Pokemopn Manaphy Giveaway -- Toys R Us Sept 29

So, I have followed all of the directions up to giving the code to the guy in the Jublife TV station. There is a dude standing in front of the door to the station and wont let me in. I assume I need to get to some point in the game before he gets his fat arse out of the way. Any ideas when? I have my first badge. Thanks.

[quote name='SaraAB']Can more than one person download at a time, or is it one at a time? Because its gonna be another 4 hour line if thats the case...[/quote]

Stolen from Pokebeach.com:
First off, 16 people will be able to download Manaphy at a time, which means lines should go pretty fast (as we posted a few weeks ago, the download will work through Mystery Gift, and then you will have to go to the Mart, talk to the man at the counter, and he will give you Manaphy).

Every Toys R Us will be doing this. If your store is ONLY a Babys R Us or Kids R US, forget it. But if it's a TRU/KRU or TRU/BRU you're fine.

[quote name='Tybee']In case you haven't gotten a Pokemon gift before (this will be my first one), you have to unlock the Mystery Gift menu option. It's obscure, but painless. Here's the procedure from Serebii:

http://serebii.net/diamondpearl/mysterygift.shtml[/quote] Thanks Tybee!

Here's the official line on what else you need to get manphy.

The only "official line" on requirements is the Pokédex given to you at the beginning of the game. I don't see why you all phrase it as something major.

Ok, that sounds good. I think all you have to do is turn on your game and have the pokedex too, since the game checks for signals as soon as you get to the "continue" menu, then everything else happens automatically. I don't think you necessarily have to have that mystery gift thing unlocked to get this. The only requirement is the pokedex so that should cut down on the amount of confusion about special requirements to get this. This should make it really easy for even the kids who don't know what they are doing to get it. There will also be no employee involved since everything is going to be handled automatically by a download station sort of thing. Its not like its one employee with one gameboy and link cable having to hand out pokemon to a crowd of hundreds one at a time.

I was handing out celebi at the mew event last year, hey I had to have something to do to pass the 4+ hour wait, and half the kids couldn't even get it because of in-game restrictions, I imagine thats part of the reason why the mew line was so long, there was a lot of confusion about how to do it, plus the kids had to have a pokemon to trade and be ready etc..

Still debating if I should go. I haven't really touched my game within a month since I had to take pictures for a certain site a while back regarding hidden event Pokemon. :s

I pickup Pokemon Pearl for my little sis from TRU buy 2 get 1 Free. She haven't play the game yet. So, I just take the game to local TRU & they give my free Pokemon character right ?? Do i need Pokédex to get free character or not ?? I never play any pokemon game .... i just i do it right so my little sis get FREE pokemon character.

[quote name='nlyonssmith']So, I have followed all of the directions up to giving the code to the guy in the Jublife TV station. There is a dude standing in front of the door to the station and wont let me in. I assume I need to get to some point in the game before he gets his fat arse out of the way. Any ideas when? I have my first badge. Thanks.[/quote]

You have to battle the Team Galatic members at the top exit/entrance. I think they show up after you get your second badge.

You DO need the Pokédex. That's just about all you'll need. When you pick up the Manaphy in-game, you'll need a space in your team.

It's so exciting. ^.^; hehe. At least that 16 at a time thing is going to be the case as I would so NOT like to be waiting around forever...

[quote name='Tsukento']You DO need the Pokédex. That's just about all you'll need. When you pick up the Manaphy in-game, you'll need a space in your team.[/quote]The pokedex is picked up within the first couple hours of play, IIRC. In Sandgem town.

So only five pokemon in your party? Not a sixth to trade?

just five since it goes through mystery gift. i wouldn't worry too much about 5 or 6 pokemon. you can just go there, download your mystery gift, then go home and rearrange your party before picking up the mystery gift at the pokecenter if you want.

[quote name='Masterkyo']I pickup Pokemon Pearl for my little sis from TRU buy 2 get 1 Free. She haven't play the game yet. So, I just take the game to local TRU & they give my free Pokemon character right ?? Do i need Pokédex to get free character or not ?? I never play any pokemon game .... i just i do it right so my little sis get FREE pokemon character.[/quote]
You just need the poke'dex which is not hard to get and on the startup menu screen when your at TRU it should pick up the signal and give you mystery gift option, but before you get the poke'dex you'll have to choose your starter poke'mon I guess once you get to that point you can ask your sister what poke'mon she'd want.

This site has info on the poke'mon and it has info on the three starters and pictures of their evolutions.
http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-dp/

So who got this? There's still an hour and 15 mins left for people on the west coast.

I don't feel like going out right now though.

I already have a Manaphy from Ranger and I haven't even played Pokemon in months.

