Pokemon-1st season or Super Mario Bros Show Vol. 2?

FallMoon

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I'm a huge fan of the first couple seasons of pokemon, and I want to buy pokemon for nostalgic value, but it has less content and is about $9 more. I've never seen any of the Mario brothers show episodes, but I'm sure I'd like it. The pokemon dvd would have a lot of nostalgic value, but has its downsides. If any of you have either of these dvds, tell me how you like them.

The mario brothers show is crap. It was crap even back in the day when it first aired, much less now. The zelda show, however, was actually pretty good. This could be because they produced 4 marios a week but only 1 zelda. It's kinda of cute to see the mario characters animated, but that's about it. Go with Pokemon.

Edit: One amendment to that. The live action bits of the mario show are actually quite funny. If the dvd includes those, it might be worth it. However, again, if it's just the animated show, avoid like the plague.

[quote name='FallMoon']I'm a huge fan of the first couple seasons of pokemon, and I want to buy pokemon for nostalgic value, but it has less content and is about $9 more. I've never seen any of the Mario brothers show episodes, but I'm sure I'd like it. The pokemon dvd would have a lot of nostalgic value, but has its downsides. If any of you have either of these dvds, tell me how you like them.[/QUOTE]

Link for the Pokemon?

I wasn't aware there was a whole first season box set..is it new?

I'd wait on Pokemon because they're bound to box it eventually. The closest thing to a box release of it at the moment is the chracter specific "best of's".

I bought the first volume of SMBSS and it was so boring I couldn't watch one episode without falling asleep. The first season of Pokemon on the other hand was pretty good; in my opinion the best season in the series. I couldn't imagine volume 2 of SMBSS being any better so I'd go with Pokemon.

No Japanese?

I love the Pokemon dub [only good dub ever..]

but there's no point in buying this over bootlegs when the bootlegs have english, spanish, and japanese, and the originals just ONE language?!

[quote name='sarausagi']there's no point in buying this over bootlegs [/QUOTE]

You're kidding right? It's people like you that keep the bootlegs around and cause prices to get jacked up on new anime releases. Not to mention keep good anime off the market because companies don't want to take a chance with a show that has a huge bootleg following.

I'd say SMB. If you liked the show back then, you'll probably like it just as much now. I mean, it's one of those shows that you know is corny and not that well done, but it's really fun to see Mario and the gang animated. I love popping it in and watching it whenever I'm feeling nostalgic.

For Pokemon, I can wait until they start releasing all of the official seasons to get it. Plus, they still play them on TV sometimes.

[quote name='Rihan']You're kidding right? It's people like you that keep the bootlegs around and cause prices to get jacked up on new anime releases. Not to mention keep good anime off the market because companies don't want to take a chance with a show that has a huge bootleg following.[/QUOTE]

I don't own Pokemon bootlegs: I buy all my anime. I have legitimate, R1 Fullmetal Alchemist complete, large box R1 Platinum EVA, all original R1 Sailor Moon up to SuperS, and several other anime in their R1 original packaging

I have wanted to buy Pokemon for a LONG time but will not buy it because what's out there isn't what SHOULD be out there: I want English and Japanese with subtitles on one set, and I also want the WHOLE FIRST SEASON, this set is just 28 episodes, not even a third of the real pokemon season one. It's not even a logical story arc, the last episode on this set is Hypno's nap time I think.

[quote name='sarausagi']I I have wanted to buy Pokemon for a LONG time but will not buy it because what's out there isn't what SHOULD be out there: I want English and Japanese with subtitles on one set.[/QUOTE]

That'll never happen as I don't think Viz even has license rights to do it, and they sure aren't going to go after them this late in the game.

I have wanted to buy Pokemon for a LONG time but will not buy it because what's out there isn't what SHOULD be out there: I want English and Japanese with subtitles on one set, and I also want the WHOLE FIRST SEASON, this set is just 28 episodes, not even a third of the real pokemon season one. It's not even a logical story arc, the last episode on this set is Hypno's nap time I think.

Do you honestly think anyone would spend $100 per season of Pokemon? It seems unlikely. I haven't watched the set yet but I do own it and I actually owned the original dvds but due to space problems decided to go with this box. And just so you know, there is no legit R1 complete set of Fullmetal Alchy.

To the OP, I loved mario when I was a kid. I recently suffered through vol 1, it seriously doesn't hold up and don't bother with zelda either, it was even worse.

28 episodes is a lot, and is roughly the usual number of episodes in a season of tv.

[quote name='wolverinefactor']I have wanted to buy Pokemon for a LONG time but will not buy it because what's out there isn't what SHOULD be out there: I want English and Japanese with subtitles on one set, and I also want the WHOLE FIRST SEASON, this set is just 28 episodes, not even a third of the real pokemon season one. It's not even a logical story arc, the last episode on this set is Hypno's nap time I think.

Do you honestly think anyone would spend $100 per season of Pokemon? It seems unlikely. I haven't watched the set yet but I do own it and I actually owned the original dvds but due to space problems decided to go with this box. And just so you know, there is no legit R1 complete set of Fullmetal Alchy.

To the OP, I loved mario when I was a kid. I recently suffered through vol 1, it seriously doesn't hold up and don't bother with zelda either, it was even worse.

28 episodes is a lot, and is roughly the usual number of episodes in a season of tv.[/QUOTE]

So you're saying my Volumes 1 through 12 with metal boxes and special edition Shambala are not complete? What am I missing?

That's not a definition of a complete set. You bought individual volumes, which is different than buying a complete set (which is something that contains all of the episodes for one price.)

[quote name='sarausagi']and I also want the WHOLE FIRST SEASON, this set is just 28 episodes, not even a third of the real pokemon season one.[/QUOTE]It's pretty common to release a box set of a partial season these days (Thundercats, for example). I don't think it's worth holding out for a set of the "complete" first season... it's either gonna be this, or a complete series set (if they ever release one). And hey, at least they're not releasing a vague "volume 1" set that just includes a handful of episodes in random order.

bread's done
Back