Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver $34.99/$32.54 at Amazon

[quote name='icedrake523']They charge you when it ships.[/QUOTE]
Sweet pre-ordering bad company 2, FF13, and silver. March is going to be crowded.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='heyheyhey11']I've never owned
pokeman game ever. Is this a good way to start?[/QUOTE]

Its how i started and i think its the best in the series.

Pre-ordered Heart Gold too, but does anyone know the difference between the two legendaries in this one? I only have Pokemon Pearl and Pokemon Platinum and am still very much a newb to the game. I think the Pokewalker is a neat idea. My son is completely obssessed with the game since one of his classmates hooked him into it. I think he'd get a kick out of carrying it around.

[quote name='GUNNM']34.99 too much[/QUOTE]
/topic

You can buy a copy of Crystal with a working battery for $9.99 on eBay. And this is just Crystal version 1.000000001.

[quote name='gunm']Pre-ordered Heart Gold too, but does anyone know the difference between the two legendaries in this one? I only have Pokemon Pearl and Pokemon Platinum and am still very much a newb to the game.[/QUOTE]

The two legendaries are Lugia (on Soul Silver's box) and Ho-Oh (on Heart Gold's box) and are in both Soul Silver and Heart Gold. The only difference is when you encounter them. In Silver, you encounter Lugia first and catch it when it's level 40. You can encounter and catch Ho-Oh later at level 70. The opposite is true of Gold; Ho-Oh you encounter first at level 40 and Lugia later at level 70.

The only legendary exclusives (as Fire_Thief said above), are Kyogre (HG) and Groudon (SS) which were the legendaries in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald.

Thought gamestop was the only place to get the mini-figure, much rather order from amazon. Got Soul Silver, Thanks OP!

I bought it.... and picked up a used DSi to play it, lol. I have been looking to get another DS (had and sold a DS, then another DS Lite). Hopefully I learned my lesson not to sell another portable system.

[quote name='Anhmeister']I think everyone will agree that the Silver/Gold generation was the best.[/QUOTE]

You must've skipped Blue/Red. I think everyone thinks the one(s) they started with are the best. In my mind, nothing will ever top Blue. The moment I beat the Elite Four and captured Mewtwo, a gamer was born.

I started with Blue (and also had Red and Yellow) but Gold and Silver are definitely the best. More pokemon, better legendaries, you have a new area and can go back to the one from previous games. They introduced breeding, hold items, day/night, and new methods of evolution. Also had color and much better sprites.

Gameplay-wise people will say that Diamond/Pearl/Platinum (soon to be HG/SS) is the best. Only nostalgia plays a factor in people thinking that R/B/Y and G/S/C are the best. (Me included for the latter, which is why I really look forward to this remake.)

And for those that haven't been keeping up with the latest Pokemon, keep in mind that there is a huge change when it comes to attacking.
That is that moves are now split into Physical and Special types.

For example Fire-type moves use to be all special. Now only moves like Flamethrower are based off the Special-Attack stat, and moves like Fire Punch are based off the Physical-Attack stat.

Basically this makes Pokemon like Hitmonchan not useless. :cool:

[quote name='Temidien']You must've skipped Blue/Red. I think everyone thinks the one(s) they started with are the best. In my mind, nothing will ever top Blue. The moment I beat the Elite Four and captured Mewtwo, a gamer was born.[/QUOTE]

this.

I got blue for christmas that year and I think I logged the most hours in that game than any game I've ever played.

matter of fact, I got all 151 pokemon in that game :)

yes, 151, what are we up to now? like 500 or something? :p

But I absolutely love me some pokemon!

[quote name='Temidien']You must've skipped Blue/Red. I think everyone thinks the one(s) they started with are the best. In my mind, nothing will ever top Blue. The moment I beat the Elite Four and captured Mewtwo, a gamer was born.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Penguin1084']this.

I got blue for christmas that year and I think I logged the most hours in that game than any game I've ever played.

matter of fact, I got all 151 pokemon in that game :)

yes, 151, what are we up to now? like 500 or something? :p

But I absolutely love me some pokemon![/QUOTE]

Eh, I had 100's of hours on my copy of Red, and had considerable hours on Blue and Yellow, too. They got played more than my copies of Gold and Silver did. But, I still consider those (G/S) to be the best.

On another note, Amazon emailed me back about my preroder (when I put in at $39.99.) The rep said she was adjusting my preorder price to the $34.99...yay! I suggest everyone that ordered at the higher price to send them an email. (Yeah, I think it's supposed to be automatically adjusted, but I'd email just to be safe.)

You can view your order history on the account page at Amazon to see the updated price. Just did that and then canceled because the delivery date is March 17th. Really? I am a Prime member and that is just not acceptable for a preorder. Looks like I will pick it up locally.

