Playstation Protection Plan?

CENNY

CAGiversary!
Called up Sony about something else regarding a new PS3 slim, and after helping, they offered their extended warranty which we declined. But now I'm thinking it's a good idea. I guess it's $44.99 for one year (added onto original 1 yr manufacturer warranty, so you'd be getting two years total), or 2 years for $59.99. Looks like they even send a prepaid shipping box if you need to send your gaming system in to them...

So questions: anyone bought it, had to use it, and can recommend? Will they really fix anything that happens to the PS3 as long as it's not the users fault? If they fix your PS3 do you generally get the same one you bought back, or a new refurbished one? Is it a good idea to get one on a new 160GB PS3 slim which will be getting pretty heavy use in the next few years? Thanks for any input.

good question... my friend's PS3 just went out on him... I told him to buy the extended warranty and then claim that it broke a month later.

you need to buy the warranty within the first year of ownership with proof. ive had to send my ps3s in the fat and slim and both times got the same ones back. but that as with the regular one im sure the extended one is the same service as original

Thanks for the replies. Anyone else use the service? If a new 160 GB slim is going to be getting heavy use, is it a good idea to get one of these for it?

I just called the other day concerning "Activating" my ps3 for movies (trust me big pain in the ass). The guy told me they lowered the price on getting it fixed depending the model. I had an original 60gb and he said it would cost $129.

Also, he said they offer a trade in for a new Playstation 3 for $99 as long as it has the original Hard Drive it came with. Just repeating what he said, not sure if it is new or just a refurbished one.

I've only had my PS3 for about one year, but I did go ahead and buy the extended Best Buy warranty on it. I'm just about past the first year with no problems at all except one random lockup when I accidentally ejected the movie in mid-play.

My best friend has had his for about three years now, older 60GB version, and he's never had an issue with it.

I say go ahead and get once because you don't know what could happen.

I had a launch PS3 (60GB) which I bought around when it was released. It died on me in November. I recently bought a 320GB slim MOVE bundle and I've been debating for the warranty.

I know if you are a PLAYSTATION PLUS member, they offer the extended warranty at a discount ($40 maybe?!)

Also, I purchased with a Sony Card, and I thought that DOUBLED the manufacturer warranty, but I could be wrong on that one.

[quote name='doubledown']
Also, I purchased with a Sony Card, and I thought that DOUBLED the manufacturer warranty, but I could be wrong on that one.[/QUOTE]

I had no idea about this, anyone know if it's just on Sony products or is it any electronic products? I actually have the Sony card right now. Didn't even think about the extended warranties and whatever free extras that come when you buy the PS3 with a Visa credit card. Already used the free loss damage waiver coverage that comes when you rent a car, that saves me a bunch.

bread's done
Back