pmG is going to sell messiahStudio5 (CG Software) for $10 (normally $499)

Fernando Rocker

CAGiversary!
Here is the link: http://www.projectmessiah.com/x6/shop.html

" We're doing an unprecedented viral test marketing campaign where your success in sharing this offer will allow you and others to get our amazing award winning animation and rendering software ( messiahStudio5 ) for the unheard of price of just $10 (regularly $499) or choose the Pro version for just $40 (regularly $1195). When this experiment ends, the prices will return to normal.

This is the same software that studios and individuals, in more than 60 countries of the world, have been using to create visual effects for some of your favorite movies, commercials, games and music videos; and now you can get it at a no excuses price, if you "Dare To Share™". People using our software have been nominated for Academy Awards, and changed their lives creating things they'd never thought possible on their own. CG Animated Features, Visual Effects, Consumer Product and Architectural Visualization, Simulation, Plugin Development, Smart Phone App Animation and Game Development Export; What will you do?

Everyone needs a chance to show what they can do. That chance is more often limited by money; maybe that's you, maybe that's someone you know; a parent, a friend, some students of yours. We got a chance to prove what we could do starting out, and now we're giving one to you. It's the best deal we've ever offered, and a chance you'll probably never have again. Order now to reserve your copy; we will accept no crying if you miss out : )

Rules: Everyone can only receive their license when the goal is met. That's your incentive to spread the word and share the offer.
This offer is open to: Individuals, small businesses, hobbyists, starving artists, the unemployed, schools, students, CG studios, game developers, plugin developers, architects, tinkerers, compositors and aspiring movie makers, in any country. Limit 4 copies per customer, mix and match.

We will update the progress bar so you can see where you're at in reaching that goal. When the bar reaches the end, we will close out the offer and no further orders will be allowed; no exceptions. In the event the goal is not met, we will simply refund everyone. Whether you get the software for this amazing price is up to you, and how well you get the word out.

If you need to purchase licenses of the software to use right now for a project, you can purchase them normally HERE -> Buy Normal, and if the goal is met from this offer, you will be refunded the difference in price between the equivalent version you purchased, and the Dare To Share™ special.
If you are already an owner of version 5, and also meet the offer requirements to purchase this special, please see the **note at the bottom of the page. "

They are also selling the Pro version for $40 (normally $1,200).

I have no clue how to use it, but for the price I'm tempted to grab all 4 LOL

Is this legit? A bit scary that they take your money and then refund you if they don't hit their goal.

Cool ... this seems like an awesome promotion for something I normally would never buy. What the hell, might as well grab a Pro version and check it out

[quote name='Pookymeister']Debating buying the $40 version - will it wind up being a waste of money? Perhaps[/QUOTE]

I think that boils down to how serious you end up wanting to be with the program. $40 is a pretty damn great price for some animation software, but in the end, it's gonna probably have a steep learning curve and you'll really have to apply yourself to learning the all the little features of it. But hell, for $10 or $40, with a potential refund, there's not much to lose.

So if I'm running a 64 bit OS with quad core processors, the Pro version was a better option anyway right? Not that my system is a powerhouse by any means but the optimization should help if I want to seriously learn the program right?

This is actually a good idea for the company. They might get hundreds of people paying $10, but only a small handful will ever even use the software, so it is like they only sold a few for the combined proceeds.

But I have no idea how much this is actually worth. It could be some outdated version of something nobody uses for all I know.

[quote name='thegreek']I'm going to start my own game studio: Greek games.[/QUOTE]

...and I'm sure it'll be a tragedy. Ba-dum ding

Not a game deal obviously, but definitely intriguing. I already have something for 2D animation but for $10 I can't really lose out on trying some 3D animation tools. I wish their site gave a better description of the program though

Does anyone know what the min hardware specs for this software is? I'm interested but I'm using a 5 year old laptop and not in a position to buy a new one right now...

This is intriguing, but yeah, I'm also wondering about the legitimacy of this, and whether the company will be around long enough after this sort of sale to support their software.

This would be up there with the oddest, and probably most useless thing I've ever bought, but on the slight chance i could actually figure it out, it might be worth it for the $10/$40 price. I found this info in the Messiah Wiki, these are some big name (but old...) movies that had some effects made with it. Version 5 came out December 2010 from what i can tell, so its not old tech, and I haven't seen anything about the company going under or anything. Maybe they figure big studios who want it, already have it. Seeing if there is a casual market for this I guess, and encouraging people to learn the software

Messiah has been used for character animation and the creation of VFX shots in a number of feature films and shorts, including the following:

They probably figure the sales from people who never heard from them X (whatever their required figure is) is more money than they would normally see from people who would pay normal price.

[quote name='Xenogears'] Version 5 came out December 2010 from what i can tell, so its not old tech, and I haven't seen anything about the company going under or anything. Maybe they figure big studios who want it, already have it. [/QUOTE]

Your post inspired me to write a complete tangent and general note on bleeding edge adoption.

From my experience working at a video production house and in game development at EA, it's rare that you work with the latest versions of software packages. This is especially true at places where they don't actually need any of the new features and retraining people on the "new" way to do things could be an unnecessary expense or could affect time-critical projects. Companies want to squeeze as much use out of that major purchase as possible, and mission-critical pipelines & plugins are generally only supported with already established, older versions of tools.