[quote name='hoofrog']You can view your order history on the account page at Amazon to see the updated price. Just did that and then canceled because the delivery date is March 17th. Really? I am a Prime member and that is just not acceptable for a preorder. Looks like I will pick it up locally.[/QUOTE]

March 14th is a Sunday. It'd ship Monday the 15th. 2 days later is the 17th.

[quote name='icedrake523']March 14th is a Sunday. It'd ship Monday the 15th. 2 days later is the 17th.[/QUOTE]

Most big games have release date delivery from Amazon. Amazon could ship the product early so that it arrives Monday. That is acceptable.

No, I didn't skip Blue/Red. I actually loved Red which led me to become engrossed in Silver. I just found Silver to be so much more than Red was, having both Kanto/Johto in the same game was great.

[quote name='letallis']I want to use Amazon, but I don't think I can wait an extra day...[/QUOTE]
You can play it now, in fact. Just go to eBay and search for "Pokemon Crystal." With Bing cashback, you should be able to snatch a working copy that saves for around $7-9. HG/SS is just Crystal version 1.000000001.

[quote name='hoofrog']Most big games have release date delivery from Amazon. Amazon could ship the product early so that it arrives Monday. That is acceptable.[/QUOTE]
But this isn't a "big game." It's an 11-year-old rehash.

[quote name='WhiteLens']And for those that haven't been keeping up with the latest Pokemon, keep in mind that there is a huge change when it comes to attacking.
That is that moves are now split into Physical and Special types.[/QUOTE]
For such a "huge," apparently mind-blowing change, I sure haven't noticed it, and I don't know many 8-year-olds (Pokemon's target demographic) who are aware of this. Or are you one of those "competitive" players?

[quote name='Penguin1084']yes, 151, what are we up to now? like 500 or something? :p[/QUOTE]
By 2020, there will be 1000+ Pokemon, half of which are worthless Rattata/Pidgey/Caterpie clones.

[quote name='iGen']You can play it now, in fact. Just go to eBay and search for "Pokemon Crystal." With Bing cashback, you should be able to snatch a working copy that saves for around $7-9. HG/SS is just Crystal version 1.000000001.

For such a "huge," apparently mind-blowing change, I sure haven't noticed it, and I don't know many 8-year-olds (Pokemon's target demographic) who are aware of this. Or are you one of those "competitive" players?

By 2020, there will be 1000+ Pokemon, half of which are worthless Rattata/Pidgey/Caterpie clones.[/QUOTE]

Quite a "negative nancy" we have here..

[quote name='WhiteLens']Gameplay-wise people will say that Diamond/Pearl/Platinum (soon to be HG/SS) is the best. Only nostalgia plays a factor in people thinking that R/B/Y and G/S/C are the best. (Me included for the latter, which is why I really look forward to this remake.)

And for those that haven't been keeping up with the latest Pokemon, keep in mind that there is a huge change when it comes to attacking.
That is that moves are now split into Physical and Special types.

For example Fire-type moves use to be all special. Now only moves like Flamethrower are based off the Special-Attack stat, and moves like Fire Punch are based off the Physical-Attack stat.

Basically this makes Pokemon like Hitmonchan not useless. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Also, the Pokemon are "unique" now.
Different characteristics exist which dictates the way its stats are set and how it will grow between the 6 stats (HP/ATK/DEF/SP ATK/SP DEF/SPEED).
A lot of analysis are done from those who are competitive players.
Basically, no two Pokemon are the same.

[quote name='Temidien']You must've skipped Blue/Red. I think everyone thinks the one(s) they started with are the best. In my mind, nothing will ever top Blue.[/QUOTE]
I started with Blue, went up to Diamond. Still think Silver/Gold is the best.

Shit, Yellow and Crystal are the best, much better than R and B, and G and S. I'm trying to eBay them both, but it's very hard to get a deal!

[quote name='hoofrog']Most big games have release date delivery from Amazon. Amazon could ship the product early so that it arrives Monday. That is acceptable.[/QUOTE]

I strongly doubt they will get their supply soon enough to ship their orders to be delivered Monday.

Just buy it at a store on Sunday and then return the copy from Amazon to the store later.

[quote name='iGen']You can play it now, in fact. Just go to eBay and search for "Pokemon Crystal." With Bing cashback, you should be able to snatch a working copy that saves for around $7-9. HG/SS is just Crystal version 1.000000001.

By 2020, there will be 1000+ Pokemon, half of which are worthless Rattata/Pidgey/Caterpie clones.[/QUOTE]
How exactly am I supposed to play Crystal on my DS (legally)? How about you answer that question before criticizing anyone who wants to get HG/SS or that is excited about it.

