Please Lock This Thread, No Longer Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
This might be a more advanced question but I'll give it a shot anyway:

I want to get the NCAA rosters downloaded onto Madden when it comes out. I don't want to buy a memory card, but instead hopefully through a file download. Would that work if I already have my 360 linked to my internet and I have Windows Media Connect working?

Forgive my laziness but I can't find the answer to this question through search or on the OP of this thread, I just got my 360 today so I'm a little unfamiliar with it:

In the first post it says that the 360 can download 6 different things at the same time, but I haven't been able to figure out how to get my 360 to allow me to do this. Right now I can only download one at a time, all the other demos are "Pending" when one is dowloading, then when the one at the top of the list finishes the next one starts. I'm assuming theres a setting I need to change to let me DL 6 demos simultaneously? Thanks for the help.

[quote name='whiteboy']Forgive my laziness but I can't find the answer to this question through search or on the OP of this thread, I just got my 360 today so I'm a little unfamiliar with it:

In the first post it says that the 360 can download 6 different things at the same time, but I haven't been able to figure out how to get my 360 to allow me to do this. Right now I can only download one at a time, all the other demos are "Pending" when one is dowloading, then when the one at the top of the list finishes the next one starts. I'm assuming theres a setting I need to change to let me DL 6 demos simultaneously? Thanks for the help.[/QUOTE]

at the same time means pending... before you had to wait till one download was done before choosing your list of downloads. Now you can just load up a list of 6 things and then the system will do the rest. Don't worry about it, you're doing everything fine.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']at the same time means pending... before you had to wait till one download was done before choosing your list of downloads. Now you can just load up a list of 6 things and then the system will do the rest. Don't worry about it, you're doing everything fine.[/QUOTE]
Ok thanks. I've got another question/comment:

My 360 says that its HD capacity is 14 GBs, is it supposed to be that low? I thought the HD was supposed to be 20 GB, now that I look on the box it just says "Hard Drive" nothing about the capacity. I know hard drives aren't usually exactly the capacity they list but 6 GB off is more than I've ever seen, is the other 6 GB taken up by the OS or something like that?

[quote name='whiteboy']Ok thanks. I've got another question/comment:

My 360 says that its HD capacity is 14 GBs, is it supposed to be that low? I thought the HD was supposed to be 20 GB, now that I look on the box it just says "Hard Drive" nothing about the capacity. I know hard drives aren't usually exactly the capacity they list but 6 GB off is more than I've ever seen, is the other 6 GB taken up by the OS or something like that?[/QUOTE]

when you format a hardrive it uses up some space and whatever (dont remember some reasons). it's a 20 gig, but not a true 20 gig. Like most things, I have a card that's 1 gig for my PSP, but it's more like 9000 mb instead or so. Dont worry about it. Plus there's a 350 mb video of the 360 development on there you can always erase.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']when you format a hardrive it uses up some space and whatever (dont remember some reasons). it's a 20 gig, but not a true 20 gig. Like most things, I have a card that's 1 gig for my PSP, but it's more like 9000 mb instead or so. Dont worry about it. Plus there's a 350 mb video of the 360 development on there you can always erase.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I erased all the videos and music that was already on there (there were like 6 videos and I have no idea how many songs). Still already ate up 5 GBs of space with demos and a few CDs so only 9 GB left. Thanks for the help.

media center question

I'm trying to watch video on my 360, the videos work fine on my pc, but when i try to play it on the 360 i get a blue screen that says CANNOT PLAY VIDEO: the file type is not recognized and cannot be played. Either the correct codec is not installed or the file is corrupt.

Most of my files are video clips, they work on the pc so they are not corrupt. Do i have to convert them all into something else, so they can run on the 360.

also does anybody know a cheap price on a good tv tuner. I got directv i heard some tuners dont work well with satellite.

[quote name='osmosis11']media center question

I'm trying to watch video on my 360, the videos work fine on my pc, but when i try to play it on the 360 i get a blue screen that says CANNOT PLAY VIDEO: the file type is not recognized and cannot be played. Either the correct codec is not installed or the file is corrupt.

Most of my files are video clips, they work on the pc so they are not corrupt. Do i have to convert them all into something else, so they can run on the 360.

also does anybody know a cheap price on a good tv tuner. I got directv i heard some tuners dont work well with satellite.[/quote]

AFAIK you can't play videos, not sure if this will change with Windows Vista but I've heard that there's no video playback through Media Center.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']AFAIK you can't play videos, not sure if this will change with Windows Vista but I've heard that there's no video playback through Media Center.[/QUOTE]

I thought the media center was for video, while windows connect was for everything else?

