Playstation phone FREE w/2yr contract plus $20 credit @ BB 9/8-9/20 Online only

Enuf

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Found this on the BB RZ page under "offers & promotions";

1000 Bonus Points ($20 in Reward Certificates)
For a limited time, get the Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY mobile phone for free -- plus receive 1000 Reward Zone® program bonus points -- with a new or upgraded 24-month agreement.
This phone has it all. PlayStation gaming controls. Android operating system. Bluetooth capabilities. Touch screen display. Front- and rear-mount digital cameras. And more.

Through September 20, and as a Reward Zone member, the Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY mobile phone can be yours for free (reg. price $99.99) with a new or upgraded 24-month agreement and activation through Best Buy Mobile Solutions. Plus, you'll receive an additional 500 bonus points.

Combined with the everyday Reward Zone promotion offering 500 bonus points on any mobile phone with a new or upgraded 24-month agreement, you'll receive a total of 1000 bonus points for choosing this feature-rich phone right now.

Valid September 8-20, and online only. You must log in to RewardZoneMobile.com to take advantage of this special offer. Buy now.

It's available thru Verizon 5/26 it's out now review link:
http://gear.ign.com/articles/117/1171313p1.html

Will come preloaded with seven games, including: Madden NFL 11 (EA Sports), Bruce Lee Dragon Warrior (Digital Legends), Asphalt 6: Adrenaline (Gameloft), The Sims 3 (EA), Star Battalion (Gameloft), Crash Bandicoot (Sony PlayStation), and Tetris (EA). A total of 50 games will be available for download at launch.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6314172.html?tag=newsticker;headline;2

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='retrad']
1) its a ripoff[/QUOTE]
i think you're missing the point

[quote name='retrad']
2) i cant play any games on it that I already own[/QUOTE]
name a phone that can

[quote name='retrad']
3) DS and 3ds and NGP and PSP are far better gaming choices
what advantage does the cellphone give you?[/QUOTE]
umm, it can make phone calls.

tradeoffs.

[quote name='thesuzukimethod']i think you're missing the point

name a phone that can

umm, it can make phone calls.

tradeoffs.[/QUOTE]

uh the fact that it can make phone calls doesn't mean its worth replacing my current cellphone... and the fact that it cant play any games i already own means it cant replace my psp or ds.

basically if im going to play games on my phone there better be a very compelling reason to do it (and drain battery life) and so far playstation phone isnt it.

id rather carry my ds around with me than waste my time with this phone.

Epic! Finally a telephoning machine that plays new games that look like they are over 10 yrs old! This is it ladies and gents. For only $200 and an extra $100 a month we can all band together as gamers and make Alexander Graham Bell's dreams FINALLY come true!

Only problem is you can't talk on it. I have Verizon in Mass and I drop more calls than I ever have. Great concept but I'm passing for now. That being said, I don't think this is a horrible "deal" as long as the normal smart phone apps are run well. Makes drunk dialing seem like a non-issue though. I would be concerned that I get black-out drunk one night and feeling nostalgic I woke up with the entire PSone libraby on my phone. Would love to hear the words coming out of my mouth explaining the $1000 phone bill to my wife the next month.

In my days, there was dedicated data plans without the need for voice plans. (ie. The old Sidekick days)

Now they got all greedy and here comes the Caps, mandatory voice plan required, and price hikes

/end vent

[quote name='retrad']
This thing is going to fail as hard as the ngage.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of N-Gage...
talking-3.jpg

The best feature of that phone :lol:

Windows Phone is going to be a better choice for gaming in the long run IMO (assuming you can live without the sticks and buttons). It's got nice Xbox Live integration already and will only get better when they introduce online games later this year. Verizon's getting the HTC Trophy (WP7) pretty soon, too.

Still, if you like Android this one looks decent.

