Possible PS3 delay??

Plinko

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
I just got off the phone with my distributor contact and spoke to them about game console Pre-Orders. Of course I inquired about the Playstation 3 however it appears that the November 17 date is no longer fixed.
According to the representative, due to the overheating and technical problems they had earlier this week (which had seen a drop in stocks), Sony may have to delay the Playstation 3 console itself in North America. Sony on the other hand denied that there are any problems with the Playstation 3. We’ll find out soon enough as this would be a huge blow to Sony if they had to delay as Nintendo would have a huge headstart in the console wars.

http://www.codenamerevolution.com/

If true, that's a huge blow to Sony.

interesting
but it seems like another random rumor to me.
i think if sony is indeed facing an additional shortage (as if that is not the case already), sony will probably just cut the launch numbers (match it to Japan? lol) instead of delaying the launch.

Frankly, I'm a tad skeptical about both the 11 million Wii number AND a PS3 delay, but I think both are conceivable. Still, Nintendo could deliver half that number by year's end and still put themselves in a great position going forward. I can't even imagine how devastating another delay would be to Sony if true. One assumes they would have to delay until after Christmas, and if that comes to pass...Well, let's just say I wouldn't want to be a Sony stockholder. :bomb:

Even if they were having the problems being reported, Sony wouldn't allow the console to be delayed to allow Microsoft increase their lead and allow Nintendo to build one.

Nothing short of PS3's rising up and raping mothers will prevent Sony from making that release date.

[quote name='terribledeli']Even if they were having the problems being reported, Sony wouldn't allow the console to be delayed to allow Microsoft increase their lead and allow Nintendo to build one.

Nothing short of PS3's rising up and raping mothers will prevent Sony from making that release date.[/QUOTE]

QFT. I suspect the system could burst into flames and Sony would still prefer to handle it on the back end, swapping out fixed systems two or three months down the road, much as Microsoft did with the notorious first batch of 360s. And that's certainly the smart thing to do. That way, they still have committed install base, even if they know they're going to have to do a lot of replacements in the coming year. But by that time, they'll be caught up enough in terms of production and debugging that they'll be able to handle it.

As my experience is primarily with Nintendo, I'm curious: Does it bother Sony and Microsoft fans that they are expected to go into new console launches with the near certainty that the product will be buggy and/or defective and eventually require a fix?

Well it's not as though the PS3 will have much of a head start even if the Nov. 17 release date holds. A two day jump on the Wii won't help them all that much. A delay would hurt them, certainly, but I doubt that Sony would delay the PS3 now that a launch date has been announced and widely publicized. I think, if anything, the shortage of PS3's may be worse than anticipated. An all-out delay seems unlikely.

[quote name='zewone']A Nintendo fansite reporting a delay about the PS3.

Yes, that is a reliable source.[/QUOTE]QFT.

[quote name='zewone']A Nintendo fansite reporting a delay about the PS3.

Yes, that is a reliable source.[/QUOTE]Quoted for fucking truth.

[quote name='TimPV3']Quoted for fucking truth.[/QUOTE]

Point taken. But the news from a couple days ago that overheating PS3s at TGS led to the stock sell-off WAS true. And Sony's defense was basically, "That didn't happen because we didn't SAY it happened," closely followed by, "Well, okay, it SORT OF happened, but it was REALLY hot in there!!! Hey, look over there. A three-headed monkey! "

;)

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6159307.html

[quote name='Tybee']Point taken. But the news from a couple days ago that overheating PS3s at TGS led to the stock sell-off WAS true. And Sony's defense was basically, "That didn't happen because we didn't SAY it happened," closely followed by, "Well, okay, it SORT OF happened, but it was REALLY hot in there!!! Hey, look over there. A three-headed monkey! "

;)[/quote]

The ONLY reason I posted it is because of the stock connection--for those who don't know, there were reports of overheating PS3's at TGS and it literally caused company stock to drop.

well theres no heating problems per sony.
so i guess that means theres no delay.

nothing to see here.
move along.

"SCE can categorically deny that there's any problems with PS3 units overheating," said the company in a statement issued to GI.biz.

"As could be seen on the TGS floor by the tens of thousands of media and public attendees, both the hardware and software worked flawlessly," the statement concludes.

[quote name='Tybee']QFT. I suspect the system could burst into flames and Sony would still prefer to handle it on the back end, swapping out fixed systems two or three months down the road, much as Microsoft did with the notorious first batch of 360s. And that's certainly the smart thing to do. That way, they still have committed install base, even if they know they're going to have to do a lot of replacements in the coming year. But by that time, they'll be caught up enough in terms of production and debugging that they'll be able to handle it.

As my experience is primarily with Nintendo, I'm curious: Does it bother Sony and Microsoft fans that they are expected to go into new console launches with the near certainty that the product will be buggy and/or defective and eventually require a fix?[/QUOTE]

I never had a problem with the xbox when I got it, I had 1 360 die and another launch system that still works perfect. I did however go through 4 ps2's :( that sucked. I had a DS but that same week I seen alot of posters said things about cracks in their DS cases, so I sold mine till I could find the games I wanted and they fixed the problem.

What a bunch of bullshit from Nintendo exterme fanboys. Stick it up thier fucking ass. They won't delay the launch AT MOST they will have fewer consoles. They are already killing themselves with so few units they would never delay to loose even more of a market.

[quote name='Tybee']Point taken. But the news from a couple days ago that overheating PS3s at TGS led to the stock sell-off WAS true. And Sony's defense was basically, "That didn't happen because we didn't SAY it happened," closely followed by, "Well, okay, it SORT OF happened, but it was REALLY hot in there!!! Hey, look over there. A three-headed monkey! "

;)

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6159307.html[/quote]
Yeah, like 200k people in one place and with people crammed to within a foot or so of the systems makes for a cool, fresh air-filled atmosphere. The mags that have gotten the chance to spend some intimate time with the system have reported no overheating to the extent that the 360 owners epxerienced last year. Considering the two vastly different situations and the one that's more likely to happen, it's easy to see what's the more likely conclusion to this concern.

I have had a couple of Game Rush "Managers" swearing to me that the PS3 was delayed. Not that this necessarily confirms anything, but it's interesting that this is the second place I've heard this rumor.

bread's done
Back