PLEASE help with computer--Possible Motherboard Failure

basketkase543

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Basic Info: Windows XP SP2 PC, model: HP Pavilion, network adapter built into motherboard

Alright, so yesterday my computer suddenly freezes (which it's done about 2 times in the past three years) and I'm forced to restart my computer. When my computer boots up again and I try to log back on to the internet, it no longer lets me, saying "Connecting through WAN Miniport (PPPOE)... Error 769: The specified destination is not reachable."

So for the next 10 minutes i frantically try to keep logging on to the net and only get that same error message. I check out my network connections and see that I have none listed besides my dsl connection--meaning, the local area connection is gone. Then I check my device manager to see if it even lists my ethernet card. I'm obviously overjoyed to find that the "network adapters" category isn't even listed anymore. Where the hell did it go? Who knows.

I call my ISP tech support and they suggest that my network adapter might have suddenly become fried and that I'd have to buy a new network adapter. I then grudgingly go to Best Buy, buy a new network adapter, and install it in my comp.

I knew there was a problem when my PC booted up and it didn't give me the "found new hardware" message. Already feeling scared, I go ahead and install the drivers for the network adapter and cross my fingers that everything still works out okay and that I regain my internet access.

As soon as I install the drivers, I get the following error message "(Code 10) This device cannot start." I still go ahead and try my net again but no go.

Troubleshooting:
- I rinsed and repeated the process a few times (i.e. unistalling and reinstalling the hardware and drivers) but to no avail.
- I tried installing the card in the two other PCI slots, but no luck.
- I tried buying a different network adapter and doing all of the above with it, but also no effing luck.

So what the hell guys, are my PCI slots no longer being read by my PC? Since they're attached to my motherboard, how the hell do I fix them? Am i missing something here? A Circuit City "firedog" rep (I'd never heard of 'em either--they're the equivalent of BB's "geek squad") said that something might have fried in my motherboard but that it would cost me $60 just for a diagnostic check.

What should I do? Everything else in my comp is working just fine except for the network adapter and the PCI slots. I need some recommendations badly because I gotta get my PC connected back to the internet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(BTW, i'm using my laptop as my internet connection temporarily).

Well theres a few things that could have happened. You could have screwed up your motherboard or windows could have corrupted some driver files for your motherboard. This isn't usually the first thing I suggest, but I would do a reformat and reinstall of windows if you suddenly find either the new ethernet card or the old ethernet card then you know it was a corrupted driver file if not then yeah it sounds like your motherboard is screwed. My money is on software failures over hardware failures so thats why I suggest a complete reformat. On another note you could try out of desperation to hook your dsl modem up to your pc via usb assuming it has a usb connection and your computer is close enough to your dsl modem and you arent using a router, but this doesn't fix any problems other then possibly allowing you to get on the net with the brokish pc. It might be interesting to see if your USB still works thou. Anyways yeah I rambled try a reformat then let us know how that goes.

Well my usb works perfectly--really, everything works fine except for the onboard ethernet adapter.

As for it being a possible software/driver issue, i did a system restore which restored the windows settings to what they were a few days before the crash but no luck.

What really puzzles me is figuring out whether or not the PCI slots are dead or if the motherboard is just not accepting any network connections (if that's even possible...).

Should I just take it to Circuit City or Best Buy and have them run a severely overpriced $60 diagnostic test?

[quote name='basketkase543']Well my usb works perfectly--really, everything works fine except for the onboard ethernet adapter.

As for it being a possible software/driver issue, i did a system restore which restored the windows settings to what they were a few days before the crash but no luck.

What really puzzles me is figuring out whether or not the PCI slots are dead or if the motherboard is just not accepting any network connections (if that's even possible...).

Should I just take it to Circuit City or Best Buy and have them run a severely overpriced $60 diagnostic test?[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what the problem is.
BUT the only advice that CC or BB will give you after forking over $60 is that you need a new computer. They'll probably tell you that it will cost a few hundred dollars to fix "it" (I'm sure they'll make up a new term for it such as the "hyper intergalactic network protocol x7194 adapter") and that it will be cheaper to buy one from them instead.

[quote name='wbc1228']I'm not sure what the problem is.
BUT the only advice that CC or BB will give you after forking over $60 is that you need a new computer. They'll probably tell you that it will cost a few hundred dollars to fix "it" (I'm sure they'll make up a new term for it such as the "hyper intergalactic network protocol x7194 adapter") and that it will be cheaper to buy one from them instead.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I was thinking would happen. I'd pay $60 for them to run some space-age cd-rom that runs a diagnostic check only to tell me that I need a new computer. I'm really stumped with this one. The worst part is that nobody seems to have ever heard of this happening to them before.

Are there any other places I should ask for help?

