Portal 2 (PS3) to include PC version (on Steam) FREE -- $54.99 at Amazon

KhrevalBruuk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
This is on both Kotaku and Joystiq: Valve announces that the PS3 version of Portal 2 will feature "full cross-platform compatibility: PS3 users can chat with Steam users, play multiplayer with them and even partake in cloud-based storage. The disparity between the PS3 and PC/Mac versions appears to be about non-existent now."

"If you play Portal 2 on PS3, you can play with people on a PC. Neat! And to make sure as many people as possible are doing just that, the PS3 version of the game will include the PC version.

"All players have to do once they get the game is link their PlayStation Network and Steam accounts. Once that's done, they'll have a Steam Play (so, PC and/or Mac) version of the game ready to download in their library list."

Amazon has Portal 2 :ps3: for $54.99 as I write this: http://www.amazon.com/Portal-2-Playstation-3/dp/B003O6E3C8?tag=cheapassgam08-20
To be fair, it appears that all retail purchases of the PS3 version quality -- not just simply those sold through Amazon. They just have the best pre-order price right now.

Valve's press release:
PORTAL 2 PLAYSTATION 3 STEAM FEATURES REVEALED

January 18, 2011 -- Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Half-Life and Counter-Strike) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced the Steam features shipping with the PlayStation 3 (PS3) version of Portal 2.

Marking the debut of Steam functioning on any next generation console, the features shipping in the PS3 version of Portal 2 include cross platform play (PC/Mac vs. PS3) for multiplayer games, persistent cloud-based storage of PS3 saved games, and cross platform chat (PC/Mac and PS3).

In addition, those who purchase Portal 2 for the PlayStation 3 may unlock a Steam Play (PC & Mac) copy of Portal 2 at no additional cost by linking their PSN and Steam accounts.

"We made a promise to gamers at E3 that Portal 2 for the PlayStation 3 would be the best console version of the product," said Gabe Newell, co-founder and president of Valve. "Working together with Sony we have identified a set of features we believe are very compelling to gamers. We hope to expand upon the foundation being laid in Portal 2 with more Steam features and functionality in DLC and future content releases."

"We designed the Portal 2 PS3 experience to be very straightforward for gamers," said Josh Weier, project lead on Portal 2 at Valve. "PS3 gamers will be able to simply drop the Blu-Ray disc in the PS3, link to their Steam account from inside the game, and all their Steam friends (on PC and Mac) will be visible and accessible for chat and game invites."

These features are made possible thru the use of Steam, Valve's platform for the delivery and management of games and digital content.

Portal 2 is due for release on the PlayStation 3, PC, Mac and Xbox 360 this April.

For more information, please visit www.thinkingwithportals.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I was already planning to get the PS3 version because of how badly MS handled Valve's other games; forcing pay-to-download for L4D/L4D2 expansions when the PC versions were free, and TF2 updates being blocked by MS requiring fees (ignoring the whole RAM argument). This totally locks me in. Ordered.

YEESSSS!! Thank You Valve so much you guys are the best, now I don't have to worry which version to get (PC or PS3) I'll just buy the PS3 version and get a free presumably Steam copy :applause:

I hope Steam can't infect the PS3 like it did when it ruined HL2 (PC) for me. Steam was the worst thing ever and kept me away from all Valve games since. I'm probably gonna stay away just in case.

wow this is AMAZING news. I played portal 1 on the 360 and for this kind of game, I like to be able to play with a remote controller and sit back and relax as I try and figure out the puzzles

MP with PCs will be interesting to say the least, does that mean we will be able to play their custom levels? Or hacked??

[quote name='LottaGames']I hope Steam can't infect the PS3 like it did when it ruined HL2 (PC) for me. Steam was the worst thing ever and kept me away from all Valve games since. I'm probably gonna stay away just in case.[/QUOTE]

These people still exist?

[quote name='LottaGames']I hope Steam can't infect the PS3 like it did when it ruined HL2 (PC) for me. Steam was the worst thing ever and kept me away from all Valve games since. I'm probably gonna stay away just in case.[/QUOTE]

I felt the same way as well... 10 years ago. At the time I didn't want to install this unknown "steam" thing just to play my game.

But if you haven't tried Steam since then you are really missing out on some great games, and deals. Steam has come a long way, and is one of the best gaming platforms out there for PC & Mac these days.

ROFL, if you dont have steam you FAIL :roll::lol:

this is perfect.. i can't play first person games with a controller and my girlfriend can't play them on a keyboard... so we'll split the cost and both get the copy of the game that we want :)

..and get to play together!

