Pre Order - Mass Effect, Bioshock (X360) 39.99 GTA IV 42.99 (X360) @ Liongames.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those are fantastic prices for three of the most anticipated games on the 360 this year. However, I have no experience with Lion Games. Is this a reliable site?

Sure seems a little too good to be true, and that's typically not a good thing when coming from a site that most people have never heard of.

I agree with everyone on this being an unknown site. Just thought I would pass the info along and let everyone make there own decision. I think I will chance on one of these pre-orders Seeing on how they take pay-pal this might be a good way to take advantage of the paypal 15 dollar rebate too and make this a little cheaper.

[quote name='anderton']Same, especially considering the closest any of these has to a set release date is Bioshock's "June".[/QUOTE]

There is a good chance that they will be released within the time frames listed, as the developers have said that ME and BS will see release around those times, though, while releasing GTA around the time the previous versions were released seems like a good bet, the fact that there hasn't been any legitimate screenshots or, well, ANY official news on it at all. Either they are being REALLY secretive because they don't want rivals stealing their "revolutionary secrets" before release, or they don't have jack done on it yet, so it will either miss the date or, yet again, be the same game they've released for the past three titles proper (five if you count the"Stories" on PSP and PS2), just with a new (or overhauled) city, better textures, and higher polygon counts.

Rockstar has a history of keeping the lid on GTA game info and screenshots for as long as possible, and much longer than just about any other company. I wouldn't read anything into it. The game is still eight months away (to the day, I think) and I wouldn't expect anything pertinent 'til E3, this July.

I also expect the game to be a major leap over the 360 (and eventually PS3) substitute known as Saints Row.

These are great prices, but I'm just not feeling lucky today, or ever, when it comes to unknown sites.

If their logo didn't look like it was drawn by an elementary school comp sci student I might be more tempted. That lion sucks bojangles.

That shit is WAY to good to be true! If anybody has the balls to try it please let us know what happens!

Reminds me of that site that was selling the Premium XBOX 360 for around $250, back when 360s were impossible to find on shelves. That site (if it's still around) probably has a PS3 for $250 and a Wii for $99 now. Although these prices, while damn good, aren't nearly as ridiculously obvious as other scam sites, I still don't trust 'em.

Hello Cheap Ass Gamers. I am Tony the owner of Liongames. I would once again like to address a few issues. When my Halo 3 special hit this board, many people had made suggestions to me on what they thought would be some good ideas for my website. One of the suggestions was better contact information and a phone number. The first thing I did before I released these specials was to update my FAQ page. I updated my about us Page and Listed the phone number to my video stores on the website. The second change I made was to allow people to reserve these games with only a $10.00 deposit. I Have listened to both my happy customers as well as my critics.

Now some of you may think these prices are to good to be true, but they are as real as can be. I opened my website in december. My game plan travels much beyond 2007. I knew when I opened people just wouldn't come running to my website and buy video games. I would need to advertise heavily to get the word out about my website. Think about this for a second. It cost over $5000 a month to advertise on major gaming sites. That is thier minimum. Take a look next time you visit them. That is why you only see national sponsers. Honestly I have a pretty big advertsing budget to get my website off the ground. My thinking is instead of giving all that money to those major gaming sites, that aren't really suppotive of the little guy I will just give that money away to the people who matter most, my customers. I know you people talk to each other about good deals and bad deals. So I have no doubt that my money is better spent in my customers hands then in the big corporations. Think about Blockbuster video for a moment. Do you think their videostores make money when they let their online subscribers return dvd's to the store and pick out new ones for free? The answer is no? Their only concern right now is to get customers through the door to compete with netflix. They don't care what is cost them at this point. The bottom line is I am a friend to the gaming community. When I start knocking off market share, the big boys will be force to start giving better deals themselves. A nice price war is always good for the consumer. Have a nice day everyone.

Tony

[quote name='liongames']Hello Cheap Ass Gamers. I am Tony the owner of Liongames. I would once again like to address a few issues. When my Halo 3 special hit this board, many people had made suggestions to me on what they thought would be some good ideas for my website. One of the suggestions was better contact information and a phone number. The first thing I did before I released these specials was to update my FAQ page. I updated my about us Page and Listed the phone number to my video stores on the website. The second change I made was to allow people to reserve these games with only a $10.00 deposit. I Have listened to both my happy customers as well as my critics.