I think people are missing the point. It's not suppose to primarily be a game handheld. It's suppose to be a new top of the line Android cell phone made by Sony that by the way has a slide out gamepad if you feel like playing something. Another benefit is that you only need one device instead of two. It's also very stealthy so it won't look like ur holding a psp at work.

[quote name='vic_x51']I think people are missing the point. It's not suppose to primarily be a game handheld. It's suppose to be a new top of the line Android cell phone made by Sony that by the way has a slide out gamepad if you feel like playing something. Another benefit is that you only need one device instead of two. It's also very stealthy so it won't look like ur holding a psp at work.[/QUOTE]

Seriously, I don't get where all the anger is coming from in this thread. It's just another new smartphone. Do people get pissed off every time a new smartphone is released?

And how do people get it stuck in their heads that the phone should be cheaper? My Thunderbolt cost me $250. The newest version of the iPhone will also cost an arm and a leg. $200 is nothing.

Well one side people (me included) are upset psn itsnt on it meaning double dipping games or not being able to share games between things.

Others are mad because they are judging it as if it was the new psp2

Others are mad this post isn't a deal. Like 100 off msrp at launch

And rest are upset cuz the price of cell phones & cell phone company data plans are high in general

Who I miss ?

Somewhat off topic for those saying what phone has a gamepad. No phone does, but there are attachments that turn the slide out keyboard into one. I have on for my Samsung Epic and works great. Use it for emulators, but can button map each key and works great. Only issue is the lack of shoulder buttons, but I made due.

Also, I have seen a game pad that works with iPhone as well that either uses bluetooth or the port... cant recall. Though that one is quite expensive.

http://www.game-gripper.com/ For the slide out attachment.

[quote name='vic_x51']

Who I miss ?[/QUOTE]

the fact that its just kind of lame to bust out your video game phone.

[quote name='retrad']uh the fact that it can make phone calls doesn't mean its worth replacing my current cellphone... and the fact that it cant play any games i already own means it cant replace my psp or ds.[/QUOTE]
not meant to. again, missing the point. perhaps sony's "it only does everything" marketing push has spoiled everyone...

[quote name='retrad']id rather carry my ds around with me than waste my time with this phone.[/QUOTE]
again, you are not the target market. try showing up to a big-boy meeting with a DS in your pocket.

there's a difference between you thinking the phone is stupid, and the phone being stupid.

[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']Not really. Many smartphones have been $100 when signing up with the same plan or free after rebate. $200 for a phone + signing up for a 2 year plan + $30 a month for data is WAY too much money for a PHONE.

I love Sony, but this phone is destined to fail. It is ugly (one of the worst looking phone I have seen), doesn't work with PSN, and is too expensive. Sorry Sony, you lose this round.[/QUOTE]

The bottom line is these things aren't PHONES anymore...they're little computers.

[quote name='caltab']the fact that its just kind of lame to bust out your video game phone.[/QUOTE]

No more lame than playing a PSP or DS. You can go to the back of the line for saying that.

[quote name='eastx']No more lame than playing a PSP or DS. You can go to the back of the line for saying that.[/QUOTE]

I love playing games on my phone, I just wouldn't like other adults knowing that I was hard core enough to carry around a video game phone. with a controller on it. But, I am sure I am not in any way their target demographic.

[quote name='Camwi']Seriously, I don't get where all the anger is coming from in this thread. It's just another new smartphone. Do people get pissed off every time a new smartphone is released?

And how do people get it stuck in their heads that the phone should be cheaper? My Thunderbolt cost me $250. The newest version of the iPhone will also cost an arm and a leg. $200 is nothing.[/QUOTE]

A lot of people just like to rip something apart to justify to themselves why they don't need to have it. It's all self-serving.

[quote name='caltab']the fact that its just kind of lame to bust out your video game phone.[/QUOTE]

Yea, but it looks like a regular smartphone nothing gives it away as a game phone untill u slide the pad out and even than it just looks like your texting or web surfing unless someone is over your shoulder. That's what's nice about this phone.