[quote name='Trance Addix']Not really hyped for Portal, but this is a great deal for anyone interested :)[/QUOTE]

The future implications could be big too.
May pave the road for the next half-life or L4D3 to work cross-platform too?

[quote name='ras752000']The future implications could be big too.
May pave the road for the next half-life or L4D3 to work cross-platform too?[/QUOTE]

Or maybe even Sony letting Valve have a "Steam Store" on PSN for digital downloads. Would be a win-win if Sony got a share of the royalties.

I was going to get it just for PC but now I am getting it for PS3. Now I just need to buy one....

Wow. Wish the 360 version featured cross-platform online too (and the free Steam version). I don't have a PS3. Sad. Can't justify buying one now, so I'm SOL. Hopefully the 360 version is still good by it's lonesome.

[quote name='daminion']I felt the same way as well... 10 years ago. At the time I didn't want to install this unknown "steam" thing just to play my game.

But if you haven't tried Steam since then you are really missing out on some great games, and deals. Steam has come a long way, and is one of the best gaming platforms out there for PC & Mac these days.[/QUOTE]

Nah, after what that 'virus' did to my PC there hasn't been any desire to reintroduce that problem back into my system. Even the freebies weren't enough. I was going to try the first Portal until I found out Steam came with it and seriously have ignored everything since. Awful program...

Had the console remained Steam-free there's a possibility I'd consider one of their games again. This news isn't great. It pissed me off THAT badly.

[quote name='LottaGames']Nah, after what that 'virus' did to my PC there hasn't been any desire to reintroduce that problem back into my system. Even the freebies weren't enough. I was going to try the first Portal until I found out Steam came with it and seriously have ignored everything since. Awful program...

Had the console remained Steam-free there's a possibility I'd consider one of their games again. This news isn't great. It pissed me off THAT badly.[/QUOTE]

Dumbest post of the year? Virus? Do you know how to use a PC?

You know what would be awesome? If Valve added PS Move support. I imagine that would be a very accurate way to play and would match up better against KB/Mouse users. Plus how cool would it be to have the move controller be a portal gun and the orb change from blue to orange when making portals?

[quote name='ssjmichael']You know what would be awesome? If Valve added PS Move support. I imagine that would be a very accurate way to play and would match up better against KB/Mouse users. Plus how cool would it be to have the move controller be a portal gun and the orb change from blue to orange when making portals?[/QUOTE]
Very cool idea, I think it would help sell the Move.
I guess I need to cancel my 360 pre order now...

[quote name='shingletingle']Dumbest post of the year? Virus? Do you know how to use a PC?[/QUOTE]

Probably still uses Windows 95.

Anyway, I wasn't even interested in the game but I will have to buy the PS3 version just to support this idea.

Now we just have to find out the angle here. What's to stop someone from buying the PS3 version, getting the free PC version, and then selling the PS3 version for 30-40 bucks? Even if they only get $30 for it, that's still getting the PC version for $25. They can't be that generous.

[quote name='Xfactor19990']so wait is it a voucher? Like can I buy my PS3 copy, redeem on steam and sell the PS3 version?[/QUOTE]

i believe you link your psn and steam accounts.

certainly they don't expect you to stick the BluRay Disc into your PC, since very few pcs have them right now.

so you should be able to offload the ps3 copy once you get the steam copy working

[quote name='Salamando3000']Now we just have to find out the angle here. What's to stop someone from buying the PS3 version, getting the free PC version, and then selling the PS3 version for 30-40 bucks? Even if they only get $30 for it, that's still getting the PC version for $25. They can't be that generous.[/QUOTE]

They're being *more* generous. You're getting the PC version for FREE.

What you do with the $60 PS3 version is up to you, just like any other game you would buy in the store.

[quote name='shingletingle']Dumbest post of the year? Virus? Do you know how to use a PC?[/QUOTE]

Maybe yours. Yes, virus. Steam did things I did not ask and prevented me from playing HL2 on numerous occasions. Do you think if I had a positive experience I'd reformat one of my drives to ensure the program was gone? And then ignore the free games to avoid another infection? Trust me, it's a long story with nothing good to speak of. All I want to know is whether the PS3 version will be clean and worth trying at some point in the future.

