*Price Change* Halo Reach pre-order 49.99 @ Newegg + free shipping

mrniceguy8

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the heads up. I'm not a big Halo fan but I rather enjoyed the little bit of the beta I played at my cousin's house. Definitely worth it for the $45 tax free price.

Does Newegg charge you right away for pre-order items or do they charge you when it ships. Thanks.

I would like to know if Newegg gives the pre-order bonus (armor?) that Amazon and Gamestop, etc. are offering.

[quote name='Linwood']Does Newegg charge you right away for pre-order items or do they charge you when it ships. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

As far as I'm aware and from what I can remember, they only charge you when it ships. I honestly can't remember if that's 100% true but I'm fairly confident of that. I pre-ordered it just a bit ago so I'll let you know if I get any surprises.

[quote name='luckyjat']I would like to know if Newegg gives the pre-order bonus (armor?) that Amazon and Gamestop, etc. are offering.[/QUOTE]

I don't believe they are offering any of the pre-order bonuses that Amazon and Gamestop are offering. Nothing that I could find on the site saying otherwise.

Not to crap on the OP, but Gamestop/Amazon have a recon helmet with preorder, and I bet you could probably sell it on eBay and cover the cost of the game and then some. That's my plan, anyway.

w00t! Thanks!
I've been waiting to find the right place to reserve this. I couldn't find anything I'd want to use the $20 credit at Walmart or Amazon on, so I just never made my reservation. This is perfect. Thanks for the heads up!

[quote name='Navigator2001Plus']Not to crap on the OP, but Gamestop/Amazon have a recon helmet with preorder, and I bet you could probably sell it on eBay and cover the cost of the game and then some. That's my plan, anyway.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure the recon helmet comes with ALL new (or at least pre-order) copies of the game. You also get it from Walmart and here is the description on their site:

Once reserved only for the most dedicated and decorated Spartans, the MJOLNIR Mark VI Recon armor variant was developed in the heart of ONI?s Ordnance Testing Facility B5D for high priority reconnaissance missions. Now, available exclusively via all initial copies of the game, the coveted Recon helmet with the Visor/Blast Shield (stowed) variant is available for use in Halo: Reach?s campaign and multiplayer modes. Reserve you copy of Halo: Reach and pick up your copy on Launch Day and receive a token to download the exclusive Recon helmet. (While Supplies last)

I wouldn't bank on making your money back via selling a code.

Now that's a good price on newegg and because I have to pay tax on amazon it would come to about the same, except having it cheaper upfront is better.

But I have amazon credit to use.

Good deal especially for those who do not have Amazon credit burning a hole in their wallets. No sales tax for most.

Amazon expects you to spend $20 credit after you buy the game whereas Newegg gives you an instant discount.
If you often order from Amazon it's clearly a better deal to pre-order it from Amazon.

As for the pre-order bonus, the in-game recon helmet is included in the first printed copies of Halo: Reach for all Microsoft's official retailers including Newegg.

[quote name='svtcobrastang1984']20 dollar credit + gold box price for halo reach = 36.99 base price on amazon. I think I will stick with my amazon order.[/QUOTE]

There's a difference between getting straight money off a game and getting credit toward a new game. The math doesn't exactly work like you all seem to think it does with these.

Not saying one's better than the other, but many people would prefer to save now and not have to spend money on another game.

It actually comes out to be the same savings.

Newegg has 3 day UPS shipping where Amazon has release date delivery. But after all savings...they both come to 45 dollars.

It comes down to whether you know your gonna buy another game or would rather save 20 now rather than later

So is the 3 day shipping like 3 business days after release? I've never preorder on Newegg. I would much rather have the instant savings but if I have to wait a week for it (business days and all)...then I'll go with Amazon

Just pre-ordered this and canceled my Amazon pre-order no problem (just a heads up for anyone looking to do the same). I prefer $15 off instantly rather than $20 game credit and have NY sales tax slapped on to the final price.

new egg wins
they will probably get it to me faster than amazons free shipping plus im not forced to find something to spend $20 credit on. after tax it's all the same in NY, but i love that newegg does charge tax and has free shipping.

I talked to a customer service guy on Newegg and he said it could take a day or two to process the order followed by 3 days to ship it. I'm not sure he understand what I'm asking but if that's true, it would be the following week because of the whole business day deal.