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I thought the media center was for video, while windows connect was for everything else?[/quote]
You're right. It is possible through Media Center:

View Video from a Windows Media Center–Based PC

When you connect your Xbox 360 console to a Windows Media Center–based PC, you'll see all available video content listed on the Video screen in the Media area of the Xbox Dashboard.
To view video content from a Windows Media Center–based PC:
  1. Visit www.xbox.com/pcsetup to download and install the appropriate software for your Windows Media Center–based PC.
  2. After you've installed the software, make sure your Xbox 360 console is connected to your PC using one of the following:If your console already shares a router with your PC for Xbox Live access, your PC is effectively already connected your console. Please be aware, however, that wireless streaming between your PC and your console requires an 802.11a network connection, which is faster than the 802.11b and 802.11g standards.

XUAcrosslinkPointer_14.gif
    To learn about home networking, see Home Networking Basics.
  3. Turn on your Xbox 360 console and go to the Media area of the Xbox Dashboard.
  4. Select Media Center, then browse your PC to select the file you want to view.
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/digitalmedia/viewvideo.htm
Hope that helps osmosis11

Has anyone tried using the Xbox 360 Wireless Adapter? I'm interested in buying the 360, and am in the midst of moving my computer upstairs, now I just purchased a Wireless router and all that. So is it as simple as they say? Plug in the adapter to the back and it picks up the connection?

I figured I'd ask this question here. Does the COD2 GOTY edition only come with the 'Skirmish' maps? You don't get the other map pack?

[quote name='Trakan']I figured I'd ask this question here. Does the COD2 GOTY edition only come with the 'Skirmish' maps? You don't get the other map pack?[/quote]
Correct

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Correct[/quote]

That's really lame. You don't really get all that much in this GOTY edition. I guess I'll be playing without them.

[quote name='ph33r m3']Has anyone tried using the Xbox 360 Wireless Adapter? I'm interested in buying the 360, and am in the midst of moving my computer upstairs, now I just purchased a Wireless router and all that. So is it as simple as they say? Plug in the adapter to the back and it picks up the connection?[/QUOTE]

I bought one from ebay and am very happy with the connection quality and speed. It is as simple as the adverts indicate, just plug-in and play.

Is it better to buy a warranty from Microsoft or from the retailer (like Best Buy/Circuit City)??

What exactly do I get from these warranties? New system, or free repairs?

Just a quick question, I've not heard too much about the systems dying on people as I did at launch. Has Microsoft more or less resolved that problem on the current batch of systems?

[quote name='daroga']Just a quick question, I've not heard too much about the systems dying on people as I did at launch. Has Microsoft more or less resolved that problem on the current batch of systems?[/quote] Well I see that the Coffin Thread on here is getting less and less frequent posts, and I have not had a friend on Live (except maybe 1, not sure about him though) had a 360 crash in a while. Completely solved the problem? Who knows. I would still buy a warranty even today as I did with my launch system, because you can never be too sure about these kinds of things.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Well I see that the Coffin Thread on here is getting less and less frequent posts, and I have not had a friend on Live (except maybe 1, not sure about him though) had a 360 crash in a while. Completely solved the problem? Who knows. I would still buy a warranty even today as I did with my launch system, because you can never be too sure about these kinds of things.[/QUOTE]

And is it better for your experience to go with the Microsoft Warranty (I think $60 for two years, $30 for one year) or go with someone like Best Buy and Circuit City?

I'm just confused what the warranty gives you in case the Xbox 360 turns to a coffin. Do I get a new Xbox 360 or they repair it.

Sorry, I asked this qustion above, bu I really want to know. I am really close to considering buying an Xbox 360.

[quote name='Requiem']And is it better for your experience to go with the Microsoft Warranty (I think $60 for two years, $30 for one year) or go with someone like Best Buy and Circuit City?

I'm just confused what the warranty gives you in case the Xbox 360 turns to a coffin. Do I get a new Xbox 360 or they repair it.

Sorry, I asked this qustion above, bu I really want to know. I am really close to considering buying an Xbox 360.[/quote]
I would go with the Microsoft warranty. I don't know if there is any difference, it's based solely on preference. The warranty will provide a new 360 for you, as long as you make sure not to void the warranty in any way (see the OP link to the warranty .pdf file to check up on everything). Besides that question, do you have any more? Is there anything I should add to the OP for potential buyers like yourself?

Just got my 360 on friday--and I was wondering about the MS extended warranty also.

I noticed my manufactured date is 4/1/2006, which is fairly recent...I'm still concerned about the box dying however.

Do I have some time before I have to buy the contract, or do I need to do it within 10 days like the form says, even though I have no idea how they would prove you did it within ten days anyway?

