PNY thumb drives don't work on PS3 / bad CS story

SentryOmega

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
So I got a "HP" v125w 16GB thumb drive from Fry's Electronics but support and manufacturing is handled by PNY. Anyways, when plugged in I got the error that the device was locked even though there isn't a locking mechanism on it. It's formatted correctly as FAT32 and a few people are having the same issue online:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3&thread.id=4123577
http://forums.afterdawn.com/t.cfm/f-153/flash_drive_for_ps3-801760/
http://forums.gametrailers.com/thread/need-help--quot-unlocking-quot/939558
http://boardsus.playstation.com/pla...ps3&view=by_date_ascending&message.id=4186007 (same issue but no mention of model)

Before I continue with my story: one of the primary reasons I bought this was because it said it supported game consoles and had a picture of the PS3 on the front of the box.

dscf0049y.jpg
dscf0049y.jpg

Today I tried to see what was up and called PNY support. 1st CSR said since it was correctly working on PC they can't do anything about it. 2nd CSR says they know about the problem but can't do anything so I ask to speak to supervisor. Supervisor says they can replace it but only for same model. I ask for a different model because there is nothing technically wrong with mine and his manager says no. When speaking to his manager he says after talking with the engineers that they know it doesn't work with it and that they don't have 1 single flash drive that will work with the PS3.

Now, either they are bullshitting me or they're telling the truth. If anyone can verify this that would be great but moral of the story is don't buy HP branded PNY products or products from PNY in general.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have a slim PS3 or a fat model PS3? If you have a slim PS3, it may be that the recent firmware update caused the issue(s) you're having.

As for me, I have a PNY flash drive and I've had no issues using it on my PS3. Maybe you just got a dud?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Do you have a slim PS3 or a fat model PS3? If you have a slim PS3, it may be that the recent firmware update caused the issue(s) you're having.

As for me, I have a PNY flash drive and I've had no issues using it on my PS3. Maybe you just got a dud?[/QUOTE]
Definitely not a dud as it seems that other people on various other forums are having the same problem with the model that we've got (see the links in the original post) as well as other threads found via Google as well. However, it also effects the smaller sizes as well.

The head guy/manager in technical support told me that not one of their current flash drives will work on the PS3. His words, not mine (I also made sure to get his name). As far as older PNY products not working I don't really know. This is the reason why he wouldn't give me a same size, different model in exchange. It's entirely possible though that this might only affect new PNY products and not necessarily older ones.

I do own a PS3 Slim which is what I tried it on. He did say they tested their product on the PS3 (didn't specify which one) and also found it to be not working. So it sounds as of now that you should still be careful if you're looking to buy one and plan on using it for your console.

I'd get a replacement of the same model and take it back to Fry's when it came and never deal with PNY again (Assuming they sent you the exact same one you bought, sealed and all, of course)

[quote name='Paco']I always saw PNY as shady with memory. I use Sandisk and they work great.[/QUOTE]
Yeah unfortunately it makes HP look bad too because it's under their name. If I wouldn't have known it was made by PNY I wouldn't have gotten phone support because HP doesn't offer it through their number and if I believe it doesn't say it anywhere on the box.

Thats sucks man using those drives on a 360/PS3 to make it a media center is one of my favorite things about those consoles. I even say it rivals the amount of time I use them for gaming, Although is streaming not an option for you. After Vuze added that function I haven't touched a thumb drive

Count me as another who didn't know PNY made the HP thumbs. Bought one Black Friday from Staples. Eh, it was cheap enough so I could keep it away from the PS3.

Still sleazy of PNY to misrepresent their products.

[quote name='SentryOmega']Now, either they are bullshitting me or they're telling the truth. If anyone can verify this that would be great but moral of the story is don't buy HP branded PNY products or products from PNY in general.[/QUOTE]

Correct. HP might have been a great company once but now they just make money by using sleek marketing to sell sub-par laptops, plastering their logo on cheap junk and selling expensive ink cartridges.

I don't buy cheap junk electronics anymore - you always end up paying for it in the end.

[quote name='Brownjohn']I've used a 8GB pny and a 4GB sandisk with my ps3 slim with no issues.

Edit: Here's the amazon link for the pny drive I have: http://www.amazon.com/PNY-Attache-F...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1260296002&sr=8-1[/QUOTE]
Yeah it seems as if that guy was bullshitting me or again it might only affect newer drives. Technical support does lie through their teeth all the time.

