Please let this thread die.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcorlett

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
[edit: Letting this thread die because Bonobos has since started a generic thread for GamersGate deals. Use that one instead, please.]

This arrived in my mailbox this morning. The most notable thing here is Civ 5 for 66% off - that's $17!!!! But Friday only.

------------------------------------------------------------

2kweekbanner.jpg

It's 2K Games Week at GamersGate, and we're celebrating with discounts on lots of great games. And that's not all, we also have some incredibly wallet friendly daily deals!

2K Games Week Daily Deals
Thursday: Civilization IV Complete Edition - 75%
Friday: Sid Meier's Civilization® V - 66%
Saturday: Mafia - 75% & NBA 2k11 - 66%
Sunday: X-COM Complete Pack - 75%

-----------------------------------------------------------

Civ 5 is a Steamworks game; it can and must be activated on Steam. buying it at GamersGate is almost exactly the same as buying on Steam - you get a code from GG, you put the code into Steam, your game downloads from Steam. No fuss. (But good luck getting Civ 5 for $17 during the Steam summer sale - this is a fantastic deal.)

Finally - in b4 "Civ 5 sucks, I prefer Civ 4" -- if you haven't played Civ 5 in the last couple of months, you're missing out. They just released another massive update on 6/27. This game started off as a dud, but it's officially FIXED now, no doubt about it. [edit: As Lord_Zath points out below, some aspects of multiplayer are still not right. Firaxis says that are working on that for the next patch.]

Mafia for 75% off is pretty good too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow... I would really like to just see this over at steam for the summer sale. I would officially buy it for $10

Man that is cheap for Civ V.

Hmm to buy from GG, wait for Steam summer sale, or wait for GOTY/Complete version with all DLC? Argh!

[quote name='Hyperlancer']Just to make sure, activating the Civ5 code on Steam makes it playable on Macs too, correct?[/QUOTE]

Although I am not a representative of 2K, Firaxis, GamersGate, or Steam, I think we can say this is a safe bet. It's a "Steamplay" game on Steam, and on GamersGate the store page features this logo:
platformLogoWinMac.png

There is simply no way to buy this game on Steam without having it for both platforms.

[quote name='Xealot42']Man that is cheap for Civ V.

Hmm to buy from GG, wait for Steam summer sale, or wait for GOTY/Complete version with all DLC? Argh![/QUOTE]

I think you'll be waiting a long time for a Complete pack that is really well-priced. They keep pumping out updates. Civ has always been on a (roughly) 5-year cycle, with 2 expansions, at the 1-year and 2-year mark. The good "everything" pack shows up at the 3-year mark, and it costs $40 or $50, and doesn't really get cheap until the NEXT version is getting close.

I can tell you this tho - I have the base game only and I am not burning for any of the DLC. Maybe the Polynesian one for the new at-sea gameplay mode. But for maps, the game has in-game access to the modding community. You can sort modders maps by popularity and just pick and choose from the best of them.

I bought the base game on sale for $30. My strategy for the DLC will be to just get a piece or two every time it's on deep discount at Steam.

So far, the best price on Steam has been 40% off the base game ($30) and DLC. My gut instinct says that it'll go to 50% off during the summer sale. But cheaper than $17? Not a chance.

[quote name='Hyperlancer']Just to make sure, activating the Civ5 code on Steam makes it playable on Macs too, correct?[/QUOTE]

BNIel.jpg

Since Steam officially adds the Windows+Mac icon to any games which supports both, I'm almost positive that purchasing the code on GamersGate will activate both the Windows and Mac version of the game. Also including the fact that this is another Steamworks game makes me strongly believe that it would unlock for both platforms.

[quote name='justme99z']Wow... I would really like to just see this over at steam for the summer sale. I would officially buy it for $10[/QUOTE]

You may be holding your breath for a long time. As of now, Steam is still selling it at MSRP. Steam MAY discount Civ5 for 66% during the summer sale, making it $16.50. But chances of that happening are slim. Bottom line, it ain't gonna get much lower any time soon.

