Preorder a 3DS, Get 10% off a Preowned Purchase at Gamestop

Dr. Dib

CAGiversary!
I was at Gamestop today and asked if they were still taking preorders for the 3DS. One of the employees said yes and mentioned that starting today they were giving out either a coupon or a code, I can't remember, for 10% off a preowned purchase with a preorder. As you can probably guess I did not take advantage of this, hence my confusion. If anyone has put off preordering a 3DS and wants to test it out please post your results in this post.

[quote name='UltraMysteryDopplega']How did you spend hundreds of hours on Advance Wars? The DS entries in that series were awful. Maybe you have your DS confused with your GBA.[/QUOTE]

Days of Ruin was great - no need to bring it down. And I did play all of the other ones.

[quote name='UltraMysteryDopplega']Bring on the PSP2 is all I have to say. Nintendo has always been a generation behind with its portables and this time isn't any different. Even all the way back to the original gameboy, the Lynx, Game Gear, and Nomad were all much much better. Also the Turbo Express. Three hundred dollars for a portable gamecube....ROFL. That's even worse than $250 for a smooshed gamecube with a waggle controller in 2006.[/QUOTE]

Go troll elsewhere.

[quote name='rawrker'] it really comes down to how many versions of it will be released. Personally I'm holding out for the Super Ultra Turbo Slim Mario/Kirby/Zelda Anniversary Extra Cool Rainbow Colored 3DS to be released next year.[/QUOTE]
I want the Brain implant version from 2014:drool:

What the hell guys. I make my first thread about a deal and it turns into a 3 page flame war on the merits of the deal? That's the last time I give you guys anyway.

Well not really. I guess the fact that I didn't even jump on it shows something. Maybe.

[quote name='Dr. Dib']What the hell guys. I make my first thread about a deal and it turns into a 3 page flame war on the merits of the deal? That's the last time I give you guys anyway.

Well not really. I guess the fact that I didn't even jump on it shows something. Maybe.[/QUOTE]

No, this is CheapAssGamer, unless it's a thread about how you MIGHT get Black Ops for 6.00 if you buy something at one store, price match at two others, return one, get a rebate with coupon, drive across town and visit 3 more stores to get store credit with a pricematch and then go back to the first store to match their own websites price divided by the price at the last store...then there will be bitching and whining about SOMETHING.

[quote name='rawrker']For those who are "seriously" using Virtual Boy as an example as to how the 3DS may fail there is a gigantic difference between sticking a big, clunky, 2 colored device with crap games causing people to have severe headaches to a true Nintendo-made handheld.
[/QUOTE]

Crap games? Take that back. Galactic Pinball is one of the best damn pinball games ever made.

[quote name='d8onausa']Giving GameStop a $50 interest free loan for ~90 days is a kin to paying over MSRP.[/QUOTE]

No it's not. Do you know what a preorder is? Please walk in to any video game/music/movie store and you'll find out. It is not a "loan" (why the fuck did you even say that?). A loan is something that they borrow and pay you back. A preorder is for those who want to ensure they get a product the day it is released, so they are paying some of the price ahead of time. Not extra. They are just paying for it early, reason being (again) they want to make sure they dont get shut out. Not saying they will automatically get shut out if they dont give gamestop a loan...oh wait, that makes 0 logical sense to say...if they don't preorder something, but they'd just prefer to lock in the product and rest easy. You're not paying over MSRP, so dont say stuff that is ignorant.

[quote name='Drclaw411']No it's not. Do you know what a preorder is? Please walk in to any video game/music/movie store and you'll find out. It is not a "loan" (why the fuck did you even say that?). A loan is something that they borrow and pay you back. A preorder is for those who want to ensure they get a product the day it is released, so they are paying some of the price ahead of time. Not extra. They are just paying for it early, reason being (again) they want to make sure they dont get shut out. Not saying they will automatically get shut out if they dont give gamestop a loan...oh wait, that makes 0 logical sense to say...if they don't preorder something, but they'd just prefer to lock in the product and rest easy. You're not paying over MSRP, so dont say stuff that is ignorant.[/QUOTE]

You must not know about interest, and he was using the term "loan" loosely. No reason to go apeshit on him. If gamestop charges you on the day of preorder, that money is sitting in their account earning interest, instead of in your own savings account, until they deliver the goods to you. Any amount you lose in interest, however little it might be, would be like adding to MSRP. If the item has a low sellout risk, there's no reason to do it. Even if you wanted to preorder to make sure you get one, it would be better to do it from a place like amazon, where they don't even charge you until it ships.

