Pretenious writer waxes poetic on video games

Ha, that's my fucking local paper. The article is definitely pretenious, and the mom's quote that "videogames are dangerous to children and families" is alarmist and bullshit. As for videogames being addicting, that's true. But who isn't addicted to something? Mommy and Daddy would probably be just as pissy in the morning without their coffee.

After reading this article, "Dad" beat the living crap out of "Mom" for making him look like an ass on a national stage. As if her saying, "I told you so" wasn't enough, now he has to deal with the laminated article in the family scrapbook where a complete stranger tells him "I told you so"... twice. Surely this article gets passed around to all his family and friends as well.

fuck, all he wants to do is read the damn newspaper.

[quote name='epobirs']Pretenious?[/quote]

Not sure why but this made me laugh...

EDIT: OK, just read the article...

nefarious devices
Just awesome. Also, what dumbass parent actually believes "You cannot control it"? You are the fucking parent - of course you can control it. Jesus Christ these kids are already doomed.

[quote name='javeryh']Not sure why but this made me laugh...[/QUOTE]

The fact that he kind of came off as pretentious when correcting the spelling was humorous. It's funny at a level that a lot of people won't understand or, at the very least, won't agree with me on. But, remember, you heard it here first that it was indeed funny. Maybe you don't get it now, but someday you'll look back at it and think, "by damn, shipwreck was right".

[quote name='javeryh']Just awesome. Also, what dumbass parent actually believes "You cannot control it"? You are the ing parent - of course you can control it. Jesus Christ these kids are already doomed.[/quote]

Imagine them in twenty years when all their peers are trained killers and arsonists. A lot of good their arts & crafts and lincoln log houses are going to do them then.

Wow, what an ass.

I'd like to state that I have 6 sisters, and we all "For the most part, get along very well. We have ourr squabbles, but they are rare and brief. The older children got good grades in school, did their chores without protest, and are respectful and obedient." I missed valedictorian at my school because my sister beat me. And video games had been in my house since I was 5.

Ever think maybe that it was the fact that you barely let the kids have any fun, and had them playing with just Lincoln Logs and Legos all day that when they got a real "toy" they actually realized there was fun to be had, and they went too far with it?

You know who I really feel bad for is those kids. They are going to be so desensitized to reality, that they are either going to be serial killers or hermits. There's a difference between parenting and going OCD on your children.

But I won't say I told you so...

I like the fact that this douche is basing his entire argument against videogames on one person's experience. I especially like this fact since this guy's website is all about "Traditional Parenting." No doubt all of the little anecdotes he received about the negatives of videogames came from viewers of this site. Slightly biased, dontchathink?

Anyway, the children used as examples in this situation seemed relatively young (a 5 year old was mentioned). I mean giving an Xbox to a 5 year old who previously entertained with Legos and Lincoln Logs is like giving crack to Robert Downey Jr. ;)

Goddammit... I gotta rant.

The hell are kids doing with an Xbox any way? Fragging console has near jack shit other than bad ports when it comes to games appropriate to kids.

Get the little bastards a GameCube. My nephew loves the games on there, and neither I nor his parents would want him NEAR most of the stuff on the Xbox that I love.

And blah, video games must be treated as a luxury to kids. X number of hours allowed per day, good behavior must be maintained to be allowed to play it... and sharing MUST be enforced with multiple kids. It's not the universal goddamn babysitter parents want it to be.

They want it to be the perfect damn babysitter, with no ill effects whatsoever... it's not dammit. It's just like any other toy. And it's a toy that has lots of violent games on it that can influence negative behavior in children unless said children are taught VERY WELL that games are fantasy and you MUST maintain a pyschological barrier between their fantasy, and reality around them.

Ugh. Put them in front of Animal Crossing and Mario Sunshine, enfroce rules so they don't get horribly addicted (like kids can become with many toys, not JUST VGames) and if their friends get to play God of War, GTA, or anything else inappropriate, then dammit... tell the little bastards you don't give a rat's ass what Johnny Punkass across the street gets to play, you aren't supporting their asses.

Okay I'm done. Now to go find a game present my nephew'll like, without turning him into a little monster, or making his parents hate me =) ... and then go play some God of War, Manhunt, Condemned, Silent Hill, and any other violent as hell disturbing stuff I wouldn't let any one under 13 near.

-rant off

I have a feeling a lot of these articles pop up from parents feeling disconnected from their kids' interests. Whenever I see some parent rant and rave about how videogames ruined their kids, all I can see is some parent being mad because they're failed to understand their children's interests.

