Pre-orders for the Wii at GS & EB Games could begin as early as tomorrow

fuzz

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Pre-orders for the Nintendo Wii at GameStop and EB Games could begin as early as tomorrow.

An source from GameStop and EB Games which wishes to stay anonymous has stated that GameStop and EB Games managers have been notified of all of the Wii launch details and prices and that pre-orders for the system could begin as early as tomorrow, (Saturday).

On top of this is the fact that anyone who has Zelda pre-ordered for the GameCube will also be receiving a call to change their reserve over to the Wii version if they wish to.

Check your local stores and stay on alert because it appears that the pre-order hype for the Nintendo Wii will begin very soon!

http://www.revolutionportal.com/2006/09/15/gamestop-and-eb-games-taking-wii-pre-orders-soon/

[quote name='fuzz']
On top of this is the fact that anyone who has Zelda pre-ordered for the GameCube will also be receiving a call to change their reserve over to the Wii version if they wish to.[/quote]

Woohoo! Best news all day!

[quote name='blandstalker']Woohoo! Best news all day![/QUOTE]
Were there any preorder bonuses for preordering Zelda? (Wii or GC)

[quote name='6669']Were there any preorder bonuses for preordering Zelda? (Wii or GC)[/quote]

Preordering Zelda gets you 20% extra trade credit when trading in for the reserve. If you get game informer, you can get 30% extra next month with the coupon.

[quote name='allout1986']Preordering Zelda gets you 20% extra trade credit when trading in for the reserve. If you get game informer, you can get 30% extra next month with the coupon.[/QUOTE]
Oh, ok. I thought I might have missed out on an extra disk, like the Wind Waker preorder bonus.

[quote name='allout1986']Preordering Zelda gets you 20% extra trade credit when trading in for the reserve. If you get game informer, you can get 30% extra next month with the coupon.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, maybe 40% with edge card too?

Anyone else heard anything about this? I'm tempted to try hitting up my local GameStop tomorrow morning to see if it's true. Even still, I can't decide if I SHOULD pre-order there (I assume I'd still have to brave the all-day Saturday lines to get one on Sunday along with games, right?) or if I should take my chances on going to my relatively unpopular neighborhood Wal-Mart with no pre-orders. Grr, decisions decisions...I hate being a launch day n00b.

[quote name='Oops! I did it again.']Anyone else heard anything about this? I'm tempted to try hitting up my local GameStop tomorrow morning to see if it's true. Even still, I can't decide if I SHOULD pre-order there (I assume I'd still have to brave the all-day Saturday lines to get one on Sunday along with games, right?) or if I should take my chances on going to my relatively unpopular neighborhood Wal-Mart with no pre-orders. Grr, decisions decisions...I hate being a launch day n00b.[/QUOTE]
I'm kinda planning on doing both, and if I get a Wii at WalMart, then just go move the preorder moeny to a game or controller or something.

That being said, what is preordering online like? Worth it if they have a bundle you'd get anyway?

The gamestop guy when I called about this said "Anything could happen as of now" and to "call the online store about it" I am really torn seeing and I have $214 dollars in credit at gamestop and have my eyes set on the Wii since E3...

[quote name='daroga']I'm kinda planning on doing both, and if I get a Wii at WalMart, then just go move the preorder moeny to a game or controller or something.

That being said, what is preordering online like? Worth it if they have a bundle you'd get anyway?[/quote]

That's a good idea there. I guess my only problem with doing both would be, what if you pre-order the Wii at GameStop, then do your pre-launch day waiting at Wal-Mart, only to (for some reason) be thwarted there. By the time you got to GameStop, would you be out of luck? Or since you pre-ordered, are they OBLIGATED to refuse service to the non-pre-order people who waited in line so you can get yours later in the day?

[quote name='Oops! I did it again.']That's a good idea there. I guess my only problem with doing both would be, what if you pre-order the Wii at GameStop, then do your pre-launch day waiting at Wal-Mart, only to (for some reason) be thwarted there. By the time you got to GameStop, would you be out of luck? Or since you pre-ordered, are they OBLIGATED to refuse service to the non-pre-order people who waited in line so you can get yours later in the day?[/QUOTE]
If I understand correctly, you've got 48 hours to pick things up from EB/GS before they move on to the next person in line.

Yeah, as long as you are #x on the list, and x is less than the number of units they have in the store, yours should be secured for you for 48 hours. Since it's a Sunday, I think I will see about waiting around somewhere just for fun. Worst case, I get one from Best Buy or wherever, and return it when the one I picked up with all EB credit is picked up.

I have a bunch of errands to run tomorrow, so I'll probably plan on dropping by EB while I'm out to see if I can put money down yet.

Does this sound totally stupid? Preorder a bundle online (assuming there's a worthwhile one), put some money down on a system at EB (and probably Zelda too), and wait at Walmart for one? If I get one at Walmart, I can always return the one ordered online to Walmart all sealed and such. I just really want to have all my bases covered AND get it as quickly as possible.

It's not stupid, assuming there's actually a bundle that includes only items I would be interested in getting anyway. My hands are only a little tied since I want to blow my store credit on it rather than cash.

[quote name='botticus']It's not stupid, assuming there's actually a bundle that includes only items I would be interested in getting anyway. My hands are only a little tied since I want to blow my store credit on it rather than cash.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I hear ya, and since I've got cash to burn, I'm pretty free to do whatever. I'm just trying to figure out if there's anyway I'd get burned on this. EB/GS tend to do free overnight shipping on the bundles? That'd be sweet. ;)

[quote name='botticus']Yeah, as long as you are #x on the list, and x is less than the number of units they have in the store, yours should be secured for you for 48 hours.[/quote]

Interesting. I figured they'd cater to customers who didn't pre-order that morning. That's pretty cool - I'll have to call them up first thing in the AM, then. Or rather, I'd love if someone in the Eastern time zone could check first thing in the AM then post here if they're taking pre-orders (I assume all locations would do it at the same time, likely?).

One more thing - is this the same policy for games? If so, haven't they been taking Wii game pre-orders for a while now? So chances are I'd be out of luck there and might be better off going to a retailer that doesn't issue pre-orders. Hmm.

[quote name='fuzz']
On top of this is the fact that anyone who has Zelda pre-ordered for the GameCube will also be receiving a call to change their reserve over to the Wii version if they wish to.
[/quote]

Yesterday, I went to EB Games to switch my preorder from GC Zelda to Wii Zelda. Worked no problem, and I had used the "Trade 5 for Zelda deal" last year. I had asked before about switching that preorder (after it's first delay) and had gotten some resistance there.

The guy working there mentioned the trial in Hawaii and said they were still figuring out what to do here. He seemed to think (so take with a grain of salt) that people who had pre-ordered something Wii would get telephone calls inviting them to preorder Wiis first.

Personally, I want to preorder at TRU, since that's where I have the most credit. They like to do bundles, though, so I'm not sure if I'll want to do that.

bread's done
Back