Pokemon X and Y Announced!

Does this game feel...too easy to anyone else? Feels like the easiest one yet.
Black and White felt like the easiest one to me. Maybe its the new exp share? I dunno, I'm not walking through the game like I did with Black and White. I never finished Black and White cause it was too easy.

11 and a half hours in and I'm still not there... I just want ALL the Pokemon. I also wanted a male Litleo to name it Kovu and I wound up spending like probably an hour anda half on that alone. :|
Nice commitment haha. I really tried to catch everything, but I got so frustrated with trying to get an Abra. Now I just try to get the most I can before moving on. I'll go back to try and get the ones I missed whenever I get fly. Too lazy to go back now

Last edited by a moderator:
So my Sylveon is getting bosted exp in battle because I played with it in Pokemon amie. Pretty cool. Just too bad the happiness evos aren't related to pokemon amie

Nice commitment haha. I really tried to catch everything, but I got so frustrated with trying to get an Abra. Now I just try to get the most I can before moving on. I'll go back to try and get the ones I missed whenever I get fly. Too lazy to go back now
I just threw a great ball at one and it worked so. Abra was way easier than usual, lol.

I really tried to catch everything, but I got so frustrated with trying to get an Abra. Now I just try to get the most I can before moving on. I'll go back to try and get the ones I missed whenever I get fly. Too lazy to go back now
Just use one of the Quick Balls the guy in Luminose City gives you. Easy as pie.

Just got the 2nd badge. Am now on Box 3 in my PC. Managed to get Poliwhirl, Wingull, and Fennekin via Wonder Trade.

Looking for folks needing to breed their critters! I love breeding and I'm back in full swing with this new gen (skipped the last 2 basically-started but never finished them) and I'd like to help some people out. Anyone needing Pokemon eggs hit me up. I'm at the VERY early stage right now as I don't even have a ditto yet, but once I do I should be able to make babies with just about anything you want more of!

My friend code is 1891-1182-4849.

I'm also happy to trade anyone that just wants to trade evolve as well. Just message me!

My Friend Code is 0516-7446-5821

82 Pokemon captured so far.

I think I have spent more money on Poke and Great Balls so far than I have in all other Generations combined.

O.O Eevee are wild in this game! Yay!

My Friend Code is 0516-7446-5821

82 Pokemon captured so far.

I think I have spent more money on Poke and Great Balls so far than I have in all other Generations combined.

O.O Eevee are wild in this game! Yay!
Awesome!

I have spent way too damn much on balls as well.

I love Pokemon's English translators.

20131013_205024-1.jpg

I skimmed that earlier in my game, I wasn't sure if I read it right haha.

I managed to make some trades through the GTS and got the rest of the Kalos and Kanto starters.  :bouncy:

Time to "study" while the 3DS recharges haha

I am half way done with my Super Smeargle now.  I have Sleep Powder (going to swap that to Spore later) and False Swipe.  i am going to put Mean Look and Odor Sleuth on him as well.  With this setup I will be able to easily catch Pokemon.

Looking for folks needing to breed their critters! I love breeding and I'm back in full swing with this new gen (skipped the last 2 basically-started but never finished them) and I'd like to help some people out. Anyone needing Pokemon eggs hit me up. I'm at the VERY early stage right now as I don't even have a ditto yet, but once I do I should be able to make babies with just about anything you want more of!

My friend code is 1891-1182-4849.

I'm also happy to trade anyone that just wants to trade evolve as well. Just message me!
Added you. Don't know much about breeding. You do the IV stuff?

Also for the people who are breeding Pokemon, if you have a Fletchinder its ability Flame Body reduces the time it takes to hatch an egg by half if it the lead Pokemon in the party.
Good to know; I just picked up a slugma for the same reason. Keep meaning to go back to the day care and breed some more starters to trade, but just been so busy playing through the game. The pace seemed to pick up a bit after the second gym or so, it definitely felt like forever to get through the first few. Should probably change my team up, using Pikachu, Pansear, Pansage, and Greninja right now.

Just got the hm fly, can check back in on the daycar now.

I benched Pikachu in favor of helioptile. About to evolve it. Hope it's a badass.

I got a question. So just started, about an hour and a half in. Basically I know after the first or so gym my pokemon will be overleveled for the random pokemon on the grass to capture. Is there an easier way to catch pokemon besides just swap one member out with another who is there specifically for catching (which about the level of the pokemon of the area I want to catch)?

You get false swipe pretty early, teach that to your pokemon and it'll make things easier. Status efects can help. Dusk balls at night or in caves. Quick balls on your first turn, etc..

Well, early on you only get 3 Quick Balls and no Dusk Balls.

I keep a few weak attacks (such as Pound or Bubble) just to lower HP enough.

I've never played a Pokémon game before. Does it make any difference at all if I pick X instead of Y, or should one of them be done first. Thanks.

I got a question. So just started, about an hour and a half in. Basically I know after the first or so gym my pokemon will be overleveled for the random pokemon on the grass to capture. Is there an easier way to catch pokemon besides just swap one member out with another who is there specifically for catching (which about the level of the pokemon of the area I want to catch)?
As other people have said use False Swipe. It will lower a Pokemon to 1 HP. My advise is to get a Smeargle and have it learn False Swipe and Sleep Power/Spore.

http://forum.pokefarm.com/showthread.php?1349-Foolproof-way-of-teaching-Smeargle-anything

That is an older post but it still works as a way to easily teach Smeargle moves. It learns Sketch at 1, 11, 21, 31 etc. So the easiest way to teach it moves quickly is to get it to say level 20 and almost to level 21 and get into a double battle. Have it learn move number one and then defeat one of the Pokemon so he levels up. At level up you will learn Sketch again so you can learn two moves in one battle. The setup I am using for my Smeargle is False Swipe (lowers to 1 HP), Sleep Power/Spore, Mean Look (prevents Pokemon from running), and Odor Sleuth/Foresight (allows Normal type moves to hit Ghost type).

