Power Gig: Rise of the SixString band bundle $40 at BigLots

ZombieToast

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
I searched around and didn't find this, so hopefully I'm not posting a duplicate. Anyway, I just checked the new BigLots ad and noticed that the Power Gig: Rise of the SixString band bundle will be on sale for $40 from April 10 to April 14 (while supplies last). This includes the game, guitar, microphone, drums, and sticks! Not bad for something that was originally $200.

If you'd like to see the ad, it's right here:
hxxp://www.biglots.com/weekly-Ad/4244
(Sorry, I can't post links yet.)

If the URL doesn't work, just go to their site and click on Weekly Ad. Although the ad only shows the Xbox 360 logo, it might be available for PS3 as well. They're never clear on these things.

This game didn't get the most positive reviews, but for only $40, I'll be there first thing on Sunday. It's worth it just for the guitar.

[quote name='jtkauff']Picked up the Guitar+game bundle (PS3) for $25 at the Polaris Big Lots in Columbus, OH - they had two more left. Not planning on playing the game at all, but for $25 the smaller-sized guitar will be great for my son to fiddle with while I'm using my Squire for Pro Guitar on Rock Band 3. He always wants to strum it when I'm playing, but you know, I'd rather not have my 2-year-old breaking my $300 guitar - he can strum the $25 one instead. Maybe in a few years he can learn to play it.[/QUOTE]

Hey, I'm pretty close to there, but I still don't want it lol

But good idea of letting your son play that one while you play the good one. I would be mad if someone broke my 300 dollar one lol

[quote name='dmdragon']What exactly are the air drums?

I picture them putting "Air drums included" on the box and when you open the air drums box it is empty.

OMG, just read up on them, and what I said is basically true... Motion sensing sticks and you actually swing wildly in the air.... /facepalm[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I heard that the Drum play in it is embarrassingly bad with the controller. Maybe for $20, but I think $40 is still a bit steep for LOL fodder.

[quote name='EdgeCrusher36']It comes with 3 free strings.[/QUOTE]
Thank you for pointing that out. I didn't (and still don't) see it mentioned anywhere on the box and I certainly didn't see any strings when taking everything out earlier, but I checked again and found them (and one of them was thankfully the one I needed). I still feel inclined to exchange this because I no longer have a backup, but it's not really worth the hassle. You saved me a trip, so thanks again.

[quote name='dmdragon']Don't need all of the strings to play? That seems like a pretty big red flag there LOL[/QUOTE]
Yeah, this is way different than what I expected. If you play the regular mode without power chords, you actually only need one string to play because it's basically the same as Guitar Hero/Rock Band. You simply have to press a string (any string) between frets and then strum (again, any string). To play with power chords, I think you only need the three lower strings. As far as I can tell, that's the only time you ever need to use the SixString guitar instead of any other guitar controller.

[quote name='CXK']Does anyone have this? If so, is it work $25 as a game? I dont really care about the guitar working outside of the game. Too bad it doesnt work for RB3 pro, it would be an instant buy.[/QUOTE]
I bought it and have just played it for nearly an hour. At the full price, it's a total rip-off because although the presentation is decent, it comes across as a budget title. At this discounted price, however, I think it's a good enough game. Playing with power chords will be tricky if you're used to the GH/RB games, but if you have guitar experience, this game is actually a lot easier. The fret detection is a little off at times, but for the most part, it works as it should. But I don't like that the game always plays as if you are in a band. If you're playing guitar by yourself, instead of getting the full screen, you're still just stuck in the bottom-right corner. It seems really lazy to me that they couldn't program it to display differently depending on how many people are playing.

Also, as I mentioned above to someone else, you actually only need 1 to 3 strings to be able to play this game. And you only ever use the first 6 frets. So, it's not a realistic guitar-playing experience in the slightest. I don't know what the RB3 Pro Mode is like, so I can't compare the two, but I've heard that Pro Mode is better than this. This is at least better than Rock Revolution, Guitar Hero: World Tour, and GH: Warriors of Rock though. I have yet to try the drums or microphone, so I can't really comment on those. For $40, I feel like I got my money's worth by getting the entire bundle. $25 for just the game and guitar isn't as good of a deal in my opinion, but it's a fair enough price. However, if you want a realistic guitar game, I suggest waiting for Rocksmith, which will actually let you use real guitars.

Pro Mode on RB3 blows it out of the water. I picked up Power Gig Disc only when it dropped to 7.99 used at gamestop, played it an hour, and traded it on goozex. It was just a horrible game, song selection wise and gameplay wise. I had to get the guitar bundle though just to have the guitar. I'm such a sucker for horrible gimmick items to display.

Here is the :ps3: SKU, you can call your store and they will tell you if there are any and the price.

Yes, I said call.

bread's done
Back