There really is such a thing as "good enough," and there are also times when the money saved by increasing efficiency (as in "time is money") isn't actually enough to justify the outlay for new tools.

New versions get bought or sampled by a tiny group of leads to experiment with to sort out the kinks and decide if it's worth rolling out to the rest of the production team. Or perhaps that new feature only needs to be used for a very specific task and there's no need to buy everyone the new version.

When I went to school for my Masters degree, I think the artists were able to go through three versions of Maya (hooray education partnerships/licensing!). Unfortunately, the engines we were working with did not quite yet have fully-compatible plug-ins for the new versions of Maya. So they had to fall back to working in the older versions! When many of us went off into the real world, the software packages were even older than what we'd started with at school.

Certainly, there are studios that are pushing the limits of technology and require (and most likely even help advise the development of) each new iteration of their software tools, but they do so knowing the risk that they are pioneers and *will* have some rough spots where things don't work quite as advertised. Heck, just look back at some of the horror stories of when Unreal Engine 3 was new.

I'm extremely tempted to buy 4 copies of the pro, but I just can't do it. Training new employees or finding people to use it just isn't worth the hassle. Plus, who knows how well their FBX exporter is at getting the models into a game engine. I'll put that $160 towards another $3000 3DS Max Product >_

[quote name='scarhawk']Is it worth it for someone who has ZERO experience w/ programming and animation/modeling? :p[/QUOTE]

lol most definitely not. I would get an Autodesk student product. WAY more documentation.

[quote name='scarhawk']Is it worth it for someone who has ZERO experience w/ programming and animation/modeling? :p[/QUOTE]

Same question from me also!

Same. I wouldn't mind learning and I have wasted $40 on more stupid stuff.

Tempting, but I'm too busy with work and my gaming hobby to really devote any time to use this even though it's so cheap.

Of course:bouncy:

From what I can tell, this looks to be only for animation and rendering. You would need to do your modeling in some other program. That said, the more common modeling packages (Max, Maya, Blender, etc) should have their own animation/rigging and rendering features built-in.

For people just wanting to get started and tinker from scratch, this *does not* appear to be an all-inclusive package. As Darknuke said, you'd be better served with something more mainstream with more documentation, more community, and more support.

[quote name='Pompi00']If I buy it, can I sell it for more?[/QUOTE]

I am now more interested in this question than the original post, now realizing that without a modeling component and no experience in any of this, I have now potentially wasted $40 ;)

[quote name='scarhawk']Is there a free all-in-one package that I can test if I think it's worth devoting time to?[/QUOTE]

I'm not really in the art/animation field, so I don't know if anything's risen up to challenge Blender in the "free" category, but I know this was a popular option even going back a decade-ish ago.

http://www.blender.org/

Also check out this list (taken from Wikipedia):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_computer_graphics_software#Free_packages

ADDENDUM: Autodesk also has free trials for their products (incl. 3D Studio Max & Maya). http://usa.autodesk.com/

[quote name='scarhawk']Is there a free all-in-one package that I can test if I think it's worth devoting time to?[/QUOTE]

I'm not 100% sure, but I think Blender might be all inclusive. Though it might only be a modeling program. Zbrush is another cheap alternative to SUPER HIGH poly designing.

Edit: damn, beaten by seconds...

Is Autodesk Maya better? I can currently get a 1 year or 3 year (?) trial for Autodesk Maya for free from Autodesk's student community website, since I'm still in college at the moment, and don't really want to waste $10 if it's the same thing.

[quote name='skateraXVIII']Is Autodesk Maya better? I can currently get a 1 year or 3 year (?) trial for Autodesk Maya for free from Autodesk's student community website, since I'm still in college at the moment, and don't really want to waste $10 if it's the same thing.[/QUOTE]

Maya is more common (dare I say ubiquitous?) in the creative industry and is more self-contained (pipeline wise: modeling through rendering). I can't speak to how they compare feature-to-feature.

It seems to me that the reasons one would buy MessiahStudio are that...

A.) Maybe MessiahStudio has a unique feature or does something better than your existing art package (ie, you use this instead of or in addition to your other art package)

or B.) You already do your modeling in some other cheaper/free software and need to add a cheap a la carte package to rig/animate/render (ie, you buy this to fill a gap in your production pipeline). MessiahStudio (full-priced) is ~1/4 the price of Maya, for example. Just like building your own PC, you can potentially save money by cherry-picking the individual tools you need rather than buying a giant all-in-one suite.

Again, I'm not an expert in the current state of the art re: computer art, but this is my viewpoint as a Producer who would need to worry about what tools my art team would need.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is an animation & model rendering software.
It is not a tool that you can use to "create" 3D models.

Last edited by a moderator:
love the description for autorig v3:

Not so techy? In a rush? Lazy? Welcome to high production! With AutoRig3 a fantastic professional rig is mere minutes away

if you ever rigged one mesh you would know its a pain in the ass to do right.

Really tempted to grab this just to play with it, but ultimately it will just serve as another depressing reminder that I have no art skills whatsoever. :cry:

I know I posted this deal, but after doing some research, I think Blender would be a much better option for beginners like you and me (and it's free).

[quote name='Pompi00']If I buy it, can I sell it for more?[/QUOTE]

VERY good question :lol:

Only way I can think of them blocking this is by tying the serial to your email maybe?

For those that would be interested in learning how to use this software, 3D Buzz intends to offer training videos if the deal goes through.

bread's done
Back