Pocket Retro Game Emulator: Way cool and (probably) way controversial

Javery

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
This thing looks pretty cool and well worth $100.

bd6f_pocket_retro_game_emulator.jpg
The Pocket Retro Game Emulator looks a bit like the GameBoy Micro but that's where the similarities end. Load on NES, SNES, GBA, Sega Genesis, or Neo Geo roms and play your old favorites in the palm of your hand. With 4GB of built-in storage and a mini SD slot for expansion you can bring every single game from the best classic consoles with you. Of course in typical all encompassing gadget style you can also play movie files, audio files, use the built-in FM radio, view jpg images, Read E-books, do voice recording etc...
LINK

That does look like it would violate all sorts of copyrights. Of course, the hardware itself doesn't come with any of the games. But I can't help but think Nintendo will do its utmost to get a device like this removed from the market. (in much the same way that they have campaigned against R4 carts)

I'm a little surprised that ThinkGeek is selling this item. I'm also sorely tempted to pick one up. (though of course I would neve advocate piracy)

I thought everyone used their PSPs for this. Granted my PSP never seems to emulate stuff correctly.

Looks like a GBA micro, and I must admit it's quite nice.

[quote name='Strell']I thought everyone used their PSPs for this.

Looks like a GBA micro, and I must admit it's quite nice.[/QUOTE]

That's the ONLY thing I use my PSP for - this looks to be 1/3 of the size and has all most* of the functionality. I better get one before they are gone...

* No GB/GBC???? I hope that is just a typo or something...

That looks 100 times better than the FC mobile / II . Though the screen looks pretty small. That and I know nothing about roms or emulators. I must be the only person on the face of the planet that has a psp has never done that = /

[quote name='Richard Kain']That does look like it would violate all sorts of copyrights. Of course, the hardware itself doesn't come with any of the games. But I can't help but think Nintendo will do its utmost to get a device like this removed from the market. (in much the same way that they have campaigned against R4 carts)
[/QUOTE]

You can still get flash cart easily, and nintendo done nothing aganist piracy on ebay.

For only $100 too, that sounds pretty good, and the design is simple and nice. Lol, I'd get this, but I"ll probably get a Wii to enjoy most of the retro console games.

[quote name='LostRoad']That looks 100 times better than the FC mobile / II . Though the screen looks pretty small. That and I know nothing about roms or emulators. I must be the only person on the face of the planet that has a psp has never done that = /[/QUOTE]

i was the same way a few years back and even now im surprised at all you can do with a ds. if you want to know more check out youtube people post al kinds of videos there on that.

[quote name='Jest']$100 seems steep to be honest.[/QUOTE]

Think about it for a second. Most hardware platforms are sold at close to cost, or even for a loss. They can do that because they make the money back on software sales. That's how the PSP started out.

But with a device like this, they aren't intending to ever make any money off of software. So all of their profit has to be made off of the initial sale of the hardware. That's why they have to charge more for this than a GBA.

[quote name='lokizz']i was the same way a few years back and even now im surprised at all you can do with a ds. if you want to know more check out youtube people post al kinds of videos there on that.[/QUOTE]

Na, I don't. My ignorance on them is by choice. I got a psp a few months after they came out and just have zero interest in roms or emulators. DD is not something I am fond of just like to have a physical copy of games is all. Old and set in my ways.

meh. you can get a PSP used for around the same price and get better emulation on all those systems + near perfect PS1 emulation (and, well, PSP games, fwiw.) I wouldn't trust the build quality of these things either. It's smaller, I'll give it that...not that I play games in public anyway.

[quote name='62t']
3532038504_da7e301696.jpg

Dingoo next to PSP, DS, and micro

372c9468.jpg

Dingoo vs DS Lite[/QUOTE]

whats the battery life like on that thing?

I actually got mine today from dealextreme (I posted in another forum to no response) $85 shipped. The GBA emulation is very good out of the box as the the movie playing.

I honestly have no desire to MOD my PSP.

It's got component. So can you hook it up to a TV and go at it plug n' play style?

It looks pretty sweet. I'd like one to play some old SNES RPGs on the run.

[quote name='Strell']I thought everyone used their PSPs for this. Granted my PSP never seems to emulate stuff correctly.

Looks like a GBA micro, and I must admit it's quite nice.[/QUOTE]

They sell emulators for the PSP? I've never seen this anywhere.

[quote name='maximumzero']They sell emulators for the PSP? I've never seen this anywhere.[/QUOTE]

Im pretty sure only the PSPs with the old firmware could emulate it and none of the newere ones can though (at least the last time I checked).

Anyway, anyone knows how the saves work? From the description it says you can save and start again, but does it have a file save system where you can play multiple games with mulitple saves? or do you have to save once and beat that game before starting anything else? Cause it could be worthwhile if it could save anytime, and multiple times if possible.

[quote name='tankass']Im pretty sure only the PSPs with the old firmware could emulate it and none of the newere ones can though (at least the last time I checked).

Anyway, anyone knows how the saves work? From the description it says you can save and start again, but does it have a file save system where you can play multiple games with mulitple saves? or do you have to save once and beat that game before starting anything else? Cause it could be worthwhile if it could save anytime, and multiple times if possible.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure all PSPs can be used for CFW.

As for the save files, typically saving a game creates a .sav file for the emulator to read. Also, most emulators have save states which allow you to save a game anywhere at anytime so when you load it up you don't go to a save file within the game - you just load your save state and start exactly where you left off. This is very helpful for getting through tough sections of games without worrying about where the developers put their save points (great for portability too because you can play a minute at a time if you feel like it).

The colors look sharp on the screen. Although its the same style as the GBA micro, it looks like its more the size of a DSlite.

Like someone said, the cheapest place to get the Dingoo is dealextreme.

[quote name='chakan']The colors look sharp on the screen. Although its the same style as the GBA micro, it looks like its more the size of a DSlite.

Like someone said, the cheapest place to get the Dingoo is dealextreme.[/QUOTE]

Saw them here at DasCheap for about the same price $79.88... have em in white too! Got mine from them.

there's crapload of handheld emulators and nintendo neversued anyone. GP2X is probably the best one since it's linux based(plus emulate crapload of consoles and arcades)

[quote name='kube00']Sorry to bump such an old thread I was thinking abut getting one of these or a
GP2x
http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/retro-gaming/bfc7/
[/QUOTE]

This is the one I own, got it last year for Christmas and I love it. However my wife got it cheaper, think she spent $100 on it over at Thinkgeek.com But it looks like they're out of stock.

Like I said I love this thing. I got more use out of it the past year than my PSP and DS combined. Used it to play a ton of oldschool stuff I never beat when I was younger. Use it to play NES, Genesis, SNES and TG-16 games. Appreantly it can do GBA games but I haven't gotten it to work. Everything else works fine expect a few SNES games (Kirby 3, Kirby SSS, and a few others) I think I need to mess with a options but I haven't taken the time to figure it out.

I bet MAME runs on these things although I find 4-way games almost unplayable on devices like these and those are most of the games I like to play.

This looks awesome! If it has a TV out function that would be nice whenever you want to play on a big screen.

Being able to carry around all your NES/Gen/SNES/SMS/GB/GBC/GBA/MAME games on one GBA Micro sized device would be awesome.

bread's done
Back