When you connect the network cable to your computer and the dsl modem/router, does the dsl modem/router light up indicating a connection has been made? If it lights up, then it's possible that drivers have been corrupted (or has to do with software), if it doesnt light up, then it is not detecting a connection, which yields a bad end on the motherboard (which is less likely IMO)

Back up your important files first. Then try reinstalling your windows to see if you'll encounter the problem again. If you're getting the same problem, then you can reformat from ground up. Since you say you have an HP, you should have some sort of recovery CD that can help you install your computer from ground up. And that is also the same CD you will use to reinstall windows. Once you boot up w/ the recovery CD into the installation process, you'll be given options to either reinstall or format. So that's why before doing all this, you should backup your files first.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']When you connect the network cable to your computer and the dsl modem/router, does the dsl modem/router light up indicating a connection has been made? If it lights up, then it's possible that drivers have been corrupted (or has to do with software), if it doesnt light up, then it is not detecting a connection, which yields a bad end on the motherboard (which is less likely IMO)

Back up your important files first. Then try reinstalling your windows to see if you'll encounter the problem again. If you're getting the same problem, then you can reformat from ground up. Since you say you have an HP, you should have some sort of recovery CD that can help you install your computer from ground up. And that is also the same CD you will use to reinstall windows. Once you boot up w/ the recovery CD into the installation process, you'll be given options to either reinstall or format. So that's why before doing all this, you should backup your files first.[/QUOTE]

Well my modem has three lights: power, ethernet, dsl, and activity. When I plug in an ethernet cable into the network adapter attached to the motherboard (the one that I think died on me), I still get an ethernet light on the modem. When I unplug the ethernet cable, the light goes out. Same with the network adapter I plugged into my PCI slot. So oddly enough, the modem still recognizes a connection by showing the light but the PC just won't acknowledge the hardware.

It could be a conflict in managing resources. Try removing or disabling components that aren't necessary and test out your NIC.

I have actually seen something like this before. If you go to your Device Manager, are you getting an Exclamation Point by your WAN miniport driver?

[quote name='jalu6']I have actually seen something like this before. If you go to your Device Manager, are you getting an Exclamation Point by your WAN miniport driver?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it says "Code 10: the device cannot start."

I spoke with an hp rep through chat and he had me run PC Doctor to diagnose any problems. I specifically ran the motherboard PCI Bus scan and it showed no error. Man this is pissing me off.

Try uninstalling your old onboard nic thru device manager then rebooting and see if its redetected. If thats the case and it still won't work you might try assigning it a different IRQ address. I know that works on old dialup modems a lot, but I've never had to use it on a NIC. It might be worth a try thou. And a system restore isn't hardly as effective as a reformat.

[quote name='NoRain']Try uninstalling your old onboard nic thru device manager then rebooting and see if its redetected. If thats the case and it still won't work you might try assigning it a different IRQ address. I know that works on old dialup modems a lot, but I've never had to use it on a NIC. It might be worth a try thou. And a system restore isn't hardly as effective as a reformat.[/QUOTE]

I don't think I can uninstall it because it's not even listed under "network adapters," unless it'd be somewhere else.

[quote name='basketkase543']I don't think I can uninstall it because it's not even listed under "network adapters," unless it'd be somewhere else.[/quote]

It might be listed as an unknown device, look for yellow question mark or exclamation point symbol in Device Manager

The only way you'll know for sure is to remove the PCI NIC you added into the PC, and then wipe the PC out and start over from the Windows XP CD or from the recovery CD's. I'd also download the lastest NIC driver from HP's site and keep that handy after you wipe the PC and start over.

I'm not sure your system's motherboard is FUBAR, though I'm thinking Windows may be. If a diag CD didn't see any problem, then that makes me think it's Windows that's the issue.

[quote name='shrike4242']The only way you'll know for sure is to remove the PCI NIC you added into the PC, and then wipe the PC out and start over from the Windows XP CD or from the recovery CD's. I'd also download the lastest NIC driver from HP's site and keep that handy after you wipe the PC and start over.

I'm not sure your system's motherboard is FUBAR, though I'm thinking Windows may be. If a diag CD didn't see any problem, then that makes me think it's Windows that's the issue.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, doing a full reinstallation is next on my list and I'm dreading it. I have so many apps and settings that I've been used to for years that it'll be such a pain in the ass to get it back the way I like it. Of course, if it actually solves the problem than I could care less about the inconvenience.

[quote name='basketkase543']Yeah, it says "Code 10: the device cannot start."

I spoke with an hp rep through chat and he had me run PC Doctor to diagnose any problems. I specifically ran the motherboard PCI Bus scan and it showed no error. Man this is pissing me off.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this is definitely the problem. Your MoBo isn't fried, is a driver error. Either 1) your driver has been corrupt and won't let you load any networking resources or 2) you have a memory / IRQ conflict and that won't recognize any networking devices.

Did you install ANY programs or hardware in the few hours before this error occured? Could be anything, even a game that checks for updates over the web.

