Powerline Networking Kit

darkchaostitan

CAGiversary!
I need a good deal as soon as possible on this item. Looking for best performance, but still I want to not overspend. I'm willing to invest, but just not too much.

Basic specs I’m looking for are somewhere around:
• 200 MB/S
• decent power circuit range
• 2 or more switch intact with adjacent(to the router) adapter

(Needs to be able to have a good distance through a household)

Essentially my situation calls for this power line networking kit to be
• attached to the router
• transferred through power lines
• connected to switch on adjacent outlet
• able to handle network traffic of a PC and a Xbox 360(via the switch)

If there is a bottom dollar deal that some one can find, don't let my specifications discourage you from posting it. I'm looking for quality performance, but I'm willing to test out a budget deal considering that mine is a bit spanned at the moment.

However I plan to use this for a considerable time with like amount of usage, so if said budget deal cannot handle such it's not worth the small investment. As much as I want a good deal, I need it to work my way, and such abilities will cost more yes, but will be worth it to myself, and the friends that use my 360 when they're over at my apartment.

Much appreciation and thanks,
darkchaostitan

Here's an image to get sort of a feel as to what I'm looking for.
P.S. If there's a decent deal on a kit with the switch already intact with the specs I need please let me know. Thx
powerline-av.jpg

Unless they've updated the technology, 200MB/s seems a little high. I have a bunch of the 2nd generation ones, which I believe advertise 100 megabit/s (not megabyte/s). In reality, it's probably closer to 50 megabit/s when all is said and done, but it's always seemed more reliable than wireless to me.

You can easily hook these into a hub or router. That's what I've done with mine, and it works like a champ (for 360, PS3, etc.). I bought a couple of the Panasonic kits off Ebay for about $35 each. I would definitely check Ebay before buying in the store.

I looked at buy.com and that's what I found, but that's a bit expensive. I'll look on ebay as well. Do you have any other recommendations or any that you could part with?

[quote name='misbitski']Unless they've updated the technology, 200MB/s seems a little high. I have a bunch of the 2nd generation ones, which I believe advertise 100 megabit/s (not megabyte/s). In reality, it's probably closer to 50 megabit/s when all is said and done, but it's always seemed more reliable than wireless to me.

You can easily hook these into a hub or router. That's what I've done with mine, and it works like a champ (for 360, PS3, etc.). I bought a couple of the Panasonic kits off Ebay for about $35 each. I would definitely check Ebay before buying in the store.[/QUOTE]

No, 200 is the current generation's top throughput under best possible conditions. (AKA not at your house or the home of anyone you know.) You need to have devices with gigabit ports at each end to get the full benefits if the wiring is good enough to support greater than 100 megabit rates.

The best price I've seen to date on 200 Mb powerline bridges is the TrendNet brand at Fry's. They recently had a rebate that got them down to $40 instead of the regular $60. No savings for buying the box that includes two units.

http://shop1.frys.com/product/5679931?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

I use the AirLink 85 Mb units to good effect at my house. They go for as little as $20 on advertised specials. What I actually get is more like 20-30 Mb throughput but that was a big improvement over the 5-10 Mb I was getting with the previous generation powerline units, which topped out at 14 Mb.

Wow, thanks this is the first good news for a deal that I recieved. i take it though that'd I've have to buy 2 adapters and that's not a set(on Frys.com) Also if the AirLInk is as good as you say it is I may consider getting that because $120+S/H+Tax is a little pricy, but if it does the trick then I'm all for it. Thx your your help

If you don't mind me asking, why do you need 200Mb speeds? Unless you're doing some heavy client/server connections (and LOCAL connections at that) you're not going to need that speed. If you're just looking at something to connect you to the Internet, keep in mind that your weakest link is your download speed from your ISP. If you're looking at streaming media, even HD video only requires around 8Mbps to transfer.

I'm just saying that you most likely can get away with the 2G option and have it be much cheaper than buying into the 3G option which may not give you any benefit.

Yeah I see your point, I planned on using this to set up my PC, and consoles, so I'd prefer the bandwith, but whatever will work will be fine with me. And yeah, I have a terrible bottleneck with my ISP. I have Verizon DSL,fuckthat . So I'm switching to Cox soon, until then I should probably get what's most affordable and effective(ie it doen't die on me, and doesn't have horrific bandwidth).

[quote name='darkchaostitan']Yeah I see your point, I planned on using this to set up my PC, and consoles, so I'd prefer the bandwith, but whatever will work will be fine with me. And yeah, I have a terrible bottleneck with my ISP. I have Verizon DSL,fuckthat . So I'm switching to Cox soon, until then I should probably get what's most affordable and effective(ie it doen't die on me, and doesn't have horrific bandwidth).[/quote]
Unless you're going to be transferring large files back and forth between your PCs & consoles, and you don't plan on having everything accessing the internet simultaneously, CrimsonPaw is correct...save some money and buy the slower one.

Your DSL is probably 3mbps max. Even upgrading to Cox you'd probably have no faster than 20mbps.

Hey I've been looking for a way to get my Tivo running in the bedroom without running the phone cord across the entire room and I saw this and was also suggested a Network Bridge. I ran across this today from Buy.com and was wondering if this would be more than sufficient for it? Any reason it wouldn't be good enough for this and/or maybe something else really not demanding in the future if I need it? Never heard of the brand, but the price sure is right and the reviews seem good enough as well.

bread's done
Back