Now some of you may think these prices are to good to be true, but they are as real as can be. I opened my website in december. My game plan travels much beyond 2007. I knew when I opened people just wouldn't come running to my website and buy video games. I would need to advertise heavily to get the word out about my website. Think about this for a second. It cost over $5000 a month to advertise on major gaming sites. That is thier minimum. Take a look next time you visit them. That is why you only see national sponsers. Honestly I have a pretty big advertsing budget to get my website off the ground. My thinking is instead of giving all that money to those major gaming sites, that aren't really suppotive of the little guy I will just give that money away to the people who matter most, my customers. I know you people talk to each other about good deals and bad deals. So I have no doubt that my money is better spent in my customers hands then in the big corporations. Think about Blockbuster video for a moment. Do you think their videostores make money when they let their online subscribers return dvd's to the store and pick out new ones for free? The answer is no? Their only concern right now is to get customers through the door to compete with netflix. They don't care what is cost them at this point. The bottom line is I am a friend to the gaming community. When I start knocking off market share, the big boys will be force to start giving better deals themselves. A nice price war is always good for the consumer. Have a nice day everyone.

Tony[/quote]

Hey Tony Thanks for posting here. After reading your reply, I'm going to give you chance and order Crackdown as its soon and has a solid release date. If I'm happy with that, I'm going to start buying a lot of games from you. This is how it starts Tony. Do a fine job, and you will build an army of loyal buying customers, don't ever promise what you can't deliver and you will be in business long and healthy. Hell if this works out you might open more stores and evenetually nationally.
Yours truely a cheapass gamer for life.

Well, there you go; straight from the Lion's Mouth. I'm seriously considering that GTA IV price since I can guarentee I'll be picking it up. That's a great looking price for Mass Effect too ...

:D I just want to say I ordered Crackdown from them using paypal, I will let you all know how the trasaction goes. It will be soon and should be a good measuring stick for what we can expect from Lion Games. It all seemed fairly painless I must say, it used my exsisting paypal account got all the info from there including address and CC info. If this goes well I will be a regular customer of Lion Games. Good luck to all. I'm a bit excited about having a decent place to buy games below retail on a regular basis, I have been looking for something like this for a while. I really hope it works out.

What if I put my $10 down and change my mind before the game releases? Do I get the money back or can I carry it over to another game? I guess I will have to send an email.

Seeing as how this is a US site that accepts PayPal, couldn't you pay in full right now and use the $15/$30 promotion PayPal is having right now to effectively get Mass Effect or Bioshock for $30 after shipping ?

That is, if the site comes through with the deliveries.

[quote name='vinhjdao']Seeing as how this is a US site that accepts PayPal, couldn't you pay in full right now and use the $15/$30 promotion PayPal is having right now to effectively get Mass Effect or Bioshock for $30 after shipping ?

That is, if the site comes through with the deliveries.[/quote]

I can't get rebate:( it says my email was not invited. Maybe because the site is not on the approved list? I'm confusseled:hot:

I'm sorry, but no dice. They only have about half of the existing PS3 games in stock. There's just really no excuse for that. And besides, there's a very real chance the site will have folded before any of those games are released, especially since it's only been in operation since December. Good luck to those that do order, as they are great prices, and great games for that matter, but it's just too big of a risk, IMO.

So, Mr. Lion Games website creator I have a question. How long will the pre-order prices below MSRP stay at that price? I would be interested in pre-ordering from you, but not until the game has a set in stone street date and/or has gone gold.
When one pre-orders, is one reserved a copy which you are certain to receive?
Is this pre-order guaranteed (money back or credit given or some form of compensation) to ship no later than the street date? Would this be verifiable based on delivery conformation or electronic postage stamp w/ date?
When one pre-orders, are you placed in a list of priority based upon pre-order date, or is it random? If there is a list of priority, would you be willing to display such a list publicly so that a purchaser would be able to confirm there was an advantage to ordering so early and be confident in the notion they would receive their game at the proper time.
If you could give some kind of assurance like these I would feel more confident in you, and that might sway me away from purchasing it in a big box store on release day.

what he said ^ and what is your shipping method i.e. how long does it usually take to get to a customer after the street date? can you ship before the street date to get it to me on the street date?