I'm gonna do Amazon. I know I'm gonna get Gears 3 so at the worst, I just plop down the credit way early on a game like Gears, Diablo 3 or Killzone 3. Also, LBP2 and Assassins Creed Brotherhood later this year...I'm sure I'll use it

[quote name='ShockandAww']I'm pretty sure the recon helmet comes with ALL new (or at least pre-order) copies of the game. You also get it from Walmart and here is the description on their site:

Once reserved only for the most dedicated and decorated Spartans, the MJOLNIR Mark VI Recon armor variant was developed in the heart of ONI?s Ordnance Testing Facility B5D for high priority reconnaissance missions. Now, available exclusively via all initial copies of the game, the coveted Recon helmet with the Visor/Blast Shield (stowed) variant is available for use in Halo: Reach?s campaign and multiplayer modes. Reserve you copy of Halo: Reach and pick up your copy on Launch Day and receive a token to download the exclusive Recon helmet. (While Supplies last)[/QUOTE]

They got 2 versions of the recon preorder dont they? I remember something posting 2 different versions of the recon preorder. I only liked the one and not the other.

[quote name='jdktech2010']I talked to a customer service guy on Newegg and he said it could take a day or two to process the order followed by 3 days to ship it. I'm not sure he understand what I'm asking but if that's true, it would be the following week because of the whole business day deal.

I'm gonna do Amazon. I know I'm gonna get Gears 3 so at the worst, I just plop down the credit way early on a game like Gears, Diablo 3 or Killzone 3. Also, LBP2 and Assassins Creed Brotherhood later this year...I'm sure I'll use it[/QUOTE]

So it's not gonna be release day delivery? :cry:

EDIT: Ughh...tax killed the deal for me, $48.xx shipped :cry: :cry:

As tempting as this is, I think I'm going to stick with my Amazon order. I don't have any credit, but there's no proof every pre order comes with the Recon helmet, and I'm going to spend the $20 credit I get from Amazon toward my pre-order of CoD: Black Ops. Yeah, I'm a big FPS guy.

Thanks for the heads-up, though, OP!

It would be hilarious (and awesome) if Amazon decides to price match it AND keep the $20 credit attached. That would be the ultimate dagger as far as this game goes.

[quote name='tmacairjordan87']It would be hilarious (and awesome) if Amazon decides to price match it AND keep the $20 credit attached. That would be the ultimate dagger as far as this game goes.[/QUOTE]

Hilarious? Yes

Probable? No.....but 45 dollars isn't bad for a game that's gonna last me months upon months

Amazon charges me tax (I'm from New York) so it is either $65.31 with the $20 gaming credit or $44.99 with an instant $20 savings. I think I'm gonna go with Newegg but I'll keep my Amazon order open just in case they decide to match Newegg AND still offer the $20 credit. Thanks OP!

Edit - Don't forget 2% Bing cashback! Works out to 90 cents. :D

Thanks OP. I jumped on it. And that is really saying something since I haven't preordered a game since Sonic Adventure 2 on the Dreamcast.

(Which btw, was the last good Sonic game... He died shortly thereafter.)

So I emailed Amazon about this and while they said they had no plans of matching this deal, for whatever reason they decided to give me a $15 promotional credit (basically matching it, at least for me personally). I haven't looked yet but the phrasing of the email makes it seem like it works like their video game credit, I.E. only seeing it when you place an order. This is what they said to me.

"I'd like to give you a $15 promotional certificate, which you can use the next time you order an item shipped and sold by Amazon.com. You'll see your available promotional balance at checkout--this amount will be applied to your next order automatically without entering a claim code. Your promotional balance doesn't appear in Your Account but will always display when you place an order. For more information about using your promotional certificate, including the terms and conditions for using the certificate, visit our Help pages"

So I guess for those interested in buying from Amazon you can try emailing them about it. Can't guarantee it will work though, as this was completely unexpected.

Edit: Just checked, and they definitely gave me $15 credit so I'll definitely get it through them since they're also offering the $20 credit for the game.

[quote name='tmacairjordan87']So I emailed Amazon about this and while they said they had no plans of matching this deal, for whatever reason they decided to give me a $15 promotional credit (basically matching it, at least for me personally). I haven't looked yet but the phrasing of the email makes it seem like it works like their video game credit, I.E. only seeing it when you place an order. This is what they said to me.

"I'd like to give you a $15 promotional certificate, which you can use the next time you order an item shipped and sold by Amazon.com. You'll see your available promotional balance at checkout--this amount will be applied to your next order automatically without entering a claim code. Your promotional balance doesn't appear in Your Account but will always display when you place an order. For more information about using your promotional certificate, including the terms and conditions for using the certificate, visit our Help pages"

So I guess for those interested in buying from Amazon you can try emailing them about it. Can't guarantee it will work though, as this was completely unexpected.