And back on topic, I don't know why they even made this 10% off used garbage deal. Don't they have 10% off used coupons almost all the time? They might as well have told him he'll get a free plastic bag to carry it home in.

[quote name='Drclaw411']No it's not. Do you know what a preorder is? Please walk in to any video game/music/movie store and you'll find out. It is not a "loan" (why the fuck did you even say that?). A loan is something that they borrow and pay you back. A preorder is for those who want to ensure they get a product the day it is released, so they are paying some of the price ahead of time. Not extra. They are just paying for it early, reason being (again) they want to make sure they dont get shut out. Not saying they will automatically get shut out if they dont give gamestop a loan...oh wait, that makes 0 logical sense to say...if they don't preorder something, but they'd just prefer to lock in the product and rest easy. You're not paying over MSRP, so dont say stuff that is ignorant.[/QUOTE]

It's hilarious to see you go off on the other poster so strenuously when he is correct and you are dead wrong. Here, educate yourself to avoid further selfpwning:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_value_of_money

3DS doesn't have anything that's impressed me so far. The graphics are a marginal upgrade to what we see on a PSP, which really just makes me anxious to see what the PSP2 will have in store.

The launch titles don't scream killer app, and the only first party launch title (in Japan at least) is Nintendogs + Cats. It's cool that Ocarina is on it, but I think I've played that game enough for a lifetime, as I'm sure most of us on here have as well.

Will wait a considerable amount of time before I consider picking one up. The price will eventually drop, the second run of 3DSs will have some sort of upgrade to the specs, and the game selection will be significant.

Not to mention that I have a plethora of DS games that I haven't even started.

[quote name='Dr. Dib']What the hell guys. I make my first thread about a deal and it turns into a 3 page flame war on the merits of the deal? That's the last time I give you guys anyway.

Well not really. I guess the fact that I didn't even jump on it shows something. Maybe.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I doubt I'll be taking advantage of this deal, but I do appreciate the fact that a preorder deal surfaced. So, thanks.

Also, screw all the haters. Regardless of whether or not the 3DS fails (and I don't think it will), I'll be picking it up eventually.

[quote name='Trance Addix']Also, all signs point to a 250 dollar system. Historically, Japan has always had higher prices.[/QUOTE]

I agree once people see the thing in action combined with ninetendo historic createing a shortage by makeing them hard to get 3ds will be flying off the shelves like hot cakes. When it launches there will be no time for waffling. You either have preordered or you will be driving all around or hit ebay.

I say preorder and wait an see. With preordering at least you secured a spot. If you don't like it cancel after launch or sell the spot.

The difference here IMO is nintendos ironclad reputation for handhelds and the games they put out. People will pay the extra money like I did when I bought the xl mario edition.

One more note I have only heard rave reviews for every one that has had some serious play time with it.

Well just a couple of points to contribute.

Gamestop has a few games listed in their system; they ar $29.99 or $39.99, which suggests a likely price point. I imagine flagship titles/RPG's will slip to $49.99 at times.

Also these games have a release date of June 1st and 2nd. Which could mean nothing but may suggest a slip in the US launch date.

I had to put down $50 for a preorder - I don't mind that for a system because it will reduce my out of pocket on launch day - I could also put more down each time I go in....it works for me.

LISTED GAMES:
Cartoon Network Super-Toon Rumble $39.99
Lovely Lisa $29.99
Madden NFL Football $39.99
The Sims 3 $39.99
Super Monkey Ball $39.99

Nothing exciting for me in that list but there aren't any Nintendo titles listed yet.

[quote name='Trebuken']Well just a couple of points to contribute.

Gamestop has a few games listed in their system; they ar $29.99 or $39.99, which suggests a likely price point. I imagine flagship titles/RPG's will slip to $49.99 at times.

Also these games have a release date of June 1st and 2nd. Which could mean nothing but may suggest a slip in the US launch date.

I had to put down $50 for a preorder - I don't mind that for a system because it will reduce my out of pocket on launch day - I could also put more down each time I go in....it works for me.

LISTED GAMES:
Cartoon Network Super-Toon Rumble $39.99
Lovely Lisa $29.99
Madden NFL Football $39.99
The Sims 3 $39.99
Super Monkey Ball $39.99

Nothing exciting for me in that list but there aren't any Nintendo titles listed yet.[/QUOTE]

Why does EA insist upon not putting the year in the title of the first madden game on a new console. Annoying.