[quote name='mietha']I'm sorry, but no dice. They only have about half of the existing PS3 games in stock. There's just really no excuse for that. And besides, there's a very real chance the site will have folded before any of those games are released, especially since it's only been in operation since December. Good luck to those that do order, as they are great prices, and great games for that matter, but it's just too big of a risk, IMO.[/quote]

The fact that I opened my website in December means a heck of a lot less then the fact That my video stores have been opened for 20 years. I have plenty of retail experience and I think that should count for something. As far as my Ps3 stock goes you are right that my stock is low. There is a reason for that. Ps3 is a great system but games have not sold anywhere near xbox 360. I have some pretty agressive prices for ps3's but they honestly don't sell that well. So I rather put my money into inventory that moves. The other thing to keep in mind is once I buy a game, my distributor will take very little product back. So I don't want to get stuck with a lot of games that aren't selling well. Ps3 is a great unit and I am sure it will pick up steam as time passes. My future inventorys will reflect that.

As far as the paypal deal goes that is something that paypal is running and it doesn't include all websites. If you want to be considered a merchant with them you have to sign up for their credit card, and also let them invest the money in your account with Barclays. I really wasn't willing to give them that power.

I am trying to please more people in this special by offering the $10 deposit. I really don't see that as being too risky. Right now some people are afraid of getting ripped off by me. I asked myself if a customer pays $59.99 for a game, is that customer getting treated fairly? That could be the definition of irony:D

What is the 'cheap-ass' shipping rate? I was gonna try you guys out by ordering Crackdown... but at $50... wasn't sure how much shipping would spoil it...

Thanks for any info...

So, Mr. Lion Games website creator I have a question. How long will the pre-order prices below MSRP stay at that price? I would be interested in pre-ordering from you, but not until the game has a set in stone street date and/or has gone gold.

I don't have any time frame set in my head at this time. It is more a matter of how many pieces I want to sell at this price. I don't know what that number is either. I will have to analyize the promotion before I could answers any time limits.

When one pre-orders, is one reserved a copy which you are certain to receive?

Of course you are guaranteed a copy. My thinking is why should someone pre-order a game without any incentive. For example I took preorders for Lost planet for $47.99. The day the game streeted I raised my price to $52.99. When I don't want to carry the inventory anymore the price will go up again. Preorders are very important in this business because they help us decide how many copys to bring in. Keep in mind I have to order the game with my distributor sometimes a full month before street date. That could get kinda tricky trying to guess how many more copies you are going to sell between now and then.

Is this pre-order guaranteed (money back or credit given or some form of compensation) to ship no later than the street date? Would this be verifiable based on delivery conformation or electronic postage stamp w/ date?

Your preorder is guaranteed and you can get your money back at any time by just emailing me. I could then give your store credit, paypal you or send you a check. I cant credit your credit card because I don't have your credit card info, only paypal does. We ship all our games first class usps with delivery confirmation. I ship out of Connecticut so of course New York will get the game faster then California. People have emailed me to make special arrangements if they want to upgrade the freight. I would say First class has been pretty quick.

When one pre-orders, are you placed in a list of priority based upon pre-order date, or is it random? If there is a list of priority, would you be willing to display such a list publicly so that a purchaser would be able to confirm there was an advantage to ordering so early and be confident in the notion they would receive their game at the proper time.
If you could give some kind of assurance like these I would feel more confident in you, and that might sway me away from purchasing it in a big box store on release day.

Basically your preorder will go buy the date your purchased the game. I really don't see this being a problem. My distributor has never been shorted games over the past few years. I need to be careful with Halo 3 legendary but the rest of the games I feel will be widely available. I wouldn't be willing to display a list. I feel it is more important to protect peoples privacy.

[quote name='tanis']What is the 'cheap-ass' shipping rate? I was gonna try you guys out by ordering Crackdown... but at $50... wasn't sure how much shipping would spoil it...

Thanks for any info...[/quote]

Most of this info is in our Faq. I am also happy to answer all questions. Shipping rates are $5.00 for the first game and $1.00 for each additional. There are a few exceptions like halo 3 Legendary because the size of the package.

