Playstation TV - Has Anyone Tried it?

Rick4Life

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I am thinking about getting the PlayStation TV, but am concerned about the lag with FPS Multiplayer. Has anyone tried it? I know there is a fraction of a second delay, but does that really cause an issue with game play?

Thanks in advance. Hopefully someone has tried it!

I went to best buy to pick it up they were out.  Was going to order it, but the reviews on Amazon weren't so hot, so I decided to wait.  

I heard it's not that popular. IGN gave the device a 6.5/10. I like the idea behind it, but it seems like they kind of rushed into this. I'll know more whenever I get my hands on one though. 

I picked on up on Tues. I got the bundle because I currently only have one Dualshock.

my initial thoughts.. I have a vita. Seeing the vita interface blown up on the tv is off-putting. The vita was designed for touch. I would much prefer the PS4 interface. It's certainly manageable.    Vita games look pretty decent on the system. I played Killzone Mercenaries (they patch in controller support) and a few others.  I don't like that the vita card slot is hard to get to. I could see myself leaving a favorite game in there. 

It is tiny..I am able to easily hide it behind my tv.  That's cool. 

Remote play... it works. Some artifacting. Never dropped connection and both my PS TV and PS4 are on wi-fi. The PS TV is in the basement right below the PS4.  I played a bit for Shadows of Mordor. I wasn't paying attention and I play it with the Dualshock. Connecting controllers was not an issue. (Thankfully I had and extra micro USB cable.). There is some lag but I'm the wrong guy to ask. I don't play multiplayer. 

I got it mainly for occasional PS4 remote play and playing some "classic" PSX games on the big screen. I don't mind the old graphics. 

I still wish they would make games like Uncharted and Gravity Rush compatible somehow... I would love to play some Vita games on the big screen with a DS4. 

I know Egoraptor despises it.

https://twitter.com/egoraptor/status/522304146146217984?s=09

https://twitter.com/egoraptor/status/522304706702352384?s=09

https://twitter.com/egoraptor/status/522305855690010624?s=09

https://twitter.com/egoraptor/status/522306118337327104?s=09

https://twitter.com/egoraptor/status/522306526703128577?s=09 https://twitter.com/egoraptor/status/522307150207393792?s=09

I am interested in PS TV, mainly as a RPG machine to play Vita and PSP rpgs, but I just don't think its ready yet from everything I have seen so far. The UI is inadequate, its missing support from some major releases, and it doesn't even support Netflix.

Maybe it will be ready in a few months, but I am gonna wait until I see how serious Sony is in supporting it before it gets my monies.

I disagree. The PS TV is Sony wanting to compete with Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku, Amazon Fire TV, and all those other TV streaming boxes. That's the reason it exists. Unfortunately, there is too little TV in the PS TV. Sony rushed it to market with too little TV streaming support.

It has a ton of potential, but it is far from realizing that potential. Maybe in a year it will be ready to compete with those other streaming boxes, but not now.

I disagree. The PS TV is Sony wanting to compete with Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku, Amazon Fire TV, and all those other TV streaming boxes. That's the reason it exists. Unfortunately, there is too little TV in the PS TV. Sony rushed it to market with too little TV streaming support.

It has a ton of potential, but it is far from realizing that potential. Maybe in a year it will be ready to compete with those other streaming boxes, but not now.
Even when it gets Netflix and all the other streaming apps, it has partial Vita support, and who wants to play Vita games on their TV anyway? Many of the best Vita games use the Vita to its full capabilities, like Tearaway. That can't be compatible with Vita TV can it?

Not unless Sony releases a Vita-like controller specifically for the PS TV, which I just don't see them doing but would be a good gesture. I am hopeful that they will patch some of the higher-profile Vita games to be playable with a dualshock, but Sony has been pretty pathetic about stating their future plans for the system. And thats the main reason I am passing on the thing. I would hate to spend 100 bucks then have to wait a year just to get Netflix or Hulu when those should have been working on it day one.

I predict that if it continues to get crappy support from Sony, it will be a passing fad and won't be around for long. I hear is has sold kinda poorly on Japan, and I don't see them flying off shelves here either.

