Portal Free until May 24th

[quote name='PhantomBlob']Thanks for posting, unfortunately I don't have steam so i'll have to give this a miss :p[/QUOTE]

It's a free digital distribution program.

There's apparently very strong evidence now that Steam is also coming to Linux. There's really no reason not to take advantage of this unless you already own Portal.

[quote name='IeptBarakat']http://store.steampowered.com/freeportal/

Mac and Pc.

All you need is a steam account.[/QUOTE]

Sounded good until the last line.

[quote name='PhantomBlob']Thanks for posting, unfortunately I don't have steam so i'll have to give this a miss :p[/QUOTE]

Yup, agreed. I had the misfourtune of using that disgusting program once and a free game isn't good enough to try again.

[quote name='IeptBarakat']It's a free digital distribution program.[/QUOTE]

No, it's a virus. Makes you update and break your games, doesn't let you play offline, and DL's or runs in the background without your permission. If it's not a virus it's clearly malware at the very least.

[quote name='louiedog']There's apparently very strong evidence now that Steam is also coming to Linux. There's really no reason not to take advantage of this unless you already own Portal.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad to see more things supporting Linux, Windows needs to go. I have wanted to try Portal, but as I said above it's simply not worth the trouble. Let me know when the game releases on its own, without Steam.

[quote name='DPsx7']
No, it's a virus. Makes you update and break your games, doesn't let you play offline, and DL's or runs in the background without your permission. If it's not a virus it's clearly malware at the very least.[/QUOTE]

Automatic updates is an option. It can be turned on and off.

You can play offline.

It doesn't run in the background if you don't want it to. You can chose to only turn it on when you want to play a game.

[quote name='DPsx7']Sounded good until the last line.

Yup, agreed. I had the misfourtune of using that disgusting program once and a free game isn't good enough to try again.

No, it's a virus. Makes you update and break your games, doesn't let you play offline, and DL's or runs in the background without your permission. If it's not a virus it's clearly malware at the very least.[/QUOTE]

Hyperbole and misinformation overload. Thanks for the laugh.

I can understand how some people have an issue with Steam, but god damn is that laying it on a bit thick.

[quote name='louiedog']There's apparently very strong evidence now that Steam is also coming to Linux. There's really no reason not to take advantage of this unless you already own Portal.[/QUOTE]

Makes me excited because I always wanted to try linux but didn't want the performance varying affects of WINE affecting my valve games.

Noob question here, so if I create a Steam account, install steam...I can get Portal for free on my windows pc? and if I buy a Mac in the future I'll be able to install for free and play it because of Steam Play?

[quote name='AceSam14']Noob question here, so if I create a Steam account, install steam...I can get Portal for free on my windows pc? and if I buy a Mac in the future I'll be able to install for free and play it because of Steam Play?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

[quote name='AceSam14']Noob question here, so if I create a Steam account, install steam...I can get Portal for free on my windows pc? and if I buy a Mac in the future I'll be able to install for free and play it because of Steam Play?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Note that only SteamPlay-badged games will be available to play on both PC and Mac at no additional charge.

Yes.

Lol. I was late.

[quote name='Mazakrov']Note: Not completely sure, but unlike free weekends, this is a permanent free game.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it's free. You are buying the game for $0.00.

[quote name='KillerRamen']I already own :360: The Orange Box, but getting :pc: Portal for free is really nice. :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

same I got ToB on the 360 but now that I just picked up Portal on steam the only game in the whole collection I'm missing now is Episode 2 on PC >_>

[quote name='meatwad3000']same I got ToB on the 360 but now that I just picked up Portal on steam the only game in the whole collection I'm missing now is Episode 2 on PC >_>[/QUOTE]

I bought HL2 back in 2005. I picked up TF2 for $2.49 back in October. Now I just need ep3 to come out and for it to be bundled with the previous two.

even if you dont have a decent pc just get a steam account and add this to you list for the future :) though portal ran great on my 4 year old laptop, now that i have a decent gaming rig and set everything to max setting with no frame drops its stunning

Would be great if I had a computer that could run Portal. Or any game really. Perhaps a free PS3 Orange Box next?!

[quote name='ShirtSizeXXXLXT']Sorry if this a silly question, but is Portal a "game for windows" game? Will it work with Live, and generate achievements?[/QUOTE]

It's a Steam game and it has Steam achievements. Games for Windows is essentially Microsoft's version of Steam. Steam came first.

Could someone help me? When I try to download steam and open it, it gives me an error saying I have to move it to a folder with write privileges. How can I solve this? I'm using vista btw.

[quote name='mistrsam']It's not free forever, it's only available until May 24th[/QUOTE]

Yup. It's on sale for FREE until the 24th. Just like the title says. Install it before then and it's yours forever.

I don't have the HDD space on my vintage Dell (yeah, it's pathetic). Will a partial D/L that I resume later work?

When you add Portal to your Steam account you can download and install it anywhere. So you can use a different computer, yes. (I hope that's what you were asking)

[quote name='GamerKingFaiz']When you add Portal to your Steam account you can download and install it anywhere. So you can use a different computer, yes. (I hope that's what you were asking)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply, but I guess I'm actually asking whether just adding Portal to the games section of my account is enough, or if I have to physically download it to take advantage of the deal. I guess I'll find out for sure, later.

[quote name='aspower']Thanks for the reply, but I guess I'm actually asking whether just adding Portal to the games section of my account is enough, or if I have to physically download it to take advantage of the deal. I guess I'll find out for sure, later.[/QUOTE]

Go to https://store.steampowered.com/account/. Under Licenses and subscriptions you should see "Portal - Complimentary (Opt In)" listed. It should also be listed under Recent Steam Store transactions. If you do, then you should be fine. If not, the game isn't tied to your account.

FWIW, I don't believe you need to actually download it. However, doing what I said above should let you know for sure.

[quote name='aspower']Thanks for the reply, but I guess I'm actually asking whether just adding Portal to the games section of my account is enough, or if I have to physically download it to take advantage of the deal. I guess I'll find out for sure, later.[/QUOTE]
Once it's in your list, it's staying there (except in cases like free weekends, where it clearly displays the "time remaining" next to the game list entry). You don't have to download it to "seal the deal" or anything.

bread's done
Back