Portal 2 PS3/Xbox $55 + $20 Egift Card at Walmart.com

[quote name='VaultDweller']that is an awesome deal, but i fear this game will be just like nba jam, small games that should be downloadable only but EA puts them on disc just to charge $60[/QUOTE]

The original Portal was like a demo. They've said this. Portal 2 will be a proper full game along the length of Half-Life 2. It's gonna be amazing.

[quote name='Drek']
Power A wireless PS3 controller. Quality 3rd party pad that is a great option for 360 style controls on PS3.
[/QUOTE]

I have this controller. The analog sticks have a dead zone the size of Texas. It makes gaming with it almost unplayable for me.

Am I the only one who could not get Site-to-Store to work? I tried several stores and was always told it wasn't possible and to select a ship-to address.

[quote name='gordojones88']I have this controller. The analog sticks have a dead zone the size of Texas. It makes gaming with it almost unplayable for me.

.[/QUOTE]

I heard that the dead zone really varies per controller. Buy local and exchange until you get a good one. Wired version is only 20 bucks.

Won't be trying it myself, though, because I'm a weirdo who prefers the PS3 controller for FPS's.

[quote name='gordojones88']I have this controller. The analog sticks have a dead zone the size of Texas. It makes gaming with it almost unplayable for me.

.[/QUOTE]

damn, I like the way they look too. :bomb:

ah well, thanks for the info

[quote name='Drek']
POWER-A-Pro-Elite-Wireless-Controller-Front-1024x732.jpg

Power A wireless PS3 controller. Quality 3rd party pad that is a great option for 360 style controls on PS3.[/QUOTE]

Never buy this controller, such a pos.

[quote name='Drek']Power A wireless PS3 controller. Quality 3rd party pad that is a great option for 360 style controls on PS3.[/QUOTE]

I actually just bought this for $15 on eBay because I can't see myself using the PS3 controller for Portal.

So far, with playing Heavy Rain and Uncharted 2, I have had no issues with a dead space or any other function. Works perfect for me, but I don't have any FPS to test it out on. It doesn't feel exactly like an Xbox controller, but it's good enough for me.

-

Also (I tried asking before) does anyone know if this should be delivered the day of release or does it take Walmart a couple days to get things out to people?

[quote name='jackelope']I heard that the dead zone really varies per controller. Buy local and exchange until you get a good one. Wired version is only 20 bucks.

Won't be trying it myself, though, because I'm a weirdo who prefers the PS3 controller for FPS's.[/QUOTE]

You are not a weirdo. I love DS3 for FPS games. Duke2.0 sucks monkey balls for shooters in general. God the dpad is god aweful and analog sticks suck. Weird ass placement too.

DS3 is perfect size and analog sticks are in the perfect spot. Those who have issues with a Dual Shock must of missed the PS1/PS2 era of superior gaming.

[quote name='jackelope']I heard that the dead zone really varies per controller. Buy local and exchange until you get a good one. Wired version is only 20 bucks.

Won't be trying it myself, though, because I'm a weirdo who prefers the PS3 controller for FPS's.[/QUOTE]

I still dont understand what the argument FOR asymmetrical analog sticks is. How exactly does the 360's layout lend itself to fps play over the dualshock layout? I can use either, but I prefer the DS3 as I find the bumpers on the 360 controller to be uncomfortable to get to. and while the DS3 triggers (when not using realtriggers) aren't as good, the l1/r1 are much better.

anyway sorry to derail, just wondering what the logic for that argument is.

[quote name='rbanke']I still dont understand what the argument FOR asymmetrical analog sticks is. How exactly does the 360's layout lend itself to fps play over the dualshock layout? I can use either, but I prefer the DS3 as I find the bumpers on the 360 controller to be uncomfortable to get to. and while the DS3 triggers (when not using realtriggers) aren't as good, the l1/r1 are much better.

anyway sorry to derail, just wondering what the logic for that argument is.[/QUOTE]

The argument is 100% preference. Anyone who says that one or the other is definitely the better of the two is completely full of it. It's all about what you like. Myself I like the DS3 because I've been playing FPS's that way since the first Medal of Honor. And Real Triggers are the tits. I need new ones though, my jackass friend pops them on and off when hes using them (despite my constant rage) and as a result they just pop off during use all the time now :bomb:

I use the NES Max for all my shooters. *nod*

This is a nice deal, but I don't shop at WalMart. If Amazon does something to match this, that'll be a consideration, but I'm not making any decisions until the KMart promotion is revealed.