I bought one at launch and I've played it a few times. Mainly use it for ps1/psv/psn games. Was planning on waiting to buy one but I had a bunch of free walmart credit. The remote play works about the same as vita. I heard Netflix isn't coming to it and that's fine by me. I own about 17 devices with Netflix on it. If you want this to play old psp/ps1 games on it wouldn't be a bad idea. Just make sure the game is compatible first. Still haven't tried PS Now on it, but I heard it works pretty good.

Personally, I'm interested in seeing how this plays out. If Sony can work out the kinks with remote play, I'm very intrigued by both the Vita TV and the Vita itself. Sounds very underwhelming at launch, but the ideas are there. I haven't made the jump to next gen yet, and if nothing else this has made me second guess my decision to go with Xbox One. If they can just figure out the execution I think it will make it hard for Microsoft to compete

Personally, I'm interested in seeing how this plays out. If Sony can work out the kinks with remote play, I'm very intrigued by both the Vita TV and the Vita itself. Sounds very underwhelming at launch, but the ideas are there. I haven't made the jump to next gen yet, and if nothing else this has made me second guess my decision to go with Xbox One. If they can just figure out the execution I think it will make it hard for Microsoft to compete
Remote Play works pretty well, especially on the Vita. Granted there are certain games that work better then others. For instance NBA2K is horrible with Remote Play, due to a little but of a delay. It's almost impossible to make a shot. However I played Rayman Legends and AC: Black Flag almost completely through Remote Play on the vita.

Has anyone tried playing Don't Starve Vita edition on PlayStation TV? How is the quality compared to playing it on PS4?

The fact that it only outputs in 720p was a deal breaker for me.
It outputs in 1080i. Your flat panel is probably just going to convert it to a progressive signal. Vita games are rendered at 960x544 or below anyway, so what's the problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
It outputs in 1080i. Your flat panel is probably just going to convert it to a progressive signal. Vita games are rendered at 960x544 or below anyway, so what's the problem?
Well if I'm using it as a media streaming device and to remote play my Playstation 4 720p would not be ideal. And for the same price or less I can get an AppleTV, FiteTV, Roku, or Chromecast which all natively display 1080p. Not to mention that the FireTV also plays games.

I MIGHT pick up one up if I can get it cheap on Black Friday or something but for $100 and all it does is play *some* vita games on my TV, which is something the Vita itself should do out of the box, I'll pass.

I will get one eventually, on account of being a collecting nut. But for me there is no hurry. I already have a PS3, a PS4, and a Vita. For me the only utility that the Vita TV provides is being able to play Vita games on the big screen. And while there is some value in that, the Vita's screen is so bright and crisp that I've never particularly objected to playing games on it.

I'll get it eventually as a nice curiosity, but I won't be contributing to the initial sales.

Got one of these. Was really excited at the idea of streaming my PS4 to another TV in the house. Quite a bit of lag on it. I tried playing Drive club and Destiny both had issues. Screen resolution was poor also like it was meant to be on the smaller Vita screen. I am not currently using it and picked up another Vita instead. I plan on holding on to it in hopes that with a few patches later on it'll offer better options.

Playstation Tv? i think it's worth a try i mean buy. must say one of the best electronic evolution ever created! incredible! 

Since the Vita was essentially a failure, all the good games should just be ported over to the PS3/PS4 and just ditch the Vita for good. I've had mine for about 2 years now and only played maybe 5 games on it. If it wasn't a Christmas gift, I'd be very disappointed with it

I own it, mainly because I wanted a cheap way to sign back into PSN, talk to some of my old PSN friends, and play some of the games I purchased years back when I had a PS3. The unit is cool for PS Classics and PSP games. I enjoy playing Ys, Wipeout, Chrono Cross, and more on the big screen. Since the bundle comes with a Dual Shock 3, I can buy one of those used PS3s (eventually) from cowboom that don't come with a controller. Or I could buy a Dual Shock 4 and use it on the PS TV. PS Now works great (I rented Dragon's Lair 2). I also enjoy using the Live from Vita app and watching some PS4 gameplay, which I couldn't do until now because I don't have a PS4 (or Vita).

It's a weird, quirky device that would do much better if all Vita games were compatible (patches will come) and the bundle price was less than $100 (not sure this will happen for awhile). I was also disappointed that I couldn't download a digital PSP game I purchased: Phantasy Star Portable 2. I would have really liked to play this on the big screen online with other players.

Disclaimer: I also bought a PSPGo back in the day, so my crap detector may be on the fritz.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back