Banned
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0071NH8B8/ref=tsm_1_tw_s_vg_lyfzzt

Includes:

PS Vita w/ Wifi + 3G
8GB Memory Card
Dataconnect session pass
1 Playstation Network game

Hello,

We'd like to provide an update for customers who have pre-ordered the "PlayStation Vita 3G/WiFi" handheld console. All customers who pre-order this item before its February 22, 2012 release date will be automatically upgraded to the "PlayStation Vita 3G/Wi-Fi Launch Bundle" at no additional charge. The "PlayStation Vita 3G/Wi-Fi Launch Bundle" will include an 8GB Memory Card, AT&T DataConnect Session Pass, and Free PlayStation Network Game. More details can be found in this item's product description section here: PlayStation Vita 3G/Wi-Fi Launch Bundle

This upgrade will be extended to all existing "PlayStation Vita 3G/WiFi" pre-orders. Please note that due to limited quantities, we can't guarantee the availability of "PlayStation Vita 3G/Wi-Fi Launch Bundle" after the pre-order window has ended.

We appreciate your business and hope you enjoy your new handheld console.

- Amazon Video Game Editors

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Turkletont']If I have no plans to ever use the 3G am I better off just getting the Wi-Fi version or is it worth it to go with the bundle for the memory card and stuff?[/QUOTE]

If you don't plan on buying a larger memory card off the bat then it's worth getting the 3g model with the bundle. If you plan on a 16gb or 32gb get the wifi + memory card separate.

[quote name='Turkletont']If I have no plans to ever use the 3G am I better off just getting the Wi-Fi version or is it worth it to go with the bundle for the memory card and stuff?[/QUOTE]

Probably. There is the off chance of a company making a game that uses the GPS that'll come with the 3G version. I wouldn't expect any larger titles to make it a mandatory feature so if a company did it you'd most likely be looking at something that's more of a side feature in a game.

Personally, I really want to get the 3G just to future proof myself, but I'm still not sure. $50 is a lot to pay for a feature I'll most likely never use.

[quote name='omyard']Probably. There is the off chance of a company making a game that uses the GPS that'll come with the 3G version. I wouldn't expect any larger titles to make it a mandatory feature so if a company did it you'd most likely be looking at something that's more of a side feature in a game.

Personally, I really want to get the 3G just to future proof myself, but I'm still not sure. $50 is a lot to pay for a feature I'll most likely never use.[/QUOTE]

Well the bundle comes with an 8gb memory card and a game. I'm sure the game will be a piece of crap but if you get the Wi-Fi version and the 8gb memory card that would be $280. So at that point it's only $20 more expensive and you get the 3g.

So I guess if you look at it that way it's worth it. The First Edition doesn't seem worth it though.

[quote name='omyard']Probably. There is the off chance of a company making a game that uses the GPS that'll come with the 3G version. I wouldn't expect any larger titles to make it a mandatory feature so if a company did it you'd most likely be looking at something that's more of a side feature in a game.

Personally, I really want to get the 3G just to future proof myself, but I'm still not sure. $50 is a lot to pay for a feature I'll most likely never use.[/QUOTE]

Disgaea 3 is going to use the GPS feature. I highly doubt it's mandatory but that does mean it's possible that future games will use the feature for something cool. That's what made me change from WiFi to 3G. I'd like to have the option.

[quote name='Turkletont']Well the bundle comes with an 8gb memory card and a game. I'm sure the game will be a piece of crap but if you get the Wi-Fi version and the 8gb memory card that would be $280. So at that point it's only $20 more expensive and you get the 3g.

So I guess if you look at it that way it's worth it. The First Edition doesn't seem worth it though.[/QUOTE]

True, I guess I'm looking at it a bit different since I'm also getting a 32GB card. For most though it seems like they're looking at 8GB or 16GB so the 8GB included is probably enough to satisfy their memory card needs.

[quote name='Turkletont']Well the bundle comes with an 8gb memory card and a game. I'm sure the game will be a piece of crap but if you get the Wi-Fi version and the 8gb memory card that would be $280. So at that point it's only $20 more expensive and you get the 3g.

