Preorder a 3DS, Get 10% off a Preowned Purchase at Gamestop

Dr. Dib

CAGiversary!
I was at Gamestop today and asked if they were still taking preorders for the 3DS. One of the employees said yes and mentioned that starting today they were giving out either a coupon or a code, I can't remember, for 10% off a preowned purchase with a preorder. As you can probably guess I did not take advantage of this, hence my confusion. If anyone has put off preordering a 3DS and wants to test it out please post your results in this post.

They must not be getting a lot of preorders to be running a promo, right?

How's interest been for 3DS?

At first I thought it was going to be brilliant, now I think it may bomb totally...

We still haven't even got an official release on a date for the USA or a price.. Gamestop should find something else to do until then.

Granted, I have alot of Gamestop credit to use so I may actually preorder with them.. but does anyone know how they handle hardware preorders (and what about specifying a color)? Do they use that awful excuse of a holding policy of 48 hours?

If anyone has put off preordering a 3DS and wants to test it out please post your results in this post.

What are you expecting with this? Someone to come back and post that they got 10% off a deal? Of course that's what they'd post if that's what the deal is.

10% is nothing. It'll probably stack with the edge card and give 20% off, but that's still pretty terrible. Hell, we get 16% off all of our used game purchases online with code CAG16 without preordering anything, and the website's generally cheaper on all game prices.. so.. thanks for posting, OP, but that's a pretty poor deal.

[quote name='dserafin1986']They must not be getting a lot of preorders to be running a promo, right?

At first I thought it was going to be brilliant, now I think it may bomb totally...[/QUOTE]

Its a Nintendo handheld. It won't bomb. :lol:

People said the same thing about the original DS and Wii.

[quote name='dserafin1986']They must not be getting a lot of preorders to be running a promo, right?

At first I thought it was going to be brilliant, now I think it may bomb totally...[/QUOTE]

You do realize that it's unequivocally impossible for that to happen?

[quote name='Scorch']What are you expecting with this? Someone to come back and post that they got 10% off a deal? Of course that's what they'd post if that's what the deal is.

10% is nothing. It'll probably stack with the edge card and give 20% off, but that's still pretty terrible. Hell, we get 16% off all of our used game purchases online with code CAG16 without preordering anything, and the website's generally cheaper on all game prices.. so.. thanks for posting, OP, but that's a pretty poor deal.[/QUOTE]

Except lots of games aren't available online but are in store.

Anyone know the minimum needed to reserve the 3DS? Is it the normal $5 or more since its hardware?

If there's anyone here who work at or can get in touch with GameStop corporate, tell them shitty deals like this are why I'm pre-ordering elsewhere.

$50 to preorder is ridiculous. Gamestop hasn't realized yet that before launch I'll be able to go on Amazon, make a couple of clicks and have it preordered free of charge.

[quote name='Trance Addix']You do realize that it's unequivocally impossible for that to happen?[/QUOTE]

Two words for you...Virtual Boy

Now I don't think this will be a repeat of that, but if this thing is $250-300 with $40-50 games, I don't think it will be selling kergillions in year one. I'm sure it will be impressive, but given the other options in mobile gaming nowadays (iphones and ipod touches with $1 games), that is a pretty high price premium for just 3D.

They've barely begun any kind of marketing push for preorders for the 3DS. I think it's a little early to call its death. On top of that, the $300 price point is speculation. If it really is that price, then Nintendo must be testing the waters to see if they've reached Apple status yet.

Anyway, I actually am going to go preorder one today and I'll see if I get the coupon. An extra 10% off is an extra 10% off at a store I shop at frequently. Can't really argue with that.

[quote name='Penguin1084']$50 to preorder is ridiculous. Gamestop hasn't realized yet that before launch I'll be able to go on Amazon, make a couple of clicks and have it preordered free of charge.[/QUOTE]

Except for the authorization charge that reserves the full price of the system on your card.

tUERw.jpg

[quote name='Fernando Rocker']Do you guys know that tomorrow (Sunday in Japan) there is going to be a Nintendo event detailing all the 3DS info, right?[/QUOTE]

I think we'll start hearing about it today, thanks to the time difference.

