Preparing for GMAT-Any Tips

Chris Dillon

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
Get done with school may 15 and preparing to take the test june 15th, i would wait longer but my application for grad school is due the first of july, but i'm preparing to study for about an hour a day for 30 days, should i be worried? I'm an accounting major that is very math oriented so i'm not to concerned about the mathematical part but from the practice tests figure out what I need to work on. But, I know for a fact that the vocal part that i'm going to need to work hard on. I know i'm gonna have problems selecting the best sentance structure. I'm sure by reading this you can tell how bad of a writer/general english person i am.

So any tips on how to prep. I was prepared to buy the official GMAT review book, and then one book focusing on the vocal, and one focusing on the mathematics. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

I think that taking a couple practice exams is probably the best way to go about it.

When taking the test: Just make sure that you don't spend too much time on any one question. It is pretty much like any other standardized test.

I bought one of the generalized study guides (The one published by Kaplan), which was pretty helpful, it gives you a good idea of what to expect while taking the exam, as well as plenty of strategies and practice questions. I was able to score 590 on the exam, which was enough to get into the grad school I was trying to get into.

dude, seriously buy a practice book with a bunch of tests... hats probably the best way and take them over and over till you get used to it.

also, if you take a full test, and see your math is solid... i would forget studying it and focus all on verbal to higher your score... but only do that if your math really is solid

when i was taking a GED practice test, i did great btw, and the college admission test, i noticed that they were repeating stuff in different sentences, and then when talking to my english composition teacher, she told me not to repeat the same information in each sentence(within the same paragraph). She said it was okay, to give the main points in the first paragraph and a little information about the main points, and then in the other paragraphs elaborate each main point while trying to avoid repetition.
i was trying to think for an example, hmmm..... dang it. im going to look for a paper my cousin was working on, and ill post the example later.

The math section is a joke, the writing section is reasonably easy if you can think and write clearly (just be sure you follow their rules). The English section can be a bit of a pain however, I recall quite a number of questions involving words I'd never heard of.

All in all practice tests books and especially practice classes really help, a friend of mine raised his score 150 points after going through a Saturday class.

Pace yourself on the writing section and be aware of the time you have left (Not that writing matters that much in most admission decisions). I took it in 2003 and scored a 660, I believe. The subject matter in the math section isn't difficult, but some of the answer types are kind of tricky.

Most importantly, remember the test is computer adaptive. That means it is much more important to answer questions correctly at the beginning of the exam, as the exam is trying to adapt to your appropriate skill level. Take more time on the initial questions, but be sure to finish all sections or you will be penalized.

Take a Kaplan course. And if it's even half as tough as the DAT, 30 hours won't do diddly squat to prepare you. But then, I know nothing about the management test, so you'll have to decide that.

I took the LSAT, not the GMAT, but I would echo what everyone else is saying about practice exams. Not only will it help you prepare, but it will also give you a huge confidence boost when you walk in the testing center.

bread's done
Back