Potential 60 gb issues?

darkcecil32

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Hey guys,

I was just wondering how loud the disk drive is supposed to be when playing games. I've heard/read that to many the sound is completely inaudible, but I can definetely hear mine. I had a weird grinding sound emit from my console one time that sounded like the unit was trying to eat the disk. That frightened me much more and made me start wondering about the former which I had previously ignored. (I also sit about 3 feet away from my tv as I am currently playing on a tiny 15" CRT; waiting for my parents to get an hdtv in hopefuly late january)

There's also a wierd flickering along with white lines and or a greenish blue flash that appears when I first turn on my console, and then any time I transition from the XMB to a game, this happens twice. I've read this often happens with a tv making resolution adjustments. My friend just got a PS3 as well and has his unit hooked up via hdmi, so I will test my unit on his tv and see if this persists.

Also curious as to whether or not the unit ever blows out cold air like the PS2 did. All the air that has ever come out of the console has been warm.

Sorry about long post, I'm just really paranoid with my unit as I got an open box unit from Amazon Warheous and am considering a return as the system came in the worst packaging job i have ever seen and both shipping/console box looked quite beat up. I have about 25 days left to return the unit and am mulling my options. I could ship the unit off to Sony and *hope* to get a solid replacement, but I have read horror stories about people getting malfunctioning refurbs back. PS2 playback was imperative to me, but at this point, since I am going to college until the middle of May anyways, I am starting to just lean towards buying a PS2 and getting a 40 gb PS3 later when they are cheaper. Just would have preferred in all-in-one-machine with no worries.

Well I have a 60 gig since launch and doesnt make loud crounchy sounds when I play games, its actually relatively quiet. So you might want to look into getting a replacement especially after spending all that money on it.

The flickering of the white lines could be due to your screen output of your ps3. I know I was having white lines when I first set mine up but realized the default output of the ps3 was like a 720, but my tv could only handle a 480. So you should check your resolution settings.

I've had my 60GB since launch and I don't seem to experience any noise from the console, it is relatively quiet. I don't know about the PS2 blowing out cold air, but the PS3, along with any modern electronic with a fan, blows out warm air (You may only feel cold air if the machine hasn't been on for long, it should get warm eventually).

If hardware b/c with PS2 games is very important to you, I'd send it into Sony or back to Amazon for a replacement. I assume the PS3 you got is used since it's open boxed, but I could be wrong.

My TV (PS3 connected via HDMI to Samsung 720p) also flickers when I start a game from the XMB, and yes, I believe it is due to the changing of resolutions from 1080i to 720p or vise versa.

ive had my 60gb for about 6 months now and the loudest noise i hear from it is the laser shifting back and forth. i can hear it going back and forth but nothing extreme. all the air that comes outta my ps3 is warm. the ps3 should have no problems being on for long periods of time. ive had mine on for about 8 hours and had no problems. u should return it because the ps3 should be pretty quiet and unnoticeable.

Thanks for the responses, guys. It was an open box but "new" PS3, and it is supposed to be covered fully under the manufacturer's warranty. Still cost 400$, which to me is still quite a hefty sum of money. I got a bit more money than i expected for Christmas, but I doubt I'll be able to find any truly new 60 gig PS3's in my area. I saw one the same day my PS3 was shipped to me from Best Buy and about 3 weeks ago (in a stack of like 30 PS3s) at the Target I work at (which I was going to buy til it vanished). I called the Best Buy on Christmas eve and they claimed they haven't had any since it's been oop, even though my friends and I clearly saw one less than a week ago :roll: (didn't have time to stop by and go since I had to work on the eve).

I guess I can try shipping it back to Sony. Just hope I don't get a bricked unit/refurb with other issues and or have the same unit shipped back to me.

*The crunching noise I alluded to earlier occured when I returned from a game to XMB (a PS2 game)....it hasn't actually occured in game. It only happened one time, but considering I've only had the unit for 5 days and played a total of six times, frightening nonetheless

I'd return it and pray they send you a decent refurb. I'd follow that advice with any piece of electronics that doesn't give you 100% satisfaction.