Edit: Just checked, and they definitely gave me $15 credit so I'll definitely get it through them since they're also offering the $20 credit for the game.[/QUOTE]

Gave it a shot...can't hurt anything

By the way, the email I received said the deals listed in the ad would end in 24 hours. Halo Reach was in the ad so I'm assuming it to will end in 24 hours. The email has a countdown which ends in a little less than 6 hours, so just to be safe if you're thinking about picking the game up, you better do it soon. They may extend the promo though, hopefully.

I decided to just go ahead with Amazon...I know I'll get it on release date and I know I'm gonna use the 20 dollar credit so it all evens out when all is said and done.

[quote name='Navigator2001Plus']Gamestop/Amazon have a recon helmet with preorder, and I bet you could probably sell it on eBay and cover the cost of the game and then some. That's my plan, anyway.[/QUOTE]

You're going to sell a downloadable code for $60+? Good luck.

[quote name='Kendro']Amazon charges me tax (I'm from New York) so it is either $65.31 with the $20 gaming credit or $44.99 with an instant $20 savings. I think I'm gonna go with Newegg but I'll keep my Amazon order open just in case they decide to match Newegg AND still offer the $20 credit. Thanks OP!

Edit - Don't forget 2% Bing cashback! Works out to 90 cents. :D[/QUOTE]

Got my $0.90 Bing cashback notification a few hours after ordering from Newegg.

[quote name='thisboywillbreak']You're going to sell a downloadable code for $60+? Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm not bothered if it doesn't sell for anywhere near that. But the War Horse for Red Dead has sold for over 30 on eBay, and one of those Transformers DLC characters went for 100. People are stupid and will pay insane prices for game codes. And Halo is an even bigger franchise.

Now, if the recon helmet is actually included in all first prints of the game, that would surely drive the price down quite a bit, but I'm not going to go broke if I can't get anything out of it. I had Gamestop credit to use up anyways.

Sent an email to Amazon as well. Just in case, I'll order it from NewEgg and cancel if need be.

Ok this Is probably a stupid question but where on Amazon's sitedo you find the link to email Amazon? I've scoured their site for like 20 mins looking for it. Or you could just post the email address.

[quote name='GetGAME']Sent an email to Amazon as well. Just in case, I'll order it from NewEgg and cancel if need be.[/QUOTE]

Hello,

I'm sorry, but Amazon doesn’t offer a price match guarantee. We do spend considerable effort to ensure our prices are the lowest in the marketplace at any time. Because the marketplace is constantly changing and we strive to offer the lowest price, you’ll see some fluctuations in our prices over time.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

I thought what the heck and sent off an email to Amazon about my pre-order.
Got a really wordy reply detailing their policy of not PM'ing, but right at the bottom what did I read...

Hello,

Amazon doesn’t offer a price match guarantee. We consistently offer competitive prices on everything we carry; however, the prices on our website are subject to change. While the Amazon.com website has accurate pricing information, we can't honor prices or savings posted without our permission on other websites. You can visit our pricing policies in our Help pages to read more:

The price and availability of the items offered on our website are subject to change.

Your shopping cart will always reflect the most recent price and availability for an item, as displayed on the item's product detail page. The current price and availability of an item in your cart may differ from the price and availability that you saw when you first placed it in your cart. It is also possible that an item's price may decrease between the time you place it in your cart and the time you purchase it.

Some discounts are limited-time offers. Also, as the discount we are able to offer for any item is dependent upon its availability, Amazon.com's price will necessarily change on occasion.

Also, there may be times when Amazon.com runs out of stock of an item that is also offered by one of our partner merchants. When this happens, the item will be deleted from your shopping cart. You may see it displayed on our website as available, but from a different seller and with a different price than you saw previously. Our merchants set their own prices and availability.

We verify prices as part of our shipping procedures. If an item's correct price is lower than our stated price, we charge the lower amount and ship you the item. If an item's correct price is higher than our stated price, we will, at our discretion, either contact you for instructions before shipping or cancel your order and notify you of such cancellation.

Under the circumstances, I'll make a one-time exception for you and I've reduced the price of the item to the currently-listed price of $44.99. This is what you will be charged for the item when your order ships.

WOO HOO! Thanks OP!

Heh, I'm going to try one more time. There was a link to say that my answer wasn't answered. I'll just say basically the same thing; if they say no again, I won't be too hurt. $15 off isn't that bad from Newegg.

Thanks again OP.

Thanks for the link GetGAME. I sent an email as well and got back the same cut and paste 'rejection' letter as several other people. Oh well I want the Legendary edition anyway.

bread's done
Back