Pokemon Black 2 & White 2 (Fall 2012 in US/EU)

KingBroly

CAGiversary!
http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-video-games/pokemon-black-version-2-and-pokemon-white-version-2/

Don't every say Nintendo hates your money

Coming this June to DS in Japan, TBD for everywhere else at the moment, but I'm sure it'll come out in short order.

Some are also speculating that it will involve Ruby & Sapphire somehow, given the logos of the games.

EDIT #1: 3/12/12
According to CoroCoro, Black 2 and White 2 will be "new games" and not like Emerald or Platinum, i.e. a re-skin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome news, I've never played a Pokemon game but have always wanted to try one. Still don't see enough on 3DS to interest me so I'm happy to see this on DS.

The one reason why I'm excited for this Pokemon is because I have this weird feeling they'll have a different progression structure than just trying to get 8 Gym Badges.

What is this I don't even....

Personally, this gen was my least favorite out of all of them. B/W themselves were enjoyable, but the Pokemon just completely sucked. Aside from Hydra and Chandelure, there weren't meant competitive toons. D: I hate how EV training in Platinum ruined my experience with Pokemon. ._.

[quote name='pete5883']I guess now we know what they'll do when they run out of colors.[/QUOTE]

Red 2
Blue 2
Yellow 2
Gold 2
Silver 2
Crystal 2
Ruby 2
Sapphire 2
Emerald 2
Fire Red 2
Leaf Green 2
Diamond 2
Pearl 2
Heart Gold 2
Soul Silver 2

All according to plan.

[quote name='pete5883']I guess now we know what they'll do when they run out of colors.[/QUOTE]

Where is my Purple and Orange versions?

[quote name='ex0']Disappointed it's not for 3DS :([/QUOTE]

Ditto! I personally dont like the look of DS games on the 3DS. They should be making it for the 3DS in order to force ppl to adopt the new platform.

[quote name='momouchi']Where is my Purple and Orange versions?[/QUOTE]

NOWAI! should be Chartreuse and Violet!

Very happy that I can play this game without having to buy a new system!. If there is a 3DS only feature then I can use my cousin's 3DS to see it, but since I can't see in 3D anyways I don't think I will be losing out on much.

On one hand if they made this exclusively for the 3DS they would probably sell millions more handhelds. If they made only for the 3DS they also risk the fact that people who aren't willing to take the plunge on a 3DS system would just backlash against it and wait it out until they were ready to buy the new system, which might result in a loss of sales of the game.

They can always milk Pokemon later on for system sales by releasing a 3DS only Pokemon, so this seems like a nice way to bridge the gap, kinda like the GB games also played on the GBC and regular GB, only better and in color.

B&W was my least favorite mainly due to the fact that whenever you fought wild pokemon your pokemon would die within 1-3 hits regardless of what level the Pokemon was. They need to reprogram these games to be more balanced, as B&W were not balanced at all. If these were someone's first Pokemon games this could have been a horribly frustrating experience and a turnoff of the Pokemon franchise. But still, coming from someone who finds most video games too difficult and frustrating, Pokemon is one of the easiest and least frustrating games I have ever played in my life. Its either because I have become a seasoned fan after playing all of them from the GBC to now or because they are just easy altogether. You can always get through a Pokemon game if you level enough and if you are willing to work hard at it. There are no action parts to fail and then have to try over and over again.

Regardless I will be buying this day 1 with my Gamestop gift cards from e-rewards! This is the only game series that I am willing to purchase day 1.

[quote name='SaraAB']B&W was my least favorite mainly due to the fact that whenever you fought wild pokemon your pokemon would die within 1-3 hits regardless of what level the Pokemon was. They need to reprogram these games to be more balanced, as B&W were not balanced at all. [/QUOTE]

Not sure what you mean here.

It's stat based just like it has always been. No different from any other gen.

Yeah I actually found White to be fairly easy compared to older gen of pokemon and finished the game very quickly. I was a little turned off by the lack of difficulty.

The puzzles have gotten easier in the recent gens which probably contributes to the easier difficulty. Again I am not sure if it is because I am a seasoned Pokemon fan so I already know what tricks they are going to pull or a sheer lack of difficulty. Again I am not a person who thinks video games are easy at all in general, so this is quite an unusual statement to come from me. The puzzles in the first gen games were HARD, I had to pour over strategy guides for hours just to figure out where the rocks were supposed to be pushed etc..

With B/W I blew through the whole game in like a month (despite the unbalanced fighting mechanics), which is unusual for me, as it usually takes me 3-4 months of constant playtime to finish a Pokemon RPG. That was kinda disappointing, as I expected the game to last me longer than that. After that I just put the game down and got bored, seems like everyone else did the same thing.