Although we've already figured out that the Nintendo 3DS is going to be the next Virtual Boy, it might be smart for CAGs to preorder before they blow the lid on launch details.

[quote name='dinja nog']I think we'll start hearing about it today, thanks to the time difference.

Although we've already figured out that the Nintendo 3DS is going to be the next Virtual Boy, it might be smart for CAGs to preorder before they blow the lid on launch details.[/QUOTE]

Again... not sure if serious...

do they have a trade in promo for old iterations of ds? i have a ds lite i havnt used since the last phoenix wright; i probably won't use it till the next one either. it would be opportune if they offered something

[quote name='K_G']Two words for you...Virtual Boy

Now I don't think this will be a repeat of that, but if this thing is $250-300 with $40-50 games, I don't think it will be selling kergillions in year one. I'm sure it will be impressive, but given the other options in mobile gaming nowadays (iphones and ipod touches with $1 games), that is a pretty high price premium for just 3D.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo was in a very different place then, and they have definitely learned their lessons. 3DS will harvest the momentum from the DS to sell quickly. One thing Nintendo has in the bag is that core gamers are all salivating for it (did you see the lineup? It's amazing, and Nintendo definitely won E3 imo). Among the core, you have soccer moms, grandmas, etc. and they all fall for the gimmicky stuff.

I am 100% sure that the 3DS will not flop like the Virtual Boy. Please quote me on that when the time comes.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A SHITTY DEAL. 10% extra off a used game is not 'shitty'. Is it world breaking? No. But it's not 'shitty'. Shitty deals = paying more than MSRP. Anything that gives you a bonus, discount, etc is not shitty. If you'd rather not get the 10% because you're butthurt about gutted games and stickers on cases, thats fine. But if i'm preordering a 3ds and either not getting 10% or getting 10%, i'll take the bonus, thanks. im just waiting to see if any other preorder deals come up. i'll decide which one i like best. it might be this one, it might not. but it isn't 'shitty'. fuck.

[quote name='Trance Addix']Nintendo was in a very different place then, and they have definitely learned their lessons. 3DS will harvest the momentum from the DS to sell quickly. One thing Nintendo has in the bag is that core gamers are all salivating for it (did you see the lineup? It's amazing, and Nintendo definitely won E3 imo). Among the core, you have soccer moms, grandmas, etc. and they all fall for the gimmicky stuff.

I am 100% sure that the 3DS will not flop like the Virtual Boy. Please quote me on that when the time comes.[/QUOTE]

two words: soccer moms! It won't fail and people will pay what ever price the games are.

IMO the casual audience has already been reached, its going to be tough to sell another system, especially if the price point really is $300. If the price is really that much, then this thing better offer MORE than what the iPod touch does, I am talking full download store with 1$ games, a free playable demo for nearly every game coming out that can be downloaded, full web browser that actually works, apps, check in apps, location based services, GPS, face chat between systems etc.. The casual audience already has a DS that works perfectly fine, and has a huge library of games for cheaper prices than the new system. If you have played all the good DS games by now, well I don't know what to say, I certainly haven't played all the good DS games yet and I owned the original DS since launch in 2004.

If they released the 3DS around the holidays I would have no doubt it would be a blockbuster, it wouldn't even be a question, but since they are releasing in March I think it may take up until next holiday season for the momentum to really build on this system. Sure you will have the early adopters who pay full price but its possible the momentum may die after that until the holiday season.

Look at the PSP GO, the $250 price tag definitely turned people off on that one, plus the fact that you couldn't buy games in stores.

I am not buying this thing until the second revision comes out, IMO there is room for improvement, there is always room for improvement in a launch product.

IMO its sleazy for GS to take preorders on the 3DS and not even tell us the price of what we are buying (I don't care if the price hasn't been released yet), its just not a good idea to preorder something when you don't even know how much it will cost.

offer MORE than what the iPod touch does

But the iPod Touch already has shittons more shovelware.

You're asking for the 3DS to be something it isn't. The 3DS is a game system first, multimedia device second. The reverse holds true for the iPod and iPad.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='SaraAB']IMO the casual audience has already been reached, its going to be tough to sell another system, especially if the price point really is $300. [/QUOTE]
Tell that to Move and Kinect.