I did the GTA IV deposit pre-order thing. I was tempted on Halo 3 Legendary, but for I site I never heard of (even though it looks legit) I just dont want to risk the cash. If it had a deposit however I would have felt more comfortable.

why are you going into the online games market and especially taking such a loss?

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=15129

1. Video Game Industry Does Not Care:

The video game industry only cares about mass merchandisers like Toys-R-Us, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc. They completely ignore the needs and wants of the medium to small game retailers. Below is how they do it.

2. Can't Make Money:

You may not care whether or not we make money, but we cannot continue to pay to sell video games. It is impossible for us to make money selling video games. Video Game Manufacturers set the price using what is called MSRP (Manufacturers Standard Retail Price). Here is an example of the video gaming industry greed: they set the retail price at just $5 above the product cost (buy it for $54.99, sell it for $59.99). When we sell a game we make on average 8.3% gross margin. That does not take into account any of the cost to store the video game or labor to receive/ship an item. The only way we can make a profit on an item is to sell it over the MSRP, but unfortunately we are not allowed to do this. Take a $400 console; we only make $5 on the sale—that is a .01% gross margin (note the decimal point). The game companies make their profit selling to us. We make no profit selling to you.

3. No Price Protection + Games Prices Drop Quickly:

Surprise, Surprise....we do not receive price protection. Price protection is a way to decrease the risk of purchasing a product that may not sell. It puts the responsibility of producing a quality product in the hands of the manufacturer. When something doesn't sell, the manufacturer reduces the MSRP. If the MSRP falls, price protection would give us our initial investment back. Again, we are not big enough to receive it. We all know how fast games devalue in prices; this is due to the fact that 80% of the games created are crap. So take the fact that we only make $5, now if the price of a game drops $20, we are now losing $15 every sale.

4. No Product Returns:

This one blows our minds; we are not big enough to return products. The game industry releases many bad games, and word of mouth spreads fast to the consumer. All of those bunk games sit on our shelves. If we do end up selling them, we lose more money, due to the lack of price protection. They won't let us return the bombs. So if we buy a bad title, we are stuck on an industry-induced money losing ride through the land of price drops. Of course, if the video game industry produced quality games, we wouldn't have this issue.

5. Distribution is Dumb:

Since we are not one of the top game retailers we have to buy through a middle man or distributor. First off, this obviously raises the cost of the product, and second, distribution is horrendous for new releases. We get them 3-4 days after street date. You can buy it from the store before we can ship it to you. This is completely unacceptable to the customers that pre-order games from us.

6. Games Are Better Suited for Brick and Mortar Retailers:

There is not a huge selection of games; it is a new release industry (majority of sales are in the first two weeks of release). Large retailers make money on other products after they get you in the door. We do not; most people come to a website to purchase a video game, not a video game and a bunch of movies. There is also no game catalog market, if you wanted to buy an old copy you would buy it used. So retailers are able to stock all new games, and they can return the ones that don't sell. Games bring in great foot traffic for physical retailers and they make money elsewhere. EB Games/Gamestop relies heavily on their used business. It is very difficult for online retailers to have an advantage, except for convenience.

7. The Final Reason:

The final reason we killed our video games division is the industry does not let us provide the same level of service that we do with DVDs. We cannot continue to have our good name tarnished when we cannot control how we receive the product. We do not want to lose potential long-term customers due to a poor experience with a video game that is outside of our control. We attempted for the past five years to make it work but decided to call it quits. It breaks our hearts. Everyone at DVD Empire is a huge fan of pc and video games, and we are truly sad to see this division go.

Recently DVDempire stopped selling games because it was not profitable. I dont see how a small online company can hope to compete, even with these limited deals.

[quote name='lurknomore']I have problems buying from a guy who cannot spell or use spell-check. That's just me.[/quote]

I really did not see anything that was too awful. It was all pretty clear, no glaring errors. I think it is just you.

[quote name='GeorgeCostanza']since he is using paypal arent we all covered anyways? Paypal is good about giving credit back if this preorder thing didnt work out, right?[/quote]

That's what I was thinking but I believe PayPal's policy is that 30 days after order has been placed, you don't have any recourse. So if you pre-order a game that is a couple months out and it doesn't come through, it's possible you might not get a refund because the time to file a complaint has passed. Not 100% sure on that.