So who are you mad at? Certainly not yourself! You're the pinnacle of parenting! Certainly not your children, they've always been you're little babies! It's those infernal, evil videogames, because I don't understand them! It's inevitable, and it'll happen time and time again.

and some great quotes for those who don't bother to scan the whole travesty.

Were these the same children who, pre-Xbox, had never had a problem entertaining themselves? Actually, they were not the "same" children at all. They

Alert the media! Videogames kidnap your children and replace them with pod people! OH NOES! How could a parent say something like this?

"Keep in mind that my kids used to wake at 6 a.m. and immediately dress and head down to their craft area

This just goes to show how much the mother wanted to craft the perfect little house on the prarie household and when it didn't work, she needed someone to blame it on.

Mom ends her story with a warning to all parents: "I firmly believe that video games are dangerous to children and families. Do not buy one. You cannot control it."

How can she say this after herself telling in the story how she actually did control it. This is the only good thing mentioned in the article, is that if her kids were actually behaving that way, getting rid of it was a good idea. Most parents would just bitch and gripe and be too spineless to get rid of it.

I can't say i'm surprised that her kids exhibited some of this behavior (which probably was mixed in with a generous helping of hyperbole) considering they hadn't been exposed to much television.

I will say this, that her kids will have a definite disadvantage when it comes to familiarity with computers and technology in the future. You can't argue that videogames had a remarkable effect upon our generation in making us so comfortable with things like that, for the better.

[quote name='shipwreck']The fact that he kind of came off as pretentious when correcting the spelling was humorous. It's funny at a level that a lot of people won't understand or, at the very least, won't agree with me on. But, remember, you heard it here first that it was indeed funny. Maybe you don't get it now, but someday you'll look back at it and think, "by damn, shipwreck was right".

Imagine them in twenty years when all their peers are trained killers and arsonists. A lot of good their arts & crafts and lincoln log houses are going to do them then.[/quote]

Exactly.
I mean, look at the stuff we grew up on.
I watched and played with G.I. Joe, Transformers and a NES growing up. I'm proficient with numerous small arms as well as multiple scripting and programming languages, and have developed a keen interest in Robotics and AI.

That seems a bit better than an artist (arts and crafts), or a construction worker (Lincoln Logs).

And now you know.....and knowing is half the battle. :D

and by damn, shipwreck is right. Even if you don't know it yet. :)

[quote name='jer7583']How can she say this after herself telling in the story how she actually did control it. This is the only good thing mentioned in the article, is that if her kids were actually behaving that way, getting rid of it was a good idea. Most parents would just bitch and gripe and be too spineless to get rid of it.

I can't say i'm surprised that her kids exhibited some of this behavior (which probably was mixed in with a generous helping of hyperbole) considering they hadn't been exposed to much television.

I will say this, that her kids will have a definite disadvantage when it comes to familiarity with computers and technology in the future. You can't argue that videogames had a remarkable effect upon our generation in making us so comfortable with things like that, for the better.[/quote]

Exactly what I thought. "Theres no way to control it....except the way I just did" She just proved that when her kids say "Can we play Xbox?" She just says no, and everything is fine. Now if he kids just got up and went straight to the Xbox and started playing, then refused to stop that would be a problem. Having the kids ask and not make a fuss when they can't is not a problem at all.

fuck, my parents would have been annoyed as hell if I woke up at 6 AM fully dressed and started building magnetic towers and doing arts and crafts. They were okay with me waking up at 9 to watch cartoons but as long as it wasn't loud enough to wake them up before 11. And if video games meant they could sit and do their check book and cook dinner without being annoyed or pestered then video games were the holy grail of parenting.

More than anything, at least when I grew up, video games taught me more than magnetic blocks or crafts could. I forget what television show it was, but there was this one parent who said "you know, if you pay attention, video games can teach you a lot" and it's fucking true. Some 10 year old playing through Shining Force and Phantasy Star, memorizing combos and specal moves in Street Fighter, doing Sonic levels in under 4 minutes with 200 plus rings, has a lot more skills than these fancy pants Hobby Lobby loving brats.