Seriously, 3DS is probably going to have the strongest hand-held release of all time.

The reasons for the failure of the PSP Go go WELL beyond the price tag, which while high, wouldn't have been insurmountable had Sony not pretty much shaq'd up everything else (no UMD, no compatibility/conversion methods for upgraders, high prices for games relative to UMD, the PSP was already floudering, etc)

The 3DS, barring causing retinal bleeding or blindness in kids under 6, is probably going to be the biggest handheld ever. This is bringing something really new to the table for the first time in a long time.

That said, I'm not giving Gamestop a penny in advance for a pre-order; Amazon all the way...

[quote name='GUNNM']Chances they release a mega man themed 3ds?[/QUOTE]

US=slim to none
Japan=possible

EDIT: That is also only if they plan a big release or an anniversary is coming up which is usually the case.

[quote name='Trance Addix']Nintendo was in a very different place then, and they have definitely learned their lessons. 3DS will harvest the momentum from the DS to sell quickly. One thing Nintendo has in the bag is that core gamers are all salivating for it (did you see the lineup? It's amazing, and Nintendo definitely won E3 imo). Among the core, you have soccer moms, grandmas, etc. and they all fall for the gimmicky stuff.

I am 100% sure that the 3DS will not flop like the Virtual Boy. Please quote me on that when the time comes.[/QUOTE]

I didn't say it would flop, I just said it isn't going to be super smash at that price point. It will sell to nintendo base, and only the wealthy part of that section. Soccer moms and grannies aren't trend makers and they've likely got DS/DSIs that do a good enough job on that front. Nor does it help when Nintendo says, 'errr, young kids really shouldn't use this either because it might mess up their eyes'. This is going to be the most expensive handheld nintendo has ever released and it remains to be seen if the 3D-ness is really all that much of an improvement from a game fun standpoint....and given it uniqueness of the display (ie, you can't look at TV commercial or a you tube clip and see what all the fuss it is about, unlike, say, the wii), it is going to be a slow start to the mass market....folks are going to need to see one these in their hands to decide if its really worth it or not.

And that intro line up is all you can look forward to for the next year or so as well....Publishers are going to wait and see how well this does before dumping alot support behind it, given the much higher development costs and the much smaller installed base.

Regardless of how many suckers Nintendo gets at 3DS launch at whatever price point they select (I suspect I'll be one of them), this Gamestop preorder offer is almost insultingly paltry. It guarantees I'll buy my 3DS elsewhere.

This is one of those promotions where everyone is going to buy it so they try and throw in something to entice you to buy it from Gamestop. Same reason they throw in an "exclusive gun" for some crap for big games like Call of Duty, not because it's going to bomb.

At $300 this thing is 50% more expensive than my PS3 was (thank you Amazon). No thanks Nintendo. You may gouge all you wish (they freely admit that's why the price is high), and I will appropriately snub you for it.

Given that Nintendo hasn't even set a price for the US, it's a bit early to rag on it for the price.

That said, it's probably going to be $250 in the US (I'd think $300 only if it includes a game). And it probably has to be high, given this is the first time these screens have really been used in a truly mass market product.. I'm sure the supply just isn't there, unlike plain ol' dime a dozen LCDs. Why sell the system at $150 or $200 and sell out immediately (and not get tons of restocks) when you can price it at $250 or $300 and slow demand down SLIGHTLY and make a lot more money?

It's simple business, and I think Nintendo is (accurately) judging for very high demand and pricing accordingly.

Don't forget, 4 months after its released, they'll offer different colors. 9 months after it's released, they'll offer a version with better lighting/color/3d/whatever. It'll be smaller/bigger too. Less than six months later after that, it'll have sweet 'rare' zelda/mario/whatever editions, also it's smaller/bigger/better. And 4D :p

[quote name='Drclaw411']THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A SHITTY DEAL. 10% extra off a used game is not 'shitty'. Is it world breaking? No. But it's not 'shitty'. Shitty deals = paying more than MSRP.[/QUOTE]Giving GameStop a $50 interest free loan for ~90 days is a kin to paying over MSRP.