Ideally, i'd like to hold off on the contract, but in the event that my 360 does die within the next few months, could I buy the two year plan at that point, and send it in for repairs after I get the confirmation?

Thanks guys.

I would go ahead and get it, granted, I got mine a good 6-7 months after purchase. The reason I say go ahead and get it now is if you wait after 10 days or so and your 360 DOES die, you may be penalized from Microsoft in the form of $$.

Thought I would do a 9/11 update for this thread, so I added a new picture for the thread, updated links to other parts of the site, updated PlayAsia games, and a couple other various things. Lemme know if there should be more added.

[quote name='doctorfaustus']I bought one from ebay and am very happy with the connection quality and speed. It is as simple as the adverts indicate, just plug-in and play.[/QUOTE]I'm very interested in getting a WiFi adapter, for I don't have to have tons of cables all over my apartment, but I'm unsure about paying ~$100 for it.

I just got my Xbox shipped to my hometown today (I bought an Xbox 360 from somewhere who posts here occassionally, so that's part of the reason my gamercard is up), but I won't receive it at my apartment for a few days. This thread has really helped me a lot, since I haven't been too familiar with Xbox 360 (I seriously didn't think I'd get one this year).

[quote name='The Mana Knight']This thread has really helped me a lot, since I haven't been too familiar with Xbox 360 (I seriously didn't think I'd get one this year).[/quote]:cool: awesome, glad to see people actually look at this thread. Definitely ask a question (especially if it has been overlooked by the OP) if you run into any problems with your console, and, of course, enjoy!

What is error code 74? I only get it sometimes when I start either my HDTV or Xbox 360 before one or the other. Does it mean my 360 is defective? I didn't buy a warranty when I got it from CC, but can I still go back and get one?

[quote name='Fire']What is error code 74? I only get it sometimes when I start either my HDTV or Xbox 360 before one or the other. Does it mean my 360 is defective? I didn't buy a warranty when I got it from CC, but can I still go back and get one?[/quote]Funny you ask that, I was just adding an Error FAQ to the OP.

Error 74 has to do with the AV cables. Try using a different AV cable (this could also be a problem with the internal AV encoder chip).

Planning on getting a Premium this weekend. I'm considering getting the Microsoft warranty, but just had 1 simple question:

If my systems dies, and I need to send it in for replacement, can I keep my hard drive? Obviously, I'd lose any progress/downloads I have on the first hard drive when I sent it in, so would they send it back with the replacement system? Or does Microsoft send a new hard drive as well?

I didn't see this question posted, so I apologize if it's been overlooked.

[quote name='shieryda']Planning on getting a Premium this weekend. I'm considering getting the Microsoft warranty, but just had 1 simple question:

If my systems dies, and I need to send it in for replacement, can I keep my hard drive? Obviously, I'd lose any progress/downloads I have on the first hard drive when I sent it in, so would they send it back with the replacement system? Or does Microsoft send a new hard drive as well?

I didn't see this question posted, so I apologize if it's been overlooked.[/quote]All the warranty tells you to send back is the console itself. It says nothing about faceplates, HDs, or other accessories that come with the system itself.

Where can I find the manufactured date for a 360?

EDIT: And also, if my mom would get me a 360 for Christmas, but she'd buy it this month, would she have to send in the warranty before Christmas? Or is there a way I could fill the warranty out when I get it on Christmas day?

You should add this link to the main topic:

http://www.gamersreports.com/article/19

It shows how to make a gamertag for other regions, so that you can get access to their specific marketplace to get content exclusive to them. Its especially handy for TGS Bringing it home event since Japan is getting a few exclusives. Ex: Tenchu demo, Project Slypheed movie, etc.

[quote name='Lieutenant Dan']Where can I find the manufactured date for a 360?

EDIT: And also, if my mom would get me a 360 for Christmas, but she'd buy it this month, would she have to send in the warranty before Christmas? Or is there a way I could fill the warranty out when I get it on Christmas day?[/quote]

I don't think it would be a problem. They dont ask you for a proof of purchase. You just have to register your console IIRC on xbox.com. You should be fine purchasing the warranty after X-Mas.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I don't think it would be a problem. They dont ask you for a proof of purchase. You just have to register your console IIRC on xbox.com. You should be fine purchasing the warranty after X-Mas.[/quote]

Cool, thanks. Does anyone know the answer to my first question?

I just bought a new 360 that will arrive through the mail shortly. In the meantime I'm worried about storage options for my 360 and would appreciate any help from 360 owners/experts. Note that I plan on buying the extended warranty the moment the 360 arrives.