I'm just saying: the analytical skills, memory workouts, thought processes, reflexes, and just plain reading and thinking that video games [at least the good ones] put you through can't be found in most entertainment media. Some kids won't pick up a book for even a second but they'll read through an entire RPG? That's got to mean something. Even if some people say, "well, he could have the presidents and the states memorized instead of the Pokeman", I'd like to see you try to memorize over 150 monsters, their moves, their best strategies, and where to find them. Once that kid finds something else he likes, he'll pick it up just as easily too, and who is to say that something else isn't math or science or music or something of real benefit to society

More than anything, on a purely instinctual level, these parents are just plain weird. They remind me of the borg, or a beehive, or some sort of unified collective with the express purpose of destroying all civilization. Who cleans up that fucking magnetic tower?! What games do they invent?! You know who invents games and makes up stories to pass the time? Crazy people in prison: the fucking Count of Monte Cristo holed up in chateau dif counting the bricks in his cell, writing catchy catch phrases, and giving the bricks names!

Of course, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt: video games today aren't the same games I grew up with. Back then you could actually learn something through the games, the games actually tested you and made you a better person, now the games are all just mindless fluff for the express purpose of meaningless entertainment. Parents worry about 9 year olds playing "violent video games"?! I'd worry about them playing SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS THE MOVIE and KIMPOSSIBLE SECRET MISSIONS.

There were some sad faces at first. This morning, however, we were all in the family room; my husband was reading the paper, my boys were all building a huge tower with their magnet building blocks and laughing and talking. It was just like it used to be on weekend mornings in our house.''

This is the line that made me laugh. Seems like this woman has her entire life structured and can't deal with outside influences. She reminds me of the type of person who gives me dirty looks when my autistic sister acts out in public. The look of, "why can't you control your kid?"

Furthermore, they mention the research backs up what they are saying...yet from what I've read, research has shown that games don't have the negative influence that people think, and the following in a child's life play a much bigger role: mood altering meds, domestic violence, divorce and mental illness.

okay, so the kids are Rod and Todd...they are so sheltered that when something as radical as an....xbox....comes into the house, they flip out. perhaps they should watch a few Schwarzneggar films, get some lessons in conflict resolution, go to public school instead of home school and grow a set.

when something as simple as an xbox causes such an extreme and isolated reaction, it probably denotes a larger problem.

He sure proved his point, I mean, their 5 year old kid cried when they took away a toy he was enjoying, which really proves that video games are damaging for your health. Because, you know, that's very uncommon for kids that age.

As I read this, I could only think

What, What, Whaaat?
msbrof.gif

if i have kids, i'm putting a super nintendo in their room from day 1

fuck if i'm gonna raise my kids on some full house shit.. no wonder the kids are addicted to the damn x-box, you got them worn out on fucking lincoln logs!

[quote name='seanr1221']This is the line that made me laugh. Seems like this woman has her entire life structured and can't deal with outside influences. She reminds me of the type of person who gives me dirty looks when my autistic sister acts out in public. The look of, "why can't you control your kid?"

Furthermore, they mention the research backs up what they are saying...yet from what I've read, research has shown that games don't have the negative influence that people think, and the following in a child's life play a much bigger role: mood altering meds, domestic violence, divorce and mental illness.[/quote]

You know the odd thing seems to be in that line? Even when they're behaving in the manner the parents like, the parents STILL aren't getting involved in the activities the children enjoy. It seems like they're spending time in close proximity to their kids, but not with them.

What I seriously wonder here is that, what are these kids going to be like in 12years? You can deny your kid enjoyments when they are young. But, these kids will go to college. If they can't handle videogames, how do you handle drinking parties and sex (when mom and dad aren't there). How do you learn to deny yourself some pleasures to meet a goal (not going to party so I can study for a test), when you don't have the bad experience when your 10?

These kids could have a very rough transition it their parents get rid of everything that causes any disagreements. How are they going to be ready for the "real world"

[quote name='JSweeney']You know the odd thing seems to be in that line? Even when they're behaving in the manner the parents like, the parents STILL aren't getting involved in the activities the children enjoy. It seems like they're spending time in close proximity to their kids, but not with them.[/QUOTE]
Creating miniature pod children....

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Ever think maybe that it was the fact that you barely let the kids have any fun, and had them playing with just Lincoln Logs and Legos all day that when they got a real "toy" they actually realized there was fun to be had, and they went too far with it?[/quote]

Right! What happens when these kids go to college & discover videogames and internet surfing? They won't be able to handle it & will skip classes & flunk out.

Don't shelter children. Teach them responsibility to separate gaming for weekend fun and say "yes" to school during the day.

bread's done
Back