[quote name='ItsAMeAMario']Also, the Pokemon are "unique" now.
Different characteristics exist which dictates the way its stats are set and how it will grow between the 6 stats (HP/ATK/DEF/SP ATK/SP DEF/SPEED).
A lot of analysis are done from those who are competitive players.
Basically, no two Pokemon are the same.[/QUOTE]

This has been around since RBY actually. They've tweaked it a little bit, but it's always been around in some way or the other.

RBY is my favorite generation, but Yellow is my favorite game. I had Red first, and put 250+ hours on it, but Yellow was and always will be my favorite. I think it had something to do with being able to get all of the starters and having Pikachu follow you around. Ahhh, magic.

iGen: Don't you have a bridge you're supposed to be guarding? (Get it, cause he's a troll :lol:)

I started with red and still give my vote to R/S/E. That gen just had the coolest pokemon/best variety imo. D/P/Pt could be the best, but the animations and text just goes way toooo slow (even with it set to fast).

I'm in for one for my nephew. I think he'll get a kick out of having the pokewalker and shit before his classmates.

Also, which version is the best? I went with soul silver for now.

[quote name='Chris249942']I started with red and still give my vote to R/S/E. That gen just had the coolest pokemon/best variety imo. D/P/Pt could be the best, but the animations and text just goes way toooo slow (even with it set to fast).[/QUOTE]

I've started since Blue/Red. I still think the original 151 were the best.
Gold/Silver were the next best games, but the pokemon started getting really stale and off the wall...they suddenly discovered 80% new Pokemon?
Pokemon Pearl/Diamond were probably the worst, but I enjoyed them.

[quote name='Anhmeister']No, I didn't skip Blue/Red. I actually loved Red which led me to become engrossed in Silver. I just found Silver to be so much more than Red was, having both Kanto/Johto in the same game was great.[/QUOTE]
I too started with Red/Blue, but when it comes to the best game, Gold/Silver I choose you. My personal favorite is Blue, but I can't deny Silver was the better game, definitely one of the most complete games I've ever played. Doesn't matter either way, they're both incredible games.

[quote name='rothgar24']I'm in for one for my nephew. I think he'll get a kick out of having the pokewalker and shit before his classmates.

Also, which version is the best? I went with soul silver for now.[/QUOTE]

No version is better. The only difference is certain Pokemon. The only exclusive legendaries are Groudon (in SS) and Kyogre (in HG). Also, you get Lugia before Ho-Oh in Soul Silver. It's the opposite in Heart Gold.

Though Soul Silver has Skarmory who is awesome.

Some one sounds grumpy, Pokemans are supposed to be happy fun times! :(

Do 8-year-old Western children really care about Pokemon though?

[quote name='Chris249942']That gen just had the coolest pokemon/best variety imo.[/QUOTE]
That's a good one.

3rd Gen had an ungodly high ratio of Water-types overwhelming every other type, both new and old.

[quote name='icedrake523']3rd gen had the best starters though.[/QUOTE]

I love Blaziken with all my heart but he's as frail as Infernape.

[quote name='imfast5005']Thats too costly to deal with.
amazon should decrease the rate for this.[/QUOTE]

$35 is pretty much the standard price for such a high-profile game as this. Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum was the same.

WOW!!! The guide is 832 pages long... O__O

"Pokémon HeartGold & SoulSilver: The Official Pokémon Johto Guide & Johto Pokédex
This is the walkthrough for Johto, plus a Pokédex for the 256 Pokémon in the Johto Dex. The information updated today to say it will have 352 pages, not 296. Available March 14 (launch day).

http://www.amazon.ca/Pokemon-HeartG...=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264482586&sr=8-3

Pokémon HeartGold & SoulSilver Pokédex
This is the walkthrough for Kanto, plus a National Dex. It will have 480 pages. Available April 20.

http://www.amazon.ca/Pokemon-HeartG...=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264482586&sr=8-4

Altogether it's 832 pages, which is 208 pages longer than Platinum's single guide."

Amazing!!!! I'm deff buying both of them from Amazon for $13 each... lol. I love these things, I love my Platinum and Emerald guides.

Wow, talk about a detailed guide. I'm a pretty casual player these days so it's probably a bit overkill for someone like me though.

I really hope this price sticks around after launch. Think I'll end up using my $10 GoWIII credit on it and get it down to $25 (my sweet spot for this game).

Man I was kind of hoping that it would be one giant guide as opposed to two separate things. It just looks more epic that way...

This thread is disturbing as it is lacking Lugia

needs more Lugia, because Ho-oh sucks

lugia1.jpg

Lugia.jpg
lugia%5B1%5D.gif

bread's done
Back