possible Gamestop website credit card breach

fuck I just canceled my card and I have a Visa Checkout pre-order with BBY too. That means I'm going to be forced to cancel it, I guess. Damnit, Gamestop.
Id wait it out. Theres a good chance when they go to charge the card you'll be able to update it with your new card.

Id wait it out. Theres a good chance when they go to charge the card you'll be able to update it with your new card.
I already called them up and they actually updated the payment while I kept my Visa checkout discount. All good in the hood.

So I got a letter about the potential security breach, I had to get reissued a card a new, cost 5 dollars to replace.
I called gamestop cs to see if they could cover the fee, of course even after escalating they wouldnt budge?

Am I crazy to think they should take responsibilty for any fee's concerning thier security breach.

So I got a letter about the potential security breach, I had to get reissued a card a new, cost 5 dollars to replace.
I called gamestop cs to see if they could cover the fee, of course even after escalating they wouldnt budge?

Am I crazy to think they should take responsibilty for any fee's concerning thier security breach.
They charged you... Chase replaced mine for free and will be sending it express. In fact, my AmEx number was stolen a few years ago and that was replaced for free also.

This is the first time I've heard of anyone being charged to replace a card that was stolen.

Last edited by a moderator:
A month ago I got an email from my bank telling me it would be issuing a replacement card as a precaution for a credit card I have through it. The reason was due to a "compromise at an undisclosed merchant". Got the new card a couple weeks later and that was that. Then a couple days ago I got this same letter from Gamestop but thought it was another data breach. That is, until i saw the last four digits of the card indicated on the letter was the same card the bank already replaced.

I'm glad my bank is looking out for me, but wondering why Gamestop took so long to get the message out.
So I got a second letter from Gamestop today for a different card I had apparently also used at Gamestop in the past. It's funny though because this card actually had some weird charges that were flagged and I was contacted by that credit card company to validate if the those were made by me. This was about a week after my bank proactively stopped that first card. After I confirmed the charges were fraud, I got a call soon after from the credit card company and they confirmed whoever was making the repeated purchase attempts online did not have the CVV code to make them go through and that was why it was flagged. Got that resolved quickly and a new card issued.

I guess it is good that the issue on the second card apparently stemmed from the same data breach, otherwise I'd be left wondering how it got compromised because that credit card company didn't mention any data breaches with merchants.

They charged you... Chase replaced mine for free and will be sending it express. In fact, my AmEx number was stolen a few years ago and that was replaced for free also.

This is the first time I've heard of anyone being charged to replace a card that was stolen.
yeah its a work card, so its an out of country bank which does business through BoA, so im not surprised they dont have the same customer care as the big companies

So I got a second letter from Gamestop today for a different card I had apparently also used at Gamestop in the past.
Thanks - did get a 2nd letter but just thought it was another copy of first. Though I don't recognize the last 4 digits. May have been a virtual credit card number (Edit - yup it was). Guess I should track that down. The first card was replaced a month or so ago by bank - though i was pretty sure it was because of Gamestop breach it wasn't confirmed until the letter.

I've been fighting a ton of fraudulent charges on my card that all occurred in June, to the tune of almost $1300, and for the longest time, I was trying to figure out where my info may have been compromised. I just remembered that this happened, and from what I can tell, at least one other person on this forum had someone use their card for unauthorized purchases, too (also at Dunkin Donuts, just like mine was). Looking back, I should have ordered a new card the moment I received the letter from Gamestop, but forgot about it in the midst of everything I was doing at the time. I'm still waiting for my credit card company to refund me almost $100 (and I don't know why they haven't yet), but thankfully they've already refunded the rest.

I hope no one else has had to go through this, since it's been quite the stressful month for me as a result of it. I'm still angry at my credit card company for somehow not realizing that these purchases were nothing like the ones I've made with them for almost nine years now; no joke, some of the purchases included a hotel in Florida, then a restaurant in Washington state on the very next day. I'm someone who's very frugal with their card and rarely goes out of town, but I suddenly became a rich playboy gallivanting across the country and my CC company didn't think that was strange. I'm halfway tempted to shut down my entire account after seeing how lax their security was and given how little I use my credit card, but this has without a doubt taught me to keep a much closer eye on my accounts, either way.

I've been fighting a ton of fraudulent charges on my card that all occurred in June, to the tune of almost $1300, and for the longest time, I was trying to figure out where my info may have been compromised. I just remembered that this happened, and from what I can tell, at least one other person on this forum had someone use their card for unauthorized purchases, too (also at Dunkin Donuts, just like mine was). Looking back, I should have ordered a new card the moment I received the letter from Gamestop, but forgot about it in the midst of everything I was doing at the time. I'm still waiting for my credit card company to refund me almost $100 (and I don't know why they haven't yet), but thankfully they've already refunded the rest.

I hope no one else has had to go through this, since it's been quite the stressful month for me as a result of it. I'm still angry at my credit card company for somehow not realizing that these purchases were nothing like the ones I've made with them for almost nine years now; no joke, some of the purchases included a hotel in Florida, then a restaurant in Washington state on the very next day. I'm someone who's very frugal with their card and rarely goes out of town, but I suddenly became a rich playboy gallivanting across the country and my CC company didn't think that was strange. I'm halfway tempted to shut down my entire account after seeing how lax their security was and given how little I use my credit card, but this has without a doubt taught me to keep a much closer eye on my accounts, either way.
I check my credit card literally every day online and I had 3 fraudulent charges pop up one day in June (the 23rd I believe). It was the credit card I used at Gamestop.com last year so I have to assume they were responsible. Luckily I caught it quickly and my cc company promptly issued me a new card.

I check my credit card literally every day online and I had 3 fraudulent charges pop up one day in June (the 23rd I believe). It was the credit card I used at Gamestop.com last year so I have to assume they were responsible. Luckily I caught it quickly and my cc company promptly issued me a new card.
That's almost the exact date where it happened to me. Glad you caught it in time; the fact that I hadn't used the card in so long and that any fraudulent charges had been immediately caught in the past meant I was lax in checking it and it took me a while to notice it. I've begun checking it every day now, too, and I'm thinking about just locking it until I know I'll use it, but part of me's afraid that I'll end up needing it in an emergency and won't be able to unlock it to use it when that happens. At this point, though, my main annoyance is figuring out why my CC company hasn't refunded all of the charges yet - there were two charges at a certain location, for example, but they've only refunded one. Go figure.

Sorry to hear other people here had to go thru dealing with fraudulent charges because of Gamestop.

I got that form letter in the mail many months after fraudulent charges had been made to my card in early 2017. I ordered a single game from the GameStop website during Black Friday 2016. Fortunately I caught the charges the same month they were made. I didn't have trouble having the charges refunded. But it was still stressful because it was around a grand and I've never had that kind of fraud before. I had to fill out an investigation form with the CC company and wait a month to know their verdict.

I didn't appreciate the unhelpful timing of the Gamestop letter notification, but I was glad to know who's fault it was my card got stolen.

bread's done
Back