For those interested in multiplayer, keep in mind that it is still a work in progress. Many issues still, which apparently is one of the focuses for the next patch (2 months from now). A new patch is supposedly being released soon with some large changes to the game. It is a far cry from the piece of crap it was when it was released. I still feel burned by preordering it, and still feel like I have yet to get my $100 worth (bought two copies so wife and I could play together).

For $10-$20? Hell yeah, get this game. Just keep in mind that if you plan to play multiplayer, you may be better off buying it now and not bothering to try it for a few months.

DLC wise, they seem to release new DLC every time a patch is released. DLC is overpriced for what you get, though some people really like it. The last release pissed people off because the civ was "denmark" and not "vikings". The one before it, Polynesia, had some good success. Read the forums for more info - forums.2kgames.com

Thanks gcorlett and immanewb, definitely going to pick it up tomorrow. Also curious about whether the UK version will work or not.

Ooh, $17 is tempting, but if the UK price pans out, that's a no-brainer. Even though I've yet to really touch Civ IV. I'm such a sucker.

[quote name='FadeToOne']Have they fixed it being slooooooow as all hell once you get to the mid 1900s and later?[/QUOTE]

It's much faster now... but the game does have high hardware requirements. If you play it below the "recommended" requirements, it can be slow especially with larger maps and more AI on the map, and there's not a lot you can do about that. Buyer beware.

With a modern computer, it feels fine.

[quote name='MaddyTears']Would you say it is still pretty unplayable as multiplayer then?[/QUOTE]

If you'll only play multiplayer, then wait for the next patch. I suggest "Like"ing Civilization 5 on Facebook; they don't spam much, and they give you a heads up when each patch is coming.

In this patch, they brought back "hotseat" multiplayer, and there is talk of Play-by-email again. Woo!!!

I'm usually an idiot when it comes to playing PC strategy games but this game was just so easy and fun to get into that I instantly fell in love with the demo. I decided to wait on a fairly well-patched version to come along before I bit on it, though. Glad I did :) I simply cannot wait to pick this up tomorrow :D:D:D

Yeah, I'm curious about buying the UK version. Is there any difference between the US and UK version? And if I live in the US (and have a US Steam account) would there be an issue with me buying the UK version and attaching it to my account? Or will they potentially ban my Steam account for that?

I intend on buying the UK version tomorrow, too. I don't think you'll get banned for trying; you're not stealing anything, so it would, at worst, be a regional lockout. I'll be the guinea pig for this; it's worth it, and I'll post how it goes here as soon as I do (10amPST).

[quote name='NeoGutsman']I intend on buying the UK version tomorrow, too. I don't think you'll get banned for trying; you're not stealing anything, so it would, at worst, be a regional lockout. I'll be the guinea pig for this; it's worth it, and I'll post how it goes here as soon as I do (10amPST).[/QUOTE]

See I don't know. I've heard stories of people buying Steam keys for new games from what seem like shady websites. Turns out they're supposedly legitimate keys, but they're from a different region (Russia usually I think). And I've heard of some people getting their accounts banned for using them since they're not from the same region. I've got way too many games to risk losing my account so that's why I figured I'd ask around first.

Oh, I see what you're saying now...

Well, for what it's worth, I did manage to purchase the game through GG's UK site a few minutes ago (same login) for their sale price. I was also able to register it through Steam. After entering in the code, I got the confirmation message in Steam:

Activation Successful!

Your Civ V Gamersgate Retail product code has successfully been activated.
Etc...​

Good luck, and if you're worried about the Steam issue then you can be safe at least in knowing GamersGate is totally legit anyway. I have purchased a lot of games from them with zero problems. No Steam Achievements, but the game is so great that I wouldn't have minded even if I couldn't register it. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='gcorlett']It's much faster now... but the game does have high hardware requirements. If you play it below the "recommended" requirements, it can be slow especially with larger maps and more AI on the map, and there's not a lot you can do about that. Buyer beware.

With a modern computer, it feels fine.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think my computer handled it a lot better than some people complained about, but once I got up to about 2005 it was taking about 5 minutes between turn changes.