So I guess if you look at it that way it's worth it. The First Edition doesn't seem worth it though.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say that. Sony has shown several times they don't mind giving away quality titles. However since I have so many trophies >.> I kinda don't want to ever resync them all >

[quote name='Ragnorok64']THing is since most people will probably get the wifi version I doubt developers will include much 3G only stuff in future games.[/QUOTE]

If that's the $50 gamble you want to make, go ahead.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']If that's the $50 gamble you want to make, go ahead.[/QUOTE]
It's a safe bet... All of the Vita games must be playable on the WiFi model, otherwise it defeats the purpose of the WiFi model, not to mention uproars of angry gamers. 3G is a waste of money, I will not even pay $1 more for it. The logic is simple, you got to pay a monthly fee to use it. It will be mostly used for social network stuff, it will not be used for gaming online or anything like that.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']If that's the $50 gamble you want to make, go ahead.[/QUOTE]

I doubt it's anything that's a deal breaker. Maybe social features or recruiting new characters through location.

Take for example, how my DS games actually took advantage of DSi only features as opposed to how many were totally playable on any DS. I figure the same thing will happen here.

Edit: That said it's still going to come down to what deals are offered.

[quote name='Serpentor']It's a safe bet... All of the Vita games must be playable on the WiFi model, otherwise it defeats the purpose of the WiFi model, not to mention uproars of angry gamers. 3G is a waste of money, I will not even pay $1 more for it. The logic is simple, you got to pay a monthly fee to use it. It will be mostly used for social network stuff, it will not be used for gaming online or anything like that.[/QUOTE]

Well, obviously it's not going to be anything that's required for game progression, but that doesn't mean they won't put in cool features that use the 3G.

As far as 3G goes, i might just do the 1 month to get the 2nd free along with the free game.

Otherwise, i'm hoping that post about the Best Buy deal was true too. (Getting a 50$ Gift Card for activating a data plan instore), i'd totally bite on that without hesitation

Couldnt really justify it for more than that.

Companies usually cater to the lowest common denominator...too much $ to lose. The only thing so far I heard of using GPS was some sort of scavenger...sounded pretty dumb.

[quote name='ryne candy']Companies usually cater to the lowest common denominator...too much $ to lose. The only thing so far I heard of using GPS was some sort of scavenger...sounded pretty dumb.[/QUOTE]

Like geocaching?

Because I always though that sounded like it could be a lot of fun (or at the very least an easy way to get out of the house on a nice day).

So I went to pre-order the 3g bundle and decided to go with the Wi-Fi version.

The 3g bundle is $300 but you still got to buy a $20 case, and $10 for protective screen.. that's $330.

You can get the WiFi model, 4gb memory, case, protective film, plus a few other things for $290. That's basically an entire game.

What you lose out on for $40:
4gb of memory, 3g capabilities, cheap free psn game.

To me it's not worth it. To you it might be, but I'll take the $40 I save and use it for a game =)

[quote name='Turkletont']You can get the WiFi model, 4gb memory, case, protective film, plus a few other things for $290. That's basically an entire game.[/QUOTE]$250+$20+$20+$10=$300. Where are you seeing all of this plus a few other things for $290?

[quote name='robodaddyo']$250+$20+$20+$10=$300. Where are you seeing all of this plus a few other things for $290?[/QUOTE]

He means Wifi model + starter kit. (which does include a lot of nice goodies)

[quote name='robodaddyo']$250+$20+$20+$10=$300. Where are you seeing all of this plus a few other things for $290?[/QUOTE]

The starter kit has headphones , case, protective film, 4gb memory, a little game holder thing for $40

You could get the 3g bundle + the kit for $340.

That would give you 12gb memory and everything else for $50 more than wi-fi model. Like I said though, to me that's basically uncharted for free and I prefer that. Might be different for you though.

Man, I wonder if I could include my unlimited data plan with my iPhone 4S with the Vita 3G. That would be sweet and the only way I'd get the 3G bundle, tbqh. If not then Wi-Fi model + started kit for me.