First, try this. Go into Device manager. Right Click on WAN Miniport Driver and click Uninstall. Hit OK until it lets you, then reboot the computer. That driver is Windows specific, so it should reload when the computer boots. Since it's Plug and Play, Windows should load it in a different IRQ address and clear up the problem automatically.

If that doesnt work, the driver is probably corrupted. You may need to use a Windows disk and Update the driver from the CD, since the PC will just keep loading a corrupt driver from it's cache. In the Device Manager, right click and select Update Driver. Don't let it go to Windows Update, make it let you choose a specific location (the advanced selection) and choose the driver cache on the XP cd.

Let me know how it works.

[quote name='jalu6']First, try this. Go into Device manager. Right Click on WAN Miniport Driver and click Uninstall. Hit OK until it lets you, then reboot the computer. That driver is Windows specific, so it should reload when the computer boots. Since it's Plug and Play, Windows should load it in a different IRQ address and clear up the problem automatically. [/QUOTE]

Okay, I'm trying that step but I can't find the Wan Miniport Driver in the Device Manager. Where would it be exactly? The only thing listed in the "network adapters" category is the network adapter I bought recently.

[quote name='basketkase543']Okay, I'm trying that step but I can't find the Wan Miniport Driver in the Device Manager. Where would it be exactly? The only thing listed in the "network adapters" category is the network adapter I bought recently.[/quote]

Im not sure but i believe he meant for you to remove the network card you bought first in order to diagnose and repair the onboard one. The addition of the card with your onboard hardware can cause many conflict errors making it very difficult to repair the device driver

I'd also check under 'sysetm devices' in device manager and see if the PCI bridge has a conflict. Hell, uninstall it and reboot to have it reapply the driver.

[quote name='CappyCobra']I'd also check under 'sysetm devices' in device manager and see if the PCI bridge has a conflict. Hell, uninstall it and reboot to have it reapply the driver.[/quote]

Nice Avatar

[quote name='michaema']Im not sure but i believe he meant for you to remove the network card you bought first in order to diagnose and repair the onboard one. The addition of the card with your onboard hardware can cause many conflict errors making it very difficult to repair the device driver[/QUOTE]

Well I went ahead and uninstalled the new NIC but I still can't find a "Wan Miniport Driver" anywhere in the Device Manager.

and there are no unknown devices listed either or devices listed with problems ie question mark symbol or exclamation mark symbol listed under device manager

[quote name='basketkase543']Well I went ahead and uninstalled the new NIC but I still can't find a "Wan Miniport Driver" anywhere in the Device Manager.[/QUOTE]

Wait, back at post #14 I asked if you had one and you said it was giving you an Error Code 10. Has it dissapeared?

[quote name='jalu6']Wait, back at post #14 I asked if you had one and you said it was giving you an Error Code 10. Has it dissapeared?[/QUOTE]

Does the WAN Miniport refer to the NIC that I bought? If so, then that it was had the Error code 10 and I uninstalled it.

[quote name='basketkase543']Does the WAN Miniport refer to the NIC that I bought? If so, then that it was had the Error code 10 and I uninstalled it.[/QUOTE]

No, WAN Miniport is the actual name of the driver. It should be under the Network Adapters category in the Device Manager. If you don't see it at all, go to View (on top) and check "Show Hidden Devices".

Let me know if you see anything with Xs or Exclamation Points there.

[quote name='jalu6']No, WAN Miniport is the actual name of the driver. It should be under the Network Adapters category in the Device Manager. If you don't see it at all, go to View (on top) and check "Show Hidden Devices".

Let me know if you see anything with Xs or Exclamation Points there.[/QUOTE]

Ahh, thanks for the tip, I didn't know there was hidden drivers to look at. I have about 8 items under the "network adapters" category:

- Direct Parallel
- Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
- WAN Miniport (IP)
- WAN Miniport (IP) - Packet Scheduler Miniport
- WAN Miniport (L2TP)
- WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
- WAN Miniport (PPTP)

None of them have x's or exclamation points--they all look pretty normal. Which of the many WAN Miniport's should I uninstall?

Nope, the whole thing was one big failure. My PC wouldn't let me uninstall any of the WAN Miniport drivers so I ended up doing a full blown windows reinstall and that didn't help the problem either. So I've spoken to HP and after trying numerous things it was concluded to be a motherboard failure because the network adapter and the PCI cards are on the motherboard. I'm going to send my PC out to HP and have them replace the motherboard.

Did I mention this all happened a month after my warranty expired. Damn it all.

Thanks for everyone's help though, I really appreciate all of your efforts to make this work.

HAv you tried poping in another Windows HD in the computer then checking to see if it picks up the PCI card slots?

Do you have other devices that use the PCI slots and are they reading?

Have you tried using a Virus scan program like Noadware or checking to see if you have any viruses?

Otherwise were you doing anything specific that would cause this?

bread's done
Back