Manaphy info from GameFAQs:

Nickname: MANAPHY
OT Name: TRU
OR ID: 09297
Sep. 29, 2007
Pokemon Event
Apparently had a Fateful Encounter at Lv. 50.

Heart Swap
Water Pulse
Whirlpool
Acid Armor

Classic Ribbon: A Ribbon that proclaims love for Pokemon.

I managed to leave work early enough to get to TRU with my bro to get 2 Manaphys. There was a cheap table set up with a worker talking to a bunch of young kids about how to do everything. We didn't even have to wait in line and were able to get a connection from a video game aisle behind the table set up. What's funny is how most of the players over 14 were kind of cowering and keeping their distance.

i got it, all you had to do was walk to games dept stand any where near the registers and, manaphy was received. No lines kids just standing around talking and playing pokemon. So i guess it was pretty easy.

[quote name='nicque']i got it, all you had to do was walk to games dept stand any where near the registers and, manaphy was received. No lines kids just standing around talking and playing pokemon. So i guess it was pretty easy.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I walked in and saw a couple people standing at the register checking out, and then another group of people with their DSs out. I stood behind them thinking they were in line, but it turns out there was no line, they were just reading the directions. In and out of the store in under 5 minutes.

Haha, I walked into the store and there was a HUGE line by the entrance, and I was about to say "screw it" and leave until I overheard someone saying that line was for a Spongebob coloring competition or something. Walked into the videogames dept., turned on my DS, and got it immediately. Only took about 30-45 seconds total.

I got the Pokemon today, but they didn't know about a $5 off coupon. I even went to customer service and asked. They just gave me some other bogus flier for "Geoffery's Birthday Sale" that had $5 off for like 3 Naruto games (whoopie). When I tried to explain to them that the website said "ANY DS game" they just blew me off. I was kinda mad. Idiots.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']I got the Pokemon today, but they didn't know about a $5 off coupon. I even went to customer service and asked. They just gave me some other bogus flier for "Geoffery's Birthday Sale" that had $5 off for like 3 Naruto games (whoopie). When I tried to explain to them that the website said "ANY DS game" they just blew me off. I was kinda mad. Idiots.[/quote]

That happened to me, too, BUT I RAISED SOME HELL AND GOT 5 DARU OFF PICROSS DS, making it 15 DARU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(DARU=$)
i was pissed when they were like TOO BAD at first.
i said IT SAYS ANY DS GAME!!
AND THAT I WASTED GAS MONEY FOR A LIE!
they then fixed it

Got there a few minutes before noon...they didn't activate the access point until about 12:20 or so. Got it as soon as it was available (I was in line behind 20 people or so) and then went and grabbed a coupon (the Pokemon-Event-instruction guy at the front had a huge stack of them, handing them out as you went by). Didn't see anything I wanted at that TRU, but went to the other one and got Bomberman Land Touch for $12.98 + tax.

One thing to say about the event...that was one hell of a cross-section of the American populous on display.

I was so sure there would be a huge line, I went to TRU 45 minutes early. :( But nope-- only about 15 people, mostly kids and their parents. I was one of four teenagers (the only girl teenager, as well), two of them skulking around the back of the game department, the other one talking to me about Japanese Pokemon download events. :lol: Download was fast, then I picked up a special edition Pokemon Fan magazine thingy, Manaphy bookmark and $5-off coupon (which I used to buy Digimon World Dusk).

It was fun, though; I think I'll try to make it to any other Pokemon events that comes up here.

[quote name='AlphaCananogram']That happened to me, too, BUT I RAISED SOME HELL AND GOT 5 DARU OFF PICROSS DS, making it 15 DARU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(DARU=$)
i was pissed when they were like TOO BAD at first.
i said IT SAYS ANY DS GAME!!
AND THAT I WASTED GAS MONEY FOR A LIE!
they then fixed it
[/quote]

Dang, I was gonna get Picross, too! Ah, I shoulda been more aggressive about it, lol. Maybe I'll call and complain tomorrow.

well I got my Manaphy and 5$ off and used it on megaman ZX was hoping they had digimon dusk or dawn, but none yet.

I got the signal on my ds close to the checkout area, but I went over there to the table got my bookmark, booklet, coupon, and more manaphy with my other games.

The event was pretty nice I did the underground thing with a few people and did a few trades.

I had only cracked open my copy of Diamond when I was waiting for Halo 3 to be released at Best Buy. Anyways, Meesa got far enough to get the Pokédex the night before...glad that was all he needed for Manaphy.