[quote name='CountChoculitis']Or maybe even Sony letting Valve have a "Steam Store" on PSN for digital downloads. Would be a win-win if Sony got a share of the royalties.[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I was just thinking. Steam sales on PS3. AND having it so you could buy both PC and PS3 versions at once. Only going to happen for this and possibly a few other games, but one can dream

[quote name='LottaGames']Maybe yours. Yes, virus. Steam did things I did not ask and prevented me from playing HL2 on numerous occasions. Do you think if I had a positive experience I'd reformat one of my drives to ensure the program was gone? And then ignore the free games to avoid another infection? Trust me, it's a long story with nothing good to speak of. All I want to know is whether the PS3 version will be clean and worth trying at some point in the future.[/QUOTE]

If PC steam is not "clean" enough for you, safe to say the PS3 version will not be either

[quote name='smoger']They're being *more* generous. You're getting the PC version for FREE.

What you do with the $60 PS3 version is up to you, just like any other game you would buy in the store.[/QUOTE]

Allow me to rephrase...if they simply include (1) a PS3 disc for Portal 2, and (2) a process with key to unlock Portal 2 on your steam account, why would anyone buy just the PC version? If they buy the PS3 version for $55, unlock Portal 2 for Steam, and sell the PS3 version for $30, they effectively just bought the PC version for $25.

[quote name='Salamando3000']Now we just have to find out the angle here. What's to stop someone from buying the PS3 version, getting the free PC version, and then selling the PS3 version for 30-40 bucks? Even if they only get $30 for it, that's still getting the PC version for $25. They can't be that generous.[/QUOTE]

Then you don't know valve.They have a long history of being very generous. They always release loads of new content for their games for FREE...not to mention the insane sales they have on steam, selling high profile games for the price of a foot long sub. There's no catch here. Valve has not treated the ps3 well in the past and is making amends.

[quote name='LottaGames']Maybe yours. Yes, virus. Steam did things I did not ask and prevented me from playing HL2 on numerous occasions. Do you think if I had a positive experience I'd reformat one of my drives to ensure the program was gone? And then ignore the free games to avoid another infection? Trust me, it's a long story with nothing good to speak of. All I want to know is whether the PS3 version will be clean and worth trying at some point in the future.[/QUOTE]

with all the millions of people who use STEAM with no problem at all every single day, you really think their software is the issue?

sounds like more of a PEBKAC thing to me.

What a wonderful gesture. I know that I often deliberate over whether or not to get the more expensive console version of a game when someday in the future I may have a PC that can handle it.

This is a good way to encourage immediate purchases from those who would otherwise wait until their gaming hardware catches up.

[quote name='Salamando3000']Allow me to rephrase...if they simply include (1) a PS3 disc for Portal 2, and (2) a process with key to unlock Portal 2 on your steam account, why would anyone buy just the PC version? If they buy the PS3 version for $55, unlock Portal 2 for Steam, and sell the PS3 version for $30, they effectively just bought the PC version for $25.[/QUOTE]

Right. but..

1. Not everyone is a CAG.
2. Not everyone has a PS3(which will probably be required for the account linking process)
3. Not everyone wants to buy a physical disc(which is why many use Steam)
4. It'll probably be $30 on Steam within a few months anyway. (even if only for a 1-3 day sale)

This is awesome. I'm not gonna have my gaming PC much longer, otherwise I'd jump on this... Although I might eventually get it for PS3 anyways, in which case I'll have both just in case :)

Thanks op. Already had this preordered through a goldbox deal ($59.99->$56.99), asked Amazon to match the current price, and since the goldbox discount remains intact I now have this ordered for $52.24 :)

And yay for free Steam copy, what a great idea.

I am very glad for this
Unexpected of course...

Valve and Sony are going to deliver this year.
We will be expecting the updates that will be released on PC to be released on PS3 thanks to steamworks.
:D

Now, if we can only get TF2 and L4D to come to the ps3 and we will also grab their free DLC and updates and probably play with the PC gamers.

[quote name='LottaGames']
Had the console remained Steam-free there's a possibility I'd consider one of their games again. [/QUOTE]
You best be trolling.

If this turns out to be a voucher Ima order the ps3 version, do all the crap to get the free steam version then promptly trade the ps3 version in or sell it on ebay.

I was looking forward to Portal 2 before this... but this is the best icing Ive ever had on my cake!

I am very glad for this
Unexpected of course...

Valve and Sony are going to deliver this year.
We will be expecting the updates that will be released on PC to be released on PS3 thanks to steamworks.
:D

Now, if we can only get TF2 and L4D to come to the ps3 and we will also grab their free DLC and updates and probably play with the PC gamers.