[quote name='lurknomore']I have problems buying from a guy who cannot spell or use spell-check. That's just me.[/quote]

Hello Lukenomore. I am sorry about the spelling errors and grammar mistakes. I am trying to answers many questions as best as I could. The truth of the matter is I never been any good in English my whole life. This is a pretty bad since I was born in the USA, and I have never lived anywhere else in my life. So English is the only language I speak and write and I am not very good at it at all. You should have seen me trying to learn French and Spanish in High school. I think I lasted a month in each of those classes. I think we all have some weaknesses in life and one of mine happens to be English. I have pretty much accepted that about myself.

Isn't it a pretty bad sign when the guy who runs said site is posting a long winded explanation about why he is legit? I don't see the director of buy.com posting here.

[quote name='Arkay Firestar']Isn't it a pretty bad sign when the guy who runs said site is posting a long winded explanation about why he is legit? I don't see the director of buy.com posting here.[/QUOTE]

Buy.com is pretty big in comparison.

I'm fairly convinced this is a legit site, as the guy is taking the time to reply here - what scammer would even do that, especially on a public forum? I'm taking the bite though, this is too good of a deal to pass up (preordered Mass Effect - no tax at least :) ).

[quote name='Zoglog']why are you going into the online games market and especially taking such a loss?

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=15129

Recently DVDempire stopped selling games because it was not profitable. I dont see how a small online company can hope to compete, even with these
limited deals.[/quote]

Zoglog. This is a very fair question. I will try to share my train of thought with you and the board. I read the above article. It was well written and so much of it was true. I agree with #1 and 2. I also agree that price protection is very limited. I disagree with the part that the game prices drop quickly. I think they stay up there for quite a long time. Therefore I feel the used market can be quite large. Dvd empire didn't sell used games and I think this fact hurt them. I agree 100% with #4 and 5. Except I get my games on or before street date. I disagree that games are better suited for brick and mortar. They both have trade offs. When you have an online business you have to pay to ship the games. Online retailers transactions are mostly done with credit cards, so we have to pay processing fees most of the time. A brick and mortar store may have some cash transactions as well as personal checks. In these cases there are no processing fees. An online business has no rent expense, no gas bill, and no electric bill to speak of. We do pay for webhosting, but that is a pretty reasonable cost.

Here are some interesting facts. Blockbuster Video is the largest video chain in the USA. They have over 9000 stores, which are for the most part big, bright, and beautiful. Wall street values Blockbuster and their 9000 stores at 1.3 billion dollars. Now Eb/Gamestop on the other hand only has about 4500 stores, that are for the most part, pretty small and dark. Here is the kicker. Wall street values them at a tad over 4 billion dollars. That is over three times the size of Blockbuster. Eb sales were 1.5 billion on 04, 1.8 in 05. and over 3 billion in 06. So I think the video game market appears to be pretty healthy. The next thing to keep in mind is Blockbuster's stock went public in 1998 at $15 bucks a share. Right now they have a good run. and they are at 6 bucks a share. Who know who hurt them right? Netflix, an online retailer. The reason why. is people like convience. I feel that I can offer my customers that same convience while shopping for games. I can also beat my competitors pricing, and honestly I am very very big on customer service. The other reason I like the game business is because it is a difficult business to enter and do it right. Everyone and his brother has a hand in the video business. Macdonalds sells dvd's What is up with that? The other reason for my confidence is my track record. Blockbuster lost 1 billion in 04, 1.2 billion in 05, and almost 600 million in 06. I made money in my video stores in all those years. I did make less the past 3 years then I used to, but I still turned a profit while the big boys were losing their shirts. In short I never been afraid to stand up to the big guys, as long as I dont have to face them in a spelling contest.:) :lol: :lol:

Tony:

I just put a deposit on Mass effect and Bio Shock.

Here's to hoping it all works out. Thank you for answering everyone's questions.

Kevin

[quote name='King Bahamut']Buy.com is pretty big in comparison.