[quote name='earvcunanan']Man, I wonder if I could include my unlimited data plan with my iPhone 4S with the Vita 3G. That would be sweet and the only way I'd get the 3G bundle, tbqh. If not then Wi-Fi model + started kit for me.[/QUOTE]

Verizon and AT&T are both planning to offer shared data plans across devices in 2012. Probably for a fee per device, but still, cheaper than separate plans for every device. That's part of the reason I'm getting the First Edition Bundle, just so I have the option in the future (but really, I just want it a week early ... been jonesing for a Vita since playing one at E3 and at certain unnamed and surprising developers, hehe).

Of course, that Unlimited data plan has recently become worthless ... AT&T is severely throttling users who go over 2GB/month at the moment in an attempt to make people drop their grandfathered plans.

No wonder my 3G connection has been dropping lately... that's pretty crappy of AT&T, but I won't budge. Thanks for the info - now I'm tempted to get that 3G bundle too.

Am thinking about picking this package up but logic is telling me to stay away.

First, 3G is basically already an outdated technology so its inclusion in this portable is a fumble and missed opportunity. 4G would have made sense. 3G, not so much since apparently it won't be capable of handling online gaming.

Second, and probably more importantly, I can't believe that this system will stay at this price point for very long. Nintendo is likely sitting on a redesign of the 3DS that includes the second analogue slide pad, is lighter, has a brighter screen and gets better battery life (the 3DS Lite, if you will). That will probably hit around May or June for around $150 and Sony will probably have to drop its asking price to $200 or lower (and include a memory card) to prevent the Vita from becoming irrelevant like the PSP (obviously there were other reasons for the PSP's demise, most notably piracy).

[quote name='bchampnd']Am thinking about picking this package up but logic is telling me to stay away.

First, 3G is basically already an outdated technology so its inclusion in this portable is a fumble and missed opportunity. 4G would have made sense. 3G, not so much since apparently it won't be capable of handling online gaming.

Second, and probably more importantly, I can't believe that this system will stay at this price point for very long. Nintendo is likely sitting on a redesign of the 3DS that includes the second analogue slide pad, is lighter, has a brighter screen and gets better battery life (the 3DS Lite, if you will). That will probably hit around May or June for around $150 and Sony will probably have to drop its asking price to $200 or lower (and include a memory card) to prevent the Vita from becoming irrelevant like the PSP (obviously there were other reasons for the PSP's demise, most notably piracy).[/QUOTE]

I dont see how what Nintendo does affects what Sony does... There are android tablets with better screens, better specs and a lower price than the Ipad, but the Ipad still sells just fine at a far higher price.

The Vita is a better overall system than the 3DS and they won't have the same titles so please stop trying to explain how the consumer will view it like that.

[quote name='admiralvic']I dont see how what Nintendo does affects what Sony does... There are android tablets with better screens, better specs and a lower price than the Ipad, but the Ipad still sells just fine at a far higher price.

The Vita is a better overall system than the 3DS and they won't have the same titles so please stop trying to explain how the consumer will view it like that.[/QUOTE]

when it comes to consumers (especially those buying for children during the holidays), brand recognition is important. An iPad will sell regardless of the competition at the moment because it was the first important tablet device to market and many people have replaced the tablet/slate word with iPad just as many people call any MP3 player an iPod.

We are on a gamers forum here so we realize the difference between all of these things and how a 3DS and Vita are a lot different. When it comes down to it though, your argument is basically saying the Wii was never in competion with the 360/PS3. Ask many parents what they bought for Christmas in the past and why. It was popular brand recognition and good price....if the Vita doesn't find a way to do this, then it will remain like the PSP before it...a good selling system, but not a crazy seller like the DS lineup.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']THing is since most people will probably get the wifi version I doubt developers will include much 3G only stuff in future games.[/QUOTE]

Anything 3G can do wifi can do.
3G is just if you want to be connected to the internet on the go. Simple as that. No such thing as 3G only features. (I'm talking data only, not gps)

I'm getting because, well, you never know if I would want that option.

[quote name='bchampnd']Am thinking about picking this package up but logic is telling me to stay away.