My 60GB makes noises. But not crunching sounds. It sounds like a disc getting info taken from it and loading, not crunching. It is most noticable when playing Uncharted.

My 60GB makes noises when the laser is jumping back and forth and when the fan kicks into high gear, but other than there's nothing out of the ordinary.

i've got the same crunching noise. it seems like the ps3 doesn't like certain discs. it hates my tekken 5 ps2 disc. It's the only one that makes crunching sounds whenever i put it in. all other discs are crunch free.

Hmm...the crunching noise occured when I ran a copy of Disgaea...I wish I had a hdtv so I could play and really enjoy some actual *gasp* PS3 games instead of merely having a glorified PS2.

I guess I've decided to keep the unit for now as I'll fall under Sony's full one year warranty as long as there's no odd flickering/colors on my friends tv via hdmi, as his unit has run hitch free. I'll also listen to his unit and see if mine is considerably louder. It'll be the first and only time during my 30 day warranty I can compare units side by side, albeit it will be a 60 gig to a 40. If problems persist, I'll trade it in (the email confirmation from Amazon lists it as a new unit, and when I called sony tech support, they said they had no information on the serial number, so it has been registered as a new console acquired on Dec 20th 2007).

So far it has at least played all my games A-Ok, and in that sense, it is a perfectly functioning console thus far. Don't want to risk getting an even worse refurb. *shudders*

I'm hoping that the later and later it gets into next year, the less and less refurbs Sony will have and maybe (I know it's wishful thinking) there will be a handful of new units produced for replacements. Sony must be well aware that into early December, there were a considerable amout of 60 gbs still to be had across the country.

[quote name='sparklecopy']i've got the same crunching noise. it seems like the ps3 doesn't like certain discs. it hates my tekken 5 ps2 disc. It's the only one that makes crunching sounds whenever i put it in. all other discs are crunch free.[/quote]

Yeah, I was wondering if it could just be the disc. Does it happen on all of you games OP? I know my Red Faction 2 disc doesn't even play in my PS2 (makes crunching noises too) but that's the only one I have problems with.

Well it's the only game I've gotten around to playing so far, along with Ninja Gaiden Sigma. Disgaea 1/2 + Rogue Galaxy are the only 2 "new" PS2 games I have that I was looking forward to playing first. But Sigma looks so ugly in 480i after playing in 1080p that it really is hard to go back. After 20 minutes of playing, I was done.

40 hour work weeks for essentially minimum wage pay= teh suck. In two weeks, 30 hour work week + 22 credit hours for the semester will potentially equal even more suck. Why'd I buy a PS3 again :roll:?

Hey guys, new issue suddenly popped up, but this one is more likely just a troubleshooting issue.

I went to my friend's house and hooked my ps3 up via hdmi and changed the ps3's output to 1080p w/the default optimal settings option it gives you after detecting hdmi.

We play, have fun, and I did my little comparison. I come home, switch back to composite cables for my tv, and suddenly I get no picture or audio. I would have assumed the ps3 would rescale its resolution and realize the fact that composite cables are plugged in and maximum resolution is 480i with those, anyways. My friend is visiting Chicago for the next few weeks and I don't know if I'll be able to see him before I head back to college, so I can't simply just connect via hdmi and change the options at this point. I did the obvious things like checking the cables were tight etc etc and still no go.

Oh yea, and for our comparison, decidedly the laser in the disk drive is very loud during PS2 games (my friend concurred with my assessment, it was definetely louder than our launch day PS2's ever were), but with PS3 games, it doesn't make a sound, which made me want to ask, does the ps3 have seperate lasers for regular cd/dvds and blu-rays? I mean, I don't want to chance burning the laser out if older software takes a huge toll.

Thanks in advance.

"If you hold down the power button for 5 seconds when powering up, it will auto-revert to the 'default' output setting.
In particular when switching from HDMI to Component on a friend's TV I have found this useful. Also, for me component cables was also automatic (using the 5 second hold feature).

The hard disk can be easily replaced. If I were you, I would ecstatic about having full backward compatibility.

bread's done
Back