[quote name='First question']
Is overheating still a concern on later (post-first run) 360s, and will it be a concern in my cabinet configuration (indicated below)?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Second question']
If overheating is a concern, what can I do that will prevent it but will keep my extended warranty intact?[/QUOTE]
I plan on keeping the 360 in a large enclosed cabinet at all times (including during play). I want to set the 360 vertically. It will have 2" clearance to one side, a minimum of 5" to the other side, ~2" clearance on top, and ~10" clearance in the back.

I really want to keep it in the cabinet if at all possible. Doing so will keep the living room looking good (I don't like to have video game stuff laying around). I'd also like to store it vertically if possible to free up room for games and for the Wii when it arrives.

I've played a lot on a friend's launch 360, and that friend insists that if I don't want the 360 to overheat, it has to be kept out in the open at all times placed horizontally. I think my friend is a good guy, but I also know him to be an idiot on many issues, and it seems strange to me that MS would design a console that can't be stored in a cabinet like many PCs and other electronics before it.

[quote name='More Little Questions']
  1. Should I get an "Intercooler" (though I'm reading bad things)?
  2. Will the use of an Intercooler void my warranty (that is, can MS tell when I send it in for repair/replacement if an Intercooler has been attached)?
  3. Should I store the 360 horizontally in the cabinet and rest it on a laptop cooling pad?
  4. If I rest it horizontally in the cabinet, may I rest other materials (games, Wii) on top of the 360?
[/QUOTE]
Thanks for any help.

dothog, if I were you, I'd keep the 360 out in the open, just to be safe. You could always put it in there and then check how hot it gets after a couple of hours of gaming. Your friend doesn't know what he's talking about. I've had mine vertically since I bought it, and haven't had any problems. You should be fine.

1. Yes and no. It's really up to you. It does keep the console about 10 degrees cooler than when you don't have one on. I have one, and it recently crapped out on me. I'm sending it in to get a new one for free though. The first batch of these have some problems. The newer batch come in a box rather than plastic packaging, and are supposed to have fixed any problems they've had. Personally, I'd say go with the Intercooler, even though they make the system a lot louder.

2. It won't void your warranty and MS has no way of knowing that you used one.

3. What way you lay the console is personal preference. People will tell you it runs better horizontally or vertically, but it's really up to you. No way is worse than the other. Not sure how much help the cooling pad will really do you.

4. There shouldn't be a problem putting a gamer or two on top of it, but I wouldn't overload it with stuff.

Just got my new 360 hooked up last night. I still need to hook it to my receiver, but at least I got the Halo 2 and Call of Duty 2 map packs downloaded. I'm buying some points today, and possibly a plug-and-play.

Hooray for next-gen gaming!:bouncy:

Hey guys, nice thread by the way,

anyway, my question concerns my brother's and my own account on the same xbox. I made my account a long while ago, and soon after that, my brother's account was made. My brother's account is under my email, since he didn't have one at the time. Is there anyway to change his email on xbox.com or on XBL? thanks

[quote name='thamaster24']Hey guys, nice thread by the way,

anyway, my question concerns my brother's and my own account on the same xbox. I made my account a long while ago, and soon after that, my brother's account was made. My brother's account is under my email, since he didn't have one at the time. Is there anyway to change his email on xbox.com or on XBL? thanks[/quote]I would imagine that there is a way to change it on the console itself. I just browsed through Xbox.com and couldn't find a way to change the email settings. I can't be of any help with trying it on Xbox Live, however, because I have no access to Live here at my dorm. Can someone else give it a shot? Once this problem gets resolved I will add a whole new section to the OP about creating the gamertag and bring up issues like this.

[quote name='thamaster24']Hey guys, nice thread by the way,

anyway, my question concerns my brother's and my own account on the same xbox. I made my account a long while ago, and soon after that, my brother's account was made. My brother's account is under my email, since he didn't have one at the time. Is there anyway to change his email on xbox.com or on XBL? thanks[/quote]

I don't believe that there's a way to change it. I had a problem like this a while back, my sister wanted to join XBL and I set her up, but because her email indicated she was underage, it gave us a hard time setting it up, so I set it up under one of my other emails, she then created another email and we tried to switch it back and got no where. If there is an option I could not find it, I however, did not call support, maybe they have the answers. Let us know if you find anything that works, I would love to know as well.

I just got my 360 the other day and I'm already getting Disc Read errors. Dead Rising to be exact. I don't play for more than 2 hrs a t a time. Also I have it perfectly ventilated.

I'm getting a little ticked here, I purposely stayed away from a launch 360 for this reason, I'd figured MS would have a majority of the kinks worked out by now. So far it seems just as problematic, if not more than my original Xbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back