Second, and probably more importantly, I can't believe that this system will stay at this price point for very long. Nintendo is likely sitting on a redesign of the 3DS that includes the second analogue slide pad, is lighter, has a brighter screen and gets better battery life (the 3DS Lite, if you will). That will probably hit around May or June for around $150 and Sony will probably have to drop its asking price to $200 or lower (and include a memory card) to prevent the Vita from becoming irrelevant like the PSP (obviously there were other reasons for the PSP's demise, most notably piracy).[/QUOTE]

I have very strong doubts about a "3DS Lite" anytime within the near future. Especially not when there are a few limited design 3DS, sales picking and so forth. It would create far too much consumer confusion if they do so. There will be a regular DS Lite, DSi, DSiXL, 3DS and a 3DS Lite? How would you even price that? 3DS for $150 (far too early for another price drop and what reason do they have)? 3DS Lite for $180? Then there is the WiiU schedule to be release by the end of the year which means chances are R&D are tied up with the WiiU oppose to a redesign 3DS. It would be a very poor business strategy to do too much in a short period of them. That would leave them far less room in the future to tweak price.

Also, if you haven't notice in the past, Sony really don't care if their competitor drop $50. Sony drops the price when they believe it's right. If anything, sometimes it feels as when Sony drops their price, the competitor follows. If you buy a PSP now, it still doesn't include a memory stick unless you buy a bundle. So I don't see this changing.

The Vita isn't going to become irrelevant like the PSP. I don't expect the PSVita to sell like consoles or the DS but I don't see the PSVita doing bad either.

TL; DR: I really hope the PSVita will succeed and the price stay all the way through the end of the year. (Of course there will probably be holiday bundle but nothing that really justify the 10 month wait.)

[quote name='admiralvic']I dont see how what Nintendo does affects what Sony does... There are android tablets with better screens, better specs and a lower price than the Ipad, but the Ipad still sells just fine at a far higher price.

The Vita is a better overall system than the 3DS and they won't have the same titles so please stop trying to explain how the consumer will view it like that.[/QUOTE]

Except the same thing happened last generation - PSP was a much better overall system than the DS yet the DS sold and the PSP didn't.

As for the iPad comparison, if anything the 3DS is more like the iPad in this situation because Nintendo has a far larger group of rabid fans (and by that I mean parents who will buy the system for the children and then whatever Mario title comes out and buy no third party software). The Vita is the Android tablet here that has to knock the arguably inferior competition off of its pedestal.

This is almost akin to what happened in the 360-ps3 battle where Sony put out the higher quality device but was too late to the party and entered at too high a price point. It was a major mistake not releasing in the US for the holiday season and instead waiting until everyone has seen their credit card bills for that time period and starts trying to save money.

I want the Vita to succeed because it is a great piece of hardware and it has the potential to have an awesomely diverse library of games from casual touch screen stuff to hardcore titles played with the dual analogue sticks. It's just hard to see it happening given the market conditions - the existence of a cheaper gaming alternative in the 3DS and smartphones and tablets that are becoming better gaming devices (and have plenty of free and 99 cent games which are getting better and better all the time instead of $40-$50 titles) and do a whole lot more.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bchampnd']Except the same thing happened last generation - PSP was a much better overall system than the DS yet the DS sold and the PSP didn't.

As for the iPad comparison, if anything the 3DS is more like the iPad in this situation because Nintendo has a far larger group of rabid fans (and by that I mean parents who will buy the system for the children and then whatever Mario title comes out and buy no third party software). The Vita is the Android tablet here that has to knock the arguably inferior competition off of its pedestal.

This is almost akin to what happened in the 360-ps3 battle where Sony put out the higher quality device but was too late to the party and entered at too high a price point. It was a major mistake not releasing in the US for the holiday season and instead waiting until everyone has seen their credit card bills for that time period and starts trying to save money.