[quote name='Cmosfm']No, this is CheapAssGamer, unless it's a thread about how you MIGHT get Black Ops for 6.00 if you buy something at one store, price match at two others, return one, get a rebate with coupon, drive across town and visit 3 more stores to get store credit with a pricematch and then go back to the first store to match their own websites price divided by the price at the last store...then there will be bitching and whining about SOMETHING.[/QUOTE]

You forgot to mention that you are required to sell the game on ebay for a profit after all that, no one actually buys the best deals to play, just for profit.

[quote name='chimpmeister']A brand new "portable" system, not a "home" console . . . and in no way worth $300, or even $200, regardless of the new gimmicks.

Nintendo is laughing all the way to the bank with all their faithful followers, who will buy whatever they put out, in every possible color variation and "revision", regardless of how good their actual products are. That's why I stopped buying their systems after the N64, though I do believe the NES, SNES, N64, and even (to some extent) GBA-SP were all great systems (and I still own them all).

I love the older Nintendo systems and their games, but since the Gamecube they've really gone downhill. A shame. :cry:[/QUOTE]

At least Nintendo systems work with the games years down the road (well most of the games, if you don't count GBA compatibility issues with the DSi but that applies to only a handful of games), with the iPod touch you are gonna have to buy a new one every 2-3 years just so your games will run with the latest updates, especially if you want the games to run well. Apple discontinues firmware support for older devices like the original iPhone and the 1st Gen iPod touch which people paid a premium for when they first came out. Since you can't get iOS 4 on those devices a lot of the newer games won't run on them and if they run they will run horribly. I bought an iPod touch 4th Gen but I knew this going into the purchase. The original DS from 2004 still works with all the games that come out for the DS today and the 1st Gen iPod touch from 2007 won't even run most games on the app store now. The original PSP still works with all the games too.

I bought a DSi because my DS Lite broke but I still keep my old phat DS from 2004 around so I can transfer Pokemon from my GBA games, it still works fine other then that fact that the battery life is very very bad but you can still play it when plugged in.

As for my backlog of games I have way too many hundred hour long RPG's to even think about buying a new DS system..... I will only be interested when a new Pokemon RPG game comes out and that won't likely happen for a long time since Pokemon Black and White aren't even out in the USA yet.

[quote name='kaydigi']Is Street Fighter not a launch title?[/QUOTE]

It's been confirmed as a launch title for Japan, I believe the only confirmed launch title for the 3DS in the States so far is Madden. I was surprised to see that only one first party title will be ready for the Japanese launch, and that's Nintendogs +Cats, seems odd since I recall that Ocarina of Time was being hyped when this thing was first unveiled.

[quote name='Nionel']It's been confirmed as a launch title for Japan, I believe the only confirmed launch title for the 3DS in the States so far is Madden. I was surprised to see that only one first party title will be ready for the Japanese launch, and that's Nintendogs +Cats, seems odd since I recall that Ocarina of Time was being hyped when this thing was first unveiled.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, it priced at $58 in Japan.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/01/09/super_sfiv_3d_edition_impressions/

[quote name='Penguin1084']$50 to preorder is ridiculous. Gamestop hasn't realized yet that before launch I'll be able to go on Amazon, make a couple of clicks and have it preordered free of charge.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I'm pretty certain they realize that. In fact, that's precisely how their own website works. However, what you need to realize, is that a brick and mortar store does things a bit differently out of necessity.

With an online preorder, they have your credit card number stored and the moment these things become available, they can charge you for it and get it out the door. In store, however, they don't do things like that. The last thing they need is having 500 preorders stacked to the ceiling and waiting to be picked up by customers with no obligation to do so, who may have been thinking "It doesn't cost anything, so yeah, I'll register for a preorder and MAYBE I'll get it at launch if I feel like picking it up." when they placed it.

Brick and mortar stores with extremely limited space need a solid commitment from the customer to buy before they go spending the money to ship hardware out to stores, then have them sit on it- 48 hours per customer, before they're able to offer it to the next on the list or make it available to the general public, who can go run somewhere else and buy it in the meantime.

It's not a hard thing to figure out, really.

I think I might get it from GS or BB. If it launches on a Sunday, I rather get it that day then wait and get it the next. Sitting at work with a box from Amazon while my students are playing their 3DSs, it would be too much. lol

bread's done
Back