Portal 2 (Xbox/PS3) $55 + $20 Amazon Credit

What's to stop one from buying the PS3 version, linking it with your steam account, getting the free PC copy, and then trading it right back in? Hrmmm.

[quote name='jondy1703']What's to stop one from buying the PS3 version, linking it with your steam account, getting the free PC copy, and then trading it right back in? Hrmmm.[/QUOTE]
It could go either way, since we don't yet know exactly how the linking will work.

[quote name='CaseX']Does anyone else feel the same way I do? I find it hard to justify buying Portal 2 as a full retail game when I know in the back of my mind that it was originally a small game in Orange Box (albeit a very fun and challenging game), and then became an XBLA game due to its popularity. I'm sure they added a ton more levels, different gameplay, etc., to justify the $60 MSRP, but still....

EDIT: I'm not hating on the game. I loved and enjoyed it in Orange Box. I just have a hard time justifying to myself that I should pay so much.[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind that, from what I've read, this is at least two games as long as or longer than Portal 1 in a single game -- the single player game with Chell and the co-op game starring two new characters. From what I've read, they're not just recycling the same levels for solo and using them for co-op (or vice verse)...the two modes are essentially two completely different Portal games in a single package.

I knew I could count on my fellow CAG's to send Amazon a message about Walmart's price. Great PM to go with my pre-order which now comes out to $5 + $20 credit! Thank You!

[quote name='Yolky']I knew I could count on my fellow CAG's to send Amazon a message about Walmart's price. Great PM to go with my pre-order which now comes out to $5 + $20 credit! Thank You![/QUOTE]

When was there a $5 credit on portal 2? All i ever saw was a $5 discount ($55).

Even so you think they'll actually give you $25?

[quote name='fujimitsu']When was there a $5 credit on portal 2? All i ever saw was a $5 discount ($55).

Even so you think they'll actually give you $25?[/QUOTE]

There was a $5 credit when I looked this weekend. Not a chance the guy is getting both though.

edit: I just read the post you quoted. I don't think that's what he was saying. He's saying it is costing him $5 (after credit I assume) and he gets a $20 credit.

[quote name='dino88']There was a $5 credit when I looked this weekend. Not a chance the guy is getting both though.

edit: I just read the post you quoted. I don't think that's what he was saying. He's saying it is costing him $5 (after credit I assume) and he gets a $20 credit.[/QUOTE]

That's what i thought. Would only potentially work if the $5 was already credited... but they don't give it until they bill you so it's going to be $20.

I know that gift credit immediately goes back to your account if you cancel the order you used it on, but does anyone know if this is the same with promo credit?

Thanks Amazon! This is what I've been waiting for. I had a gold box offer for $52.24, but I knew I would only keep the pre-order if $20 was credited on top. $32 net is good enough for me. Funny enough, $35 isn't. Amazon, you got me right under my personal breaking point for this game.

[quote name='dino88']I know that gift credit immediately goes back to your account if you cancel the order you used it on, but does anyone know if this is the same with promo credit?[/QUOTE]
Didn't even think about that, sure hope so

[quote name='dino88']I know that gift credit immediately goes back to your account if you cancel the order you used it on, but does anyone know if this is the same with promo credit?[/QUOTE]

As far as I know, it does as long as it's not past the expiration date. But if it disappears regardless, you can probably always shoot Amazon a complaint.

Also, be aware that some promotional credit is one-time use only, so if you don't use all $20 at once, it might be gone. Usually that's for credit that can ONLY be used for future game purchases, but in this case the credit seems general, so I don't think you need to worry about this.

I believe it go back to your account as well. I was hoping for PC version discount as well but this will end up cheaper with the 20 dollar credit.

Waiting on my Crysis 2 credit, then I will order it. I think that the only games that I have paid any realy amount for this year has been Dragon Age 2 and SPace Quest 1 (EGA realease 2).

[quote name='tossin']As far as I know, it does as long as it's not past the expiration date. But if it disappears regardless, you can probably always shoot Amazon a complaint.

Also, be aware that some promotional credit is one-time use only, so if you don't use all $20 at once, it might be gone. Usually that's for credit that can ONLY be used for future game purchases, but in this case the credit seems general, so I don't think you need to worry about this.[/QUOTE]

I have the general promo credit, so I don't think I have to worry about using it all at once (although I will be doing so, since it's only $15). I'm just going pay with my credit card and then change the method of payment when I'm 100% sure I want to keep the order. I have a month to make up my mind.

I already ordered it from Wal Mart yesterday and they sent the giftcard. I can't see any way to cancel my order. Anyone know if it's possible or am I screwed because they already emailed it? I want my Amazon. ;_;

Awesome deal! I was really hoping Amazon would match the Wal-Mart deal and of course they didn't disappoint! I ordered it for PS3 even though I think I will play it on Steam, so awesome that Valve is letting you do that.

Awesome! I've been checking Amazon 3 or 4 times a day since the Walmart deal started, hoping they'd match. So glad they finally did!

In for the 360 version. Thanks for posting this, OP!

[quote name='Svengoolie']I already ordered it from Wal Mart yesterday and they sent the giftcard. I can't see any way to cancel my order. Anyone know if it's possible or am I screwed because they already emailed it? I want my Amazon. ;_;[/QUOTE]

Its probably too late since you already got the gift card. Customer service might let you cancel the game but you will only get $35 back since you "bought" the gift card.

wow, Amazon is really rocking it this year. Killzone 3, Bulletstorm, now Portal 2, and I guess FEAR3, they really keep me going on this 40 or less release day no tax free shipping then flip back for 40 promo train. wootwoot all aboard!

[quote name='PenguinoMF']Its probably too late since you already got the gift card. Customer service might let you cancel the game but you will only get $35 back since you "bought" the gift card.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I just talked to a girl on their hotline and she said they could only refund me the 34.95.

By the way, love the Keywork picture. I'm the guy that started the tattoo thread on Cobalt many years back. It's my one claim to internet fame.

amz fixed the ps3 preorder page so the magical slick deals link isn't necessary anymore lol. i just went to amazon, searched portal 2 and it worked fine.

well, its not necessary til/if they sell out again.

I ordered this as soon as it came back up, it's effectively $35 for Portal 2 on the PS3 and PC on launch day with no tax. Very excited for this day, I've been looking forward to some new Portal for a while.

bread's done
Back