What I mean about unbalanced mechanics is when you are going through the game normally your pokemon seem to die in 1-2 hits when fighting wild pokemon, when in previous games you would last a lot longer in the wild before having to heal. This is not just me either, many other people on this very site reported the same problems, I just don't feel like going back to the B/W thread to find all the posts.

Yes it is stat based but I assume its possible that they just made wild pokemon more powerful in this gen (perhaps higher level) so that you would intentionally be under leveled when you progressed to a new area.

Hmm, you know the wild battles were a bit harder this time around, but i felt that was a good thing considering how easy they were in previous games. Also since they had tall grass that had higher level pokemon it was much easier to slip a newly caught pokemon into your party and not need to grind him up to make him useful.

Kind of excited about this. Could this be an actual Pokemon sequel? That'd be a first. Black and White had the best story of any Pokemon game so it'll be nice to see them expand on that story with sequel.

Some of the speculation I've read has been interesting, like possibly playing as N in this game. That'd be pretty cool. Hoenn being included would be nice, too.

I imagine in this game you'll be able to Prestige Pokemon. Get to Level 100 and you'll have to opportunity to reset it to Level 1 without de-evolving it or losing your current move set. As a reward for doing so, your Pokemon gets a Ribbon of your Choice.

Not really, but I'm not sure anyone knows what to expect. I want a different progression formula and maybe something like 'Start here in Black 2, start somewhere else in White 2,' which is something I heard they were going to do for the originals. Still, after thinking Black & White were going to be my last Pokemon games, I'm pretty interested in this one for the hope of change.

I agree that I thought this Gen was completely underwhelming. I was initially really excited when they announced Unova would be based on the US but was really disappointed with the results. I also found the music and the new Pokemon to be pretty weak too.

It'll be interesting to see what they do. Hopefully it'll be different enough from what they've been doing for the past 12-13 years. We can all speculate, but all I want to see is a willingness to try something different.

I don't think Unova was based on the US at all, and I have no idea where people get that idea besides the one city and the curvy bridge.

Pokemon Black/White was the first Pokemon game that I dropped before getting to the Elite Four. Maybe I'm just older now. Considering I've played an entry in each "set" since the beginning, I'm just less willing to do the same old thing now.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Pokemon Black/White was the first Pokemon game that I dropped before getting to the Elite Four. Maybe I'm just older now. Considering I've played an entry in each "set" since the beginning, I'm just less willing to do the same old thing now.[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way. However, I defeated the Elite Four before I just stopped. A few friends of mine that have been playing since the beginning as well found B/W to be a bit tedious and as a result, either did not complete the game or completed and realized that they might have outgrown it. To be honest, I personally think they should stop making new generations and focus on perhaps making a game with all the regions and change it up a bit. Maybe not that but just find new ways to attract new people, as well as those who have been playing since the beginning. The whole "Catch em' All" slogan is... ugh. It's just not fun when we need to catch 649 Pokemon to do it.

I beat Pokemon White a couple of weeks after it came out. After doing so, I felt I was done with Pokemon. I felt there was nothing more they could do to get me involved, besides the occasional 'wifi event.' This does get me genuinely excited though, because I believe they're going to change the formula in some way.

Catch em all is seriously kind of dying, the GTS is full of hacks, and only ridiculous trades. Good luck getting anything unless you have a bunch of one-time available Pokemon x to give away. This slogan is over 10 years old, and I don't think the children around here are interested in catching ALL of 649 pokemon, moreover, I don't think today's children have the patience to catch all of 649 pokemon, nor do they care. If they could find a way to make the GTS reasonable then it would be very reasonable that you could catch them all with only one cartridge. The GTS was VERY good when Diamond and Pearl came out, but now it has just gone to pot. The best thing about Pokemon now is its online, so I only have to buy one cartridge.

Its becoming a game where you play through the story, and then put it down just like every other game.

Unfortunately hacking has completely ruined the online experience, since in order to compete at all, you pretty much have to hack. You can't get anywhere with an average pokemon that you have raised in game, which is what 90% of the casual players have. Even the battle area's are much too difficult to do with a normally raised pokemon, and sometimes even impossible to beat with a hack (I have tried). Thus the game turns the casual player off, which again, is about 90% of the Pokemon fanbase.

Even the competitive game has gotten to be too much for me, and something not worth my time. I used to spend hours breeding the perfect pokemon, but really, I was not able to use those pokemon in any way in the game that benefitted me. It was fun to do it back then for personal satisfaction, but really if I am spending my time on gaming there are much better things for me to spend my time on than breeding Pokemon that don't benefit me at all because some hacker will come in and beat me lickety split! They were good for taking out friends in local battles, but at my age, no one plays Pokemon anymore, and challenging other kids is definitely off limits due to my age and parental paranoia about someone my age talking to another strange child.