Went to Fullerton TRU @ about 12:30PT. Went to the "R" Zone...saw a bunch of kids and (male) teens standing around, doing trades or whatever. Waited at the checkout line, asked where the d/l was...then the associate pointed me to the sign with the instructions on how to get Manaphy. (Note: It's hard to look at a DS screen when you're wearing polarized sunglasses.) Meesa got the Manaphy (Level 50!? It'll take Shaq-fu-kin' forever for me to able to use it!), then, as he was about to go for the coupon, got approached by a teenage boy with some facial scruff. He asked me, "Do you have any Level 100 Pokémon?" I replied, "No, I just started my game." Then, he started to grumble and move his mouth like he was having a seizure, exposing some nasty teeth. I though to myself, Good jeebus, I hope I wasn't this bad when I was in high school...After that, I got my coupon and bookmark--perfect for the strategy guide (DON'T SAY IT!!!)--and I got out of Dodge ASAP.

So, even after I bailed out of PK Ranger without Manaphy (CURSE YOU SALAMENCE!!! *shakes fist*), Meesa still gets a Manaphy. All is right with the world...so to speak...

crap, i didnt know they give out booklet and bookmark. I just went in and download manaphy then i left. can anyone take some pics of the stuff TRU gave out?

I went yesterday with my son. He's commandeered the Pokemon Pearl I bought. Oh well. He likes it better than I would, anyway, and he's obsessed with Manaphy.

Got there around 12:25 and there was a huge line. We're talking 50 people, but some of those were adults with their kids. But it was well organized. They took about 10 people at a time into the R-Zone, and the line moved every 5 minutes or so. I think we waited for about 15 minutes.

The booklets are nice -- very large, with lots of Pokemon info. I snagged a bookmark but somehow it got lost. There were also stickers, which are now stuck to my son's DS.

There were no coupons, so (of course) I asked. There was an automatic $5 discount on all DS games. But I really didn't see anything. The best would have been Harvest Moon: Rune Factory, but I don't have the time to play it.

Several people in line commented that this went so much more smoothly than the last one.

I got a real kick out of a woman who came in to find a birthday present. She whipped out her cellphone and called home to her kid. She kept getting the name "Manaphy" butchered in different ways, saying "I don't know what it is, but you might want one!"

[quote name='trunks982']crap, i didnt know they give out booklet and bookmark. I just went in and download manaphy then i left. can anyone take some pics of the stuff TRU gave out?[/quote]
Here you go:
manaphypromostuffcc7.jpg

manaphypromostuff2jl5.jpg
Woah, kinda blurry. Sorry about that. :cry:

The magazine is basically a small guide book-- it's got info about the GTS, how to raise Pokemon, how to make eggs, information about the new show, a holiday shopping guide (with very interesting toys), Pokemon ads and other miscellaneous things.

[quote name='drawesome']The magazine is basically a small guide book-- it's got info about the GTS, how to raise Pokemon, how to make eggs, information about the new show, a holiday shopping guide (with very interesting toys), Pokemon ads and other miscellaneous things.[/quote]

Hey, we were gypped! There was no booklet at our TRU. Oh well, sounds like all that stuff is in a strategy guide anyways...

Here's some better shots of the bookmark and the coupon.
Bookmark Front
Bookmark Back
Coupon

Ah, those "pokemon fan" mini mags bring me back when i used to go to the pokemon center (Now Nintendo World) from 03-04.

Anyway, there was only 9 people at the event and the download was pretty fast.I got my Manaphy and left.I had no idea there was a 5$ off coupon...Im kinda pissed..

How long did this coupon last?

Now I'm just being obsessing on soft resetting my game til' I get a "modest" manaphy.

When I went to pick mine up they had a decent sized line, full of mostly kids, a couple of teens, and some adults. Can't tell rather they where playing or there for the kids though. Unfortunately, not a single person was trading, in the underground, or even using the union room. A perfect opportunity to try out some of the LAN features wasted. :bomb:

At around 12:25 the access point was started up, and free cuts where givin to the kids of the staff. This didn't sit too well with a few of the other parents waiting in line, though I helped one of them out by telling them that they where able to download it at any time due to it being wireless.

Downloaded the Manaphy from 6th place in line, grabbed the $5 off coupon, and picked up Sonic Rush Adventure and a Piplup plushie that says it's name when you squeeze it's flipper.

[quote name='RyanTheGNR']
How long did this coupon last?[/quote]

It was only good for Saturday and Sunday. I didn't find anything I wanted, so...meh...:roll:

I got there at like 1pm and there was no line, just a bunch of people huddled around the download station, kids and older teens (18+) there was actually an older crowd this time as last time it was nothing but little kids and maybe one guy around 16 years old. All the kids had arceus already, and many other hacked pokemon and shiny pokemon.

If you really didn't want to wait in a line, you could have just downloaded it, and no one would have known, you could have pretty much downloaded it from any place in the store, most of the older people were hanging around the front of the store downloading it.

We did get a decent group of people going for the union room but no one went to the underground.