Again, here's someone else:
http://forums.gametrailers.com/thread/need-help--quot-unlocking-quot/939558

[quote name='NoahFaldo10']Man F HP. I bought an 8GB 100vw whatever whatever flash drive of theirs and it doesn't read either. Same deal as you man FAT32 and all that. It's stays "locked" acording to the PS3 when I try and use it.
I bought a Sony Vault crazy cheap at a Target, works perfect![/QUOTE]

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3&message.id=4115674#M4115674

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='camoor']Correct. HP might have been a great company once but now they just make money by using sleek marketing to sell sub-par laptops, plastering their logo on cheap junk and selling expensive ink cartridges.

I don't buy cheap junk electronics anymore - you always end up paying for it in the end.[/QUOTE]

My one buddies' brother-in-law has an offbrand LCD tv and it's a great tv for being a 'junk' brand(Protron).

It's all up to personal preference, but to me if the 'junk' brand does the same thing and is a third of the price of the name brand item, I'm going to buy the offbrand nearly every time.

You guys should do what I do and only get cheap flash/thumbdrives. They always get cheaper and cheaper as technology advances and I've seen tons of special deals for $10-$15 8GB flashdrives. If you happen to not be able to get those deals, I see 4 GB flashdrives sell for $10 all the time.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']My one buddies' brother-in-law has an offbrand LCD tv and it's a great tv for being a 'junk' brand(Protron).

It's all up to personal preference, but to me if the 'junk' brand does the same thing and is a third of the price of the name brand item, I'm going to buy the off-brand nearly every time.[/QUOTE]

You have to take into account quality and customer support though as well. While these junk brand TV's may look relatively equal to a name brand model at the start, they often degrade quicker since they use cheaper parts, and their customer support is usually always crap/a hassle.

I'll pay the premium to have the Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, etc... name on my television because of that reason alone. I know if I have a problem, those companies will be there and not out of business in three years. I know that the parts inside them are, for the most part, quality.

In the long run, does it really benefit you by buying a junk brand TV every three years for say $500, rather than getting the Samsung for $900 that will last you for awhile, and if there is a problem, you can easily get it fixed.

[quote name='SEH']You have to take into account quality and customer support though as well. While these junk brand TV's may look relatively equal to a name brand model at the start, they often degrade quicker since they use cheaper parts, and their customer support is usually always crap/a hassle.

I'll pay the premium to have the Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, etc... name on my television because of that reason alone. I know if I have a problem, those companies will be there and not out of business in three years. I know that the parts inside them are, for the most part, quality.

In the long run, does it really benefit you by buying a junk brand TV every three years for say $500, rather than getting the Samsung for $900 that will last you for awhile, and if there is a problem, you can easily get it fixed.[/QUOTE]
I doubt that a known brand is that much better than offbrand. We've had to replace items for certain items we had bought over the years from lesser-known brands and the items were almost always, if not always, for free. Samsung and other 'premium' brands will probably be better than lesser-known brands most of the time, but they cost so much more at times that it's better to go with the offbrand item. It's like when you see designer clothes for hundreds of dollars; the quality may be better, but the the clothes are not worth the money that you could spend on other offbrand clothes.

[quote name='SEH']You have to take into account quality and customer support though as well. While these junk brand TV's may look relatively equal to a name brand model at the start, they often degrade quicker since they use cheaper parts, and their customer support is usually always crap/a hassle.

In the long run, does it really benefit you by buying a junk brand TV every three years for say $500, rather than getting the Samsung for $900 that will last you for awhile, and if there is a problem, you can easily get it fixed.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I would go for the $900 one as well, but that's not exactly 1/3rd of a price different. If it was say $500 compared to $1500 then it's a completely different story.

Speaking of TVs though and as a person who frequents Fry's Electronics regularly keep an eye on their newspaper deals because their TVs frequently jump up and down a few hundred dollars almost week to week. It's insane. The customer service is horrid but at least they have a decent return policy.

[quote name='Crusher09']You guys should do what I do and only get cheap flash/thumbdrives. They always get cheaper and cheaper as technology advances and I've seen tons of special deals for $10-$15 8GB flashdrives. If you happen to not be able to get those deals, I see 4 GB flashdrives sell for $10 all the time.[/QUOTE]
This was a 16GB for $30 (off from $40) with a $10 mail-in rebate that would make it $20. For obvious reasons though I haven't sent anything in though.

bread's done
Back