[quote name='LottaGames']
Had the console remained Steam-free there's a possibility I'd consider one of their games again. [/QUOTE]
You best be trolling.

Buy a 360 and enjoy the non-updated 360 version then

Thank goodness for the ignore button. I have been using Steam for years and I have never had a problem. The only one losing out by not using Steam is you. Steam is by far the greatest PC delivery system for games. Without Steam, I'm not even sure if I would still pursue PC games as much as I do. Go troll somewhere else.

As for this deal, I'm definitely going in. Steam + PS3 = combination that can never fail :) I was torn on what version to get, but now I don't have to be :D

It's *possible* that Mac users will get Portal 2 free through this. I love how Steam handles "ownership". I bought TF2 for the PC and when it was released on the Mac, I installed Steam... and there it was in my account from owning the PC version. Told it to install, and off I went using the same account+saves as the PC version.

Sony needs to just hand their entire PS3 online multiplayer and content handling over to Valve. I would *totally* be on board.

BTW, free DLC FTW!

[quote name='smoger']Right. but..

2. Not everyone has a PS3(which will probably be required for the account linking process)
4. It'll probably be $30 on Steam within a few months anyway. (even if only for a 1-3 day sale)[/QUOTE]

I'm willing to wager that the average PC Gamer is a more knowledgeable consumer than the average console gamer, and figuring out what I described doesn't take a lot of work. We know it will require linking a steam account to your PS3 account in some way, but a lot of PS account stuff can be done online...unless it requires going through the game interface, they may not need a PS3 at all.

Just sayin', this deal sounds way too awesome. This goes above and beyond just being generous or making amends. If it comes with no strings attached, they won't be able to take my money fast enough.

[quote name='emperordahc']
sony needs to just hand their entire ps3 online multiplayer and content handling over to valve. I would *totally* be on board.

btw, free dlc ftw![/quote]

fund.
This.
Shit.

We would be able to join the servers created by other people and experience good multiplayer with mods.
I am anxious to know how exactly steamworks will work on the ps3.

[quote name='smoger']Right. but..

4. It'll probably be $30 on Steam within a few months anyway. (even if only for a 1-3 day sale)[/QUOTE]
Sounds like a 360 fanboy with their " Not everyone wants blue ray, or free online." Well sir, what if you DID have this? I dont knock on Wii deals because I dont play mine, what gives you the right to knock on other deals just because they're not for everyone?

[quote name='cRodz']Buy a 360 and enjoy the non-updated 360 version then[/QUOTE]

Oh hell no, owning a 360 is just as bad a solution. Why can't they just make the Steam free 360 version for the PS3? That's all everyone wants. Or perhaps this game will run even if I don't link accounts. Hell I doubt it still works anyway. They probably purged it.

[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']Thank goodness for the ignore button. I have been using Steam for years and I have never had a problem. The only one losing out by not using Steam is you. Steam is by far the greatest PC delivery system for games. Without Steam, I'm not even sure if I would still pursue PC games as much as I do. Go troll somewhere else.[/QUOTE]

Then you're not using it right. Steam installs without permission, I had to DL HL2 when I bought the retail disc to avoid such a wait, it refused to start the game when my internet went out for a day or two, refused to let me play because I didn't want the update and when it DID update it broke the game (my ammo counter moved to the middle of the screen and the backgrounds were all rainbow colored), and it ran in the background when I didn't want it to. Do you see anything positive in that list? How am I losing out on all that 'fun'? I should mention too that I'm a game collector and prefer physical media, so that's not a match either.

People only use the term troll when they're proven wrong without a better comeback. Save it. I asked a Q and don't need your nonsense.

[quote name='warfare360']Sounds like a 360 fanboy with their " Not everyone wants blue ray, or free online." Well sir, what if you DID have this? I dont knock on Wii deals because I dont play mine, what gives you the right to knock on other deals just because they're not for everyone?[/QUOTE]

You are being unfair. They were patiently explaining why most people won't buy the PS3 version and immediately flip it, keeping the PC copy for themselves. You realize that the person you are saying this to was commenting on /this post?/

Originally Posted by Salamando3000
Allow me to rephrase...if they simply include (1) a PS3 disc for Portal 2, and (2) a process with key to unlock Portal 2 on your steam account, why would anyone buy just the PC version? If they buy the PS3 version for $55, unlock Portal 2 for Steam, and sell the PS3 version for $30, they effectively just bought the PC version for $25.

bread's done
Back