So yes, something needs to change here, first of all being they need to make it impossible to hack, which is something I doubt can happen, especially since you can hack on another cartridge and just bring the pokemon over. I know Nintendo can detect hacks at their official sanctioned tournaments, so I am sure that they can find a way to implement that in the new games.

The people buying these games are the 5-10 year old kids, and the 18 year and over crowd, there is no inbetween. But most people I know are playing it casually, and the actual competitive game is a very small percentage of the fanbase. Note this goes for my area, and may differ from the area that you live in. I live in an area where basically no one has a 3DS unless you are again, a 5-10 year old child, and mobile phones and iProducts are all the rage.

If Nintendo were to release the original pokemon games on the iPod touch or the iPhone I HAVE NO DOUBT it would be a huge craze again, with the original games, and people trying to catch them all. Simply because everyone would download it on a device they already have. Someone released a fake Pokemon yellow a while back on the app store and it quickly rose to the top of the charts for sales. But this will only happen if pigs can fly.

Except Nintendo wouldn't be making as much money if they released it on the App Store as opposed to the retail space. It'd also destroy the communal aspect the Pokemon series does try to promote in a number of different ways (trading between people, transferring from older games to newer ones, etc.).

I also doubt Nintendo could get away with charging $30 on the App the Store for 2 separate versions, and you know they'd try. Although I'd love to see the kiddies bitch about Nintendo refusing to lower the price to $15, let alone $1.

I am talking about only the original GB games on the app store, hopefully these will be coming to the 3DS virtual console, which if they do come to the 3DS virtual console with trading/battling features that might actually sell me on a 3DS system. But then again I still face the lack of people to trade or battle with since no one here has a 3DS, and definitely no adults that I know have one. I think they could get away with $15 each on the app store, but not $30. They could probably make quite a sum charging $15 each on the app store simply because more people own an iPhone or iPod touch than 3DS systems. It would definitely be funny to see people begging for the game to be $1.

The app store would promote the communal trading of Pokemon, everyone and I mean almost everyone here has an iDevice of some sort, wayyyy more people own these devices than 3DS or DS systems. The last time I passed by the apple store it was literately jammed full of people, never seen a store so crowded in my life since the arcades of the 1980's with people waiting in line to play games and huge crowds. Assuming majority of people downloaded the games then it would be pokemon mayhem all over again with no shortage of people to trade or battle with, not to mention again, Nintendo would probably make a killing.

[quote name='KingBroly']I beat Pokemon White a couple of weeks after it came out. After doing so, I felt I was done with Pokemon. I felt there was nothing more they could do to get me involved, besides the occasional 'wifi event.' This does get me genuinely excited though, because I believe they're going to change the formula in some way.[/QUOTE]

Excluding the fact that I did feel the need to complete most of the Unova Dex (Unova and Unova only) this summarizes exactly how I felt about Black. And you know what? The WiFi events have been pretty lacking. NA is super behind Japan.

Yup, leaving holes in the game with missing events that were supposed to be released is not cool. It leaves holes in the game because there are parts of the game that cannot be accessed unless you did the event. However I did manage to get quite a few c-gear hits. I did have to eventually confess to the neighborhood kids that it was me who was showing up on their games, lol which is ok cause I know those kids. This is actually quite impressive because basically in my area, no one cares about local streetpass or random passer by features, so that's pretty good that I was able to discover that the kids on my block were actually playing the game. Portable consoles are systems where you put a game in and play, and no more, all the other features get ignored unless the system has stuff like facebook and twitter. Its good that this game can be played on any DS system, so its bound to sell loads.

However I will still be lining up for a preorder on this game, as it might be the DS's last hurrah before they stop making games for it.

what is insane is i probally buy this day 1 yet i still have

Black
White
Plat
heartgold
soul silver

and a few other pokemon games i havent even played to the end yet

My god pokemon is not repetitive (well the story maybe) but you gotta do something yourself. Do a playthrough without your starter, a playthrough with pokemon of the same species/type, maybe have a team of 8 or 10 but rotate them, even do a nuzlocke (look that up) but I guarantee that pokemon will never bore me and just because adults don't find it cool doesn't mean that I can't play a rather enjoying game from begging to end.

That said, a pokemon main 3ds game will SELL 3DS's like hotcakes.

The problem is that most people only play through a Pokemon game once. Why? Because starting a new save file removes all of your progress from your old game. And going through the same formula again and again does get repetitive. Here are the main Pokemon games that follow the formula of Get Pokemon > Fight Gym Leaders > Beat Evil Doers > Win Pokemon League:

Red
Blue
Yellow
Gold
Silver
Crystal
Ruby
Sapphire
Fire Red
Leaf Green
Emerald
Diamond