Pool Tables

yesiamaplant

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
This forum seemed the closest to what I'm looking for, so here goes:

A coworker is moving out of state, and she has offered to sell me her pool table (I just bought a house and am filling out a rec room). She doesn't know much about tables (neither do I, really), so all she was able to tell me is that it's regulation size (7.5'), and is not a slate top (probably fiberboard). She is asking $300. I don't know what to look for aside from the thing being level to tell me if it's worth $300 or not though.

Even if this deal doesn't work out, it's got me thinking I'll buy one anyway, so any deals or advice on purchasing pool tables is more than welcome.

Doing a little reading, it seems that they can call just about anything "regulation" as long as it's a 2:1 ratio, so I think that may be where her confusion came from. You're absolutely right though---if it's only a 7.5 foot fiberboard top then it doesn't sound like it would be worth what she's asking for it used.

Thanks! I'm going to still be looking around for a table, so any further advice is still appreciated.

If your going to buy a table buy one made with a slate top. If you don't you are wasting your money and will regret it down the road. Tables come in 3 sizes: 9ft, 8ft, and 7ft. The 7ft is what is called a barbox and is what most bars have in them. You can buy a used barbox for pretty good prices. Check craigslist and local amusement vending companies. If you want a larger table the 9ft tables take up alot of room. I would go with an 8ft table in that case. Then if you go out to a pool hall and are playing 9ft tables the change in size is not as noticeable. If your out and on a barbox the shots seem easier as well. I have played on all 3 and there are advantages to each. The best value is the barbox, IMO. I have played for 20+ years and the only negative to going from a 7ft table to a 9ft is that you have to get used to the long shots. The + is that you have alot more room to maneuver the cue ball if you know what your doing. Barbox tables tend to be 1 piece slate. If you have a choice 3 piece slate is considered better than 1 piece. I don't really know why other than that it is easier to transport 3 smaller pieces. If you have any questions feel free to send me a pm.

I think aside from the slate top, the condition/quality of the felt is very important too. IIRC it is not cheap to re-felt a table, and so if you get a good deal on a table that has crappy felt, it will cost a lot of money to re-felt.

The only pool table I ever "owned" was a crappy one my roomates and I got for free when we were living in a house in college. Hey we couldn't complain it was free- it had fiberboard top and although it was pretty level in the middle, the sides sagged (so your ball would "suck" onto the rails). We were able to fix that up by buying and installing some PVC piping underneath the holes that supported the edges of the table and helped even out the surface. It was a lot of fun but yeah if I were to buy a table I'd try to get a slate top as from what I hear the fiberboard ones WILL warp eventually. It's not a matter of if but when. However I don't know what the price difference is between fiberboard tables and slate. I was under the impression that the slate ones were at least a couple thousand dollars, so if a fiberboard one can be had for a few hundred, you will need to consider how much value you would get from it.

Ruahrc

Yes, felt is not cheap. The stuff I would use would run $150 ISH for the felt and that is putting it on yourself which I don't recommend. What city are you in?

Your coworker is relocating and has to get rid of the table. More than likely they won't get a hundred bucks for it. If the people buying there home don't want it they have to dispose of it and sometimes youcan't even get rid of them for free. I found a table for $200 on craigslist by me. Probably do the same in your area. It was slate.

[quote name='rmb']Yes, felt is not cheap. The stuff I would use would run $150 ISH for the felt and that is putting it on yourself which I don't recommend. What city are you in?

Your coworker is relocating and has to get rid of the table. More than likely they won't get a hundred bucks for it. If the people buying there home don't want it they have to dispose of it and sometimes youcan't even get rid of them for free. I found a table for $200 on craigslist by me. Probably do the same in your area. It was slate.[/QUOTE]

I'm in Tucson. It's a long story, but this lady is moving to San Diego from her house in Maricopa (about halfway between here and Phoenix), so it isn't exactly close. She has some other people who immediately snapped it up once I told her I wasn't interested.

Craigslist might be a good idea. I'll give it a shot after work today.

Here are some Tuscon ads off CL. I'd say try and find one with good cloth. Replacing the felt is expensive. I hadn't checked for some time and the Simonis cloth I'd use runs 175-200. Then add someone doing it. There are other cheaper options of course. A couple I linked are really worth looking at. I think the best one is actually the $7oo Connelly. At that price you may be able to find others. I'd recommend talking to one of the companies that service tables and asking about the pains of moving a table alone. I can say that a 1 piece slate barbox, the slate is very heavy. When I was in high school we had 4 very big guys when we moved it in. That $250 project you could have one of those services look at and give a quote on what needs to be done. Might be a good deal. Probably only if you did the wood finishing yourself. Figure that you take it apart and move it. Get it in place with bumpers and slate not attached. Refinish the wood. Then have them come in and resurface it and level. One other thing....when you do get one do not even consider any stick that has screw tips. 1 piece dufferin sticks are good bang for the buck. There are other cheap and good options as well. Obviously I play quite a bit from the info I am trying to give. My only regret is buying a town home that really don't have room for a table. That and years ago paying my rent to a friend with my $1000 custom cue.

Service and Installation
Another Service + Used Tables
$700 Very Nice
$450
$250 needs TLC
$250 Old Bar Box No pics
$125 need more info

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='yesiamaplant']I was looking at this one last night, and even with the necessary TLC, it might be worthwhile. Does Brunswick even make anything other than slate top tables?[/QUOTE]
Don't think so. Careful though. That 250 will be as much as that Connelly for 700. The Connelly also states or Best Offer. With the included accessories which are in good shape, I would check it out and go that route. The Brunswick for 250 didn't appear tohave any accessories and unless you can do al the work yourself will cost just as much if not more.

Connelly pool tables are well regarded. I would seriously take a look at that one.

bread's done
Back