I'm also waiting for Valve to reveal the specifics of the PS3 Steam unlock feature before forming an opinion on that. Was going to buy the PC version but will likely get the PS3 one instead, without reselling. I've never sold off any of my used games.

[quote name='rbanke']I still dont understand what the argument FOR asymmetrical analog sticks is. How exactly does the 360's layout lend itself to fps play over the dualshock layout? I can use either, but I prefer the DS3 as I find the bumpers on the 360 controller to be uncomfortable to get to. and while the DS3 triggers (when not using realtriggers) aren't as good, the l1/r1 are much better.

anyway sorry to derail, just wondering what the logic for that argument is.[/QUOTE]

I use both..and me neither man. I don't understand what's so much better about the 360 controller other than personal preference.

[quote name='IPlay4Fun']Question: WHY does everyone want amazon to price match? why not just buy walmart?[/QUOTE]

Amazon is a lot easier to deal with from my experience, plus I don't buy stuff at walmart.

While I freely admit that the 360's Dpad sucks, I greatly prefer the 360 pad to any of the DualShocks. For me, it's not specifically that the analog sticks are asymmetrical. That's related, but indirectly. Instead, it's because the 360's left stick is directly in front of my thumb, so at rest my thumb is pointing directly toward Up on the stick. If I want to push Up on the 360's left stick, I move my thumb straight forward. Intuitive, comfortable.

In contrast, because the DS3's left stick is positioned differently, at rest my thumb is pointing diagonally Up/Right on the stick. So here, if I want to push Up on the DS3's left stick, I have to move my thumb not just straight forward, but forward-left. Doable, sure, but to me, it's a little awkward and just not as comfortable.

[quote name='CyReN']Amazon is a lot easier to deal with from my experience, plus I don't buy stuff at walmart.[/QUOTE]

gotcha

[quote name='IPlay4Fun']Question: WHY does everyone want amazon to price match? why not just buy walmart?[/QUOTE]

Amazon has the highest trade in values around. Also they accept DVDs and textbooks.

Consequently many of us have hundreds of dollars piled up there :). Not to mention the 50% off livingsocial thing many of us piled up on.

I ordered yesterday and just got my e-gift card as well. While you can't use an e-gift card in-store, you CAN use the site to spend it on a physical gift card. Shipping is free, though it may take up to a week to arrive.

My wife and I do quite a bit of grocery shopping at Walmart, so this ended up making more sense for us than finding something else on the site to buy.

[quote name='Drek']
POWER-A-Pro-Elite-Wireless-Controller-Front-1024x732.jpg

Power A wireless PS3 controller. Quality 3rd party pad that is a great option for 360 style controls on PS3.[/QUOTE]

I have one of these, great controller except for the HORRIBLE dead zones on the analog sticks. After using these for a month I thought it would let me get used to the analog sticks but I went back to the DS3 anyway for shooters since the dead zones were just too bad. After a while I got used to the DS3's layout anyway....

[quote name='abilyk']I ordered yesterday and just got my e-gift card as well. While you can't use an e-gift card in-store, you CAN use the site to spend it on a physical gift card. Shipping is free, though it may take up to a week to arrive.

My wife and I do quite a bit of grocery shopping at Walmart, so this ended up making more sense for us than finding something else on the site to buy.[/QUOTE]

sweet, i think i may do that instead.

Amazon also does not charge tax in many states as well. That's about an extra $3-4.

No tax for me, free 2 day shipping, and over $100 in credit that I got from flipping games to amazon, plus a general dislike for Wal-Mart means I prefer amazon to them. Now if K-Mart were to match this in addition to amazon then I'll be torn between where to get it.