[quote name='d8onausa']Giving GameStop a $50 interest free loan for ~90 days is a kin to paying over MSRP.[/QUOTE]

this.

[quote name='Icehearted']At $300 this thing is 50% more expensive than my PS3 was (thank you Amazon). No thanks Nintendo. You may gouge all you wish (they freely admit that's why the price is high), and I will appropriately snub you for it.[/QUOTE]

Congrats on a pointless post. You got PS3 cheaper because the system has been out for a while now. We are talking a brand new system on day one. Not 3 years later.

[quote name='Mag215']Congrats on a pointless post. You got PS3 cheaper because the system has been out for a while now. We are talking a brand new system on day one. Not 3 years later.[/QUOTE]

Also, all signs point to a 250 dollar system. Historically, Japan has always had higher prices.

[quote name='Mag215']Congrats on a pointless post. You got PS3 cheaper because the system has been out for a while now. We are talking a brand new system on day one. Not 3 years later.[/QUOTE]

A brand new "portable" system, not a "home" console . . . and in no way worth $300, or even $200, regardless of the new gimmicks.

Nintendo is laughing all the way to the bank with all their faithful followers, who will buy whatever they put out, in every possible color variation and "revision", regardless of how good their actual products are. That's why I stopped buying their systems after the N64, though I do believe the NES, SNES, N64, and even (to some extent) GBA-SP were all great systems (and I still own them all).

I love the older Nintendo systems and their games, but since the Gamecube they've really gone downhill. A shame. :cry:

[quote name='chimpmeister']A brand new "portable" system, not a "home" console . . . and in no way worth $300, or even $200, regardless of the new gimmicks.

Nintendo is laughing all the way to the bank with all their faithful followers, who will buy whatever they put out, in every possible color variation and "revision", regardless of how good their actual products are. That's why I stopped buying their systems after the N64, though I do believe the NES, SNES, N64, and even (to some extent) GBA-SP were all great systems (and I still own them all).

I love the older Nintendo systems and their games, but since the Gamecube they've really gone downhill. A shame. :cry:[/QUOTE]

As if only Nintendo does this.

[quote name='chimpmeister']A brand new "portable" system, not a "home" console . . . and in no way worth $300, or even $200, regardless of the new gimmicks.

I love the older Nintendo systems and their games, but since the Gamecube they've really gone downhill. A shame. :cry:[/QUOTE]

You must be joking - the DS is one of my all time favorite consoles (next to the ps2). In just the Advance War series alone I spent many hundreds of hours; throw in the RPGS, classic Nintendo games, Layton series and you have one hell of a success story.

The people that only play Black Ops and Halo (not saying you do and yes I'm stereotyping a bit) all day will not truly appreciate the wonders of the DS.

Bring on the PSP2 is all I have to say. Nintendo has always been a generation behind with its portables and this time isn't any different. Even all the way back to the original gameboy, the Lynx, Game Gear, and Nomad were all much much better. Also the Turbo Express. Three hundred dollars for a portable gamecube....ROFL. That's even worse than $250 for a smooshed gamecube with a waggle controller in 2006.

[quote name='Trance Addix']You must be joking - the DS is one of my all time favorite consoles (next to the ps2). In just the Advance War series alone I spent many hundreds of hours; throw in the RPGS, classic Nintendo games, Layton series and you have one hell of a success story.

The people that only play Black Ops and Halo (not saying you do and yes I'm stereotyping a bit) all day will not truly appreciate the wonders of the DS.[/QUOTE]

How did you spend hundreds of hours on Advance Wars? The DS entries in that series were awful. Maybe you have your DS confused with your GBA.

For those who are "seriously" using Virtual Boy as an example as to how the 3DS may fail there is a gigantic difference between sticking a big, clunky, 2 colored device with crap games causing people to have severe headaches to a true Nintendo-made handheld.

The 3DS will succeed, it really comes down to how many versions of it will be released. Personally I'm holding out for the Super Ultra Turbo Slim Mario/Kirby/Zelda Anniversary Extra Cool Rainbow Colored 3DS to be released next year.

bread's done
Back