I want the Vita to succeed because it is a great piece of hardware and it has the potential to have an awesomely diverse library of games from casual touch screen stuff to hardcore titles played with the dual analogue sticks. It's just hard to see it happening given the market conditions - the existence of a cheaper gaming alternative in the 3DS and smartphones and tablets that are becoming better gaming devices (and have plenty of free and 99 cent games which are getting better and better all the time instead of $40-$50 titles) and do a whole lot more.[/QUOTE]

I see a problem with your logic here as the 360 and PS3 are pretty close globally. Also the PSP wasn't exactly a dud, it just didn't sell well compared to the DS. Overall, I'd say it did a pretty good job sales wise. Otherwise, I agree with wanting the Vita to succeed and do well, however price may play into why it wouldn't do so hot. Hopefully, Sony will be able to lower the price about 50 dollars or so.

http://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/

[quote name='UltimateIdiot911']I have very strong doubts about a "3DS Lite" anytime within the near future. Especially not when there are a few limited design 3DS, sales picking and so forth. It would create far too much consumer confusion if they do so. There will be a regular DS Lite, DSi, DSiXL, 3DS and a 3DS Lite? How would you even price that? 3DS for $150 (far too early for another price drop and what reason do they have)? 3DS Lite for $180? Then there is the WiiU schedule to be release by the end of the year which means chances are R&D are tied up with the WiiU oppose to a redesign 3DS. It would be a very poor business strategy to do too much in a short period of them. That would leave them far less room in the future to tweak price.

Also, if you haven't notice in the past, Sony really don't care if their competitor drop $50. Sony drops the price when they believe it's right. If anything, sometimes it feels as when Sony drops their price, the competitor follows. If you buy a PSP now, it still doesn't include a memory stick unless you buy a bundle. So I don't see this changing.

The Vita isn't going to become irrelevant like the PSP. I don't expect the PSVita to sell like consoles or the DS but I don't see the PSVita doing bad either.

TL; DR: I really hope the PSVita will succeed and the price stay all the way through the end of the year. (Of course there will probably be holiday bundle but nothing that really justify the 10 month wait.)[/QUOTE]

DS Lite and DSI will likely go out of production (along with DSi XL). Having those on the market make little sense. Are they still even being made?

Sony cares very much about what it's competition does. You must not follow video games news very well.

Vita has a very uphill battle to climb. Retailers already chopped the PSP section into a small nugget, so if the Vita wants more space, it has to prove it can sell (like the Wii did with GameCubes very small space). It has to have more than 2 games a month come out. It has to price games decently. $50 for Uncharted is a joke. $40 is the magic number, as Capcom lowered the price of RE: Revelations just last week admits all the panic.

Anyway, I got my Ninja Gaiden and Shinobido pre-order. Looks like I'll be acquiring a Vita for a handful of dollars (literally), so I'll give it a spin when it arrives (hopefully in a few days). All the other launch games look pretty blah, and the only other thing of interest is Silent Hill.

[quote name='dallow']He means Wifi model + starter kit. (which does include a lot of nice goodies)[/QUOTE]I see. I didn't see the mention of the starter kit in his post but I get it now. Thanks.

I agree on the 3G comment. Also if Nintendo does a redesign on the 3DS, personally I will be done with them. And the way it's going, this is most likely going to happen. I'll go back to my DS backlog and that will be it for me. On another note Sony will eventually release a $250 bundle that includes a memory card and a game by the end of the year. Then by next year the price will drop to $200. From now until next year we'll see a couple of more must have titles. In that time period consumers will fill their memory cards with downloadable PSP games. Eventually Resistance, Call of Duty & Bioshock will come out that will be system sellers (bundles will follow later down the line). Motorstorm will drop on the Vita. Naughty Dog will blast out another Uncharted leading other developers to create similar action/adventure titles. A couple of zombie games will be released followed by a God of War title. Metal Gear will somehow bring itself on board. We'll see a lot of titles that utilize the PS3 to PSVita connectivity. More titles will appear where you pay once but play on both consoles. A lot of the touch screen and the track pad will be utilized in future titles, but not enough to justify the use compared to the d-pad/joystick/button controls. And..the list goes on...

[quote name='GizmoGC']DS Lite and DSI will likely go out of production (along with DSi XL). Having those on the market make little sense. Are they still even being made?

Sony cares very much about what it's competition does. You must not follow video games news very well.

