Power went out when updating game. Should I be concerned?

B

Blackout

Last night around 1:30 I was updating NBA2K11 when the power went out on my block. It's never happened to me before during a game/system update. It always says "Do not turn off the system" during these updates so I was a little worried.

This morning I was freaked out because none of my stuff plugged in (TV, PS3, Xbox, etc) was turning on, so I thought they fried or something. It turned out I had to restart the surge protector. I turned on my PS3 and everything seems to be fine.

Did I dodge a bullet here? Is there anything I should be worried about or does nothing bad happen to the system when it turns off during a game update?

On the game updates, I'm pretty sure you would always be safe. Worst case scenario, you'd just need to delete the game data and reinstall it (save files are stored seperately, so should be ok).

My system is set to auto update (thanks to PS+), and there have been plenty of times when I've walked through the room and thought "Why's the PS3 on?" and turned it off. No problems so far.

I'm not sure what would happen if this took place during a firmware update. I know my wii downloaded a "dirty" file for a firmware update last year, and I had to send it back to nintendo. I imagine Sony has a more straightforward fix for that if it were to happen.

For a game patch it's nothing, basically it's downloading the patch and if you lose power it just has to start over because it knows the patch is bad. During a system update you might have to flash your hard drive, with the base OS and reinstall the patches but it shouldn't be a big deal... just a pain.

[quote name='Moradeth']For a game patch it's nothing, basically it's downloading the patch and if you lose power it just has to start over because it knows the patch is bad. During a system update you might have to flash your hard drive, with the base OS and reinstall the patches but it shouldn't be a big deal... just a pain.[/QUOTE]

That's good to know. I've heard of people's PS3s messing up because the system turned off during FW, so I wondered if it was the same for game updates.

[quote name='2DMention']Wouldn't a firmware update interuption brick your system?[/QUOTE]

It could, but there's no guarantee either way.

bread's done
Back