Just nabbed Civ 5 off GamersGate UK site. It cost more like $11 because of PayPal's crappy exchange rates, but still awesome price on the game. Downloading the game via Steam now. :)

I can also confirm that the UK Civ 5 works fine on my US computer and I have no technological skills. And thanks to NeoGutsMan and Eldredpe for convincing me to use GamersGate. 11.xx for the game.

[quote name='AoA']I can also confirm that the UK Civ 5 works fine on my US computer and I have no technological skills. And thanks to NeoGutsMan and Eldredpe for convincing me to use GamersGate. 11.xx for the game.[/QUOTE]

No problem, friend! CAG is great for getting a reading on other digital download services. I wasn't sure about GG until I read a lot of good (and well-deserved) reviews about their service. It made me feel more confident about going outside of Steam and GOG.com for purchases, and therefore saving more money (for more games *yoinks!*).

Thanks, OP. Downloading now. One problem I'm having now is it's so slow! Got a message from Steam saying they're having a server overload right now. :(

I bought the game at $50 and don't regret it one bit. Check out civfanatics forums for an awesome community (strategy, mods, etc). A couple months ago people were scrambling to buy this for $2x bucks... $11 is a STEAL!

[quote name='monkeyz']Hey guys I didnt think it needed another thread but just to let you know both direct2drive and amazon have matched this deal. Here are the links enjoy, maybe you have some credit for amazon to burn or coupon for d2d, either way both activate on steam and are worth it.

http://www.direct2drive.com/9611/product/Buy-Sid-Meier’s-Civilization-V-Download

http://www.amazon.com/Sid-Meiers-Civilization-V-Download/dp/B004774IPU/[/QUOTE]

Aw man, you rock. I was just about to pull the trigger on gamersgate but will use my excessive amazon credits.

I think you guys will be fine buying it off the UK site, but i believe steam has pulled some non-region games off accounts before. You certainly will NOT get banned, but there is a possibility that your game will disappear from your library based on what i have heard and read from others.

[quote name='looploop']Is there typically an exchange fee for purchasing something from abroad online?[/QUOTE]

Depends on your card. Some cards charge an extra 2% and others don't. I believe Capital One is usually free for all cards.

[quote name='callmewoof']I bought the game at $50 and don't regret it one bit. Check out civfanatics forums for an awesome community (strategy, mods, etc). A couple months ago people were scrambling to buy this for $2x bucks... $11 is a STEAL![/QUOTE]

Same here. Well worth the $50 I paid for it.

If it makes any difference to new GG customers, everyone gets a free copy of "Volve: The Game". It's an okay racing game, and a nice freebie. Doubt that will sway anyone, but thought I'd throw that out there, hah!

[quote name='mkaliaz']
I think you guys will be fine buying it off the UK site, but i believe steam has pulled some non-region games off accounts before. You certainly will NOT get banned, but there is a possibility that your game will disappear from your library based on what i have heard and read from others.[/QUOTE]

You don't need to worry, even though they sell it in their UK site its not a regional game. You can check it in Steam, if its appear on your store page then it would be a worldwide version.

[quote name='monkeyz']Hey guys I didnt think it needed another thread but just to let you know both direct2drive and amazon have matched this deal. Here are the links enjoy, maybe you have some credit for amazon to burn or coupon for d2d, either way both activate on steam and are worth it. [/QUOTE]

You cant buy that game if you're not in the region included in game info, for me Gamersgate come with no restriction on it. Thats why I love to use their service. Oh yeah and that VOLVO games is free by the way... They give ity for free for a new customer. And you seriously don't need to worry, gamersgate is legit!

P.S: I think direct2drive put Civilization on sale because of their "guarante cheap" system. lol

The multiplayer issues may exist, but I've never experienced them. I've played a couple of games with friends, and saving functions properly (autosaves each turn) and loading the saves has never been an issue. Lag is never an issue either. Once or twice a player's connection has dropped, but it wasn't even difficult getting them back in to the game without having to quit out or anything. This is a very good game. If you are looking for a deeper experience, I'd go for CivIV instead, but I find that the presentation of CivV is so very nice I almost don't miss those elements. CivV is still an incredibly deep game, and CivIV was arguably almost complex too a fault. Both deserve to co-exist next to one another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back