[quote name='whoknows']Virgin Mobile should get this phone so I can have it at $25/month like I do my current phone.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I have the LG optimus V and I am def not replacing that! The price is too good, its a wicked phone for the money, and unlimited internet (and netflix now!) streaming to the phone! Priceless.. well... ok, its $25.00 :)

This phone is smart on Sony's part. It costs just as much as any top of the line smartphone. The plans are the same price as any smartphone. Plus it looks like a smartphone.

All that might be an interesting choice for a lot of consumers. Buy x android phone or buy this phone which also has extra gaming capabilities. I mean looking at how well some iPhone games do, it's no surprise that Sony went this route. Plus we as gamers don't mind carrying devices around but I don't think everyone wants to carry around a phone and ds/psp just so they can game on.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']A lot of people just like to rip something apart to justify to themselves why they don't need to have it. It's all self-serving.[/QUOTE]

Bingo.

Hilarious to watch people rip this apart without ever seeing the device. I've used it extensively, and its a pretty great phone. Works just as well as any of the other devices out there, Galaxy S, Droid X etc. Then, when you want to, theres a gamepad which works fantastically with emulators (they all have button mapping) and there are a huge number of the bigger name games that are supporting it. I've played Zenonia 2, Gun Bros, Guns and Glory, Super KO Boxing and others using the gamepad.

But really the main thing is the emulators, those are the best part. Course I'm also a huge classic gamer so I'm somewhat biased.

I do agree that the lack of PSN syncing sucks, but there are more then enough games to make up for it.

Basically if you like having a gaming device with you at all times and only want to carry around one device, this is for you. Its pretty awesome at being a stealth gaming device, I've even pulled up orders for pickup at gamestop and they didn't notice it was the xperia play. If you'd rather carry around your ds/psp then get an iphone.

Well I'm gona put in my 50 cent worth on this lol Yes I'm getting the phone cuz I like the fact about the game pad an its a new phone. And yes I want it cuz I can Skype N See my netflicks on it also an the price is like any other smartphone as well lol so if u like the phone go out an get it if not stay with the phone u got an if ur too damm cheap cricket is for you lol plus there phone really stink lol
Thank ya my friends now have a nice day

so does anyone with this service have an idea at how much were looking at out the door for a month?

30/ amonth is what? I'm looking for unlimited data, text, web. the talk time is less important to me.

Thanks to anyone how knows the answer!

The only reason why I want this is because it would be awesome with all the emulators out there. I won't be getting it though as I still have a year left on my contract, and the next phone i get will have be 4G LTE.

[quote name='neosnk']Well I'm gona put in my 50 cent worth on this lol Yes I'm getting the phone cuz I like the fact about the game pad an its a new phone. And yes I want it cuz I can Skype N See my netflicks on it also an the price is like any other smartphone as well lol so if u like the phone go out an get it if not stay with the phone u got an if ur too damm cheap cricket is for you lol plus there phone really stink lol
Thank ya my friends now have a nice day[/QUOTE]

Holy god that post hurt my brain. :/

Just be aware that VZW will be killing their 'unlimited' (which always had a 5GB soft cap anyway) data plans by this summer....they haven't released details but I expect they will be very similar to what AT&T has done. fuckers.

[quote name='dark-star']Just be aware that VZW will be killing their 'unlimited' (which always had a 5GB soft cap anyway) data plans by this summer....they haven't released details but I expect they will be very similar to what AT&T has done. fuckers.[/QUOTE]

Im thinking you can still grab this phone and get grandfathered in.

The lack of PSN integration is kind of strange. Despite that, it looks like a decent enough gaming phone. At least in my experience, my previous Sony Ericsson phone lasted me years without a problem; I only changed to something else because I went with a different provider and wanted an Android. MSRP and Verizon are kind of meh, though. Good luck to those of you taking the plunge.

