playstation vita 3g/wifi vs wifi

aftermath001

CAGiversary!
i am considering a vita but...... which one? i don't have an a t & t account.. will i have to purchase one to play on the vita for 3g? if so how much is this going to cost me? or will the 3g version will have free 3g?

what are you all going to purchase 3g/wifi or just wifi?

Wi-Fi only. I have unlimited data with AT&T and my phone is rooted. I'll just tether my Vita to my phone and use 3G that way...if I absolutely have to. I expect most of my gaming to be within a wi-fi hotspot.

That said, I don't see many people paying for 3G service as well as the $299 3G Vita... Hoping Sony drops the 3G version and just focuses on wi-fi for the smaller price. Looks better for marketing.

[quote name='SynGamer']Wi-Fi only. I have unlimited data with AT&T and my phone is rooted. I'll just tether my Vita to my phone and use 3G that way...if I absolutely have to. I expect most of my gaming to be within a wi-fi hotspot.

That said, I don't see many people paying for 3G service as well as the $299 3G Vita... Hoping Sony drops the 3G version and just focuses on wi-fi for the smaller price. Looks better for marketing.[/QUOTE]

your thoughts on that $350 bundle they have for it?

[quote name='aftermath001']your thoughts on that $350 bundle they have for it?[/QUOTE]
Grab the wi-fi version - $249.99
4GB memory card - $19.99
Little Deviants - $29.99
Screen Protector on eBay - $9.99?
Case on eBay - $9.99?
= $320.

I personally plan on getting an 8GB memory card and I'm not entire sure about Little Deviants at $29.99. May wait and grab that for $19.99 or less as it's more or less a collection of mini games. Sony really should have included that game with EVERY PS Vita considering it's a great example of what the system can do.

disreguard my last comment its not as bad as it was i guess saw the thread they updated the pricing for the memory cards :)

[quote name='aftermath001']disreguard my last comment its not as bad as it was i guess saw the thread they updated the pricing for the memory cards :)[/QUOTE]
Yep. 4GB = $19.99, 8GB = $29.99, 16GB = $59.99, and 32GB = $99.99. Still crazy high, but a bit more reasonable than before.

those cards look 100% identical to micro sd cards ... i remember when the psp first came out i saw the comparison of the other memory cards and i purchased it and woot it worked on that sucker so i believe they are micro sd cards

[quote name='aftermath001']those cards look 100% identical to micro sd cards ... i remember when the psp first came out i saw the comparison of the other memory cards and i purchased it and woot it worked on that sucker so i believe they are micro sd cards[/QUOTE]
They are actually almost COMPLETELY like M2 cards, which is also a Sony proprietary format...whatevs though. I'm used to Sony putting out it's own format :p

I don't really see the point of having a 3G version. It is really an unnecessary model. With the 3G, all you can really do is download small files. I don't believe you can even use it for multiplayer. It seems like a waste of resources and unnecessary risk on Sony's part.

Wifi version for me since my phone can access the internet and that is all I would use the vita for, if I got the 3G model since 20mb download size cap and no mutliplayer over 3G. Also planning on buying a 32GB card for it since I may do digital a lot more on this system and a screen protector of course.

The 3g version will have an extra slot, that slot potentially can be used for something else other than for the 3g card.

[quote name='Hinoshiko']The 3g version will have an extra slot, that slot potentially can be used for something else other than for the 3g card.[/QUOTE]

How could you use anything other than a 3G sim card in the sim card slot?
I am curious how you cam e to this conclusion and what would actually have the same shape as the sim card.

I Am getting the bundle, since money is not an issues thanks to credit I had and a week early is always nice. I myself can see myself using the 3G on a long car trip and such when I'm stuck in the car for days and gone for weeks (do not have a fancy phone of any sort). So for me it is something I could get some use out of when I need it. However it is not something I will be using on a regular basis, for obvious reasons. But I may use it for a month or 2 when it would be a nice convenience. It's a convenience really, and one that not everyone needs. It you have a phone with all those things available it probably isn't worth it. But for me, one who doesn't have a fancy phone, it would be nice to be able to keep in touch with my friends lists and keep my games updated when wifi won't be around for awhile.

3G is way to slow and inconsistent for multiplayer anything.

Also, 3G is dead. 4G is being rolled out by all the providers, or at least some sort of almost-4G that is better than the shit that is 3G.

I would not even bother getting a 3G version, unless it was a 4G compatible in the future.

I ended up canceling my order anyway. They released too many games last year, my back log is HUGE, i don't have time for Vita. I came to my senses. I had preordered a 3G, then thought about why the hell would get 3G if I don't even want to pay for the overpriced data. So, then I preordered Wifi. Ended up canceling that after counting my backlog. Ouch.

[quote name='b3b0p']3G is way to slow and inconsistent for multiplayer anything.

Also, 3G is dead. 4G is being rolled out by all the providers, or at least some sort of almost-4G that is better than the shit that is 3G.

I would not even bother getting a 3G version, unless it was a 4G compatible in the future.

I ended up canceling my order anyway. They released too many games last year, my back log is HUGE, i don't have time for Vita. I came to my senses. I had preordered a 3G, then thought about why the hell would get 3G if I don't even want to pay for the overpriced data. So, then I preordered Wifi. Ended up canceling that after counting my backlog. Ouch.[/QUOTE]

How can 3G be dead when outside of verizon 4g is only in a handful of cities?

[quote name='b3b0p']3G is way to slow and inconsistent for multiplayer anything.[/QUOTE]
Except asynchronous multiplayer, which is what it is actually used for.

bread's done
Back