Post Your Lesser Known Freeware

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Do post please :D I have got to see this. I have a 1GB and 512 memory sticks with most of the aps I use. portable Firefox with tor, Yamipod, etc. I too have a detailed list with all the aps I use since I work and deal with computers on a daily basis and it helps to have these at the ready in case of a crash, reformat, etc.

Actually, I should update the OP as I haven't done it in forever.[/QUOTE]

Tor is great, especially at school where pretty much every website is blocked. :)

[quote name='crystalklear64']Trillian for all of your IRC/AIM/MSN/YIM/ICQ needs.[/QUOTE]
I agree on all counts but IRC. IRC can do a lot more interesting things than other chat clients, and you really limit yourself if you don't use mirc. No scripts == no fun.
Also, I saw a few codecs and codec packs mentioned in the thread, but no one mentioned the top-notch: CCCP. Put together by some of the internet's highest-order geeks. It also comes with my favorite no-frills-but-always-works media player, Media Player Classsic.
http://cccp-project.net

I think someone mentioned the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack which kicks all ass.
[quote name='e-christ']I agree on all counts but IRC. IRC can do a lot more interesting things than other chat clients, and you really limit yourself if you don't use mirc. No scripts == no fun.
Also, I saw a few codecs and codec packs mentioned in the thread, but no one mentioned the top-notch: CCCP. Put together by some of the internet's highest-order geeks. It also comes with my favorite no-frills-but-always-works media player, Media Player Classsic.
http://cccp-project.net[/quote]

[quote name='naes']I think someone mentioned the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack which kicks all ass.[/QUOTE]
Ouch. So much failure. K-lite was made by a bunch of morons who don't know anything about encoding videos, only just-kinda making them play. CCCP was made by the internet's most elite anime encoding nerds, and not only makes everything play, but makes it play RIGHT. It's designed to not just decode video files, but to decode them at their full potential, something that K-lite and any other codec pack can't say.
I know I'm a bit of a fanboy, but I've been using it for about two years, and never have any problems playing audio or video, and simply suggesting that people install it has generally been a good fix for every problem I've tried to help someone solve in these years. I'm not saying other packs won't work, it's just that CCCP works better.

I disagree with that whole post, mainly because K-Lite is my favorite codec (fanboy).

But, at least we agree that Media Player Classic is the best player.
[quote name='e-christ']Ouch. So much failure. K-lite was made by a bunch of morons who don't know anything about encoding videos, only just-kinda making them play. CCCP was made by the internet's most elite anime encoding nerds, and not only makes everything play, but makes it play RIGHT. It's designed to not just decode video files, but to decode them at their full potential, something that K-lite and any other codec pack can't say.
I know I'm a bit of a fanboy, but I've been using it for about two years, and never have any problems playing audio or video, and simply suggesting that people install it has generally been a good fix for every problem I've tried to help someone solve in these years. I'm not saying other packs won't work, it's just that CCCP works better.[/quote]

[quote name='naes']There are a few bugs, such as the horrible seekbar.[/quote]

That's the the only one I can really think of and other than that the thing works swimmingly. That's my prefered player and I've never had any issue and have only encountered that bug a handful of times.

[quote name='e-christ']I agree on all counts but IRC. IRC can do a lot more interesting things than other chat clients, and you really limit yourself if you don't use mirc. No scripts == no fun.
http://cccp-project.net[/quote]

CCCP-Project is indeed the best codec pack on the net. A thousand times better than K-Lite, Mega, and pretty much every other codec pack because I've tried them all.

CCCP was made for anime. There were a few files that CCCP couldn't play but KLMP could, which is why I use KLMP.
[quote name='hiccupleftovers']CCCP-Project is indeed the best codec pack on the net. A thousand times better than K-Lite, Mega, and pretty much every other codec pack because I've tried them all.[/quote]

I have found an app I think I am destined to madly love: Keybreeze

Basically it's a universal hotkey linker. You press the ; key, and then type a command or other keyword. It executes commands based on what you type after the semicolon.

For example, if I type (semicolon) cag and hit enter, it loads up Firefox and instantly goes to CAG.

If you type (semicolon) s: (whatever), it searches google for that item.

If you need to type an actual ;, you just hit space after hitting the ; key. If this isn't good for you, you can always assign it to shift+ or alt+ or a few other combinations.

It runs very quickly and it hidden until you activate it.

Basically using this, you can automate a lot of stuff - no longer have to open icons and the like.

I'm going to see what else it can do. It comes preloaded with a lot of commands, and you can customize it very easily.

Edit: You can even edit the pre-set commands. I just changed "close window" to "cl," and now I can close windows in less than a second.

Really nice impression so far. The more I can carry out on the keyboard with lag/time waste in going to a mouse, the better.

[quote name='CappyCobra']
Hi-Q Recorder Version 1.9 (records any soundcard output digitally; Limited to 96 kps for Free version)
http://www.roemersoftware.com/free-sound-recorder.html
[/quote]

I just want to say that I tested this program out a bit last night, and it didn't take me long to go ahead and purchase a license for it, which is something I hardly ever do. I've tested it with all kinds of formats and things to rip music from, and it did so with flying colors, so effortlessly, on all accounts. Since it's just ripping it directly from the sound card, the quality is amazing. I'm using it mainly as a way to bypass DRM on iTunes to convert to mp3 (much better than the old way of "burn the songs and rip the CD back").

It is truly a fantastic program. Thanks Cappy!

[quote name='Strell']I just want to say that I tested this program out a bit last night, and it didn't take me long to go ahead and purchase a license for it, which is something I hardly ever do. I've tested it with all kinds of formats and things to rip music from, and it did so with flying colors, so effortlessly, on all accounts. Since it's just ripping it directly from the sound card, the quality is amazing. I'm using it mainly as a way to bypass DRM on iTunes to convert to mp3 (much better than the old way of "burn the songs and rip the CD back").

It is truly a fantastic program. Thanks Cappy![/quote]

Glad I can be of help!:bouncy:

i use linux so i only use freeware
and gaim is changing its name to pidgin(now that it is popular AOL got all pissed at them) 2.0 comes out sometime next week

File this under "I can't believe nobody fucking mentioned this"

OpenOffice:

Completely free open-source office clone. If you want to save yourself $500, do yourself a favor and check it out. It's able to save in .DOC & .XLS file formats too!

http://www.openoffice.org/

[quote name='CappyCobra']DAMN YOU SEARCH FUNCTIONS! WHY DO YOU FAIL ME!!!:lol:[/QUOTE]

Search probably doesnt fail you... its just you are distracted with all those 1UP's...

This thread is in need of a much needed bump! Allow me to contribute...

CrossLoopRemote access software. You and the host install the software. They generate an access key. You plug in the key at your end and BOOM!; you're connected. Very useful program for the family tech support guy ;)

www.crossloop.com

[quote name='Larsin']VLC Media Player - plays nearly anything you throw at it[/QUOTEI love this program it has never failed to play a file

i use avg free.. its caught some trojans before, but im not sure what it does with them or if its picking up all of them.. whats the best anti virus system?
not regarding how much it costs that is.

[quote name='kube00']Anyone use a firewall program other then ZoneAlarm? Any Reccomendations?[/quote]
I'd go with either Kerio or comodo for a free firewall. Both are better than ZoneAlarm at this point.

Keypass - password keeper and maker. I wouldn't call it the best but it works for both windows and linux.

Dwarf Fortress = a game with no graphics but is pretty fun.

Sygate personal firewall

Juice = podcast catcher

bread's done
Back