Vita has a very uphill battle to climb. Retailers already chopped the PSP section into a small nugget, so if the Vita wants more space, it has to prove it can sell (like the Wii did with GameCubes very small space). It has to have more than 2 games a month come out. It has to price games decently. $50 for Uncharted is a joke. $40 is the magic number, as Capcom lowered the price of RE: Revelations just last week admits all the panic.

Anyway, I got my Ninja Gaiden and Shinobido pre-order. Looks like I'll be acquiring a Vita for a handful of dollars (literally), so I'll give it a spin when it arrives (hopefully in a few days). All the other launch games look pretty blah, and the only other thing of interest is Silent Hill.[/QUOTE]

I do follow gaming news closely. What I meant is that Sony does not give off a knee-jerk reaction to competitor's moves. Price drop is usually one of the last move you make to buid up demand. Eventually you'll reach a point where you can't drop the system's price any lower. For Sony's game plan which usually involves 10 year life, dropping the price early on is far from ideal.

I believe DSLite is being phased out but DSi and DSiXL are still being made. Those systems are selling extremely well so I don't see why Nintendo will kill those systems so prematurely.

I'm not saying PSVita doesn't have an uphill battle, every new system does but to say the price will drop in mere few months when the system isn't even out is just ridiculous. I don't know why everyone hangs on Uncharted's price when all the other games are priced at $30-$40.

[quote name='gokuofheaven']Metal Gear will somehow bring itself on board...[/QUOTE]

Not to derail this thread any further, but Metal Gear HD Collection has been confirmed for vita by Kojima with mysterious rear touch screen controls. Carry on.

Thank you for your recent Sony Computer Entertainment America PlayStation Vita Launch Bundle (SKU 2095647) pre-order on BestBuy.com. This e-mail serves to inform you that there was a content error on our site in which the product information was incorrect. The product information was actually for the PlayStation Vita First Edition Bundle (SKU 4026842). This error has now been corrected on BestBuy.com.

We want to make this right! We would like to offer you the PlayStation Vita First Edition Bundle at the price of $299.99, which is $50 off the regular price. The PlayStation Vita Launch Bundle includes an 8GB memory card, a PlayStation Network game and an AT&T DataConnect Session Pass; however, the PlayStation Vita First Edition Bundle includes a 4GB memory card, a PlayStation Network game, an AT&T DataConnect Session Pass, a limited edition PlayStation Vita case, and Little Deviants game. If you had intended to pre-order the PlayStation Vita First Edition Bundle and are still interested in this product, please contact us toll-free at 1-888-BEST BUY (1-888-237-8289) by February 12th, 2012 and we will place a pre-order for this item at $299.99.

I always miss all the good deals :(

[quote name='FierceDeityLink1']I always miss all the good deals :([/QUOTE]

Bestbuy honors the mistake but Radioshack doesn't.

[quote name='dubleo']Bestbuy honors the mistake but Radioshack doesn't.[/QUOTE]

try pricematch it if u printed the radio shack ad

[quote name='postnet92']try pricematch it if u printed the radio shack ad[/QUOTE]

Would the email confirmation work or a print out of the webpage?

If you had intended to pre-order the PlayStation Vita First Edition Bundle and are still interested in this product, please contact us toll-free at 1-888-BEST BUY (1-888-237-8289) by February 12th, 2012 and we will place a pre-order for this item at $299.99.

This makes it sound like I can still get it for 299 even though I didn't place an order. I'm going to call them. Anyone placed an order yet?

[quote name='Turkletont']If you had intended to pre-order the PlayStation Vita First Edition Bundle and are still interested in this product, please contact us toll-free at 1-888-BEST BUY (1-888-237-8289) by February 12th, 2012 and we will place a pre-order for this item at $299.99.

This makes it sound like I can still get it for 299 even though I didn't place an order. I'm going to call them. Anyone placed an order yet?[/QUOTE]

Keep us posted.

[quote name='dubleo']Would the email confirmation work or a print out of the webpage?[/QUOTE]

i usually do the listing

[quote name='postnet92']i usually do the listing[/QUOTE]

Do you mean to price match at Bestbuy or Radioshack?

bread's done
Back