Poll: Gaming Time

CrimsonPaw

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Hey all, I'm starting to realize that as my kids are getting older that I'm having less and less time that I can devote to gaming. I have an 8 year old and a 2 year old and it seems that I've got stuff going on 4 nights out of the week. Those nights we don't have anything going on we're working with my 8 year old doing homework or picking up around the house (those with kids will COMPLETELY understand that), giving me about 2 hours, on average, per week to game.

So I created this poll to see what kind of gaming time the rest of the community finds time for in correspondence to their parental status. This poll is for everyone and is non-scientific research to backup a theory I have on parenting and basic gaming time.

Mods: Thanks for moving this into the correct forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Should be in general gaming.

I'm 30, not married and have no kids. I game less than 10 hours a week. Occasionally I'll play more if I have more free time and just picked up a new game that sucks me in or something.

But most weeks it's at most 1-2 nights for a couple hours. I work a lot and have a lot of other hobbies I put ahead of gaming these days.

No kids and game probably 10 or more hours a week. I usually play 1-2 hours a night, and pretty late at night sometimes on the weekends. I have the feeling that'll drop quite a bit in the next month or two since my backlog is being cleared out.

Married no kids I'd say if I have nothing to do I'll game about 2 hrs a night 3-4 nights our of the week and a little on Sundays

No kids. More then 10 hrs a week. I average about 15-20 a week. Sometimes 40 im playing a good game. and I have a fulltime job so im not just sitting on my ass all day

Interesting results, many without kids and are split down the middle on the gaming time. I'm almost wondering if 10 hours is too much as a "breaking point", but interesting non-the-less.

WOW, I'm surprised to see that only 2 people so far have kids, the other 28 don't have any. I would have thought there were more parents on here ... then again it only captures the audience that a) comes into this forum and b) enter into the thread.

Single, no kids. Average playtime I would say less than 10 hours in a week, but there are occasions when a new game will come out and my playtime will easily jump over 10 hours in that week.

I don't have any kids and I game less than 10 hours a week because most of my free time goes to doing things with my family or my girlfriend. So, many times when I actually have free time to myself I catch up on TV shows and movies that I want to see then get a game or two in.

Married, 2 kids (4 and 1) and I game about 10 hours a week on average - all of it at night after everyone is sleeping. I'm so fucking tired.

[quote name='cdeener']I don't have any kids and I game less than 10 hours a week because most of my free time goes to doing things with my family or my girlfriend. So, many times when I actually have free time to myself I catch up on TV shows and movies that I want to see then get a game or two in.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's me as well. Work a lot and most of the time free time goes to social outings and at home it's more often catching up on movies/tv/books/watching sports and finding time to get an hour or 2 of gaming in a few times a week.

With the exception of the couple times a year I get sucked into a new game and then I'll play it more and watch less tv/movies etc.

Single, no kids (Thank fucking god), < 10 hrs. a week.

I don't have a schedule. I don't think I've played any games all week, but once I get on and it's a game I really like I could do 4 or more easy probably.

Married, 3 boys (1, 3 and 6) and I average slightly above 10 hours a week. Most of that time is playing DS or PSP but when I do play console games it is done after everyone is asleep or on the weekend.

Married, one six year old. We do game together, but he also has lots of other energetic activities (soccer, cub scouts, and just running around the neighbourhood being crazy). I usually game 1-2 hours a night after he goes to bed (I usually start with watching an episode of whatever TV on DVD I'm working on, currently Alias).
Other than social events via him, not many (today was the Pinewood Derby, so that was the entire morning). Occasionally we'll go out with friends but more likely we just go to one house or the other--that way the kids can play as well. Not really interested in movie theaters (except for Watchmen, I do want to see that in the theater) and by the time you add in babysitting costs it gets pretty expensive.
I don't watch "live" TV (in fact, we cancelled all but ultra basic cable and I haven't missed it) and don't follow sports other than his soccer games (and they don't keep score) so that's not a big part of my leisure time.

Single, no kids (thank God), and generally less than 10 hours a week.

Most of my gaming these days consists of playing CoD:WaW with a bunch of buddies from college from across the country, and that's more to chit-chat with them than anything else.

working on having a kid and although i picked the last option it doesn't freak me out. i'm at a point that i really want to have a little guy/gal around.

my wife is late, she's having morning sickness, very tired, and random crying sessions. though the tests keep coming back negative i do have high hopes.

I'm 16, almost always => 10 hours a week. During the summer when I don't have school it can easily go up to >20 hrs. a week :whistle2:o

[quote name='odintal']working on having a kid and although i picked the last option it doesn't freak me out. i'm at a point that i really want to have a little guy/gal around.

my wife is late, she's having morning sickness, very tired, and random crying sessions. though the tests keep coming back negative i do have high hopes.[/quote]
Good luck my man, my wife and I went through the same think with my second one .... took us 3 1/2 years to get pregnant. After doing everything under the sun (aside from in vitro) and looking into over-seas adoption, we found out one day we were pregnant. After those 3 1/2 years of monthly hell I (or I should say WE) opted that two was enough and I go snipped.

bread's done
Back