Ok looking at amazons wording you dont even get a 5 dollar credit you just pay 55 for it instead of 60 which is weak. I bit at walmart

>No sales tax for most states
>Free S&H
>They don't charge you until the order ships
>Most CAG's have some or lots of credit stored up
>Shipping is much faster
>Customer service is stellar

All-in-all, most CAG's would rather spend their money with Amazon, as is becoming standard with the whole US.

[quote name='AwRy108']>No sales tax for most states
>Free S&H
>They don't charge you until the order ships
>Most CAG's have some or lots of credit stored up
>Shipping is much faster
>Customer service is stellar

All-in-all, most CAG's would rather spend their money with Amazon, as is becoming standard with the whole US.[/QUOTE]

Very true. I pretty much buy everything on Amazon - except groceries. And if Amazon Fresh was available in my area, I'd do that too. :cool:

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Damn $35 for portal 2? damn good.[/QUOTE]

Technically $55 for Portal 2 and $20 off a future game purchase, but yeah, good deal.

Amazon = Not owned by Satan. (Along w/ the no tax and free release date delivery.)

I personally don't mind buying at walmart, at least in this situation. But then again I don't have anything like the cool Kmarts that have those crazy game deals, so I take what deals I can get.

If amazon matches I will order, otherwise I'll wait for this to drop in price. Come to think of it, I think I might go ahead an put a pre-order in in anticipation that they'll match this, because they may well raise the base price back up to retail. This way I'll have the $5 lower price locked in. If they never match the gift card, I'll cancel.

EDIT: and done. Preorder placed at amazon... subject to them matching this gift card deal. If not, it's good as canceled.

Amazon is matching!

Get a $20 Amazon.com Credit
Pre-order Portal 2 for PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360 and receive $5 off the original price of $59.99 as well as $20 in promotional credit toward the purchase of items shipped and sold by Amazon.com (certain exclusions apply, including Kindle books, MP3s, and video rentals and downloads). The promotional credit will be added directly to your Amazon.com account within two days after your order ships. Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon.com. This offer will be extended to all existing pre-orders. Promotions valid on all existing orders. Amazon reserves the right to change or terminate this promotion at any time. Limit one per customer.

"This offer will be extended to all existing pre-orders."
The only thing that makes me nervous is the "Amazon reserves the right to change or terminate this promotion at any time."

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys for making Amazon match. Didn't wanna pay taxes here in NJ and I use Amazon more than any other site anyways. The $20 credit will surely be going towards Duke Forever.

Sheeeeeeeit.........Walmart already sent me the $20 eGift card, but I haven't used it. Anybody know if it's possible to cancel the walmart.com order? (they can have their gift card back, I wanna order it from Amazon)

Man oh man, would it ever be nice if the PC version were included (for those of us who don't have PS3s and don't want to mess around with friends' PS3s on this deal).

Regardless, though, awesome deal.

How do you cancel the walmart preorder? I cannot figure out how to cancel it. There is not cancel button on the order page so I emailed CS and got a reply back that once the order has shipped it can no longer be canceled??

Wow I can safely say I will never preorder anything through walmart.com again. Talked to customer service on the phone and they basically said my preorder cannot be canceled and that I would have to return the game for a refund (minus shipping charges) after it ships and I receive it. That is some BS.

Seems more economical to me for walmart to just cancel the order. All the work required to ship it out and deliver to me, then I have to drive to walmart to return it. Lots of waste.

[quote name='CountChoculitis']Wow I can safely say I will never preorder anything through walmart.com again. Talked to customer service on the phone and they basically said my preorder cannot be canceled and that I would have to return the game for a refund (minus shipping charges) after it ships and I receive it. That is some BS.

Seems more economical to me for walmart to just cancel the order. All the work required to ship it out and deliver to me, then I have to drive to walmart to return it. Lots of waste.[/QUOTE]

That's bullshit. I'd contest the charge with my CC company if they won't cancel.

bread's done
Back