I was in the middle of an anniversary trip with my wife and we detoured about 5 miles outside Savannah, Ga. to the nearest TRU. Got there about 1:30 and didn't know what to expect. Told the Mrs. that it could take 10 minutes or 90. She went to the TJ Maxx across the way.

I found an essentially desserted video games section (this was an old-school TRU that still used the slip system). After looking around in vain for a DS demo unit, a table, a sign, kids trading, ANYTHING, I just flipped open my DS, loaded the Mystery Gift menu, and saw the Manaphy option. Took like a minute to complete and I went ahead and claimed him from the deliveryman and saved before leaving the store. While I was doing this, a couple kids walked by with their parents, saying "Look! He's getting his!" I saw some pimply-faced, black trench-coated teens looking very uncomfortable, and a few other kids. One kid didn't know how to unlock the mystery gift menu and his mom was looking for help from a TRU employee. I was going to help, but I couldn't remember the phrasing you use with the Jubilife TV guy. I didn't see any booklets, coupons, or bookmarks.

Hope they do more of these (or make use of the wifi Mystery Gift option allowing us to get stuff over the Internet). Nice that it went so smoothly.

I walked in and downloaded it in 10 seconds at like 12:10, then I walked up to get my coupon and this man went ballistic saying I was cutting the line and I had to wait . I said wait for what I have it already I just want to get the coupon . The girl employee was nervous and wouldn't give me the coupon but in a few I got the coupon from a guy worker. I did not even use the coupon. + the pokemon booklets were all over. The guy was losing his mind. The guy was screaming that he was there since 11 am. I said so you should have just pushed the button.

went with the boyfriend at around 1230 to the La Mesa TRU, there were about 15 people or so, varying ages, mostly kids trading and being confuzzled about how to download manaphy. we just flipped on our systems, and the rest was pretty self-explainatory. didnt bother with the coupon, as we didnt see anything that caught our eye.

I went with my boyfriend and a mutual friend to TRU like, 5-7 minutes until 3. There were no Pokémon DS people anywhere. Just us and some sign telling us how to get Manaphy.

We downloaded Manaphy, but we didn't get the booklet and the other stuff. We didn't know those existed. We completely forgot about the coupon, though. =( Oh well.

The funnest part, though, was that the three of us woke up at 2:30 or so rushed over to TRU in record time. One of my scariest car rides ever. D=

Ours went pretty smoothly. There was no wait, but then again we didn't show up until about 1. Got the $5 off coupon but there was nothing I wanted. We were also given the booklets, stickers, bookmarks, and coloring sheets.

Pretty sweet event and my first for Pokemon as I am a Pokemon newb. Thanks go out to those who instructed me on the ways of Pokemon.

Just FYI, guys: I was at TRU yesterday to get Phantom Hourglass and they still had a stack of the Pokemon booklets with the stickers and bookmarks. The clerk said it was fine if I took one. So you may still be able to snag one.

Also, has anyone tried going in there and seeing if the Manaphy giveaway is still active? It's possible they never turned it off, right?

[quote name='Tybee']Just FYI, guys: I was at TRU yesterday to get Phantom Hourglass and they still had a stack of the Pokemon booklets with the stickers and bookmarks. The clerk said it was fine if I took one. So you may still be able to snag one.

Also, has anyone tried going in there and seeing if the Manaphy giveaway is still active? It's possible they never turned it off, right?[/quote]

I thought the same thing. I'm going to that side of town on Friday, so I will probably try it then.

[quote name='Tybee']Just FYI, guys: I was at TRU yesterday to get Phantom Hourglass and they still had a stack of the Pokemon booklets with the stickers and bookmarks. The clerk said it was fine if I took one. So you may still be able to snag one.

Also, has anyone tried going in there and seeing if the Manaphy giveaway is still active? It's possible they never turned it off, right?[/quote]

I don't know about that. one of the guys that works at toys r us where I live said after they do that, they put up what ever they did it on in the back and lock it up. it may be different in different locations though, it wouldn't hurt to check.

[quote name='Tybee']Also, has anyone tried going in there and seeing if the Manaphy giveaway is still active? It's possible they never turned it off, right?[/quote]

I overheard the CSR talking to another about sending a "unit" back to Nintendo the Monday after the event.

I wasn't able to go. :( Is this Manaphy any different from the one you get from Ranger? Did it come with any items?

Anyone have an extra bookmark or guide from the event for a fellow CAG and Pokemon fan?

[quote name='Collectordragon']I wasn't able to go. :( Is this Manaphy any different from the one you get from Ranger? Did it come with any items?

Anyone have an extra bookmark or guide from the event for a fellow CAG and Pokemon fan?[/quote]it's different because the OT is TRU with trainer ID 09297 I think. it comes with a red scarf iirc

bread's done
Back