[quote name='Enuf']Here's a review
http://gear.ign.com/articles/117/1171313p1.html

6.5 out of 10[/QUOTE]

They didn't even review how it works as a phone. Like the battery life, call time, how fast apps load, benchmark tests... I don't like how you can't sync up your PSN account and redownload the games you already played. It would be awesome to be able to play Final Fantasy on the PS3 and then play it on your ride to work or something.

Phone aspects?Its basically an xperia with PS controls built in. Spec wise its not I'm appressive. Many new phones for same price can beat every spec on this. Theupcoming galaxy s II and evo 3d wll destroy this if your more concerned with the phone and android games aspects. As they have 1.2 or more GHz dual cores and the 3d will have the adreno 220 gpu and there are tegra 2 phones coming out or already like the LG G2X.

I was waiting on this phone. Then I compared this phone's pricetag to what's coming out and what's been out already. What a freakin ripoff. Sony Ericsson can go eff themselves. $700 phone when you can get an iphone 4 for less or even get better specs from other phones that just came out. This phone is comparable to iphone 4, which has been out for almost a YEAR now. I read that the build quality on this is crap too.

Amazon wireless has it on sale for 100. My girl bought it. Phone is nice,responsive, your tipical good android phone. The build quality on the buttons are awesome I can definitly see it withstanding some hardcore sf alpha 3. Analogs are nice too but need more game time with, if she let's me.

I purchased this the other day (typing from it now!). While its definately behind in smartphone specs, it makes up for it with the gamepad. The preloaded games are great but my favorite part by far is the emulators. The snesoid and n64oid both allow you to map buttons to the gamepad (they show up as "unknown"). Super Mario RPG on the go? Yes please. Starfox 64 while I wait for my friends to show up? Thank you.

As for those asking about the actual phone, battery life is great. I had an iPhone 4 before this and I get more usage time out of the Xperia. Call quality is great but the volume is a bit lower than id like, even with volume maxed. Running 2.3 is brilliant with no hitching on screen transition and a very much needed upgrade to the virtual keyboard over 2.2.

As others have stated, this is for those who prefer android and plan to game on the go regularly. Those looking for a more robust entertainment device with higher specs should look into an iPhone, Samsung Charge or wait for the Bionic.

i work for verizon and they're giving me this phone for free...should be getting it Tuesday...

So now, I have the HTC Trophy as my personal line, supporting XBOX Live, and now the Xperia Play on my work line for PSP stuff

[quote name='lawke']I purchased this the other day (typing from it now!). While its definately behind in smartphone specs, it makes up for it with the gamepad. The preloaded games are great but my favorite part by far is the emulators. The snesoid and n64oid both allow you to map buttons to the gamepad (they show up as "unknown"). Super Mario RPG on the go? Yes please. Starfox 64 while I wait for my friends to show up? Thank you.[/QUOTE]

Have you tried downloading the SCE America games off of the android marketplace? It won't let me do it, but I'm not sure if its because I don't have the retail release firmware.

[quote name='breakingcustoms']i work for verizon and they're giving me this phone for free...should be getting it Tuesday...

So now, I have the HTC Trophy as my personal line, supporting XBOX Live, and now the Xperia Play for PSP stuff[/QUOTE]
How do you like the HTC trophy? I'm thinking about upgrading to one once my contract is up in a couple months

I think there is too much hype around this phone (I'm not trolling either btw).
Let's see how fast 'till the refurbished units are available.

[quote name='Brother Daz']How do you like the HTC trophy? I'm thinking about upgrading to one once my contract is up in a couple months[/QUOTE]

i actually really like it. after the onslaught of android phones on verizon, it was like a breath of fresh air.

its snappy, fast, and it works flawlessly. i would definitely recommend this phone to anyone looking for something different, and once mango hits, better

I saw this today at a Verizon store and played around with it. It's responsive, feels good, screen looks pretty nice. If you want a phone for gaming it's probably decent...but if you just want a smartphone obviously there are better options out there, even without 4G.

bread's done
Back