick question: Does Fat Princess have local multiplayer? Thanks[/QUOTE]

They added it in the last patch and it supports up to four players though it is not split screen so you will have to stay near each other.

bread's done
Back