I've never played a Pokémon game before. Does it make any difference at all if I pick X instead of Y, or should one of them be done first. Thanks.
It doesn't matter which one you pick. The only difference between the two is the version exclusive Pokemon but you can easily trade for them.

I'm also planning on doing a playthrough of Pokemon Soul Silver pretty soon if anyone has Heart Gold and wants to trade some version exclusives back and forth.

I'm going to put this out there since the chances of knowing is pretty slim and I found out the hard way.

Some Pokemon only evolve when your 3DS is upside down. Yup you read that right.

I have been hating Pokemon games since the addition of Nature and how it affects Pokemon stats. I have caught a bunch of pokemon always looking for a specific Nature based on its standard stats growth and move type.

With that said, is there an easier way to figure out what Nature is good for what pokemon?

Inkay only evolves if you either play upside down or flip your 3D when it reaches it's evolving level. Yes, that is a thing and it is awesome. 

I have been hating Pokemon games since the addition of Nature and how it affects Pokemon stats. I have caught a bunch of pokemon always looking for a specific Nature based on its standard stats growth and move type.

With that said, is there an easier way to figure out what Nature is good for what pokemon?
http://www.smogon.com/bw/natures/

Granted, that list is for Black / White, but should tell you what you need.

On that note, http://www.smogon.com/ and http://serebii.net/ are pretty extensive in the information they cover for the Pokemon games. Smogon is more of a competitive website and Serebii is more of an extensive pokedex in a sense, but either site is great for information.

I prefer Serebii above all else. Bulbapedia is nice, but I always find myself migrating to Serebii when I need something. 

Just started, cleared the first gym, and I'm already hankering for some rare Pokemon. If anyone has a Charmander they're willing to trade...

(I picked Squirtle, being my favorite of all-time)

Just started, cleared the first gym, and I'm already hankering for some rare Pokemon. If anyone has a Charmander they're willing to trade...

(I picked Squirtle, being my favorite of all-time)
I can get you a Charmander later tonight if you are around.

Also, does anyone have a Paras?

EDIT: Got a Paras through the GTS. I actually like it alot better than Smeragle for catching Pokemon.

Yea, I am kinda going against my normal grain. I usually try to have a relatively balanced team, but I have 2 Water-types, 2 Fire-types, a Ghost/Steel-type, and a Dark/Fighting-type.

I've become pretty obsessed with collecting all the Vivillon patterns.... It's kind of sad, really. Though my Japanese one is definitely the prettiest I've gotten so far.

Just picked up Pokemon Y. Do you guys have any tips for a first time pokemon player?
Buy regular pokeballs in bunches of 10, you get a premiere ball everytime you buy 10+ at once.

Familiarize yourself with the pokemon types and their strengths and weaknesses. Battles are often decided by type matchups.

Take note of your pokemon's nature and look at its stats. If a stat is red it is boosted, if it's blue it's power is reduced.

How easy is it to get all 3 original starters via trading? Basically I have not gotten to the point where I choose one of the original starters yet (damn GTA Online, lol), but anyway my problem is I should not pick Charmander because I have Fennekin but I love Charizard's mega evo. If it's easy to get all 3, I will just decide between Bulbasaur and Squirtle and grab Charmander sometime later.

Ok, so I'm 33 and Pokemon came out my senior year and in college, so it passed me up. Now, I picked up X for my 7 year old and am having to help him. I just have a few quick questions so I don't have to register on some Pokemon fan site:

1) When I accessed the Professors cpu (the Klaos area) in a Pokemon Center, it said "congrats on your 33 pokemon." I know you can only have 6 on you at one time, and when I looked in a 'box' there were only 7 Pokemon. Where might the other 26 be? I flipped thru all the 'boxes' and nothing was there.

2) When you are battling, why would one attack box be lit up or a different color and others are gray?

3) I spent an hour googling how to cut down a tree to access a pokeball. None of our Pokemon have 'Cut' as an option? Do I have to be given this ability or find it; where is it? Will it then apply to all Pokemon??

Thanks guys, I hope that is all I've got, I am reading the IGN wiki and buying the strategy guide off Amazon today, I just need some quick tips to make everything right.

1) Ever since Gen IV, the Professors only count Pokemon seen, not caught.

2) Pokemon attacks are colored by their type. Normal-type attacks are whitish/gray.

3) Cut is an HM (which is the same as a TM except it can't be deleted unless you talk to the Move Deleter) you get soon after the first Gym. Other HMs are Strength, Surf, and Fly.

I'm really impressed with XY so far. I'm really taking my time with it though. I think I'm 9-10 hours in already and at the town with the second gym.

How easy is it to get all 3 original starters via trading? Basically I have not gotten to the point where I choose one of the original starters yet (damn GTA Online, lol), but anyway my problem is I should not pick Charmander because I have Fennekin but I love Charizard's mega evo. If it's easy to get all 3, I will just decide between Bulbasaur and Squirtle and grab Charmander sometime later.
It is very easy to get all of the starters via trading. My suggestion is to make sure you have a female starter (either Gen 1 or Gen 6) then you can breed that and trade those on the GTS for the other starters.

Is there a Pokemon trading forum here on CAG? If not, would you guys be willing to start one? I'm just curious as you guys seem to be looking for trades.

Anyways, I'm very impressed with this game so far, I picked up both X and Y and I think I'm going to have fun going through both games even though they are, for the most part, identical.

bread's done
Back