Price check: Sega Dreamcast Sealed in Box.

kinco

CAG Newbie
This guy wants to trade me a sealed Dreamcast and 50 games for my Xbox 360 collection which I conservatively value at $400ish. How much would a sealed DC go for or how much would a die-hard collected pay on here? Please let me know. Best guesses are better than nothing, because I have no clue. Cheers!

I checked Ebay and there is not much information on it. However, the 50 games, and the sealed Dreamcast, sweetens the deal to the point you should probably consider it.

There are plenty of completed auctions for the DC eBay but it's a pretty big range, falling anywhere from $100-350, depending on the system/bundle. But depending on the 50 games you're getting versus what you're giving up, it might be worth it. The 360 probably isn't going to die off any time soon since MS is fucking up pretty much everything with the X1 (meaning few people will move on from their 360).

It's the Black Sports edition is what he said. He said he also has some boxed (not sure about sealed) Sega CDs, Atari Jaguar NiB and a shitload of games for each. I don't know how to respond, because pricing this stuff is a small headache.

On second thought, I wouldn't take the risk. I'd say the sealed Dreamcast might possibly fetch $200-$300 on Ebay, but what do I know?

It's the Black Sports edition is what he said. He said he also has some boxed (not sure about sealed) Sega CDs, Atari Jaguar NiB and a shitload of games for each. I don't know how to respond, because pricing this stuff is a small headache.
The sports bundles are probably the least valuable DCs. A NiB Jaguar would fall in the same range as a DC. Sega CDs consoles come in four different varieties: the CDX or JVC X'eye models are the goods ones while the Model 1 (goes under the Genesis) and Model 2 (side-by-side with the Genesis) have lots of reliability issues. Only the X'eye and CDX are worth a decent amount ($150-ish for just the system, controller and hook-ups).

The games are what will make or break this deal. I would ask him for a list, and then use VGPC to compare game values for both his list and yours. VGPC lists can be broken down by highest to lowest, which should help speed things up. I know you said you did a conservative estimate of your games, but it never hurts to re-check, in case you missed a gem in there.

I didn't see this mentioned yet, but are the games complete? A complete game can drastically improve the price of a game, especially for old titles (sometimes 3-4x).

You can ignore some games based on these general rules: a) sports games are almost never valuable minus a few exceptions, b) popular games (Call of Duty, Halo, Sonic, etc.) are pretty much guaranteed to never be valuable, c) popular games that are brand new might be valuable, and d) generally, RPGs hold their value better than most other genres, and you could probably add survival horror to this category.

That probably doesn't help much but it's hard to gauge these things without being there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I disagree with Vinny. Sports edition Dreamcast in my opinion is one of the best editions that came out on US market. You should get get at least $200 for your collection.

The sports bundles are probably the least valuable DCs. A NiB Jaguar would fall in the same range as a DC. Sega CDs consoles come in four different varieties: the CDX or JVC X'eye models are the goods ones while the Model 1 (goes under the Genesis) and Model 2 (side-by-side with the Genesis) have lots of reliability issues. Only the X'eye and CDX are worth a decent amount ($150-ish for just the system, controller and hook-ups).

The games are what will make or break this deal. I would ask him for a list, and then use VGPC to compare game values for both his list and yours. VGPC lists can be broken down by highest to lowest, which should help speed things up. I know you said you did a conservative estimate of your games, but it never hurts to re-check, in case you missed a gem in there.

I didn't see this mentioned yet, but are the games complete? A complete game can drastically improve the price of a game, especially for old titles (sometimes 3-4x).

You can ignore some games based on these general rules: a) sports games are almost never valuable minus a few exceptions, b) popular games (Call of Duty, Halo, Sonic, etc.) are pretty much guaranteed to never be valuable, c) popular games that are brand new might be valuable, and d) generally, RPGs hold their value better than most other genres, and you could probably add survival horror to this category.

That probably doesn't help much but it's hard to gauge these things without being there.

I disagree with Vinny. Sports edition Dreamcast in my opinion is one of the best editions that came out on US market. You should get get at least $200 for your collection.
The prices for the non-sports version seems to hit $200+ pretty regularly whereas the sports bundle seems to be in the range closer to $150 (ignoring the one that sold for $90, that was badly priced BiN), but then again, there isn't much data about the black DC.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back