I'm fairly convinced this is a legit site, as the guy is taking the time to reply here - what scammer would even do that, especially on a public forum? I'm taking the bite though, this is too good of a deal to pass up (preordered Mass Effect - no tax at least :) ).[/QUOTE]

Wait so the people who create accounts and make posts just to advertise a spam site...they're not going through at least as much effort? No, but they're also not running as sophisticated a scam as a fake site would be. Again, I cannot make any real conclusions about this site, but I advise everyone to be very cautious. Will you still get credit card fraud protection if you use paypal? Does paypal offer any fraud protection? Look it all up before you put your money down.

I personally believe these deals, 20-30 bucks off in some cases, to be far too good to be true. I hope no one gets burned.

[quote name='Arkay Firestar']Isn't it a pretty bad sign when the guy who runs said site is posting a long winded explanation about why he is legit? I don't see the director of buy.com posting here.[/quote]

I came here to address the comments about my deals not being legit. The man who runs the Gamers with Jobs forum made a very intelligent statement about new businesses and the internet. He said to me "Sadly, when you do business on the internet, you don't start with a fresh slate, you start in the crap all the scam artists left behind" I think we would all have to agree with that statement. Some of the deals that I am offering have actually been met with some hostility. I understand why, but it still doesn't feel good when you are on the receiving end of the negative comments for no reason. So I came to explain and hopefully clear up any doubts people may have. I also think the fact that I came here posting shows my committment to my business and my customers. Your right about the director of buy.com not coming here to post. I think that works in my favor, because no one treat customers better then the owner.

Cut the guy a break.......... if you don't want to pre-prder from him, don;t.......... just don't bash him for living the american dream

Arkay, I honestly respect your opinion. As a matter of fact when my first deal was posted here, people complained because i didnt have a phone number or they had to pay upfront. I listened and made changes. Please tell me what you would do if you were in my shoes to convince People that I am for real. Or better yet what would I have to do to convince you? I am being sincere here. I am open for suggestions.

ya, i trusted this guy with my halo 3 preorder and he even sent me a nice personal email :D

thats not saying anything for credibility, but I'm giving him a chance, and may do it again for one of these games.

[quote name='liongames']Please tell me what you would do if you were in my shoes to convince People that I am for real. Or better yet what would I have to do to convince you? I am being sincere here. I am open for suggestions.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much all you can do at this point is honor/ship all these orders when the prices come out. If you can do so, and CAGs experience good service (and you continue to offer competitive pricing on future titles), than all these accusations will be a thing of the past, and you should build up a loyal fanbase. This forum is pretty well versed in the whole "if it looks too good to be true..." mentality, so you're going to be met with a lot of skepticism until you can prove you're for real.

It would also help if any established posters that live by your b&m location could swing by your store and see you in the flesh.

alright liongames, i'll take a chance on you. i went and preordered Mass Effect and Bioshock (via deposit).

I do have a design suggestions though. When you are asked to create a password for a new account, the password should not be shown (should just show ******** or something like that)

Good luck if you're legit, burn in hell if your're a scammer (i'm hoping and leaning towards the former).

[quote name='Arkay Firestar']Wait so the people who create accounts and make posts just to advertise a spam site...they're not going through at least as much effort? No, but they're also not running as sophisticated a scam as a fake site would be. Again, I cannot make any real conclusions about this site, but I advise everyone to be very cautious. Will you still get credit card fraud protection if you use paypal? Does paypal offer any fraud protection? Look it all up before you put your money down.

I personally believe these deals, 20-30 bucks off in some cases, to be far too good to be true. I hope no one gets burned.[/QUOTE]

Well, if you pay by Paypal, you would've been able to note that they are a Paypal Verified business, so you're covered. Also, scammers find it more lucrative to copy/paste en mass, not respond to posts individually. Things just don't add up for a scammer, especially taking into account that it's a Paypal Verified Business.

I went ahead and paid the full amount on Mass Effect and Bioshock. Between Paypal and CapitalOne, I have enough protection for fraud. Any issue I have every had when I contacted CapitalOne is was resolved instantly. On top of my credit protection, I believe the webiste is legit. I emailed him a question and received a detailed reply very quickly. So far customer service is excellent. Try and get a real response from Amazon.com on a question.

If he mainly deals with high volume low priced pre-orders there isn't the overhead and the possiblility of high loss due to the depriciation of games.

If these prices continue I will be a long term customer. I won't know for sure until the games are released and recieved. I may wait an extra day or two due to the larger companies receiving the games early, but at his prices I don't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back